2009 Honda DN-01 - COOL WALL VOTE: FAIL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2009 Honda DN-01 is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2009 Honda DN-01 - COOL WALL VOTE: FAIL

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2009 Honda DN-01

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... a-DN01.htm

2009 Honda DN-01

Honda's stunning new DN-01 is in a class of its own—the world's first crossover bike. Styled like a sportbike, but offering Honda's radical new HFT Transmission, it's an automatic unlike anything you've ever seen. You can shift it into six preset ratios, or you can let it function as a stepless, no-shifting Constantly Variable Transmission, or CVT. The DN-01 is a perfect choice if you're looking to get into motorcycling or if you're just a long-time rider who wants to be on the most cutting-edge bike out there.

It's like no motorcycle you've ever seen. And it's definitely like no motorcycle you've ever ridden. The revolutionary Honda DN-01 is designed to create a nearly seamless connection between you and your riding environment, with a relaxed, low seating position and a clear view to the road ahead. Its Human Friendly Transmission (HFT) allows you to ride in fully automatic mode, or you can shift it like a manual transmission via handy handlebar-mounted push buttons. You can even rev the powerful V-twin engine at stoplights, something most automatic transmissions won't allow.

Honda's reputation for forging new categories in motorcycling takes its latest form in the radical DN-01. This futuristic machine combines true sporting performance with a fully-automatic transmission, a low seat height and exceptional style.

Features & Benefits

- Colors include Candy Dark Red and Black.

Unique Features

- Powerful 4-valve, 680cc liquid-cooled V-twin engine.

- HFT transmission is a continuously variable, hydromechanical design that automatically and seamlessly changes drive ratios to produce strong, smooth acceleration. Unlike conventional belt-drive designs, HFT is compact, quiet, no scheduled maintenance, and features two automatic modes and a six-speed manual mode with push-button shifting.

- Low 27.2-inch seat height assures flat-footed confidence when stopped.

- Large-diameter 41mm front fork and single-shock Pro Arm® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section) provide a sporting ride on low-profile Z-rated radial tires.

- Combined ABS (LBS-ABS, see Technology Section) triple-disc brake system for sure-footed braking in varying conditions.

- Combined Braking System (CBS) provides excellent braking power for added confidence in a wide range of operating conditions. CBS applies front braking force whenever the rear brake is operated.
- On the DN-01, equipped with dual front disc brakes with three-piston calipers and a twin-piston rear caliper, rider application of the front-brake lever activates all six brake pistons in the front calipers. Application of the rear-brake pedal activates the dual pistons of the rear caliper and the center piston of the front-left caliper.

- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS w/CBS) utilizes modulators- one each on the front and rear wheels- driven directly by specially developed electric motors. In operation, an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) monitors wheel and vehicle speed. If one of both of the wheels approach a locking condition, the modulators, via a signal from the ECU, lower hydraulic pressure by acting directly on the brake piston(s). As wheel speed re-approaches motorcycle speed, the hydraulic pressure is increased. This entire process is repeated numerous times in just one second, resulting in optimal braking pressure and enhanced rider control.

- Beautiful aerodynamic design provides protection from the elements.

2009 Honda DN-01 - Specifications
MSRP: $14,599 USD

ENGINE

Engine Type 680cc liquid-cooled 52° V-Twin

Bore and Stroke 81mm x 66mm

Induction PGM-FI with automatic enrichment circuit, 40mm throttle bodies and 12-hole injectors

Ignition Digital transistorized with electronic advance

Compression Ratio 10.0:1

Valve Train SOHC; four valves per cylinder

DRIVE TRAIN

Transmission HFT continuously variable, hydromechanical two-mode automatic with six-speed manual mode.

Final Drive Shaft

CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES

Front Suspension 41mm telescopic fork with 4.2 inches travel

Rear Suspension Pro Arm single-side swingarm with single shock, seven-position spring preload adjustability; 4.7 inches travel

Front Brake Combined ABS with dual full-floating 296mm discs and three-piston calipers

Rear Brake Combined ABS with single 276mm disc and three-piston caliper

Front Tire 130/70 ZR17 radial

Rear Tire 190/50 ZR17 radial

DIMENSIONS

Rake (Caster Angle): 28.5°

Trail 114mm (4.5 inches)

Wheelbase 63.2 inches

Seat Height 27.2 inches

Curb Weight 595 lbs (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel—ready to ride)

Fuel Capacity 4.0 gallons, including .08-gallon reserve

OTHER

Emissions Meets current California Air Resources Board (CARB) and EPA standards

Available Colors Candy Dark Red, Black

Model ID NSA700A

Note HFT Automatic Transmission

FACTORY WARRANTY INFORMATION

One Year Unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2009 Honda DN-01 - COOL WALL VOTE: In progress

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I really wanted to pick a bike that will stir up the discussion and I think the Honda DN-01 is just the bike for that... in fact, is it really even a bike or is it a scooter? Is it our first FAIL vote bike or not?

Ah, the debate!

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Is it our first FAIL vote bike or not?
Anemic engine, overweight, no luggage or ability to carry anything, and they priced it at $15K (US). I've heard of dealers who've cut the price to half of that, and they still can't sell these things. What market was this bike aimed at? Noobs and seniors? The porky thing weighs 600lbs dry, ferpetesake!!!! Noobs and seniors need a light bike, not this porker. At least the Dullville (which shares the same engine) is 30lbs lighter and $5K cheaper. AND has useful carrying ability.

If you want a sporty ride with automatic, get a TMax. If you want to tour with automatic, get a Burgman or Silverwing. If you just want a plain cool looking bike with automatic, get a Mana. This thing is none of the above. FAIL!!!! Fail, fail, FAIL!!!! :rant:

(is that "stirred up" enuf fer ya, Mike???!!) :mrgreen:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

LongBeachNY_F4i
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2002 Honda CBR 600F4i

#4 Unread post by LongBeachNY_F4i »

I think they went off on a tangent with this model, but I really like the new 250cc Honda made for this year. Looks like a mini cbr and its great for new riders or smaller framed rider.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jstark47 wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:Is it our first FAIL vote bike or not?
Anemic engine, overweight, no luggage or ability to carry anything, and they priced it at $15K (US). I've heard of dealers who've cut the price to half of that, and they still can't sell these things. What market was this bike aimed at? Noobs and seniors? The porky thing weighs 600lbs dry, ferpetesake!!!! Noobs and seniors need a light bike, not this porker. At least the Dullville (which shares the same engine) is 30lbs lighter and $5K cheaper. AND has useful carrying ability.

If you want a sporty ride with automatic, get a TMax. If you want to tour with automatic, get a Burgman or Silverwing. If you just want a plain cool looking bike with automatic, get a Mana. This thing is none of the above. FAIL!!!! Fail, fail, FAIL!!!! :rant:

(is that "stirred up" enuf fer ya, Mike???!!) :mrgreen:

Oh, that's really good. :twss:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

LongBeachNY_F4i wrote:I think they went off on a tangent with this model, but I really like the new 250cc Honda made for this year. Looks like a mini cbr and its great for new riders or smaller framed rider.

:welcome2: LongBeachNY_F4i to the Total Motorcycle Community... (why not say Hi in the Welcome forum, you'll get a slew of welcomes)

What don't you like about it? Is it the design? The seating? The power? What do you think Honda could have done better?

Mike

LongBeachNY_F4i
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2002 Honda CBR 600F4i

#7 Unread post by LongBeachNY_F4i »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
LongBeachNY_F4i wrote:I think they went off on a tangent with this model, but I really like the new 250cc Honda made for this year. Looks like a mini cbr and its great for new riders or smaller framed rider.

:welcome2: LongBeachNY_F4i to the Total Motorcycle Community... (why not say Hi in the Welcome forum, you'll get a slew of welcomes)

What don't you like about it? Is it the design? The seating? The power? What do you think Honda could have done better?

Mike

OKKKK. HI EVERYONE, NEW TO COMMUNITY HERE, and looking forward to communicating with all members about the best rush in the world....RIDINGGGGGGGG.

As far as what I dont like...Wellll...The exhaust is hidious. It looks like metallic piece of 2x4 wood. The controls seem very far back over the fuel tank. It looks too stretched out in length. But what really kills me is the "automatic" transmission. This is a motorcycle, its meant to be shifted. You and the bike are one, you much work synergistic with it; feeling every gear, listening to it. Bikes are organic more than mechanistic. A motorcycle is nothing without its rider, as it takes balance, precognitive thinking, and high concentration to operate; where as, a car can pretty much drive on its own (almost anyone can drive a car).

Those are my 2 cents and hope to be an active member on here from here on out.

MiKe

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#8 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Okay boys 'n girls... so far I'm the only one NOT to vote fail (I voted uncool) so let me explain.

For the long term everyday rider this bike sucks. For us, we don't want automatic, heavy, slow, long, UGLY, etc...

BUT for the older man who is new to riding or hasn't ridden since he was 16 (I know, I'm stereotyping here) I can actually see a reasonable market for it.

And hey, it's a Honda so it will last forever! Isn't that enough to not choose fail? :laughing:

Battle is on...

:pirate:
Andrea :sun:

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#9 Unread post by jstark47 »

sunshine229 wrote:BUT for the older man who is new to riding or hasn't ridden since he was 16 (I know, I'm stereotyping here) I can actually see a reasonable market for it.
List price is $15,599. Brand new examples are being unloaded on Cycletrader for as low as $7,999. I think that speaks to what kind of market there is for it..... :laughing:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#10 Unread post by High_Side »

I voted fail as I think most will. I'm all for trying something new but what an abomination.