46 Years of Models
+ 2017 Motorcycles
+ 2016 Motorcycles
+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2000 - 2009 Models
+ 1990 - 1999 Models
+ 1980 - 1989 Models
+ 1970 - 1979 Models
+ ATV Guides
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Biker's Dictionary
+ Buyer's Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ MPG Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Cool Wall
+ Performance Guide
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW History
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converters
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Photo Gallery
+ Google Plus
+ Old Photo Gallery
+ TMW Merchandise
Advertising & Media
+ Contact Us
+ Site Map
All content on Total Motorcycle is copyright protected and actively monitored by DMCA Protection Services.
Motorcycle is family owned and operated
By Riders, For Riders, 250 Million readers for over 16 years.
Back to 2009 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
- 2009 Honda DN-01
2009 Honda DN-01
Honda's stunning new DN-01 is in a class of its ownthe world's first crossover bike. Styled like a sportbike, but offering Honda's radical new HFT Transmission, it's an automatic unlike anything you've ever seen. You can shift it into six preset ratios, or you can let it function as a stepless, no-shifting Constantly Variable Transmission, or CVT. The DN-01 is a perfect choice if you're looking to get into motorcycling or if you're just a long-time rider who wants to be on the most cutting-edge bike out there.
It's like no motorcycle you've ever seen. And it's definitely like no motorcycle you've ever ridden. The revolutionary Honda DN-01 is designed to create a nearly seamless connection between you and your riding environment, with a relaxed, low seating position and a clear view to the road ahead. Its Human Friendly Transmission (HFT) allows you to ride in fully automatic mode, or you can shift it like a manual transmission via handy handlebar-mounted push buttons. You can even rev the powerful V-twin engine at stoplights, something most automatic transmissions won't allow.
Honda's reputation for forging new categories in motorcycling
takes its latest form in the radical DN-01. This futuristic machine combines
true sporting performance with a fully-automatic transmission, a low seat
height and exceptional style.
Features & Benefits
- Colors include Candy Dark Red and Black.
- Powerful 4-valve, 680cc liquid-cooled V-twin engine.
- HFT transmission is a continuously variable, hydromechanical design that automatically and seamlessly changes drive ratios to produce strong, smooth acceleration. Unlike conventional belt-drive designs, HFT is compact, quiet, no scheduled maintenance, and features two automatic modes and a six-speed manual mode with push-button shifting.
- Low 27.2-inch seat height assures flat-footed confidence when stopped.
- Large-diameter 41mm front fork and single-shock Pro Arm® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section) provide a sporting ride on low-profile Z-rated radial tires.
- Combined ABS (LBS-ABS, see Technology Section) triple-disc brake system for sure-footed braking in varying conditions.
- Combined Braking System (CBS) provides excellent braking power for added confidence in a wide range of operating conditions. CBS applies front braking force whenever the rear brake is operated.
- On the DN-01, equipped with dual front disc brakes with three-piston calipers and a twin-piston rear caliper, rider application of the front-brake lever activates all six brake pistons in the front calipers. Application of the rear-brake pedal activates the dual pistons of the rear caliper and the center piston of the front-left caliper.
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS w/CBS) utilizes modulators- one each on the front and rear wheels- driven directly by specially developed electric motors. In operation, an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) monitors wheel and vehicle speed. If one of both of the wheels approach a locking condition, the modulators, via a signal from the ECU, lower hydraulic pressure by acting directly on the brake piston(s). As wheel speed re-approaches motorcycle speed, the hydraulic pressure is increased. This entire process is repeated numerous times in just one second, resulting in optimal braking pressure and enhanced rider control.
- Beautiful aerodynamic design provides protection from the elements.
- Compact 680cc, liquid-cooled SOHC 52-degree V-Twin provides substantial torque and power for everyday commuting and spirited backroad riding.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI, see Technology Section) with twin 40mm throttle bodies and high-performance 12-hole injectors provide excellent throttle response and fuel economy while contributing to low emissions.
- Auto enrichment system is integrated into PGM-FI to optimize the air/fuel mixture on cold starts and eliminates the need for a choke.
- ECU-controlled, closed-loop emission control system with oxygen sensor manage the air/fuel mixture and reduce exhaust emissions.
- Front-mounted radiator receives ducted air from fairing shroud to maximize cooling.
- 2-into-1 stainless steel exhaust system with chrome-plated triangular shaped tailpipe is designed to centralize mass for improved handling.
- HFT offers two fully automatic, infinitely variable transmission modes - 'D' (Drive) mode for ordinary riding, and 'S' (Sport) mode for sharper acceleration. In addition, a push-button-selectable, six-speed manual mode allows the rider to upshift/downshift with the simple operation of left thumb-activated buttons.
- The ECU-controlled HFT automatically 'downshifts' when climbing steep grades to maintain optimum power.
- HFT provides 'lock-up' in cruising mode for maximum fuel economy.
- HFT features button-activated mechanical neutral, permitting engine revving when stopped. Mechanical neutral is automatically engaged whenever the engine is turned off, allowing easy maneuverability.
- Sturdy double-cradle steel tube frame provides exceptional strength and bolt-on seat rail simplifies servicing.
- Stout 41mm front fork with 4.2 inches of supple travel and progressive damping.
- Relaxed 28.5-degree rake and 4.5 inches of trail contribute to comfortable, stretched-out riding position and provide excellent straight-line handling.
- Single shock, Pro Arm Rear Suspension (see Technology Section).
- Combined ABS (LBS-ABS, see Technology Section) with two lightweight 296mm floating front rotors and a single 276mm rear rotor.
- Handsome, lightweight 17-inch 5-spoke cast aluminum wheels with Z-rated 130/70 ZR17 (front) and 190/50 ZR17 (rear) radial tires offer sport-touring traction and comfort in wet and dry riding conditions.
- The DN-01's sleek, aerodynamic bodywork is functional and beautiful.
- Low, polycarbonate windshield allows some air into the cockpit at lower speeds.
- Low 27.2-inch seat height with wide passenger seat provides all-day riding comfort and allows rider to put both feet down at stops or when parking motorcycle.
- Well-placed mirrors provide an excellent rear view.
- Spacious rider footboards enhance riding comfort without compromising cornering performance.
- Handy one-touch, cable-actuated parking brake.
- White LED-backlit, LCD instrument panel provides multi-segment tachometer and large digital speedometer displays with dual-trip calculator, clock, six-segment fuel gauge, plus large turn signal and 'neutral' indicators.
- Mass-centralized 4.0-gallon dual-compartment fuel tank with .8-gallon reserve.
- Dual-element headlights provide right-side low beam operation- just like Honda CBRs- while both beams illuminate in high-beam mode. A brilliant multi-segment LED taillight is integrated into the rear cowl.
- Widely spaced turn indicators are mounted on rearview mirrors for style and function.
- Detachable seat provides storage for a U-lock. (Lock not included.)
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USA- certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Riders Club of America® (HRCA®).
Honda Genuine Accessories
- A custom-styled backrest for extra passenger comfort.
- Rugged, full-coverage body cover.
2009 Honda DN-01 - USA Specifications
MSRP: $14,599 USD
Engine Type 680cc liquid-cooled 52° V-Twin
Bore and Stroke 81mm x 66mm
Induction PGM-FI with automatic enrichment circuit, 40mm throttle bodies and 12-hole injectors
Ignition Digital transistorized with electronic advance
Compression Ratio 10.0:1
Valve Train SOHC; four valves per cylinder
Transmission HFT continuously variable, hydromechanical two-mode automatic with six-speed manual mode.
Final Drive Shaft
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Front Suspension 41mm telescopic fork with 4.2 inches travel
Rear Suspension Pro Arm single-side swingarm with single shock, seven-position spring preload adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
Front Brake Combined ABS with dual full-floating 296mm discs and three-piston calipers
Rear Brake Combined ABS with single 276mm disc and three-piston caliper
Front Tire 130/70 ZR17 radial
Rear Tire 190/50 ZR17 radial
Rake (Caster Angle): 28.5°
Trail 114mm (4.5 inches)
Wheelbase 63.2 inches
Seat Height 27.2 inches
Curb Weight 595 lbs (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuelready to ride)
Fuel Capacity 4.0 gallons, including .08-gallon reserve
Emissions Meets current California Air Resources Board (CARB) and EPA standards
Available Colors Candy Dark Red, Black
Model ID NSA700A
Note HFT Automatic Transmission
FACTORY WARRANTY INFORMATION
One Year Unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
2009 Honda DN-01 - Canada Specifications
MSRP: $TBA CDN
Engine Type Liquid-cooled 52-degree V-twin
Displacement 680 cc
Bore & Stroke 81 mm x 66 mm
Compression Ratio 10:01
Valve Train Chain-driven SOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Fuel Delivery PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
Transmission HFT with internal hydraulic control
Final Drive Shaft
Front Suspension 41 mm telescopic fork; 106 mm (4.2 in.) travel
Rear Suspension Single shock with spring preload adjustment; 120 mm (4.7 in.) travel
Tires 130/70ZR17 radial front; 190/50ZR17 radial rear
Brakes Front dual 296 mm discs with triple-piston calipers; rear 276 mm disc with dual-piston caliper. Combined Braking System with Anti-lock Braking System
Seat Height 690 mm (27.2 in.)
Wheelbase 1,605 mm (63.2 in.)
Curb Weight TBA
Fuel Capacity 15.1 litres, including 3-litre reserve
Colour Graphite Black