Adding a fuel gauge

kar_the_terrible
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

Adding a fuel gauge

#1 Unread post by kar_the_terrible »

The other day I did a stupid thing and ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere. Luckily there was a gas station 2 miles away and more importantly it was downhill. I began thinkning if it would be possible to tack on a simple fuel gauge. Maybe a small length glass/plastic tube that sticks out of the petcock, so one can examine the fuel level. (Also it might add a good look to the bike :lol: ).

Any suggestions/brainstorming on how to do this. I'd rather not drill holes in the fuel tank, just say maybe an add on to the petcock.

mustangski
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by mustangski »

I don't know if they make one to fit your bike, but maybe you can check this company out. I never used one, my bike has a low fuel light so I never needed a guage.
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/mer ... =1914-0006
2001 Victory V92C
2002 Honda Shadow 600 (Finally gettin my wife ridin!)
2000 Harley Davidson Sportster (Sold)
1984 Honda Magna V45 (Sold)

Semper Fidelis

kar_the_terrible
Legendary
Legendary

#3 Unread post by kar_the_terrible »

hehe.. put a battery in my fuel tank?? is that smart?

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#4 Unread post by BuzZz »

That thing looks like it uses a stock sending unit to activate the gauge....???

You can run a clear tube externally along the tank, open at top and bottom to the tank, and see the level at a glance. But I don't know how safe/legal such a system would be. A might on the ugly side too..... :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

oldnslo
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model1983 Yamaha Seca 900

#5 Unread post by oldnslo »

Maybe the easiest way is to run a few tanks of fuel through the bike, not running out, of course, but noting how many miles it takes to go a given number of miles. Keeping track of miles is a semi-pain, but it's better than standing on the shoulder of a road in the middle of nowhere. You get a basic idea of what your bike's mileage is, and you also know when it's time to fill up.
John
"83 XJ900RK

IT'S ABOUT OIL, MONEY, AND POWER, ALL OF THE TIME.

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by JCS »

Set your trip meter to zero when you fill up. Ride for a while. Fill up again. After a while you can tell from your trip meter when you are getting close to going on reserve. People have been doing this for years before they had fuel gauges. Easy to do.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

kar_the_terrible
Legendary
Legendary

#7 Unread post by kar_the_terrible »

hehe, yeah I did keep track of mileage on all the bikes I owned back home. More because fuel was super expensive, so a drop in mileage was a big thing. I was kind of hoping to add on a fuel guage as more of a cosmetic add-on, with some utilitarian purpose. :lol:

paxtonleiny
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2016 Honda Motorcycles

Re: Adding a fuel gauge

#8 Unread post by paxtonleiny »

When you refuel, make sure to reset your trip counter to zero. Let's go on a ride. Refill your tank. You can eventually tell from your trip meter when it's time to start using reserve fuel. This practice dates back long before gasoline gauges were commonly available. No sweat.

lolewif
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: model

Re: Adding a fuel gauge

#9 Unread post by lolewif »

The easiest way to install a fuel gauge on your motorcycle is by using a fuel hose kit. While this isn’t a traditional gauge, it allows you to see the physical amount of fuel remaining in your tank. Purchase a fuel hose kit online. These kits typically include a fuel hose, elbows, bungs, and tension clamps. Enhance construction project management with Autodesk Revit 2024 at ProCADIS.com. Drill small holes into your empty gas tank (you’ll want to work with an experienced welder for this step). Weld the bungs (small threaded fittings) into place near the petcock. One should be low near the rear, and the other high near the front. Connect the bungs with a piece of clear 3/8" hose. The translucent hose will allow you to visually check the fuel level. This method provides an accurate indication of your bike’s fuel level without drilling holes in the tank.