JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

They've become squids...

#1 Unread post by JC Viper »

An old childhood friend finally decided to start riding since I and his other friends have been riding for a while with me being the most experienced with years and racing school.

Anyhow I tried to start him off right once he got his permit and told him to get a 250 or 500cc sport bike with an SV650 being the most. His other friend told him to start off on a super bike like an R6 because he'll grow out of smaller bikes and that it wouldn't be too hard to control with some practice. Well my friend went ahead and bought an R6 despite my warnings but since he was determined on keeping it I just stuck with his choice and offered to help him improve his skill.

While I was out of commission with the 750 giving me problems his other friend had taken over in teaching him how to ride since he claims to be really good at it despite only having a permit for such a long time. My friend would always come to me about techniques in a book I lent him and I would give him some examples using his bike. When we always talked about anything related to riding he would always tell me how he's scared of inattentive drivers, road debris and just plain losing control and I just coached him like my instructors coached me and he swore to never be a squid to the point of dressing in armor like I would.

After I bought another bike I decided to hit my friend up to go riding and to see his progress. His friends came along with their bikes and we rode around on local roads for a bit. He did well despite being on high powered bike. That is until we decided to hit the highway. Once there he and his other friends just jacked up their speeds and began swerving in and out of traffic. Even though they were using their signals they were passing way too close which I considered what they were doing was cutting people off. I on the other hand maintained a decent clip, a bit faster than traffic, signaled and did proper lane changes. The others ended up having to wait for me at the next junction and this game kept repeating until we got to the destination and on the way back. This would happen the next time I went riding with them.

Now they just stopped calling me to go riding and whenever I would ask if they were going out for a ride or just to go hang out they would give me a nice run around and I would end up staying home for the night. They were annoyed at having to wait for me and being a wuss and started mocking me about my training at the super bike school and riding experience. At that point I gave up on them and told my friend to go to hell whenever he would ask me things bike related and I made sure to get my books back.

Speeding and cutting people off and riding too aggressively is not skill, it's called being a jerk to other road users not to mention being a jerk (the filter didn't use another word for d*ck so I decided to use jerk) to yourself because after all who gets hurt in a crash? Well now I'm back to being without riding buddies which sucks because I was hoping to go places like the beach this summer with people instead of by myself. :rant:
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: They've become squids...

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

There are old riders and there are bold riders, but there are no old, bold riders. You made the right choice, even if it means riding solo for awhile, because YOU will live longer. Kudos to you.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#3 Unread post by Gunslinger »

Sounds like they weren't good friends to begin with. Keep riding like an azz long enough and bad things are going to happen. Don't worry dude, you will make new friends. The first time one of my buddies makes fun of my riding style would be the last time. Not cool.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#4 Unread post by JC Viper »

They are the type who believes that their loud pipes will save them from being cut off. Ironically they would be the ones cutting people off and I witnessed when one of them did get cut off but he was riding in a blind spot even when I warned him about doing so. They have their fears while riding yet they ride up on someone's bumper before they pass. Considering that they do this in their cars as well it should have been no surprise to me.

Riding aggressively is fine to a point but when you cause other road users to panic it only shows motorcycles in a negative light. If one of them did get into a crash and gets hurt pretty bad they'll probably be the type to have a crusade against motorcycles deeming them dangerous. Again not good for the sport and will only make insurance premiums skyrocket some more in my state/ city.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#5 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Wow, that sucks. I really can't keep up with most riders on the highway. I tend to be very particular about my space cushion and clearance for passing. Occasionally, I'll make a higher risk pass to prevent myself from being boxed in. But this kind of maneuver isn't zigging and zagging through traffic. It is a study of the traffic pattern - wait, look and accelerate and pass - then re-stabilize my speed.

That last bit is important for me - in my car I got caught speeding @ 90 mph because I accelerate to get around a guy that just wandered in to the left most lane and never lowered my speed again. We'll see how much it increases my insurance and if I'll still be able to ride or if I have to take a break for a couple years. Fortunately, it was in NY state and the most I can get is 2 points. But still, I've been without an incident on my license for 8 years or so.
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#6 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

You did the right thing.
Plain and simple I have lived and worked in NJ/NYC area all my life these highways are no place to ride like that. If a dumptruck dropping stone a tractor loosing a retread or a muffler don't get you some mom on a cell phone cager will.
The group I run with can move at a very good clip it's always on backroads where there are very few cars. I tell truth here I run all day and will never see triple digits and I guarentee those guys you are talking about would be shiting there draws inside of 10 minutes. Can I do 150mph sure but not on the street most modern motorcycles can achieve 120mph fairly easily, but can the rider do 60 on a 30mph suggested road.
One of the guys I ride with who raced for factory Suzuki a few years ago and even won a gold medal at the ISDT said it best
Any fool can twist a wick the skills riding is where the men are seperated from the boys.
there aint nothin like it

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#7 Unread post by MZ33 »

Yeah, they have become squids. Sorry you lost your riding group. But at least you'll get to be able to ride longer. Visit them at the hospital, the long-term care facility, or the cemetary, when you get a chance.

People are gonna do what they are gonna do. Can't fix that.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#8 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I've won race series in both WERA and CCS, and I teach track classes to get you a race license. I just finished up a class where my laptimes were consistently 8 seconds faster than my fellow instructors.

On the street I ride like a girl. Doesn't matter if it's on the interstate or on backroads. Both places have guard rails, traffic, possible debris on the road and many fixed immobile objects. I'll never go faster than 20 over regardless of how fast I "know" I can take it. The street is no place for performance riding and anyone that says otherwise can go ride somewhere else. If they're too poor for track time, screw em- just don't let them bring you down.

:thumbsup: to you man.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#9 Unread post by MZ33 »

storysunfolding wrote: On the street I ride like a girl.
Gee, thanks.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#10 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Reasonably, skilled and responsibly?
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars