Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2014 Yamaha YZ250 2-Stroke Review
2014 Yamaha YZ250 2-Stroke
The 2-Stroke Lives!
Legendary 2-stroke power and awesome lightweight handling. The 2014 Yamaha YZ250 is the standard by which every other 250cc 2-stroke motocross bike wishes they could live up to. With giggle inducing power, unbelievable lightweight handling and legendary Yamaha durability. Plus, 2-strokes are easier and cost less to maintain!
Revive memories of the good ol’ days with a YZ two-stroke! Nothing beats the “bark,” light-switch throttle response and point and shoot cornering of a YZ250
2014 Yamaha YZ250 2-Stroke Total Motorcycle Key Features
• A light aluminum frame housing a patented YPVS® Power valve-equipped ripper of an engine results in an awesome power-to-weight ratio.
• The YZ250 is ready to race out of the crate, complete with an aluminum handlebar, titanium foot pegs, gripper seat, and Excel® rims.
• Ultra lightweight means nimble handling with less fatigue.
Liquid-cooled, 249cc, piston-reed-valve-inducted, 2-stroke engine is lightweight and compact.
YPVS power valve system features a total of three slides (one main and two auxiliary slides) which provides the benefits of both solid, low rpm power delivery and a strong top-end punch. The YPVS system varies the exhaust port height and timing based on engine rpm.
2014 Yamaha YZ250 2-Stroke Total Motorcycle Features and Benefits
• Liquid-cooled, 249cc, piston-reed-valve-inducted, 2-stroke engine is lightweight and compact.
• Ceramic composite cylinder bore is a “liner less” design with the ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block. The benefits include reduced weight (no heavy iron liner), reduced friction, extended cylinder life and excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery.
• YPVS power valve system features a total of three slides (one main and two auxiliary slides) which provides the benefits of both solid, low rpm power delivery and a strong top-end punch. The YPVS system varies the exhaust port height and timing based on engine rpm.
• Keihin PWK38S carburetor with power jet and throttle position sensor (TPS) ensures precise fuel/air mixing and extra-crisp throttle response throughout the powerband.
• Special-design, 4-petal, carbon fiber reeds provide great throttle response and engine performance across the entire RPM range.
• Smooth-shifting, 5-speed, close-ratio transmission with heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch ensures optimal hook-up for outstanding acceleration and corner-exiting power. Transmission shafts utilize involute splines for smooth, positive shifting even under power.
• Quick-access, outer clutch cover allows for fast, easy clutch maintenance
• CD (capacitor discharge) ignition system delivers a precise spark and monitors engine speed to ensure optimal timing for faster, stronger response during hard acceleration.
• Washable, dual-stage, foam air filter reduces maintenance costs.
• Large-capacity, dual radiators feature a 10-row core to deliver maximum cooling efficiency.
• Computer designed expansion chamber provides maximum engine performance while the lightweight, aluminum silencer is rebuildable so performance can be maintained at the optimum level and noise levels can be controlled.
• Trick, works-style clutch lever features a race-spec “barrel adjuster” for on-the-fly clutch adjustments.
• Lightweight, aluminum, semi-double-cradle style frame. The obvious benefit of an aluminum frame is a significant reduction in overall machine weight. Yamaha has maintained the semi-double cradle design because it offers an excellent balance between stiff lateral and torsional rigidity while offering more controlled flex in the longitudinal plane. This frame design offers the ideal “stiffness balance” which means it offers the flexibility of a steel frame with the light weight of an aluminum frame. This frame is made from a unique mix of castings, forgings and extrusions that provide stiffness where it is required and controlled flexibility in other areas. The result is a super light aluminum frame, which provides excellent handling, good ride quality, excellent stability and responsive cornering performance.
• Removable rear subframe is constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe. Detachable design allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components.
• Lightweight, tapered, aluminum swingarm is produced using “hydro forming”, a special forming method that uses high pressure water to form shapes.
• Cast aluminum upper triple clamp and forged lower triple clamp provide both lightweight and strength for fast, precise handling.
• Adjustable handlebar mounts allow the handlebars to be moved 10mm rearward if desired.
• “Speed Sensitive System” 48mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba cartridge fork features a twin-chamber design. The twin chamber design means the damper unit is in a separate structure which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and degrading its damping abilities. Since the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil. The Speed Sensitive System design means the damping force is controlled by the piston speed in the fork not its position.
• The balance between the inner and outer fork tubes has been optimized while the Kashima coating on the pressure tank and the piston rod reduce friction for smoother suspension performance. The piston diameter is 24mm for excellent primary cushioning while low friction oil seals provide reduced stiction for a smoother stroke.
• This fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV) . The TCV enhances the damping force of the inner damper from mid stroke to full stroke and improves bottoming characteristics. The benefit of TCV is more precise control throughout the full stroke range.
• “Kashima coating” is applied to the fork tubes to reduce friction for smoother suspension performance. Front wheel travel is 300mm (11.8″).
• Front fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping. Optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts.
• “Wrap-around” plastic fork protectors provide excellent protection from dirt, mud and stone chips. The “self-supporting” design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
• Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable, Kayaba, piggyback shock which provides 315mm (12.4″) of wheel travel and features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping. Adjustments include: spring preload, 20-way rebound damping, 20-way low-speed compression damping and 2 turns of high speed compression damping. The damper rod diameter is 18mm in diameter, while Kashima coating is used in the shock body and sub tank to reduce friction and improve suspension performance during a long moto. The Kayaba shock utilizes a full rebound oil lock system for excellent suspension function and great ride quality.
• 250mm floating front disc brake features a “wave” style rotor (disc) which reduces weight and improves heat dissipation.
• Compact Nissin twin piston front caliper utilizes lightweight aluminum pistons. The braking performance is excellent with great feel and control.
• “Shorty” style front brake lever is adjustable to fit various hand sizes.
• 245mm rear disc brake with single piston caliper uses an integrated master cylinder (fluid reservoir is integrated into the top of the master cylinder) for strong stopping power with excellent feel and control.
• “Wave” style rear rotor (disc) reduces unsprung weight and improves cooling while also adding a special styling highlight too.
• The single piston rear brake caliper features a rugged plastic caliper protector, while the lower edge of the disc is protected by a lower disc guard.
• Specially designed “Sun Star” rear sprocket increases the contact area between the sprocket and chain rollers, thereby reducing the load on the chain and increasing the service life of both chain and sprocket.
• Lightweight, 21″ front and 19″ rear Excel rims provide exceptional durability and help reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance and handling.
• “Flat-design” seat features multi density foam that provides good initial softness / comfort and then increases the firmness as more pressure is applied. The “pebble” finish on the top and side surfaces provides excellent rider grip and durability.
• Seat, handlebar and fuel tank ergonomics provide excellent freedom of movement for the rider.
• Lightweight, titanium footpegs provide excellent grip and ground clearance.
• Rugged chain guide helps prevent the chain from de-railing and also helps to protect the rear sprocket.
• Serrated rear brake lever and folding shift lever tip offer superb grip and exceptional durability.
• Stainless steel, inner clutch cable provides excellent strength, smooth action and long life.
• Repackable exhaust silencer means a rider can maintain optimum engine performance and reduced noise levels.
• E10 friendly fuel system components
• Wide, cleated, folding titanium foot pegs are lightweight and provide excellent comfort, grip, and ground clearance.
• Special-design “gripper” type seat and fuel tank, forward-canted steering crown and low handlebar provide excellent movement and more comfortable ergonomics for riders.
• Wide-diameter fuel tank cap ensures easier usage, while larger tank opening means faster, hassle-free refueling.
• A light and strong aluminum handlebar in adjustable mounts means comfort and control.
• Premium drive chain has gold-colored plates for outstanding looks.
• Use of light box-head bolts throughout the chassis eases maintenance while reducing weight and increasing performance.
• Repackable exhaust silencer.
• Durable, comfortable handlebar grips.
2014 Yamaha YZ250 2-Stroke – Total Motorcycle USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $7,150 Team Yamaha Blue/White Available from June 2013
Type 249cc liquid-cooled 2-stroke; reed-valve inducted
Bore x Stroke 66.4 x 72.0mm
Compression Ratio 8.9~10.6:1
Fuel Delivery Keihin® PWK38S
Transmission Constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain Drive
Suspension / Front Speed-Sensitive System inverted fork; fully adjustable, 11.8-in travel
Suspension / Rear Fully adjustable single shock, 12.4-in travel
Brakes / Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 250mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm
Tires / Front 80/100-21-51M
Tires / Rear 110/90-19-62M
Length 85.7 in
Width 32.6 in
Height 51.4 in
Seat Height 39.1 in
Wheelbase 58.3 in
Ground Clearance 15.0 in
Fuel Capacity 2.1 gal
Wet Weight*** 227 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
2014 Yamaha YZ250 2-Stroke – Total Motorcycle Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $7,399.00 CDN
2-stroke, liquid-cooled, reed-valve, single
BORE AND STROKE
66.4 x 72 mm
IGNITION / STARTING
CDI / Kick
Adjustable 48 mm inverted fork / 300 mm (11.8″) travel
Fully adjustable link Monocross / 315 mm (12.4″) travel
250 mm floating disc / twin piston
245 mm disc / single piston
2,184 mm (86″)
827 mm (32.6”)
1,309 mm (51.5”)
1,481 mm (58.3”)
385 mm (15.2″)
997 mm (39.3”)
8 litres (1.8 imp. gallons)
103 kg (227 lbs)
2014 Yamaha YZ250 2-Stroke – Total Motorcycle UK/Europe Specifications/Technical Details
UK/European MSRP Price: £NA.
Details to follow shortly.
2014 Yamaha YZ250 2-Stroke – Total Motorcycle Australian Specifications/Technical Details
AU MSRP Price: See dealer for pricing AUD
Details to follow shortly.
Specifications, features and prices to change by manufacturer without notice. All information correct as of posted date.