Inspiration Friday 262: Small ICE or Electric Engine?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Inspiration Friday 262: Small ICE or Electric Engine?

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Our most controversial one ever! Did I go too far? What do you think?

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/inspira ... ic-engine/

Motorcycles are incredibly efficient and “green” already. Do we truly need to ditch small internal combustion engines? With Government regulations, WEF, DAVOS, climate change, ESG, or the Pope saying “The world is collapsing”, the times they say are a changing indeed. But are they really? Is it Government overreach and restrictions on freedom? Are all the decisions completely unbiased? Do consumers, industry and governments are understand what they signed up for? Do we even have the power to charge electric at all if we remove coal, nuclear, natural gas, wood and oil?

“Our Freedoms are Under Attack!”, you might hear at rallies. What freedom’s are they talking about? Why are people so upset around the world? Like in the Pandemic, is your freedom of choice allowed if it goes against the common good? What even is “the common good” anyways? People talk about Democracy, but the USA isn’t a democracy it is a Republic. The UK isn’t a Democracy, it is a Monarchy and Canada and Australia well, they are Democratic Commonwealth’s.

Welcome to Inspiration Friday: Small ICE or Electric Engine this week, something unique, special and inspirational. Unlike other Inspiration Friday’s there won’t be a conclusion as I don’t know the conclusion to all this mess. Maybe it’s too political but we have to ask these questions regardless. I know my own biases, which if you haven’t guessed is more freedom of choice and right-leaning, but it also doesn’t mean I can’t see others choosing electric bikes for various reasons that makes sense for them as long at they allow me my choice.

It’s a massively big subject and I won’t dig into it here, if you have a few hours let’s talk someday! But for now, I’ll quote the infamous line “Do your Own Research” and provide you some links I think you should read to help you form, modify or solidify your own opinions.

So where does all this go? Well, here in 2023 (I was going to write 2024 as I just put up dozens of new 2024 bikes) we have are seeing a shift from every manufacturer, car or motorcycle, trying their best to put a square peg into the round hole of approved and upcoming regulations. That doesn’t mean the regulations are set in stone, it is what it is right now. Those regulations vary, but in general, no new ICE (Internal Combustion Engines) to be sold past 2030. And you can also forget about new gas stations being built as well (California and Vancouver, BC it’s illegal to build or replace a gas station now). We have also had the “average MPG regulation across an entire product line” for many years now to keep efficiencies in check (V8’s and 2000cc V-Twins, nice to have known you). That leaves us with our current 2023 and 2024 offerings which are changing for riders.

It’s incredibly hard to make something smaller without huge additional costs and/or loss of efficiency. Look at computers; mainframes vs desktops vs laptops vs cell phones. Just how long did it take for cell phones to be where they are today and still desktops are massively more powerful. Same with cars vs motorcycles vs eBikes. Gas motorcycles are in the fine-wine refining stage, they get ever so slightly better each year which electric bikes are in the Ford Model A stage now, they just developed what we call a “3 pedal manual” is vs the Model T stage of “look what I put together in the shed Ma!”.

This week (last week on TMW if you were a real keener) Kawasaki just released their first electric bikes, oh, 14 years or so after Zero and Brammo (that’s the 100% electric bikes manufacturers BTW). Let’s quickly take a look:

2024 Kawasaki Ninja e1 or 2024 Kawasaki Z e1: Top Speed ~52 mph (+13mph for 15 seconds) and 41 mile range, recharge takes 3.7 hours, it’s 300lbs and $7400 USD/$9500 CAD to buy.

on the gas front, yesterday, Triumph released pricing for their small 400cc Speed 400 and Scrambler 400’s:

2024 Triumph Speed 400: Top Speed: 100 mph and 275 mile range. Gas refueling takes a few minutes, it’s 375lbs and $5000 USD / $5600 CAD.

Now, I’m not picking on any company, I think it’s great Kawasaki is making electric bikes as a choice and Triumph is making small bikes as a choice. But I can tell you which one is the “no brainer” for me…can you guess which one that is?

Small gas engine or all-electric engine. No hybrids for motorcyclists, No hydrogen and no propane. I remember riders used to bicker over 2 vs 3 wheels, Full sized Harley-Davidson vs Sportster and even brand-vs-brand, now all that seems trivial doesn’t it? It’s solidly ICE or Electric. Pick one and be happy. Just allow those who value choice be able to choose.

Riders, it’s decision time. Local/country and international Governments may speak with their members/parties/treaties but you my dear consumer, speak with your buying dollars.

I predict this transition, depending on how fast it goes, we will see the end of many legendary brands, models and the exodus of riders from the sport before that void is filled with new riders. What will differentiate a Kawasaki from a Harley-Davidson other than plastic and decals in the future?

At least we have roads and can travel to far destinations for now and electric ranges will improve as years go on from 41 miles to something even close to day tripping distances!

And with that I’ll leave it there for your own local, emotion and imagination to take over. Have an inspiring day and weekend from Total Motorcycle!

Note: *+1.5°C above “pre-industrial temperate” doesn’t sound bad, especially if you live in cold climate with -40°C!

Check out all the new 2023 and 2024 Motorcycles on Total Motorcycle. No one on the internet does it better than TMW for riders worldwide. Thank you for supporting a family owned and run business.

Also, don’t forget to support us to support you and riders worldwide. We always could use more gas in the tank.

Total Motorcycle would like to thank Kawasaki, Triumph and our over 400 million of motorcycle riders and enthusiasts who visit and support TMW for inspiring us to bring you this week’s?

Each week we bring you another Inspiring Motorcycle story to inspire you to get out and ride.

Join Total Motorcycle here and help us by joining Total Motorcycle’s new YouTube Membership and $2/mo Patreon channels.

Please help us help riders, support motorcyclists and motorcycling worldwide today.

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/inspira ... ic-engine/
NEW 2025 Motorcycle Model Guides
2024 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.