Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki Boulevard S40

New (Sort of) Rider, New (Sort of) Bike

#1 Unread post by NC Narrator »

Hello everyone!

So today I came home with my first grown-up motorcycle! A 2006 Suzuki Boulevard S40 that's been sitting idle for at least five months - possibly longer.

I grew up riding in Wyoming - but we weren't allowed to ride on a road so it was strictly prairie poppin' and scaring the antelope. About three years ago I started looking at getting a motorcycle for my commute to work (I drive a little over an hour each way, four days a week), so I took the motorcycle class at our local community college. I'm about 5'3", so my short legs and short arms made finding a bike I was comfortable on was harder than I expected. Plus I turned out to be really picky: I actually expected to maintain highway speeds...even on the up side of a hill! :shock:

Now that I have my motorcycle, I have a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone have suggestions for jackets? I'm short and round, and all the jackets I've tried have arms that are WAY too long for me. I've been looking for several months now, and not having any luck. I'm not willing to ride the bike to work (at 65mph) without a jacket.

2. The bike has been sitting a while, and I'm getting a fair bit of popping and backfire (which I know is somewhat typical for the S40), so I'm looking at getting it tuned up. How much does that usually run? I ask because I'm fairly knowledgeable with cars, and I've had mechanics try to massively overcharge me because...to be blunt...I have breasts and therefore they think I won't know any better. I don't want that to happen with my bike.

Thanks for the help!

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: New (Sort of) Rider, New (Sort of) Bike

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

You have breasts? Funny, so do I, but at one time I did have pecs. :lol: :lol:

As for your jacket question. Well, I also have problems find gear that fits properly, always have even when I was a thin studly young buck, and not the old rotund geezer I've become. Seems most gear makers figure all riders stand 5'3" and are thin as rails or fat as an old grizzly bear. I got my current riding jacket custom made. Cost a few dollars more and I had to wait two months for it, but it was worth it. I would suggest you look around for a local leather worker or ask your local stealership or mechanic if they can recommend someone who can custom make you a jacket.
Always ask why.

NC Narrator
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by NC Narrator »

Thanks for the suggestion ceemes! I was hoping (and my husband was REALLY hoping) to get one of those cool jackets with the kevlar on the back and arms...but when the arms don't fit right the kevlar that's supposed to be over my elbows ends up on my forearms. There's a good leatherworker in my area, so I can check with him and see what a jacket might cost.

BTW - I work for a guy from Canada! Actually, he's from England but he moved to Canada and I work in his machine shop in the US. He splits his time - weekdays here and weekends up north. The other machinist I work with is from Hungary. We're international! :-)

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Welcome to TMW, NC Narrator.

If you can find a jacket that fits you everywhere except for the length of the sleeves, then just take it to a tailor to have the sleeves shortened.

Do you get to ride all year in North Carolina?

NC Narrator
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by NC Narrator »

blues2cruise wrote:Do you get to ride all year in North Carolina?
Thanks for the welcome! I think you can ride year round - but I'm from Wyoming originally, so I suspect I have a wider range of acceptable weather. Cold doesn't bother me at all, and it rarely gets below 40 around here. When it does it's usually just a few days. Rain is an issue. We get those heavy rains that are like sitting in a car wash, and I wouldn't like riding in that with the huge ponds of standing water we get on the roads.

sdweltoro
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '15 HD XL1200T '12 Suzuki Boulevard S40

#6 Unread post by sdweltoro »

I have a 2012 Boulevard S40, along with my Harley. Both are nice bikes. The S40 would be good for a beginner or "return to riding" adult rider. Rowdy mid-sized bike; lots of fun.
2015 HD XL1200T
2012 Suzuki Blvd S40
:cowboy: