AWAKEN YOUR 500 SENSES.
2018 Honda CBR500R ABS Review on Total Motorcycle:
With a long list of world titles in MotoGP, World Superbike and World Supersport, Honda has a proud history in road racing. The CBR500R’s styling reflects that heritage, but the model recognizes such real-world considerations as comfort, affordability and user-friendly performance. With bodywork inspired by the supersport CBR600RR and CBR1000RR, the CBR500R boasts great performance at an affordable price.
It has quickly become one of our most popular streetbikes, and it’s no wonder why. With a perfect combination of performance, versatility and price, the Honda CBR500R just might be your next bike.
The CBR500R’s engine is powerful, smooth, and offers a wide powerband with plenty of revs. And with four-valve combustion chambers, twin overhead cams and fuel injection, it can confidently keep up with many bigger sportbikes.
A 500 twin is a great choice for a whole lot of sport riders. Generations of enthusiasts have known it, and the CBR500R is the newest incarnation.
While your new CBR500R may never go up against MotoGP World Champion Marc Marquez’s Honda RC213V—there’s plenty of technology proven on the track built into every Honda sportbike engine and chassis. No exceptions here.
Power You Can Rely On
The CBR500R’s parallel twin engine offers liquid-cooling, double-overhead cams and bulletproof reliability. This is a great all-around powerplant for just about any kind of riding you’re dreaming about.
Sporting Riding Position
The CBR500R’s riding position is right in the sweet spot without being too aggressive. Not too forward or too laid back, it’s great for commuting or carving up a canyon.
There is a full line of Honda Accessories for the CBR500R. Tailor your new bike to your needs with everything from a sport screen or color-matched passenger seat cowl to even carbon-look accents. Perfection is in the details.
Features & Options
471cc Liquid-Cooled DOHC Parallel-Twin
Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
Pro-Link® Rear Suspension
Features & Options
471cc Liquid-Cooled Parallel-Twin
Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
Pro-Link® Rear Suspension
Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
2018 Honda CBR500R ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
Honda Electronic Steering Damper
Most steering dampers only sense handlebar-deflection speed. The Honda Electronic Steering Damper (HESD) is way more sophisticated. It also detects vehicle speed, and adjusts damping proportionally. That helps maintain low-speed maneuverability while providing excellent, predictable high-speed handling.
Centrally Located Fuel Tank
The CBR600RR’s 4.8-gallon fuel tank is positioned in the center of the chassis and low in the frame. This allows for a more compact design, but even more important helps centralize the bike’s mass. Increased mass centralization means the CBR is more responsive to rider input, especially when leaning the bike into a turn or standing it up at the exit.
Dual-Stage Fuel Injection
Two sets of injectors per cylinder ensure both low- and high-rpm performance. You get near-instantaneous high-rpm response, along with great low-rpm metering and clean running.
Line-Beam headlights feature a two-piece reflector design that utilizes two H7 bulbs for optimum light distribution and unique compact design. The result: the headlight helps you see better and also helps make you visible to traffic.
Dual-Stage Ram Air
A nose-mounted, two-stage ram air system provides a high volume of cool air to the air box for linear power delivery and superb engine performance.
Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS) Inverted Fork
The HMAS cartridge fork features an exclusive internal piston construction. The innovative design employs smaller-diameter pistons to keep oil velocity high for improved damping characteristics and an expanded range of adjustability. The result: you get more precise suspension performance, especially over smaller surface irregularities.
Radial Mounted Front-Brake Calipers
The CBR600RR uses radial-mounted monoblock front-brake calipers. This construction makes the caliper stiffer, and that means you get better brake feel for more linear, powerful stopping. Each caliper also uses four chromium-plated aluminum pistons for smooth, friction-free operation.
With their consistent rigidity and balance, these sharp-looking 12-spoke cast aluminum wheels work with the fork and enhance suspension feedback to deliver real handling improvements.
Unit Pro-Link® Suspension
By eliminating the frame-mounted top shock mount, Unit Pro-Link® isolates the chassis from bumps, resulting in more precise handling and better traction. Developed on Honda’s championship-winning MotoGP bikes, it’s a perfect example of the CBR’s superior engineering.
2018 Honda CBR500R ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- The 471cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin DOHC engine, with same piston-bore size as CBR600RR, is thoroughly modern in design and produces a broad power spread for enjoyable and economical riding.
- Four-valve cylinder-head design incorporates a roller rocker arm for a more compact layout along with reduced friction.
- Shim-type valve-adjustment system allows incorporation of a lighter rocker arm setup that in turn allows for a lower valve-spring load to further reduce power losses through engine friction.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) continuously monitors several variables to ensure the correct fuel mixture is delivered for the existing riding and atmospheric conditions for crisp throttle response throughout a wide variety of riding conditions.
- Engine counterbalancer and 180-degree crankpin reduce engine vibration for superior rider comfort.
- Preloaded, scissors-type gears for the primary drive and engine counterbalancer gears help reduce engine noise.
- Smooth-shifting six-speed transmission.
- Short exhaust design yields good mass centralization and a throaty note.
- Sport bike riding position keeps the rider balanced in a comfortable, dynamic seating stance.
- Diamond-shaped 35mm steel tube frame is lightweight and rigid for responsive sport handling.
- Big 41mm front fork with 4.3 inches of travel returns a plush yet controlled ride.
- Sophisticated Pro-Link® single-shock rear suspension offers nine-stage spring preload adjustability and 4.7 inches of controlled travel.
- Lightweight cast aluminum wheels, 120/70-17 in front and 160/60-17 rear, return sporting feel and handling traits.
- Front 320mm wave-style disc brake and 240mm rear provide strong stopping power.
- ABS version available for enhanced braking characteristics in less than ideal conditions.
- Instrument display features speedometer, tachometer, odometer/A&B trip meters, fuel gauge, clock, real-time and average fuel consumption.
- The 30.9-inch seat height helps build rider confidence.
- Bodywork with supersport styling provides a sharp, aggressive look and aerodynamic lines.
- Dual LED headlights and taillight for a sharp look and great visibility.
- Stepped, two-piece seat design with 30.0 in. height and a passenger strap.
- User-friendly hinged fuel cap.
- Front brake lever features a five-step adjustment mechanism to suit rider preference.
- Fork has external preload adjuster to allow adaptation to different situations (i.e., riding with passenger, cargo).
- Die-cast aluminum passenger foot pegs provide a sporty feel.
One-year, transferable, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Meets current EPA and CARB standards
- California version differs slightly due to emissions equipment
2018 Honda CBR500R ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $6899 USD
|Type||471cc liquid-cooled parallel twin|
|Valve Train||DOHC; four valves per cylinder|
|Bore x Stroke||67.0mm x 66.8mm|
|Induction||PGM-FI fuel injection w/ 34mm throttle bodies|
|Ignition||Computer-controlled digital transistorized w/ electronic advance|
|Final Drive||O-ring-sealed chain|
|Front||41mm telescopic fork; 4.3 in. travel|
|Rear||Pro-Link® single shock w/ nine-position spring preload adjustability; 4.7 in. travel|
|Front||Single two-piston caliper w/ 320mm wave disc; ABS||Single two-piston caliper w/ 320mm wave disc|
|Rear||Single one-piston caliper w/ 240mm wave disc; ABS||Single one-piston caliper w/ 240mm wave disc|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||25.5º|
|Trail||102mm (4.0 in.)|
|Seat Height||30.7 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||4.4 gal.|
|Color||Pearl White, Grand Prix Red||Pearl White|
|Curb Weight*||428 lbs.||423 lbs.|
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride
Meets current EPA standards
Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment
Specifications subject to change
2018 Honda CBR500R ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $7399 CDN
Engine & Drivetrain
Liquid-cooled parallel twin
Bore & Stroke
67 mm x 66.8 mm
Chain-driven DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
#520 O-ring-sealed chain
Chassis & Suspension
41 mm telescopic fork with spring preload adjustment; 108 mm (4.3 in.) travel
Pro-Link single shock with spring preload adjustment; 119 mm (4.7 in.) travel
Front: 320 mm single wavy hydraulic disc with 2-piston caliper
Rear: 240 mm single wavy hydraulic disc with single-piston caliper with ABS
785 mm (30.9 in.)
1,410 mm (55.5 in.)
194 kg (428 lbs.) including required fluids and full tank of gas—ready to ride
Grand Prix Red, Pearl Metalloid White
12 months, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus
2018 Honda CBR500R ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).