2020 Kawasaki Z650 : LIGHTER NON-ABS PACKAGE.
2020 Kawasaki Z650.
The Z650 is a light, nimble middleweight supernaked motorcycle for discerning riders.
The powerplant and chassis of the Z650 are what make this motorcycle extremely well-balanced and fun to ride. Whether it’s a daily commute or just an afternoon on some backroads, the strong parallel twin engine and sporty lightweight chassis of the Z650 create a winning package.
Kawasaki has built a legacy of creating motorcycles that have unrivaled performance, excitement, and Sugomi™ styling, all of which is embodied in the new 2020 Z650 compact middleweight motorcycle. Known as one of the most well-balanced motorcycles in the Kawasaki lineup, the Z650 blends easy handling, optimal engine and chassis performance with bold Sugomi styling. For 2020, the new Kawasaki Z650 features new styling, LED headlight, new Dunlop tires, and a full suite of state-of-the-art advanced rider support features.
Aggressive meets supernaked with this ideal blend of sporty performance and everyday versatility. Featuring next-level technology and a strong 649cc engine, the Z650 naked sportbike is a compact middleweight without equal.
PARALLEL-TWIN 649cc ENGINE
LIGHTWEIGHT TRELLIS FRAME
NEW Styling with LED Headlights
TFT color instrumentation
Smartphone Connectivity via RIDEOLOGY THE APP
Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport 2 tires
Increased passenger comfort
2020 Kawasaki Z650 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- TWIN-CYLINDER ENGINE DELIVERS STONG, SMOOTH AND RESPONSIVE POWER
- ASSIST AND SLIPPER CLUTCH PROVIDES LIGHT FEEL, EASY OPERATION
- LIGHTWEIGHT TRELLIS FRAME
- HORIZONTAL BACK-LINK REAR SUSPENSION SYSTEM
- NEW LED HEADLIGHT
- NEW TFT COLOR INSTRUMENTATION
- NEW SMARTPHONE CONNECTIVITY WITH RIDEOLOGY THE APP
The sharper Sugomi styling of the Z650 gives the motorcycle an even stronger appearance. The bold appearance of the LED headlamps, headlamp cowl, and new shrouds are sure to catch the attention of new and seasoned riders alike.
At the front of the Z650, the new compact LED headlamp is complemented by a centrally located LED position lamp. The defined, sharp edges emphasize the design of the new headlamp. The headlamp cowl is sharper and more compact, with a distinct two-piece design that positions colored parts higher, to create a light image. The sleek chin spoiler, new meter cover, and more forward-slanting lines contribute to the Sugomi design and appearance. Complementing the new front-end appearance is the clean and functional design of the new wide shrouds and radiator covers which encapsulate the fierce image of Sugomi styling.
Increased passenger comfort also complements the new styling of the Z650, with a thicker and wider urethane passenger seat.
TFT COLOR INSTRUMENTATION
The new 4.3” all-digital TFT color instrumentation gives the cockpit of the Z650 motorcycle a high-tech, high-grade appearance. The full color display features TFT (thin-film transistor) technology delivers a high level of visibility. The screen’s background color is selectable (black or white), and screen brightness adjusts automatically to suit available light. Display functions include: digital speedometer, digital bar-style tachometer, gear position indicator, shift lamp, fuel gauge, odometer, dual trip meters, current and average fuel consumption, remaining range, average speed, total time, coolant temperature, clock, battery voltage, Kawasaki service reminder, oil change reminder, and Economical Riding Indicator.
Another Kawasaki first for the middleweight Z line of motorcycles is the addition of Smartphone Connectivity. A chip built into the instrument panel enables riders to connect to their motorcycle wirelessly. Using RIDEOLOGY THE APP*, a number of instrument functions can be accessed, logged, and reviewed contributing to an enhanced motorcycling experience. The following information can be viewed:
1. Vehicle Info
• Check latest status update
2. Riding Log
• Can be logged in detail, and played back for review
• Route, distance and time traveled can be logged for review
• Riding conditions can be recorded in detail
3. Telephone Notifications
• Provides a notification on dash when a call or mail is received by smartphone
4. General Settings
• General instrument display setting changes can be made on your smartphone
The app can also be used when away from the motorcycle. When riding (with the app ON), the bike and smartphone are always connected, and riding log data is being recorded by the app. After your ride, the latest riding information is stored by the app and may be viewed on the smartphone. Any changes made via the app while the engine is off, or while out of range, will be implemented as soon as the ignition is turned on and the smartphone is in range with the app ON.
*RIDEOLOGY THE APP is not intended for use during vehicle operation. Only use RIDEOLOGY THE APP when the vehicle is not being operated and it is safe to do so.
Enhancing performance on the 2020 Kawasaki Z650 are new Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport 2 tires, which help to improve upon the lightweight and nimble handling of the Z650.
2020 Kawasaki Z650 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
NEW FOR 2020
A sharper, more compact cowl and more muscular looking radiator shrouds give the new Z650 a stronger sugomi presence. Sugomi describes the intense aura or energy given off by a person or object of greatness and felt by the viewer.
Someone, or something, possessing sugomi inspires awe, leaves an indelible impression, is daunting in stature or ability, and commands respect.
A compact new LED headlight is complemented by a centrally located LED position lamp. Sharper edges emphasize the design of the new headlight.
New cowl is sharper and more compact, with a distinct two-piece design that positions the colored pieces higher to create a light appearance. The sharp chin spoiler, new meter cover and more forward-slanting lines of the cowl contribute to the sugomi design.
Wider radiator shrouds provide the impression of muscular shoulders, adding to the Z650’s fierce appearance, while their functional design adds to the sharp looks.
New Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport 2 tires contribute to lighter handling.
New 4.3-inch all-digital TFT (thin-film transistor) color instrumentation gives the cockpit a high-tech, high-grade appearance.
TFT delivers a high level of visibility. The screen’s background color is selectable (black or white), and screen brightness adjusts automatically to suit available light.
Display functions include: digital speedometer, digital bar-style tachometer, gear position indicator, shift lamp, fuel gauge, odometer, dual trip meters, current and average fuel consumption, remaining range, average speed, total time, coolant temperature, clock, battery voltage, Kawasaki service reminder, oil change reminder and the Kawasaki Economical Riding Indicator.
Bluetooth chip allows connection to smartphone and RIDEOLOGY THE APP.
Handlebar switches allow the rider to easily scroll through all mode selection and display options at the touch of a finger.
RIDEOLOGY THE APP Smartphone Connectivity (Do not operate smartphone while riding)
A Bluetooth® chip built into the instrument panel enables riders to connect to their motorcycle wirelessly. Using the smartphone application “RIDEOLOGY THE APP,” a number of instrument functions can be accessed, contributing to an enhanced motorcycling experience.
Vehicle Info: information such as fuel level, mileage, maintenance schedule, etc can be viewed via the smartphone.
Riding Log: GPS route information as well as vehicle running information can be logged and viewed via the smartphone.
Telephone notices: when a call or mail is received by the smartphone, it is indicated on the instrument display.
Vehicle Settings: Riding Mode (Road, Sport, Rain, Rider) can be set in advance on the smartphone and uploaded when paired with the bike, as can riding support systems (like KQS) and the payload mode.
General Settings: general instrument display settings (such as preferred units, date, date format, etc) can be adjusted via the smartphone.
Once vehicle information has been downloaded to the app, it can be viewed on the smartphone. Available information includes: mileage, trip A, trip B, fuel level, remaining range, average gas mileage, average speed, max lean angle (right/left), battery voltage, Kawasaki service reminder, oil change reminder, etc.
Detailed riding logs including GPS information and vehicle running information can be recorded. While riding, the app tracks vehicle speed, rpm, gear position, throttle position, front brake fluid pressure, acceleration/deceleration, current mileage, and coolant temperature from moment to moment. Once the riding log has been paired, riders can review these items in a graphic-style display at any point along the route. The app can also display a ride summary, with information that may include: route travelled, total distance, total time, gas mileage (best/average), speed (best/average), max lean angle (right/left), etc. For either display mode, riders can select which items are displayed, and can arrange them in their preferred order.
When riding with the app ON the bike and smartphone are always connected. When the engine is turned off, the latest riding information stored by the app may be viewed on the smartphone.
Any vehicle setting changes made via the app while the engine is off, or while out of range, will be uploaded when the ignition is turned on and the smartphone is in range with the app ON. General settings can only be updated via the app when the bike and smartphone are connected.
Compact 649cc Twin-Cylinder, DOHC Engine
- Tuned to deliver strong, smooth and responsive power, especially in the low-to-mid-range, for rider-friendly power characteristics that facilitate control and inspire confidence over a wide range of riding conditions.
- Camshafts have short operating angle and valve overlap for optimum performance in the low-to-mid-range.
- Optimized intake port shape also helps boost low and mid- range response and performance.
- Slim airbox contributes to low and mid-range power feeling and contributes to the overall slim design of the bike.
- Exhaust system has a short header to boost top-end power while the sleek muffler’s internal construction enhances low-to- mid-range power delivery.
- Muffler is mounted below the engine to help lower the center of gravity and aid weight centralization.
- Kawasaki Air Management System(KP) (KAMS) radiator fan cover helps direct hot engine air down to the ground and away from the rider.
- Compact parallel twin engine helps reduce the dimensions of the entire motorcycle to keep it small and nimble.
- Triangular crank and transmission shaft layout makes the engine very short from front to back, a semi-dry sump(KP) oil system reduces overall engine height, while the narrow pitch of the chrome composite(KP) plated aluminum cylinders helps reduce engine width.
- 180-degree crankshaft plus balancer shaft for extremely smooth engine operation.
- Oil jets in the connecting rod big ends spray oil on the undersides of the pistons to aid cooling.
Digital Fuel Injection(KP)
- 36mm Keihin throttle bodies contribute to the strong low-to-mid-range power and feature dual throttle valves(KP) for optimum performance and rideability. The sub throttles, located behind the main throttle valves, are controlled by the ECU so that the DFI® system has precise throttle response.
- Precise fuel delivery through the fine atomizing injectors plus exhaust catalyzer significantly reduce emissions.
- Automatic fast idle system makes starting and warm-up easy.
Assist & Slipper Clutch
- Using the rotational forces of the clutch hub and pressure plate, the clutch is forced together during acceleration (Assist function) so that fewer and lighter clutch springs can be used for a lighter feel at the lever. During high back-torque, such as when too low of gear is selected, the Slipper function allows some clutch slippage to help prevent engine lock-up and stalling, and rear-wheel hop.
- Cassette-style transmission puts the transmission shafts and shift drum into a compact layout which helps reduce overall engine size.
- Positive Neutral Finder is a Kawasaki exclusive user-friendly feature that allows the rider to easily shift from first gear and only into neutral when the bike is at stop.
- The linkage is placed atop the swingarm and helps make room for the under-engine muffler for better mass centralization.
- Rear shock is further away from the exhaust so that its operation will not be affected by exhaust heat.
- Gull-wing swingarm also allows clearance for the muffler while contributing to light, natural handling.
Triple Petal Design Brake Discs
- Available Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) helps assist braking under certain conditions and features a small Bosch 9.1M control unit to save space and weight.
- Nissin brake calipers have a sporty image and contain front and rear brake specific pads; the front providing strong initial bite and the rear offering optimum control and high overall brake force.
- Front brake calipers have large 27mm pistons for excellent brake feel.
- Petal design offers improved cooling and warp resistance.
Wheels and Tires
- Sporty five-spoke wheel design helps provide a light, nimble appearance.
- Equipped with Dunlop Sportmax D214 tires for excellent performance and better fuel mileage.
- Slightly-forward handlebar position provides sport riding potential.
- Low, forward footpeg placement helps keep the rider’s knees open for increased comfort and ease of operation.
- The fuel tank is positioned relatively low on the chassis and its slim design helps riders to reach the ground and inspire confidence. A resin design fuel cap eliminates the presence of mounting bolts for a more stylish design.
- The seat is slim at the front to further facilitate the rider’s reach to the ground.
- Rubber-mounted handlebar reduces vibration.
- Five-way adjustable brake and clutch levers accommodate a variety of hand sizes for increased comfort.
Distinctive Z Styling
- Sharp front fender design and compact, upswept tail cowl contribute to the dynamic, sporty image.
- LED taillight lights up in a Z shape.
2020 Kawasaki Z650 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $7,249-$7,349 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine 4-stroke, 2-cylinder, DOHC, liquid-cooled
Bore x Stroke 83.0 x 60.0mm
Compression Ratio 10.8:1
Maximum Torque 48.5 lb-ft @ 6,500 rpm
Fuel System DFI® with Keihin 36mm throttle bodies
Ignition TCBI with electronic advance
Transmission 6-speed, return shift
Final Drive Sealed chain
Front Suspension / Wheel Travel Telescopic fork/4.9 in
Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel Horizontal back-link with adjustable preload, swingarm/5.1 in
Front Tire 120/70 ZR17
Rear Tire 160/60 ZR17
Front Brakes Dual 300mm petal-style discs with two-piston calipers
Rear Brakes Single 220mm petal-style disc
Frame Type Trellis, high tensile steel
Rake/Trail 24.0°/3.9 in
Overall Length 81.3 in
Overall Width 30.1 in.
Overall Height 41.9 in
Ground Clearance 5.1 in
Seat Height 31.1 in
Curb Weight 412.3 lb**
Fuel Capacity 4.0 gal
Wheelbase 55.5 in
Special Features Rideology the App Smartphone Connectivity, TFT Instrumentation
Color Choices *Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Flat Spark Black *Metallic Spark Black
Warranty 12 Month Limited Warranty
Kawasaki Protection Plus™ (optional) 12, 24, 26 or 48 months
**Curb weight includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90 percent capacity) and tool kit (if supplied). When equipped, California evaporative
emissions equipment adds approximately 2.2 lb.
2020 Kawasaki Z650 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
2020 Kawasaki Z650 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).