2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 : NO ABS AND A LOWER PRICE.
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650.
Continuing in the path of its predecessor, the well balanced, sporty and stylish new Ninja 650 ABS is updated to improve comfort when riding two-up, new rubber has been added for better traction and control, smartphone connectivity is now available thanks to the new TFT colour dash, and sharper, more aggressive detailing to reflect more of the Ninja family’s looks. A 650cc parallel-twin engine produces strong low-to-mid range power in a slim, middleweight package while adhering to the latest Euro5 emissions specifications.
NEW GRIPPING POWER
For 2020, the Ninja 650 ABS is outfitted with Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport 2 Tires, contributing to even lighter handling characteristics, improved control and better traction.
A wider rear-seat design and thicker padding material leads to better comfort for passengers.
STRONG NINJA STYLING
Kawasaki sets the bar when it comes to sportbike styling. For 2020, the Ninja 650 looks even racier with a new upper cowl that produces an aggressive ‘supersport’ slant, and a redesigned windshield sits lower and flush with the cowl to improve wind protection.
Reinvigorated to further embody Ninja® sportbike lineage, the new 2020 Ninja® 650 motorcycle comes packed with a sporty 649cc engine, next-level technology advancements and sharp styling updates. Unmistakable sport performance is met with an upright riding position for exciting daily commutes, while a supreme level of attitude reminds you of its legendary heritage.
With new sleek, angular bodywork draped over a light weight, sporty trellis frame and responsive parallel twin engine, the Ninja® 650 delivers uncompromising middleweight Ninja motorcycle performance and style while maintaining everyday versatility.
ADDITIONAL VEHICLE FEATURES:
New twin LED headlights
New upper cowl and windshield
New passenger seat
New Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport 2 tires
New Kawasaki Genuine Accessories (sold separately)
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- NEW AGGRESSIVE NINJA® MOTORCYCLE STYLING
- NEW TWIN LED HEADLIGHTS
- NEW TPT COLOR INSTRUMENTATION
- FUEL-EFFICIENT TWIN-CYLINDER ENGINE DELIVERS SMOOTH POWER
- LIGHTWEIGHT TRELLIS FRAME PROVIDES AGILE, SPORTY HANDLING
Kawasaki is no stranger to the pursuit of performance, excitement, and all out fun, and nothing embodies this philosophy more than the new 2020 Ninja® 650 motorcycle. It’s one of the most well balanced motorcycles Kawasaki has produced, blending the fun and easy handling with optimal engine and chassis performance, and the legendary sleek Kawasaki Ninja® styling. For 2020, the new Kawasaki Ninja 650 features the tried and true 650cc parallel twin cylinder power plant and new styling, as well as a high-performance chassis and a full suite of state of the art advanced rider support features.
What makes the Ninja 650 one of the most well-balanced and exciting motorcycles for a daily commute or an afternoon out on some tight, winding, back roads is the strong parallel twin engine and sporty lightweight chassis, which delivers smooth and agile handling.
Developed to offer the ideal blend of sporty performance and everyday versatility for a wide range of riders, the Ninja 650 keeps the good times rolling. The Ninja 650 features sharp, new styling, new LED headlights, TFT color display, smartphone connectivity via RIDEOLOGY THE APP, as well as several other new updates.
Highlights of the 2020 NINJA 650
- NEW Styling with Twin LED Headlights
- NEW TFT Color Instrumentation
- NEW Smartphone Connectivity via RIDEOLOGY THE APP
- NEW Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport 2 Tires
- NEW Upper Cowl, Windshield, and Passenger Seat
The sharp new styling of the Ninja 650 gives the motorcycle an even sportier appearance and even stronger Ninja family appearance. Its sleek and sporty design catches the attention of new and seasoned riders alike.
The new upper cowl is wider, with more sleek contours that help create the sporty appearance. Prioritizing a sportier look, the redesigned windshield is now lower and flush-fit with the upper cowl. It’s set at a more upright angle to offer the rider increased wind protection. Another new styling feature to the Ninja 650 is the addition of the twin LED headlights, each featuring low and high beam as well as a position lamp. To further enhance the image of the motorcycle fairing bolts have been replaced by hooks, which create a clean, smooth surface for a high-class appeal.
Increased passenger comfort also complements the new styling of the Ninja 650, with a thicker and wider urethane passenger seat.
TFT Color Instrumentation
The new 4.3” all-digital TFT color instrumentation– a Kawasaki first in the 650cc class – gives the cockpit of the Ninja 650 motorcycle a high-tech, high-grade appearance. The new meter also offers additional features.
The full color display features TFT (thin-film transistor) technology, which delivers a high level of visibility. The screen’s background color is selectable (black or white), and screen brightness adjusts automatically to suit available light. Display functions include: digital speedometer, digital bar-style tachometer, gear position indicator, shift lamp, fuel gauge, odometer, dual trip meters, current and average fuel consumption, remaining range, average speed, total time, coolant temperature, clock, battery voltage, Kawasaki service reminder, oil change reminder, and Economical Riding Indicator.
Another Kawasaki first for the middleweight Ninja® line of motorcycles is the addition of Smartphone Connectivity. A chip built into the instrument panel enables riders to connect to their motorcycle wirelessly. Using RIDEOLOGY THE APP, a number of instrument functions can be accessed, logged, and reviewed contributing to an enhanced motorcycling experience. The following information can be viewed:
- Vehicle Info
- Check latest status update
- Riding Log
- Can be logged in detail, and played back for review
- Route, Distance & Time traveled can be logged for review
- Riding conditions can be recorded in detail
- Telephone Notifications
- Provides a notification on dash when a call or mail is received by smartphone
- General instrument display setting changes can be made on your smartphone
The app can also be used when away from the motorcycle. When riding (with the app ON), the bike and smartphone are always connected and riding log data is being recorded by the app. After your ride, the latest riding information is stored by the app and may be viewed on the smartphone. Any changes made via the app while the engine is off, or while out of range, will be implemented as soon as the ignition is turned on and the smartphone is in range with the app ON.
Enhancing performance on the 2020 Ninja 650 are the new Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport 2 tires, which help to improve upon the lightweight and nimble handling of the Ninja 650.
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
NEW FOR 2020
Sharper Ninja Styling
- New styling provides a more aggressive appearance and stronger resemblance to the multi-time Superbike World Championship-winning Ninja® ZX™-10R.
- Wider upper cowl with a more pronounced slant contributes to the aggressive looks.
- New windscreen is lower and flush-fit with the cowl for a better appearance. Since it is set at a more upright angle on the new cowl it also provides better wind deflection.
- Twin LED headlights, each with low and high beam plus a position lamp, add to the aggressive appearance.
- Fairing bolts were eliminated so the fairings have a clean, smooth surface for a more upscale appearance.
- New Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport 2 tires contribute to lighter handling.
Increased Passenger Comfort
- The passenger seat has thicker urethane padding and is slightly wider for better comfort, with a more substantial hip pad for solo riding.
TFT Color Instrumentation
- New 4.3-inch all-digital TFT (thin-film transistor) color instrumentation gives the cockpit a high-tech, high-grade appearance.
- TFT delivers a high level of visibility. The screen’s background color is selectable (black or white), and screen brightness adjusts automatically to suit available light.
- Display functions include: digital speedometer, digital bar- style tachometer, gear position indicator, shift lamp, fuel gauge, odometer, dual trip meters, current and average fuel consumption, remaining range, average speed, total time, coolant temperature, clock, battery voltage, Kawasaki service reminder, oil change reminder and the Kawasaki Economical Riding Indicator.
- Bluetooth chip allows connection to smartphone and RIDEOLOGY THE APP.
- Handlebar switches allow the rider to easily scroll through all mode selection and display options with a fingertip.
RIDEOLOGY THE APP Smartphone Connectivity†
†Do not operate smartphone while riding
- A Bluetooth® chip built into the instrument panel enables riders to connect to their motorcycle wirelessly. Using the smartphone application “RIDEOLOGY THE APP,” a number of instrument functions can be accessed, contributing to an enhanced motorcycling experience.
– Vehicle Info: information such as fuel gauge, odometer, maintenance schedule, etc can be viewed via the smartphone.
– Riding Log: GPS route information as well as vehicle running information can be logged and viewed via the smartphone.
– Telephone notices: when a call or mail is received by the smartphone, this is indicated on the instrument display.
– Vehicle Settings: Riding Mode (Road, Sport, Rain, Rider) can be set in advance on the smartphone and uploaded when paired with the bike, as can riding support systems (like KQS) and the payload mode.
– General Settings: general instrument display settings (such as preferred units, date, date format, etc) can be adjusted via the smartphone.
- Once vehicle information has been downloaded to the app, it can be viewed on the smartphone. Available information includes: odometer, trip A, trip B, fuel gauge, remaining range, average gas mileage, average speed, max lean angle (right/left), battery voltage, Kawasaki service reminder, oil change reminder, etc.
- Detailed riding logs including GPS information and vehicle running information can be recorded. While riding, the app tracks vehicle speed, rpm, gear position, throttle position, front brake fluid pressure, acceleration/deceleration, current mileage, and coolant temperature from moment to moment. Once the riding log has been paired, riders can review these items in a graphic-style display at any point along the route. The app can also display a ride summary, with information that may include: route travelled, total distance, total time, gas mileage (best/average), speed (best/average), max lean angle (right/left), etc. For either display mode, riders can select which items are displayed, and can arrange them in their preferred order.
- When riding with the app ON the bike and smartphone are always connected. When the engine is turned off, the latest riding information stored by the app may be viewed on the smartphone.
Any vehicle setting changes made via the app while the engine is off, or while out of range, will be uploaded when the ignition is turned on and the smartphone is in range with the app ON. General settings can only be updated via the app when the bike and smartphone are connected.
649cc Twin-Cylinder, DOHC Engine
- Tuned to deliver strong, responsive power for performance that favors everyday riding and inspires confidence in newer riders, yet is spirited enough for sport riding.
- Camshaft profiles are tuned for quick response and performance.
- Slim intake port shape also helps boost engine response and performance.
- Airbox design with a single large inlet contributes to the power feeling.
- Exhaust system has a short header and the sleek muffler’s internal construction further enhances power delivery.
- Muffler is mounted below the engine to help lower the center of gravity and aid weight centralization.
- Kawasaki Air Management System(KP) (KAMS) radiator fan cover helps direct hot engine air down to the ground and away from the rider.
- Compact parallel twin engine helps reduce the dimensions of the entire motorcycle to keep it small and nimble.
- 180-degree crankshaft plus balancer shaft for extremely smooth engine operation.
- Triangular crank and transmission shaft layout makes the engine very short from front to back, a semi-dry sump(KP) oil system reduces overall engine height, while the narrow pitch of the chrome composite(KP) plated aluminum cylinders helps reduce engine width.
Digital Fuel Injection(KP)
- Fuel injection settings provide smooth low end response while contributing to the engine‘s quick- revving character.
- Throttle body diameter is 36mm and utilizes fine atomizing injectors to further enhance engine response and low-to-mid-range power.
- The throttle bodies feature sub-throttle valves(KP) for optimum performance and rideability. The sub throttles, located behind the main throttle valves, are controlled by the ECU so that the EFI system has more precise throttle response, similar to a constant-velocity carburetor.
- Precise fuel injection plus exhaust catalyzer significantly reduce emissions.
- Automatic fast idle system makes starting and warm-up easy.
Assist & Slipper Clutch(KP)
- Using the rotational forces of the clutch hub and pressure plate, the clutch is forced together during acceleration (Assist function) so that fewer and lighter clutch springs can be used for a lighter feel at the lever. During high back-torque, such as when too low of gear is selected, the Slipper function allows some clutch slippage to help prevent engine lock-up and stalling, and rear-wheel hop.
- Equipped with a linkage-type gear shift mechanism for positive shift touch and feeling.
- Cassette-style transmission puts the transmission shafts and shift drum into a compact layout.
- Includes Positive Neutral Finder, a Kawasaki exclusive user-friendly feature.
- High-tensile steel trellis frame has optimized dimensions and wall thicknesses to significantly reduce frame weight and contribute to extremely light handling.
- Frame components follow the ideal pipe line so that the lines of the frame are as straight as possible. When bends were necessary their angles were as small as possible, resulting in a design that disperses stress extremely well.
- Three-point rigidly mounted engine and footpeg stays are used as stressed members to contribute to weight reduction.
- Horizontal Back-link progressive suspension system like that found on the Ninja® ZX™-10R optimizes balance, sport riding potential and ride comfort.
- The linkage is placed atop the swingarm and helps make room for the under-engine muffler for better mass centralization.
- Rear shock is further away from the exhaust so that its operation will not be affected by exhaust heat.
- Gull-wing swingarm uses hollow press construction that helps keep it light.
41mm Front Fork
- Upper triple clamp has stylish reinforcing ribs on the upper surface to enhance appearance.
Triple Petal Design Brake Discs
- Nissin brake calipers provide excellent brake feel and control and project a sporty image.
- Front brake calipers grip dual 300mm petal discs and have big 27mm pistons for excellent brake feel.
- Petal design offers great cooling and warp resistance.
Wheels and Tires
- Sporty five-spoke wheel design has a light, nimble appearance.
- Separate, clip-on style handlebar mounts atop the upper triple clamp are positioned slightly forward for an aggressive sport riding position. However, the leg position is opened up by placing the footpegs low and forward to help maintain comfort.
- The seat is low and slim at the front to make it easier for the rider to place both feet on the ground at a stop.
- The fuel tank is positioned low on the chassis and its slim design further facilitates the reach to the ground for added rider confidence. A resin design fuel cap eliminates the presence of mounting bolts for a stylish design.
- 5-way adjustable brake and clutch levers accommodate a variety of hand sizes for increased comfort and control.
- Bodywork evokes a strong Ninja supersport image in line with the track-focused Ninja® ZX™-6R and ZX-10R.
- Chin spoilers below the swept-back headlights make the front cowl closely resemble that of the Ninja ZX-10R.
- Fairing has large openings to maximize airflow and reduce engine heat.
- Front fender design and compact, upswept tail cowl contribute to the aggressive image.
- LED taillight lights up in an X shape.
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: NON-ABS: $7,399 / MSRP ABS: $7,799 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine 4-stroke, 2-cylinder, DOHC, water-cooled
Bore x Stroke 83.0 x 60.0mm
Compression Ratio 10.8:1
Fuel System DFI® with dual 36mm Keihin throttle bodies
Ignition TCBI with digital advance
Final Drive Sealed chain
Electronic Rider Aids ABS
Front Suspension / Wheel Travel 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork/4.9 in
Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel Horizontal back-link with adjustable spring preload/5.1 in
Front Tire 120/70×17
Rear Tire 160/60×17
Front Brakes Dual 300mm petal-type discs and 2-piston calipers and ABS
Rear Brakes Single 220mm petal-type disc and single-piston caliper and ABS
Frame Type Trellis, high-tensile steel
Overall Length 80.9
Overall Width 29.1
Overall Height 44.7
Ground Clearance 5.1
Seat Height 31.1
Curb Weight 425.6**
Fuel Capacity 4.0 gal
Color Choices Metallic Spark Black, Pearl Blizzard White
Warranty 12 Month Limited Warranty
Kawasaki Protection Plus™ (optional) 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
**Curb weight includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90 percent capacity) and tool kit (if supplied). When equipped, California
evaporative emissions equipment adds approximately 2.2 lb.
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).