Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2016 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer Review
2016 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
Features potent V-Twin, low seat, agile handling, locking saddlebags & quick release passenger backrest & winshield for serious midweight performance…
THE MIDDLE WEIGHT CHAMP
Serious middleweight performance & style in a confidence inspiring ride with new quick release backrest and windshield.
Power, handling, comfort and style. The V-Star 950 Tourer offers serious middleweight performance in user friendly, confidence inspiring package. Lightweight, easy handling and a low seat height will appeal to new riders, while seasoned veterans will appreciate the comfort of the Tourer’s windshield, locking saddlebags and passenger backrest. Discover your free spirit …whether commuting to work or exploring back roads.
942cc, air-cooled, SOHC, 4-valves per cylinder, 60° V-twin produces outstanding low- and mid-range torque – maximum torque is reached at only 3,500 rpm – for exceptional cruising performance and comfort.
The V-Star 950 Tourer is ready to handle those weekend getaways in comfort and style thanks the medium height windshield, which can be removed with 4-bolts. Locking, leather covered hard saddlebags offer good storage space, while passengers will appreciate the peace of mind the passenger back rest offers as the miles roll by.
2016 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
Industry-leading Star family fit& finish
• Unit is pre-wired for accessory passing lamps (inside headlight shell)
• Upper & lower belt drive cover
• Extra wide front brake & clutch levers
• Steering lock is integrated into the main ignition switch for extra convenience.
• Under seat helmet holder
• Self-cancelling turn signals
• Traditional dipstick to check oil level
• Low-maintenance, sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
2016 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
• 942cc, air-cooled, SOHC, 4-valve per cylinder, fuel injected, 60° V-twin power plant pumps out impressive power & torque. Maximum torque is reached at 3,500 rpms, for relaxed cruising performance.
•SOHC, pent-roof, 4-valve cylinder heads.
– 4-valve design optimizes breathing efficiency & overall engine performance at all rpms
– 31.5 mm intake & 28 mm exhaust valves use friction reducing single valve springs
– stylish chromed cylinder head covers
– compact pent roof combustion chamber design & optimized squish area forces the fuel / air mixture toward the centre of the combustion chamber for more complete combustion & excellent power with reduced emissions
– 25,000 km valve adjustment intervals
•Specially designed roller rockers activate the valves.
– Y shaped roller rocker arms allows a greater amount of valve lift without causing excessive camshaft wear & friction
– slipper portion of the rocker arm utilizes a needle bearing for reduced camshaft wear & reduced sliding resistance (friction)
•No fuss, traditional air-cooled engine design.
– cylinders have a tapered “V” appearance to highlight the V-twin engine style
– cooling fins have been optimized for reliable cooling even in stop & go traffic
• Automatic cam chain tensioners reduce mechanical noise & simplify maintenance.
•Liner-less, ceramic composite-plated cylinder bores.
– ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum blocks, eliminating the liners & reducing weight
– excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
– ceramic coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
– extended cylinder service life
•Flat top, lightweight forged aluminum pistons.
– less reciprocating mass for fast engine response
– reduced mechanical vibration for excellent reliability
•Single pin style crankshaft.
– design accentuates V-twin engine character, pulse feel & sound
•Wet sump lubrication system with easy access, spin on oil filter & drain plug for easy oil changes.
•Classic side mounted 3 litre air box houses an easy access, a high-flow viscous paper-type filter.
• “Closed loop”, dual bore, 35 mm throttle body fuel injection system with linear throttle response for easy riding.
– system uses throttle position sensor (TPS) to help optimize intake air flow & power
– ISC or idle speed controller ensures a steady idle
– 4 – hole injectors optimize fuel atomization & feature a dual spray pattern for more complete combustion chamber filling
– “closed loop system” uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
– oxygen sensor is located before the mufflers, so the use of aftermarket “slip-on” mufflers will not affect the closed loop system
– fuel injection benefits include; excellent throttle response, choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions
•Smooth-shifting, 5-speed transmission.
– optimized gear ratios match engine power for strong acceleration
– 5th gear offers reduced engine rpms at highway speeds
– one piece classic heel-and-toe shifter enhances overall cruising experience
– clutch is an “outer pull” design for light, easy lever effort
•Belt drive final drive.
– cleaner & quieter than chain drive… no messy chain splatter
– low maintenance… no regular adjustments or lubrication required
– belt drive system simplifies customization
•Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
– produces a strong spark for fast starts
– provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
•2 into 1 exhaust system.
– large diameter header pipes for maximum flow
– dual stage muffler produces a low, throaty V-Twin growl
– heat shields protect rider & passenger from hot components
– 3-way honeycomb catalyzer reduces harmful exhaust emissions
•Air Injection System injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions.
•Tube type, double cradle steel frame.
– provides roomy ergonomics combined with a low 675 mm (26.6″) seat height
– frame utilizes a rigid engine mounting system optimizing the overall rigidity balance for superior handling
– engine mounting position provides a low center of gravity for light, easy handling
•Steel swingarm compliments the frame and the overall chassis rigidity balance.
• 41mm KYB front fork offers 135 mm (5.3″) of wheel travel.
– excellent ride comfort & compliance
– large-diameter brushed-finished fork covers
• Adjustable Monocross style single-shock, link rear suspension with 110 mm (4.3″) of wheel travel.
– linkage system provides a rising rate effect that provides excellent compliance on both small & large bumps
– 9 positions of spring preload adjustability to suit load and / or rider preferences
•Rear shock is vertically mounted behind the engine.
– shock is tucked out of sight for that classic, clean, hard tail look
– location centralizes mass for light, agile handling
• Single, large 320 mm floating front disc is squeezed by a twin piston front caliper.
•298 mm rear disc is squeezed by a single piston caliper.
– caliper is mounted below the swingarm to lower center of gravity for lighter handling & a clean custom look
• Lightweight 8-spoke, cast aluminum wheels.
– front wheel size is MT3.50 x 18
– rear wheel size is MT4.50×18
– both fitted with tubeless tires
•Steel front & rear fenders allows for easy painting or customization… to suit personal preferences
•17 litre fuel tank
– extended riding range
– 3.4 litre reserve capacity (low fuel light illuminates)
– high capacity electric fuel pump
•Generous rider & passenger seats
– offers excellent long distance comfort & support
– rider seat is only 675 mm or 26.6″ inches off the ground
– front section of rider seat features a slim / narrow design, making it easier to touch both feet on the ground
– passenger seat can be easily removed if desired
•Full-size, “tapered” floating-type rider floorboards.
– roomy & comfortably positioned
– help reduce vibration
– special replaceable “scrapers” on the lower edge of floorboard
•1 inch, rubber mounted handlebars with bar end weights.
– reduced vibration for excellent comfort
– easy to reach
•Fuel tank mounted meter / instrument.
– functions include; speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter (counts kilometers since low fuel light illuminated), clock & range of warning lights
– self-diagnostic function
– adjustable background illumination
– instrument functions can be “tabbed” through & reset using the RHS handlebar switch gear, allowing the operator to change instrument functions without taking hands off the bars.
•Stylish fork mounted tall windshield.
– offers excellent wind & weather protection
– can be easily removed with only 4 bolts
– features chrome accents & a central Star logo
– optional Genuine Yamaha Accessory shorter windshields available
•23 litre, leather covered, hard shell saddlebags.
– stylish tapered design
– lockable for extra security
– one touch / one hand openers
– shell is made of ABS plastic & then leather wrapped… bags keep their shape
•Passenger backrest embossed with Star logo.
– adds comfort, style & peace of mind
– can be removed if desired
•60/55 watt high intensity halogen headlight.
2016 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $9,790 – Raven – CA Available November 2015; 49 State Availabile January 2016
58-cubic-inch (942cc) air-cooled SOHC 4-stroke V-twin; 8 valves
Bore x Stroke
85.0mm x 83.0mm
Electronic fuel injection
TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Suspension / Front
Telescopic fork; 5.3-in travel
Suspension / Rear
Single shock; 4.3-in travel
Brakes / Front
Hydraulic disc, 320mm
Brakes / Rear
Hydraulic disc, 298mm
Tires / Front
Tires / Rear
L x W x H
95.9 in x 39.4 in x 52.8 in
Rake (Caster Angle)
** Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha.
Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle,
accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as
applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is
useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2016 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: Starting from $10999 CDN
Air-cooled, SOHC, 8-valves (4-valves / cyl), 60 degree, V-twin
BORE AND STROKE
85 x 83mm
8 kg-m (57.9 ft-lb) @ 3,500rpm
35mm dual bore throttle body fuel injection
ESTIMATED FUEL CONSUMPTION±
19.9kpl / 56.2mpg (Imp.)
IGNITION / STARTING
TCI / Electric
Adjustable link Monocross
320mm disc / twin piston
298mm disc / single piston
/// CRITICAL DATA
17 litres (3.7 Imp. gal.)
298kg (657 lb)
Yellowish Metallic Gray
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
2016 Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer – www.Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: See Dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Model Not Available
*Starting at MSRP is the manufactured suggested price and excludes delivery, setup, tax, title, license, and additional fees and expenses. Bikes may be shown with optional accessories. Final sale price determined by an authorized dealer. Specifications and MSRP are subject to change.
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).