2020 Yamaha Super Tenere ES:
Rugged, durable and built for superior long distance adventure touring and exploring beyond the pavement.
Sophistication is the name of the game with the Super Ténéré ES. Does the convenience of adjusting your suspension without ever getting off your bike sound interesting? With the simple push of a button, you can adjust both preload and damping settings. Add heated grips and a cruise control system to the mix and you have a machine that is truly worthy of being called the Ultimate Transcontinental Adventurer.
The Super Ténéré ES comes standard with water-resistant, 32-litre anodized aluminum side cases. Tough and roomy, these cases are capable of carrying and protecting just about anything you throw at them. The locking system uses the bike’s ignition key, eliminating the need for an extra set of keys.
The Super T is built for adventure, powered by an exceptionally compact 1,199 cc parallel twin using a unique 270-degree crank for excellent torque and traction. Engine mass is kept low for surprisingly agile handling, while two riding modes and traction control are on hand to keep the rider safe under all conditions.
In addition to the KYB electronic suspension, the Super Ténéré ES also comes with heated grips, cruise control and a four-position adjustable windscreen. Balance your adventurous side with convenience and comfort on the Super Ténéré ES!
2020 Yamaha Super Tenere ES Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Compact and Powerful Engine
The Super Ténéré® ES is built for adventure, with an exceptionally compact 1199cc parallel twin using a unique 270° crank for excellent torque and traction. Engine mass is kept low for great handling.
Narrow 2-cylinder inline engine is slim and compact for carving tight lines in twisty mountain roads.
- Electronic Suspension
Electronically adjusted suspension makes finding the right setting as easy as pushing a button. With four pre-load settings, three damping presets and an additional seven fine-tuning damping adjustments, the Super Ténéré ES suspension can be dialed perfectly to meet the needs of the rider, passenger and the amount of cargo and terrain.
- All – Purpose Drivetrain
Wide-ratio 6-speed transmission has the right gear, whether on the open highway or off-road. The durable enclosed shaft drive is protected from the elements while providing a direct, responsive connection to the rear wheel.
- Advanced Fuel Injection
Twin downdraft throttle body fuel injection with YCC-T® (Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle) delivers optimum throttle control and acceleration. Two-position “D-Mode” (Drive Mode) throttle response allows the rider to adjust mapping for conditions or preferences.
- Traction Control
Traction control lets the rider get on the gas with confidence. This very advanced system regulates ignition timing, fuel injection and throttle valve opening based on wheel spin, providing a smooth response that is not abrupt like the competitors. Three modes available to match rider preference, including off.
6. Assured Braking
Super Ténéré ES has both an Antilock Braking System (ABS) and Unified Braking System (UBS). With UBS, squeezing the front brake lever also provides some rear-wheel braking; pressing the rear brake first overrides UBS for traditional separate front and rear braking action.
2020 Yamaha Super Tenere ES Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- 1199cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve, inline twin produces serious torque and horsepower.
- 26 degree engine slant
- allows use of downdraft intake system
- reduces centre of gravity for lighter, agile handling
- DOHC 4-valve cylinder head design
- 37mm intake & 31mm exhaust valves with Isonite coating on valve tips for durability
- valve angles are 12.5 degrees intake & 14 degrees exhaust
- cylinder head design provides a compact combustion chamber
- 2- spark plugs per cylinder
- shortens the flame diffusion time for more complete combustion
- speeds combustion for excellent torque character.
- 42,000 km valve adjustment interval
- Short skirt, forged aluminum pistons
- fast throttle response
- reduced reciprocating mass means less mechanical vibration.
- 270 degree crankshaft with uneven firing order (270 & 450 degrees)
- superior throttle control & excellent rear wheel traction
- Carburized connecting rods (carburizing is a heat treating process that increases the carbon content on the outer surface of the rod)
- excellent strength & durability
- Direct ceramic composite plated cylinder uses “liner less” bores
- ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- Dual gear driven balancer shafts
- reduced engine vibration for excellent rider & passenger comfort
- Single, side mounted radiator (LHS) with ring-type cooling fan
- maintains consistent engine temperatures for optimum performance
- side mounted location lessens unit’s overall length of the bike for agile handling
- eliminates the possibility of the rad being damaged by debris kicked up by front wheel
- Dry sump lubrication system (oil tank is integrated into engine cases)
- eliminates deep design oil pan for increased ground clearance
- reduces weight
- centralizes mass
- Easy access spin-on type oil filter & easy access oil drain plug
- fast & easy oil changes
- “Closed loop” 46 mm dual bore Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system.
- system uses throttle position sensor (TPS) & acceleration position sensor (APS)
- injectors feature 12 holes & 20 degree spray pattern for excellent fuel atomization
- “closed loop system” uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- fuel injection benefits include; choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions
- Yamaha Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T)
- YCC-T electronically controls throttle valves for outstanding throttle response & controllability
- YCC-T system provides precise control of intake air volume for a smoother torque curve
- ECU that controls YCC-T is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1000th of a second
- Yamaha traction control system.
- works in conjunction with the YCC-T system, utilizing front & rear wheel sensors
- when rear wheel begins to loose traction, the ECU modifies the YCC-T function, ignition timing & fuel injection to reduce power & eliminate wheel spin
- actuation button is on the multifunction instrument panel
- traction control helps maintain traction when accelerating on slippery surfaces. System automatically engages when the ignition is turned on but can be turned off if desired
- 2 operating modes: TCS1 completely eliminates wheel spin & TCS2 allow limited wheel spin
- Yamaha D-Mode variable throttle control… 2 modes available
- enables the rider to adjust the performance characteristics of the engine based on riding preferences or riding conditions
- “S mode” provides normal / instant throttle response
- “T mode” provides slower response for more “relaxed” engine power delivery
- D-Mode switch is located on the R.H.S. handlebar switch gear.
- Electronic cruise control system (part of the YCC-T functions)
- “settable range” is from 50 to 160 km/hr… transmission must be in 3rd gear or higher
- system cancelled by activating either brake, clutch, using activation switch or closing throttle
- Wide ratio 6-speed transmission
- optimized gear ratios for a wide variety of riding conditions
top gear is an overdrive gear… reduced rpms at highway speeds… excellent rider comfort
- Low maintenance hydraulic clutch
- light, linear, consistent clutch feel.
- Low maintenance, compact shaft drive system
- utilizes a hypoid type final gear (allows the use of a smaller ring gear)
- compact design
- reduced unsprung weight for enhanced handling.
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- Direct ignition coils (ignition coil is built into the spark plug cap) with iridium spark plugs
- reduced weight
- Automatic decompression device
- fast, easy starting
- lighter weight, more compact starter motor
- 2 into 1 exhaust system
- features a honeycomb style catalyzer to reduce emissions
- compact “elliptical” shaped, short design muffler reduces machine width
- heat shield protects rider & passenger
- Compact 600 watt (@ 5,000rpms) AC magneto
- lots of electrical power for accessories
- High tensile steel, backbone-style frame. Engine is a stressed member. Steel pipe is used for its excellent strength – rigidity balance and more inherent softness than aluminum (comfort). The engine is mounted low in the frame and allows for a fuel tank design which lowers the centre of gravity for a lighter riding feel.
- Detachable aluminum rear sub frame
- reduces weight
- sub frame designed to withstand the rigors & loads associated with adventure riding.
- Long design, low pressure cast aluminum swingarm.
- Casting method offers superior strength (material is more dense)
- long design contributes to excellent stability & rear wheel traction
- left side of swingarm “houses” drive shaft
- Electronically adjustable 43mm KYB inverted fork
- 190mm (7.5″) of wheel travel
- adjustable damping
- Electronically adjustable link Monocross rear suspension with KYB shock
- 190mm (7.5″) of wheel travel
- adjustments include spring pre-load & damping
- How it works: This “linked” electronic suspension asks the rider to choose from one of four pre-sets for “load” (solo / solo & luggage / dual / dual & luggage). Once the load setting has been chosen, the system automatically adjusts both the front and rear damping rates based on the load setting chosen. If a rider wishes to “tune” the damping settings further, there are 3 “main ” settings (soft / std / hard) to choose from. Within each of these 3 main settings, there are another 7- “fine tuning” settings available, providing a total of 21 damping settings that a rider can choose from. The “load” setting must be chosen / adjusted while the unit is running but stopped. All other tuning can be done “on the fly”. Adjustments are via buttons on the L.H.S. switch gear. Suspension setting menu and adjustments can be viewed in the DOT matrix section of the LCD multi-function meter assembly. A duty cycle motor controls the “pre-load” settings while stepping motors vary the oil flow rate in the fork & shock (damping adjustments). The design allows a rider easily tailor suspension settings to match load and road conditions. System is very similar to the one found on the FJR1300ES.
- Suspension control unit (SCU) controls the electronic suspension & features a diagnostic mode
- Tapered aluminum handlebar reduces weight and offers excellent strength. Handlebar position & bend is designed to be both versatile & comfortable whether sitting or standing.
- ABS equipped dual 310mm front disc brakes
- “wave style” floating front discs / rotors
- ultra-rigid 4-piston monoblock calipers
- master cylinder uses a 16mm piston
- excellent braking performance & “feedback”
- ABS equipped, “wave-style” 282 mm rear disc brake
- single piston, slide-type rear caliper
- rear master cylinder uses a 14mm piston
- The ABS or Anti-Lock Braking System features Yamaha’s latest generation independent linear controlled system with step-less, infinitely variable hydraulic pressure adjustment. The ABS unit, the ECU and the hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit that allows for mass centralization. This system uses the same wheel sensors as the traction control system to reduce weight. When the system senses impending wheel lock-up, it regulates the hydraulic pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up. The benefit of ABS is excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces. The ABS system is designed to help prevent wheel lock up.
- Unified Brake System is combined with ABS system. When the front brake is activated, an electronic control applies some rear wheel braking force as well. The amount of rear braking force is dependent upon how hard the front brake has been applied, unit speed and the amount of load on the unit. If the rear brake is applied prior to the front brake, it cancels the unified braking system temporarily (there may be times on difficult terrain when a rider does not want the unified system to activate).
- Large capacity, steel 23 litre fuel tank
- lower portion of the tank is located down inside the frame rails, behind the air box & cylinders to reduce centre of gravity & centralize mass
- reserve portion is 3.9 litres (when low fuel light begins to flash)
- steel design allows the use of magnetic tank bags
- Tubeless, spoked wheels
- “double T” type front rim features 2-raised “rails” that spokes attach to
- design allows use of tubeless, radial tires
- optimum spoke angle for excellent strength and durability
- rear rim uses a single raised rail design
- raised rails add additional strength to the rims
- tubeless design allows for temporary emergency road side repairs
- Dual, cat-eye, projector type H7, 55 / 55 watt headlights
- excellent illumination for extra confidence when riding after dark
- solenoid moves the shade that controls the projector headlight function
- Adjustable long distance designed rider seat
- rider portion offers two different height settings; low position is 845mm (33.3″), tall position is 870mm (34.3″)
- takes only seconds to make adjustment… no tools are required
- passenger seat is removable.
- Multi-function plastic resin rear rack
- in standard form it is a conventional rack / carrier
- also functions as a mount for the accessory 30 litre top box
- additional carrier built in under the passenger seat… with passenger seat & spacer removed, becomes a long, flat platform, providing maximum cargo space
- Combination rubber / steel rider footrests
- when sitting, the rider’s foot is resting on the vibration damping rubber inserts
- when standing, rubber inserts compresses & exposes serrated edges of the steel pegs for additional grip when riding in difficult terrain
- Multi-function, LCD meter assembly. Left side features digital tach and speedo, plus fuel gauge, clock and status indicators for traction control, D-modes, and Eco System. The right side utilizes a DOT Matrix LCD display, which includes odometer, dual trip meters, outside air temp, coolant temp, instant fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, estimated travel range (based on remaining fuel), trip timer and low fuel trip meter. Other functions include grip heater status and gear indicator. Full range of warning and indicator lights as well, including cruise control and ABS status. The ECO indicator is a light that indicates the bike is being ridden in a manner that conserves fuel. Background illumination is adjustable.
- Sculptured 2- piece half fairing
- offers an unobstructed view
- excellent air management
- good wind & weather protection.
- Convenient, 12 volt DC outlet (fairing dash) for GPS, cell phone or other uses.
- 4-position, no tools required, adjustable windscreen
- excellent wind protection
- adjustment range is 60 mm (2.3″)
- both height & “attack” angle change as the windshield moves
- cross bar can be used as GPS holder
- Variable heated grips
- 10 levels of heat settings
- heat settings are customizable
- heat settings & status shown ihn the LCD meter assembly
- Frame mounted composite tip over protectors
- located on left & right sides of the lower edge of the fairing
- offer protection for fairing, side mounted rad & battery
- Quick release fasteners on lower & mid fairings
- quick access to the rad & selected electrical components including fuses
- Immobilizer ignition system
- reduces possibility of “ride away” theft
- system must recognize the “coded ignition key” in order to start
- if the key is not recognized, electrical system will not activate, even if ignition is turned or forced into the on position
- Lightweight, magnesium cylinder head and clutch covers
- Centre and side stands
- 5-position adjustable front brake lever
- 4-position adjustable clutch lever
- Low maintenance 11 amp hour, sealed battery
- Brilliant LED taillight
- Compact LED turn signals
- Rugged plastic handlebar mounted brush guards
- Dash board mounted 12 volt DC outlet
2020 Yamaha Super Tenere ES – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $16299 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $18499 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 1199cc liquid-cooled inline 2-cylinder; DOHC; 8
Bore x Stroke 98.0mm x 79.5mm
Compression Ratio 11.0:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel Injection with YCC-T
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 6-speed; multi-plate wet clutch
Final Drive Shaft
Suspension / Front 43mm inverted fork; electronically adjustable
compression and rebound damping; 7.5-in travel
Suspension / Rear Monoshock; electronically adjustable preload and
rebound damping; 7.5-in of travel
Brakes / Front Dual 310mm hydraulic disc, Unified Brake System and ABS
Brakes / Rear 282mm single disc, Unified Brake System and
Tires / Front 110/80R19
Tires / Rear 150/70R17
L x W x H 88.8 in x 38.6 in x 55.5 in
Seat Height 33.3 or 34.3 in
Wheelbase 60.6 in Rake (Caster Angle) 28.0° Trail n/a
Maximum Ground n/a
Fuel Capacity 6.1 gal
Fuel Economy** 43 mpg
Wet Weight*** 584 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Ceramic Ice
2020 Yamaha Super Tenere ES – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valves (4-valves / cyl), inline twin|
|Bore and Stroke|
|98 x 79.5 mm|
|11.9 kg-m (86 ft-lbs.) @ 6,000 rpm|
|YCC-T, D-Mode, Traction Control & Cruise Control|
|Mikuni 46 mm throttle body F.I|
|Estimated Fuel Consumption±|
|18.2kpl / 51.4mpg (Imp.)|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|Electronically adjustable KYB inverted 43mm fork / 190 mm (7.5″) wheel travel|
|Electronically adjustable KYB link Monocross / 190 mm (7.5″) wheel travel|
|Dual 310 mm discs / 4-piston calipers / ABS equipped & unified|
|282 mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped & unified|
|2,255 mm (88.8″)|
|980 mm (38.6″)|
|1,410 mm (55.5″) to 1470mm (57.9″)|
|Rake / Trail|
|28 degrees / 126 mm|
|190 mm (7.5″)|
|845 mm (33.3″) or 870 mm (34.3″)|
|23 litres (5.1 Imp. gal.)|
|265 kg (584 lbs)|
2020 Yamaha Super Tenere ES – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).