2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400 : STREET BORN TRILL.
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400.
The Ninja® 400 offers the largest displacement in its category at 399cc with the sophistication of twin-cylinder power. Approachable power, superb ergonomics and class-leading performance offer a smooth, manageable ride that’s ideal for new riders while also alluring experienced riders. A low seat height and aggressive styling with LED headlights make the Ninja 400 the ideal choice for riders looking to enter the sport-riding scene.
The Ninja® 400 is a street-born, track-inspired lightweight sportbike. Unlike other lightweight sportbike competitors, the Ninja 400 has more power with its larger displacement engine; fresh, angular bodywork with LED headlights for the most modern styling; and has the Kawasaki Racing Team DNA from the only manufacturer that currently holds four consecutive FIM Superbike World Championships (2015/2016/2017/2018). Every ride thrills as only a true Ninja sport bike can.
The award-winning Ninja® 400 sportbike was developed to suit a wide range of riders, allowing them to have a motorcycle that provides plenty of excitement while feeling confident. Thanks to its efficient design, the compact, lightweight engine provides a class leading power to weight ratio. The power delivery was designed to be smooth and manageable, with abundant low-end torque to enable smooth throttle response for a range of riders. Complementing the performance and handling of the new Ninja 400 is the sharp looking Ninja sportbike styling, designed to catch the eye of even the most seasoned riders. For 2020, the Ninja 400 is available in Pearl Blizzard White and Metallic Spark Black/Magnetic Dark Gray/Phantom.
Get ahead with class-leading power and performance with the all-new Ninja 400. Clad in sharp new Ninja styling, the Ninja 400 has an engine and chassis that are more powerful and significantly lighter than its Ninja 300 predecessor. Its stronger engine performance, light, predictable handling and relaxed, sporty riding position make the Ninja 400 both fun and easy to ride.
Your ride to greatness starts here.
ADDITIONAL VEHICLE FEATURES:
Uni-Trak® rear suspension
310mm semi-floating petal front disc brake
Twin LED headlights
High-grade multifunction dash instrumentation
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- ENGINE IS POWERFUL YET HAS SMOOTH, PREDICTABLE RESPONSE
- ASSIST AND SLIPPER CLUTCH HAS LIGHT PULL AND WIDE ENGAGEMENT RANGE FOR EASY USE
- TRELLIS FRAME PROVIDES LIGHT, PREDICTABLE HANDLING AND CONTRIBUTES TO SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT SAVINGS
- LARGEST FRONT BRAKE IN CLASS FOR SUPERB STOPPING POWER
- SLIM SEAT DESIGN HELPS IMPROVE REACH TO GROUND
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
Parallel Twin Engine
The engine has a rider-friendly character, smooth response and abundant low-end torque to please both new and experienced riders
- Downdraft intake tract provides a short, direct path for intake air to enter the cylinder, improving cylinder-filling efficiency and contributing to power, especially at high rpm. The downdraft intake also helps eliminate space under the seat so that it could be designed to provide an easier reach to the ground.
- Large airbox contributes to intake efficiency for more power. The airbox design helps the rider more clearly hear the engine’s intake note during acceleration.
- Unequal height of the intake funnels help smooth throttle response by tuning out torque valleys.
- The 32mm throttle valves are oval shaped so that their closed position is at an angle, which contributes to quick throttle response as the valves open quickly from initial valve rotation.
- Fine-atomizing injectors positioned close to the throttle valves allows them to spray fuel directly onto the valves, which contributes to combustion efficiency and linear throttle response.
- 27.7mm intake and 23.5mm exhaust valves contribute to performance at all engine speeds.
- Forged camshafts, usually found only on larger- displacement machines, contribute to weight reduction.
- Oil jets cool the underside of the pistons, enabling a lighter piston design.
- Aluminum die-cast cylinder has an open deck design for excellent heat dissipation and reduced engine weight. Cylinders are sleeveless with plated bores.
- The cylinder is tilted forward 20 degrees to help reduce overall engine height.
- Lightweight flywheel lets the engine rev quickly for sharp response and direct power feeling.
- Machined balancer shaft helps offset engine vibration for a more comfortable ride.
- Oil pan design allows the exhaust system to trace a straighter line, which contributes to weight savings.
- Large-diameter header pipes contribute to performance throughout the rev range.
- Cooling system layout minimizes weight and external coolant pipes.
- Radiator fan cover directs hot air out to the sides and away from the rider for increased comfort when riding in heavy traffic. It also helps keep the tank, frame and other parts that the rider contacts cooler, further increasing comfort.
- The assist and slipper clutch(KP) is compact, and it’s operating plates help reduce lever pull for an extremely light feel at the lever. A wide engagement range helps make it easy to control.
- Using the rotational forces of the clutch hub and pressure plate, the clutch is forced together during acceleration (assist function) so that fewer and lighter clutch springs can be used for a lighter feel at the lever. During high back torque, such as when too low of gear is selected during downshifting, the slipper function allows some clutch slippage to help prevent rear wheel hop and stalling due to engine lock-up.
- Close gear ratios facilitate smooth shifting.
Lightweight Trellis Frame
- Trellis frame is similar in design to that of the Ninja H2™. Kawasaki’s advanced dynamic rigidity analysis was used to ensure optimum rigidity with minimal weight, so the frame significantly contributes to the bikes low overall curb mass.
- Supersport-style chassis design has a short wheelbase and long swingarm complemented by a steep steering angle that provides light, nimble handling.
- Square-tube swingarm construction provides rigidity without unnecessary gusseting, which contributes to weight savings.
- Uni-Trak®(KP) rear suspension linkage ratios and shock settings enhance the ride feel.
- 41mm fork provides rigidity and smooth suspension action so the front wheel has a better planted feel.
- Large 310mm semi-floating petal front disc is gripped by a balanced actuation dual-piston caliper. The front brake is the largest in the class and disc size is the same as the ones on the Ninja® ZX™-14R.
- Rigid front brake master cylinder helps eliminate idle stroke for a more positive feel.
- Rear dual-piston caliper with large pistons clamps a 220mm rear petal disc.
- Stylish star-pattern 5-spoke wheels are similar to those of the Ninja® 650, contribute weight savings, and their optimized lateral rigidity benefits handling by adding to cornering performance.
- Radial tires offer light weight, excellent grip and contribute to both agile handling and riding comfort.
- Large-volume bodywork helps make the Ninja 400 appear bigger than an entry-class machine and more in line with the Ninja ZX™-6R/10R.
- Sharp front cowl with chin spoilers invoke images of the Kawasaki supersport flagship Ninja H2™ and Ninja ZX-10R.
- Slim LED headlights enhance the aggressive look, are highly visible to other motorists and provide increased brightness over conventional bulbs.
- Tail cowl features the same triple-peak design of the Ninja H2, further reinforcing the Ninja 400’s bloodline. An LED tail light similar in design to that of the Ninja ZX-10R finishes off the Ninja 400’s sharp impression.
- Relaxed riding position accommodates a wide range of rider sizes and riding situations. Unlike some competitors with more extreme ergonomics, the Ninja 400’s elevated handlegrip position and slightly forward footpegs put the rider in a comfortable position.
- The large-volume bodywork provides great wind protection and promotes clean airflow around the rider, adding to comfort. The design also helps dissipate engine heat out the side openings of the fairing.
- The seat cushioning is thick, uses low-rebound urethane for added comfort, and is relatively narrow, so that it is easier for rider’s feet to reach the ground.
- Supersport-style aluminium footpegs provide direct feel when sport riding.
High Grade Instrumentation
- Equipped with the same instrument panel as the Ninja 650 with a large analog tachometer flanked by warning lamps on the left and gear-position indicator and multi-function LCD screen on the right.
- LCD screen has a negative display for a sporty, modern appearance.
- Gear position indicator helps with shifting precision and confidence.
- Other display functions include odometer, dual trip meters, remaining fuel range, current and average fuel consumption, coolant temperature, clock and Economical Riding Indicator.
- The Economical Riding Indicator appears to indicate favorable fuel consumption to help riders maximize fuel mileage.
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: NON-ABS: $4,999-$5,199 / MSRP ABS: $5,299-$5,499 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine 4-stroke, 2-cylinder, DOHC, water-cooled
Bore x Stroke 70.0 x 51.8mm
Compression Ratio 11.5:1
Fuel System DFI® with dual 32mm throttle bodies
Ignition TCBI w/digital advance
Final Drive Sealed chain
Front Suspension / Wheel Travel 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork/4.7 in
Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel Horizontal back-link with adjustable spring preload/5.1 in
Front Tire 110/70-17
Rear Tire 150/70-17
Front Brakes Single 310mm petal-type disc with 2-piston caliper
Rear Brakes Single 220mm petal-type disc with single-piston caliper
Frame Type Trellis, high-tensile steel
Rake/Trail 24.7°/3.6 in.
Overall Length 78.3
Overall Width 28
Overall Height 44.1
Ground Clearance 5.5
Seat Height 30.9
Curb Weight 366**
Fuel Capacity 3.7
Color Choices Pearl Blizzard White, Metallic Spark Black/ Metallic Magnetic Dark Gray/ Phantom Blue
Warranty 12 Month Limited Warranty
Kawasaki Protection Plus™ (optional) 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
**Curb weight includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90 percent capacity) and tool kit (if supplied). When equipped, California evaporative
emissions equipment adds approximately 2.2 lb.
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).