Riding in the UK on my Kawasaki ZR750F

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wrider wrote:So how are you liking being across the pond? Kinda weird riding/driving on the wrong side of the road?
And yes you're wrong SV-Wolf! Cars were popular here first! :laughing:
It's just temporary till October 1st, but what an experience to see the rest of the world. It's so cheap to fly, like crazy $10 round trip flight cheap!

England is really full of people, amazingly packed in London. You can't walk down the street without weaving back and forth not to bump into someone and that goes on for tens of miles in any direction. Driving is always quite the experience as there are speed cameras everywhere, traffic jams that can last 10 hours and round-a-bouts that will twist and turn you till you get lost! If you ever come to England bring a GPS and a lot of spending cash to just buy stuff.

In fact, I filled up the motorcycle and it cost me $44 Candian! %@#%@!~!

Driving on the other side of the road took some getting used to for the first bit, it's really different making a right turn to go across the intersection and the round-a-bouts are an interesting idea, but I still like the 4-way stop better myself. Oh and cars DO NOT stop for peds here either.

It really shows how special North America is in the world when you take into account clean air, beautiful diverse scenery, low cost everything and you are not bumping into people or waiting in a traffic jam everyday. But England has it's uniqueness too, like amazing pubs and curry!

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

dr_bar wrote:
Wrider wrote:So how are you liking being across the pond? Kinda weird riding/driving on the wrong side of the road?
And yes you're wrong SV-Wolf! Cars were popular here first! :laughing:

(Remember, those roads were built for chariots...)
And there are quite a few straight ones too, but most are really really wacky, snakey, winding things that make your head spin... :laughing:

Nothing like idling in a traffic jam at $8US a gallon gas...

Oh, and I forgot to mention you CAN lane-split here. No, I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'll follow another motorcyclist doing it then I'll know how to cut back into traffic without giving another driver road rage.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

The new bike is really nice, I went out with a ride with Mashby last weekend and had some fun there with him for a few hours riding the country roads of Southern England. Although my butt was really sore before I met him because it was a 1.5 hours there (M25) and a little over an hour back from his house and I was doubling Andrea on the back.

I did blow a 30A main fuse on the bike but got that fixed right away, could have been an old fuse as it's been fine for the last few rides out after that.

The English roads are really neat, quite different than the Albertian and BC ones I am used to. Tight, curvy, fast but with quite a lot of blind corners. Some of the roads are only a car and a half wide with others only a car width (seriously), very curvy and being 40mph (which is like doing that in your back lane!

When I come back I'll have this type of riding experience added to my skill set. I could see why cruisers are not that popular over here as the roads really don't suit them. But having one on the high streets would be fun. :D

Overall so far it has been a lot of fun, and I've been watching my speed too thanks to all the darn speed cameras plastered on every poll on most roads. The 750cc inline four is proving to be a lot of fun with the high revvs and light weight over the V-strom 650. The 5 speed ZR7F is torquey on the low end and 2nd/3rd geat is a treat. But it's the feeling of the revvy engine that is winning me over. I might have to look for a inline4 when I get back as it's a addicting rush on these roads... haha

Vroom Vroom.

Mike

P.S. I should add as well that I got the opportunity to lane split on some occasions. Such as lane splitting on the M25

This is when I would lane split on the M25...(above)

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#14 Unread post by jaskc78 »

i have to say, that is one sexy lookin' bike you got there.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#15 Unread post by High_Side »

Thats a great classic looking Kwacker Mike. I don't remember you gushing so much about the V-Strom, so maybe this really is your type of bike. It holds more than just a passing resemblence to the Seca, so I think that you have found your niche. This is a great picture, did you take it?
totalmotorcycle wrote: Image
totalmotorcycle wrote: Looking forward to riding some more once this English wet weather dries up a bit. :D
Mike
It shouldn't be long :P :

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jaskc78 wrote:i have to say, that is one sexy lookin' bike you got there.
Thanks so much! I really never understood why these naked bikes were never very popular or offered in any number in North America. They are great bikes, easy to work on and comfortable too. Plus, who can say no to something that looks so good naked? :naughtynaughty:

:laughing:

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:Thats a great classic looking Kwacker Mike. I don't remember you gushing so much about the V-Strom, so maybe this really is your type of bike. It holds more than just a passing resemblence to the Seca, so I think that you have found your niche. This is a great picture, did you take it?
totalmotorcycle wrote: Image
That's true. The V-strom was a very good bike, the most practicle bike I've ever owen really. I definately can't say anything bad about it, it just never really stirred the pot for me. :mrgreen:

The ZR7F does look similar to the Seca now that you mention it:

It's definately a UJM of today. I do like it, but I'd also like it in the 1000 or bigger cc version as well. :race2:

No, sadly, I need to stop and take photos of where I am riding my ZR7 around, the issue I am having is there is no shoulder to pull over on! The roads are just so tight they never designed them for a "pull over area". Next time I go out I'll see what I can do. But the photo is very close to the type of roads I'm riding on. :D

totalmotorcycle wrote: Looking forward to riding some more once this English wet weather dries up a bit. :D
Mike
It shouldn't be long :P :
Ah, so true! Although we have had some nice weather for up to Thursday, yesterday and today have been rainly and gloomy. When I saw the photo above I thoguht you were meaning "Just wait till we are back in Calgary in October for the frozen weather...haha"

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

A little acceleration testing...

:laughing:

I have a stretch of 60mph highway close by (A40) and wanted to do some acceleration testing on the Z750. For ah... "research purposes"... Anyways, just up to 65mph from a rolling start in 2nd and 3rd gear. I try to have as much fun as possible within the law.

On WOT (wide open throttle) in 2nd the Z750F really blasts off. The bike wants to come up on you so sifting your weight more forward helps the bike stay put. In seconds you are at 9,500rpm in 2nd gear going 60ish mph. I know a few cars that were behind me were little specks in the mirror when I looked, I'm sure they were equally "impressed" with my testest as I was. Quite the blast of frontal wind (naked bike, no shield) comes up quickly.

Exhaust sounds good but I do see why many riders opt for a aftermarket one. :mrgreen:

Well, the acceleration (or wind from it) must have been great because my neck is so bloody sore the day after. Ouch. :laughing:

I do love torque. Will have to look into a Yamaha FZ1 or Yamaha MT01 as possible next bike candidates when I get back to Canada. :D

Although you never know what other sweet bike might come by and tickle my fancy.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Just a note: I re-bled my front brakes and this stiffened them up a little more.

Also I do miss a dual exhaust on the naked bike. :D I find just the one exhaust on the left side looks a little unbalanced on the Z750F...

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Breakspear Road South.

"There is something really fun about this 40mph road that has hairpin curves, sweeping curves, hills and lots of canpoy trees. Sometimes it's clear of traffic, but rush hour isn't that fun on it."

Well, aparently from word of mouth of the locals I've picked the most accident prone and dangerous road (Breakspear Road South) to ride on I could in the area... :laughing: Just 2 weeks ago a rider couldn't take one of the 10mph turns (I don't have any story about it) and passed away.

So, with that in mind I'll have to slow down a bit more on this rollercoaster of a fun road to ride till I find another fun road to substitute it with.

The problem is there isn't many good, little traffic, roads in the area to ride on. You would think living on the outskirts of a London suburb that there would be county roads/lanes just at my door step. Well, yes and no. The biggest issue is x2 the population of Canada lives on this island which means there is always traffic, and a town every 5 miles on any road within 2 hours ride of me (which is around 140 miles). The culture and heritage is amazing because of this, but finding peace and quiet and not having to battle traffic can wear on you.

I'm finding that the bike is getting better gas milage, I still have to calculate the MPG of it, but 200miles per tank (5.8 Gal / 22l) is not bad. I just put in 14.5l of gas in and it was $28 CDN, ouch.

Yesterday (while waxing the bike in the drive way) we had a freak hail storm! For the past week 29-30°C temperatures are the norm, which isn't hot for Canada, but it hot for Englanders.

Mike