VICTORY…NEVER GIVEN, ALWAYS EARNED.
2019 Yamaha YZ85:
Lightweight. Reliable. Born to perform. Step up, then step up to the podium. Victory awaits.
Step up to the perfect bike and continue the journey of earning victory after victory. The YZ85 has all the lightweight, 2‑stroke reliability and agility you’ve come to expect from Yamaha.
Redesigned from the ground up, the new YZ85 has been built to dominate the 85 cc class. Featuring a new engine with the Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS), new suspension, revised six-speed transmission and adjustable ergonomics, the 2019 YZ85 is ready to win races straight off the dealership floor.
For 2019, the YZ85’s compact, lightweight 85 cc two-stroke engine features revisions to the intake, exhaust and transmission. The addition of YPVS creates broad, tractable power across the rev range without losing peak power at high rpm.
A new front fork, new swingarm, new wave-style brake rotors and adjustable ergonomics complement the YZ85’s semi-double-cradle, single-backbone steel frame and fully adjustable suspension.
2019 Yamaha YZ85 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- New 85cc YPVS Two-Stroke Power
The 85cc liquid-cooled, two-stroke engine now features the Yamaha Power Valve System for broad, tractable power across the rev range without losing peak power at high rpm.
- Fully-Adjustable Fork
Lightweight 36mm KYB® inverted cartridge fork features 10.8 inches of travel with compression and rebound damping adjustability with low-friction outer tubes and internals.
- Upgraded Wheels and Brakes
Lightweight 17-inch front and 14-inch rear rims are durable and reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance, big 220mm and 190mm disc brakes for precise control, and new Dunlop® MX3S® knobbies for exceptional traction.
- New Adjustable Rider Ergonomics
New four-position adjustable handlebar mounts and taper-style handlebars allows the rider to tune the handlebar position to suit their size and preferences.
2019 Yamaha YZ85 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
NEW FOR 2019
- Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS)
- New cylinder head and longer connecting rod
- New crankcase design
- New spacer-style reed valve intake
- New optimized expansion chamber
- Revised transmission
- Adjustable rider ergonomics
- New swingarm design
- Upgraded brake line and wave-style rotors
- New Dunlop MX3S tires
- Potent, easy-to-service two-stroke engine
- Broad, tractable power across the rev range
- Smooth-shifting, six-speed, close-ratio transmission
- Compact, semi-double-cradle, single-backbone steel frame
- Race-ready, fully adjustable suspension
- Aggressive YZ styling
- Lightweight, compact, 85cc, liquid-cooled, crankcase reed-valve inducted, 2-stroke single.
- Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS).
- Mechanical power valve system delivers effective exhaust timing throughout the entire rev range
- Provides excellent power and torque characteristics
- Boosts compression ratio and power output
- Delivers responsive acceleration just as the rider intends
- Slit-shaped valve on the side of the exhaust port operates in response to engine rpm
- In low-to-mid-rpm range when exhaust timing is slower, valve moves to cover the top part of the exhaust port
- In high rpm range when quick exhaust timing is needed, valve recedes and exhaust port is fully uncovered
- Shifting is reduced due to broader powerband
- Crankcase reed valve induction and 28 mm Keihin flat-slide carburetor.
- crisp, seamless throttle response across the powerband
- new design features spacer-style reed valve intake for improved gas flow
- Carburetor settings optimized for updated engine
- Lightweight, forged piston.
- less reciprocating mass and less friction for a faster revving engine
- excellent durability
- CDI ignition system.
- provides a hot, precise spark for fast sure starts
- provides optimal timing for quicker, stronger response at all rpms
- Smooth-shifting, six-speed transmission.
- involute design increases the surface area contact between the gears
- special involute splines on main and drive shafts provide maximum engagement / hook-up for each gear for smoother, more positive shifts
- gear ratios are well matched to engine output
- Gear dimensions optimized for 2019 based on YPVS engine performance
- Heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch.
- smooth positive shifting
- Quick-remove, clutch sub-cover.
- fast, easy clutch access
- Lightweight radiator with high-capacity cores and special louvers to direct the air through the rad.
- maximum cooling efficiency
- Large-capacity airbox with washable, dual-stage, foam filter.
- excellent filtering qualities
- Lightweight exhaust system.
- revised expansion chamber matches the improved output of YPVS engine
- aluminium silencer is re-packable to maintain optimum performance and reduced noise levels
- Rigid, semi-double cradle, single backbone, steel frame.
- blend of light weight and good strength
- minimal flex for razor-sharp, moto-wining handling
- Detachable rear subframe.
- allows easy access for suspension maintenance
- reduces costs in the event of a loop-out (subframe can be purchased separately)
- Revised, lightweight box-section aluminium swingarm.
- composite chain guide and updated chain adjusters provide easier maintenance
- provides excellent rear-wheel control and traction
- Adjustable 36mm inverted KYB fork with 275 mm (10.8 in) of wheel travel.
- new low-friction outer tubes and internals are similar to full-size YZ models
- 20 clicks of both compression and rebound damping
- adjustable design allows suspension settings to match rider weight, rider style and track conditions
- YZ125 / 250-based “big bike” valving and low-friction fork seals
- smooth, compliant stroke for superior suspension performance and handling
- front fork guard redesigned with brake hose outside of fork guard
- Fully adjustable Monocross link rear suspension provides 282mm (11.1 in) of wheel travel.
- Kayaba piggyback shock reduces shock temperatures during a long moto for fade resistant damping and consistent performance.
- adjustments include “threaded” spring preload, 15 clicks of compression and 20 clicks of rebound damping
- optional shock springs are available through Yamaha Genuine Parts and Accessories
- 220 mm front stainless steel wave front disc with twin-piston caliper.
- delivers strong stopping power with excellent control and great feedback.
- New tapered aluminum handlebar and adjustable crown.
- Tapered handlebar
- “Shorty-style” adjustable front brake lever.
- adjusts to fit various hand sizes
- Clutch lever holder allows for clutch lever reach adjustment.
- adjusts to fit various hand sizes.
- 190 mm stainless steel rear disc brake squeezed by a single piston caliper.
- Excellent stopping power
- caliper is protected by a rugged plastic protector
- Lightweight, blue 17-inch front and 14-inch rear DID rims.
- excellent durability
- reduces unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance
- new Dunlop MX3S knobby tires offer exceptional traction
- Modern, aggressive, slim line bodywork.
- slim body design for excellent freedom of movement and rider mobility
- Sealed tapered steering head bearings for extra durability
- Serrated rear brake pedal and folding shift lever tip
- Wide, cast-alloy serrated footpegs offer good grip
- Stainless steel inner clutch cable for longer life and smooth operation
- Rubber boots on clutch and brake levers to reduce dirt, mud and water entry for durability
- Convenient lifting holes in side cover
- New rugged chain guide helps prevent chain from de-railing and also protects rear sprocket
- E10 friendly fuel system components
2019 Yamaha YZ85 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $4599 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $5999 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Australia MSRP Price: See Dealer for Pricing in AU
Engine Type 85cc liquid-cooled 2-stroke; reed-valve inducted
Bore x Stroke 47.5mm x 47.8mm
Compression Ratio 8.2~9.6:1
Fuel Delivery Keihin® PWK 28
Transmission Constant-mesh 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front Inverted fork; fully adjustable, 10.8-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock; fully adjustable, 11.1-in travel
Brakes / Front Hydraulic disc, 220mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 190mm
Tires / Front 70/100-17 Dunlop® MX3S
Tires / Rear 90/100-14 Dunlop® MX3S
L x W x H 71.7 in x 29.9 in x 45.1 in
Seat Height 33.1 in
Wheelbase 49.4 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 26.33°
Trail 3.5 in
Fuel Capacity 1.3 gal
Wet Weight 161 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2019 Yamaha YZ85 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|2-stroke, liquid-cooled, crankcase-reed-valve single with YPVS|
|Bore and Stroke|
|47.5 x 47.8 mm|
|Ignition / Starting|
|CDI / Kick|
|Fully adjustable KYB 36 mm inverted fork / 275 mm (10.8 in) wheel travel|
|Fully adjustable Kayaba shock / 282 mm (11.1 in) wheel travel|
|220 mm disc / twin-piston caliper|
|190 mm disc / single-piston caliper|
|1,820 mm (71.7 in)|
|760 mm (29.9 in)|
|1,125 mm (44.3 in)|
|1,257 mm (49.5 in)|
|330 mm (13 in)|
|840 mm (33.1 in)|
|5.9 litres (1.3 imp. gal.)|
|71 kg (157 lb)|
|Yamaha Racing Blue|
2019 Yamaha YZ85 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
2019 Yamaha YZ85 – Totalmotorcycle.com Australian Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).