2013 Triumph Thunderbird: Voted - 64.4%

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Triumph Thunderbird is..

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2013 Triumph Thunderbird: Voted - 64.4%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2013 Triumph Thunderbird on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... erbird.htm

2013 Triumph Thunderbird

Go on a legend reborn.

Strong, muscular lines. Impeccable manners. Outstanding engineering. A tour de force. Voted 'Cruiser of the Year' by Cycle World magazine in the USA, Thunderbird rewrites the rules and brings Triumph's reputation for handling and engineering excellence to the cruiser market. Personalisation? No problem, with great paint schemes and over 100 accessories. It's what cruiser riders have been waiting for.

The critically acclaimed new Thunderbird is a revelation. The bike that cruiser riders have been waiting for. But its turning heads among other types of rider too. Why? Because it delivers - on looks, on power, on handling, on comfort, on everything.

On the road or on the spec sheet, Thunderbird leads the way. Sit astride the well appointed low seat and enjoy the high quality chrome that dominates the design.

The tank mounted speedo includes a small built in tacho and on-board computer which includes clock, two trip meters and a fuel gauge. Low maintenance belt drive, Triumph’s first in the modern era, delivers the torque smoothly and cleanly, while the cycle parts ooze class and quality. Anti-lock brakes are an option for the Thunderbird, offering extra reassurance on all road conditions.

But riding a cruiser is all about individuality and with over 100 accessories you can personalise your Thunderbird and find your own unique look. From stripped down street rod to a soft bagged tourer, the Thunderbird delivers with style and charisma.

2013 Triumph Thunderbird - USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: MSRP $13,499(Single Color ABS)$13,799(Two-tone ABS)$13,999(Haze)
Canada MSRP Price: On The Road $14,499(Phantom Black)$15,499(two-tone)$15,799(Marble Haze)

Engine and Transmission

Type Liquid-cooled, DOHC, Parallel-twin, 270º firing interval
Capacity 1597cc
Bore/Stroke 103.8 x 94.3mm
Fuel System Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection, progressive linkage on throttle
Exhaust Chromed twin-skin stainless steel 2 into 1 into 2, tandem large-volume catalysts in centralized catbox, chrome-plated exhaust
Final Drive Toothed Belt
Clutch Wet, multi-plate
Gearbox 6-speed, helical type 2nd - 6th
Oil Capacity 4.2 liters (1.1 US gals)

Chassis, Running Gear and Displays

Frame Tubular Steel, twin spine
Swingarm Twin-sided, steel
Wheel Front Cast aluminum alloy 5-spoke 19 x 3.5 in
Rear Cast aluminum alloy 5-spoke 17 x 6 in
Tire Front 120/70 R19
Rear 200/50 R17
Suspension Front
Showa 47mm forks. 120mm travel

Rear
Showa chromed spring twin shocks with 5 position adjustable preload. 95mm rear wheel travel

Brakes Front
Twin 310mm floating discs. Nissin 4-piston fixed calipers, ABS

Rear
Single 310mm disc. Brembo 2-piston floating caliper, ABS

Instrument Display/Functions
Analogue speedometer featuring integrated rev counter, scroll button on handlebars, LCD trip computer, fuel gauge and clock

Dimensions and Capacities

Length 2340 mm (92.1 in)
Width (handlebars) 880 mm (34.6 in)
Height without mirrors 1120 mm (44.1 in)
Seat Height 700 mm (27.5 in)
Wheelbase 1615 mm (63.5 in)
Rake/Trail 32º/151mm
Fuel Tank Capacity / Efficiency 22 liters (5.8 US gals)
Wet Weight (ready to ride) 339 kg (746 lbs)

Performance (measured at crankshaft to 95/1/EC)

Maximum Power 86PS / 85bhp / 63 kW @ 4850rpm
Maximum Torque 146Nm / 108 ft.lbs @ 2750rpm
Fuel Efficiency 38 MPG City / 56 MPG Highway *Estimated from fuel economy tests on a sample motorcycle conducted under ideal laboratory conditions. Actual mileage may vary based upon personal riding habits, weather, vehicle condition, and other factors.

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... erbird.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This week: 2013 Triumph Thunderbird: Vote Today

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

It's nice that it was "Voted 'Cruiser of the Year' by Cycle World magazine in the USA", but what do we at the top Motorcycle Site think?

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#3 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

This is also a nice bike but I had the older triple Thunderbird and I loved that bike so I can only give it a COOL :mrgreen:
there aint nothin like it

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

BRUMBEAR wrote:This is also a nice bike but I had the older triple Thunderbird and I loved that bike so I can only give it a COOL :mrgreen:
It's really a shame the new Thunderbird doesn't look much like the old Triumph thunderbird eh? I really loved the looks of the Thunderbird Sport when it was available. Sadly, it is kinda rare today. http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... dSport.htm I just can't see the new Thunderbird on England roads vs the old one.

Do you think the new look and engine of the Thunderbird is a good thing?

Mike

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#5 Unread post by madjak30 »

I voted: Awesome

For a couple of reasons...finally a cruiser with some fuel capacity! At 22L, you can ride until you want to stop...not until you are worried that you will run out of fuel...most other cruisers have a dinky 14-16L tank on an engine this size, I just don't get it...and the exhaust...one down each side, like it should be. Keeps the styling balanced and the bags will be equal on both sides which will help in keeping a balanced load when travelling...

And it's not too bad looking either...for a cruiser.

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#6 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Yeah the motor is throaty/rumbly. I think it's a well rounded machine and Triumph makes a great product but the old(I can't believe I am saying old) Triumph triple was more reminiscent of the OLD school trident mixed with a Bonney flair if that makes any sense. I had the thunderbird classic I didn't quite make it look as good as Pam Anderson did in Barbed Wire or even the Tuck everlasting cameo I think oops that was a bonney but that was a beauty of a machine. However so is the new one.
Dave
there aint nothin like it

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#7 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

This is one beautiful bit of machinery. Just look at those lines -- minimalist front fender, wide bars, and the way the tank rakes so sharply down into the saddle! Just stunning. The angles on the exhaust headers do a fanstastic job of downplaying that enormous radiator out front, and I've never cared for trumpet tips but these manage to look classy. And look at all that open space on either side of the cylinder head! It'd be a snap to keep that motor looking it's best, with room to scrub and shine. Hands down a great looking bike.

It's a bit too big for my tastes, both in terms of displacement and curb weight, but I can't help but be impressed when a 1600cc puts up fuel economy numbers like that. With better than 300 freeway miles between fill-ups, it would be an absolute PLEASURE to tour on this beast. Only fly in the ointment is that vacuum-cleaner final drive, which I still don't trust and which is really more my problem than the bikes.

I'd never buy a 1600cc, nevermind that I could never afford this, and because of that I really ought to go with Cool. But I just can't get over how damn good this ride looks, it just makes me grin to look at it. So, Awesome.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#8 Unread post by HYPERR »

Epic fail. Whatever happened to the beautiful original Thunderbird or even the beautiful triple Thunderbirds that came out in the mid 1990s. Absolutely blashphemy to taint this iconic name with this bloated mfugly cruiser.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#9 Unread post by sapaul »

I am with Hyperr

I have ridden this and found it to be clumsy and ungainly. I think Triumph have let themselves down with this one considering the fantastic work they have done with their other offerings. Compare this against Guzzi's latest and it is very far off the mark
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#10 Unread post by BobK »

It looks bloated to me too.