totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2006 KAWASAKI'S NINJA 650R BREAKS NEW GROUND WITH BROAD APPE

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2006 KAWASAKI'S NINJA 650R BREAKS NEW GROUND WITH BROAD APPEAL AND INNOVATIVE DESIGN
September 02, 2005

Kawasaki Press Release

Unique look and feel grew from specific design team objectives seeking to blend attractiveness with power. Look at Kawasaki's all new NINJA 650R sportbike and the first impression is one of pure design appreciation. Look a little longer and many of the innovative engine and chassis elements begin to come into play. But the entire package doesn't truly project its intended engineering outcome until the motorcycle is viewed with a rider seemingly melded into its unique posture.

Because the 650R was meant to have broad rider appeal, Kawasaki's development team began its task with the rider?not the motorcycle. Focusing on all kinds of riders, and all kinds of riding, Kawasaki carefully studied the interface between human and machine. Riding positions were studied to discover which instilled the most confidence. Narrowing the distance between foot pegs and striving for a lower seat height and low effort controls all played into the design efforts. Ultimately, this exceptionally well-proportioned NINJA 650R represents a genre of motorcycling new to Kawasaki?one that finds itself at home with both novices and experienced riders, and one that will be seen equally in daily midtown commuting situations as well as week-end highway getaways.

A combination of versatility, performance and style, this motorcycle knows no boundaries in terms of rider appeal. It will be a first-time purchase for some, a second or third motorcycle for others, and for all, it will be fun. Powered by a compact twocylinder engine mounted in a sleek, lightweight chassis, this extremely maneuverable model will earn its rank as one of the most rider friendly units in today's marketplace. The very compact liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valve 649cc Parallel Twin with fuel injection delivers a smooth responsiveness that is tuned for rider-friendly power characteristics?especially in the low and medium rpm ranges that will inspire confidence in new motorcyclists. Its excellent mid-range characteristics will make the 650R a natural for medium speed commuting environments. And slipping in and out of traffic will be a cinch for this new entry, as its lightweight trellis frame and laydown shock also contribute to its overall compactness.

While the powerplant on this new NINJA is compact, it is anything but minimal in its output. Just gauge the 650R's roll-on response when making a highway pass and any concerns in that area quickly subside. The engineers called on their vast experience building NINJA supersport machines to develop a motorcycle possessing performance characteristics that will be a match for anything currently available in the middleweight arena, including those with larger displacement.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

So there's the EN-5 pumped-up and dressed-up a bit.... looks good. Should appeal to alot of newer riders, but I wish they had a nakkid version alongside it, Kawasaki could have really scored big in the starterbike segment with that combo......

Will it be coming to North America?
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by TechTMW »

Finally a Ninja I like !!
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Will it be coming to North America? I don't know forsure, but I do hope it does.

It is very interesting they choose a 650 Parallel Twin for the engine. I can't seem to remember the last recent Kawasaki 650 Parallel Twin bike... other than the Z650... I'm glad they choose this engine as it will take the "must have" new biker attitude away from the more agressive and powerful 600's they make. Now it will offer a smoother transition in bike power: Ninja 250R -> Ninja 500R -> Ninja 650R -> ZX-6R (etc)

Mike.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

BuzZz

#5 Unread post by BuzZz »

What's the last good parrallel twin from anybody? It's a terrible engine architecture really. Only 2 power events per revolution and the pistons whippin up and down right beside each other don't make for a smooth motor. They work alright at lower RPM, so make good entry level bikes, sedate British retro bikes and smaller '70's UJM's.

But they are cheaper to make than a 4 and work more than well enough for bikes like this Kwacker.

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#6 Unread post by High_Side »

BuzZz wrote:What's the last good parrallel twin from anybody? It's a terrible engine architecture really. Only 2 power events per revolution and the pistons whippin up and down right beside each other don't make for a smooth motor. They work alright at lower RPM, so make good entry level bikes, sedate British retro bikes and smaller '70's UJM's.

But they are cheaper to make than a 4 and work more than well enough for bikes like this Kwacker.
I think that with a few modern tricks it can be a very cool architecture. Offset crankpins can make it smooth and also make it sound right (like a V-twin of course :wink: )
As for the last good parallel twin: RZ350. (no offense to Ninja 500 and 250 riders out there.....) :laughing:

BuzZz

#7 Unread post by BuzZz »

The RZ-350 was an awesome powerplant. 8)

Once you cut valves into the head and hang cams on it, alot of the magic disappears.... :laughing:

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#8 Unread post by TechTMW »

BuzZz wrote: But they are cheaper to make than a 4 and work more than well enough for bikes like this Kwacker.
It's all a matter of what you need and what you like. You, buzz, are what many people would cal a "Hooligan" :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: and since there aren't any 4-stroke parallel twin hooligan bikes, they're just not for you.

However, have you taken a look at MZ's new twin?? You might be interested in it from your "hooligan" :P standpoint... http://www.motorradna.com/models/street/1000SF.html
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”

BuzZz

#9 Unread post by BuzZz »

Hey now, don't be gettin' the idea I don't like inline twins. They have thier place, most definately. They also have places they don't really need to be. :lol:

The only other engine configuration that makes less sense is a big single. Just so happens that my all time favoritest motor in the whole world is a 500cc 2-stroke single..... :twisted: Blitch would shake so hard on decell that the clutch lever would smack the back of your fingers hard enough to sting through MX gloves, but man, would it pulllll...... So just cause it don't make sense, don't mean it can't rock :mrgreen:

I always thought that MZ was a sweet bike, but would be so much sweeter if those 2 pistons formed a V.......

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#10 Unread post by TechTMW »

BuzZz wrote: I always thought that MZ was a sweet bike, but would be so much sweeter if those 2 pistons formed a V.......
The configuration of a twin cylinder engine has little to do with its final characteristics.

It's all about Bore and Stroke - How Long and How Wide ... :laughing: