TURN UP YOUR EXPERIENCE.
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900GT:
The most versatile touring partner with class‑leading long distance features like integrated side bags, cruise control and heated grips.
For the Tracer 900 GT, Yamaha took the revised Tracer 900 sport touring platform (formerly FJ-09) and created a premium version for riders who want high specification as standard. Equipped with hard luggage, fully adjustable suspension and heated grips, the Tracer 900 GT is ready to take you anywhere.
A full-colour TFT instrument screen, quickshifter, assist & slipper clutch, D-modes, traction control, cruise control and ABS are all standard on the Tracer 900 GT, providing a level of sophistication befitting the most demanding riders.
The Tracer 900 GT utilizes a torquey and powerful 847 cc “CP3” (Crossplane Concept) engine that offers usable low-end torque and enough power to satisfy the most experienced sport rider. A Tracer-specific Yamaha D-Mode system allows the rider to adjust power delivery based on conditions and preferences.
With sport-minded performance and relaxed ergonomics, the Tracer 900 can tackle the twisties, the open road or the daily commute with poise. Road trips are calling thanks to standard hard bags, cruise control and an adjustable windscreen, while fully adjustable suspension and a powerful three-cylinder engine make carving the back roads a thrill.
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900GT Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- 847 cc, inline three-cylinder “CP3” engine with lots of torque and character
- Full-colour TFT instrument screen
- Quickshifter for seamless upshifts
- Assist and slipper clutch
- Standard colour matched side cases
- Heated Grips
- Cruise Control
- Fully adjustable front forks
- Remote rear shock preload adjuster
- Standard ABS
- 18-litre fuel tank
- Convenient centre stand
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900GT Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Slim, compact, 847 cc, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid-cooled inline-three cylinder engine. The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low and mid-range torque with strong yet linear throttle response.
- engine meets or exceeds strict EU-4 regulations
- 4-valve, downdraft-style combustion chamber maximizes flow into and out of combustion chamber
- 31 mm intake and 25 mm exhaust valves
- stainless steel valves feature an Isonite surface treatment and carburized tips for excellent durability and wear resistance
- valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 km
- 120-degree crankshaft with “even” 240-degree firing order.
- design reduces inertial torque while emphasizing linear torque in response to the rider’s throttle action
- design has been optimized to achieve strong torque over a broad rpm range
- fast, linear throttle response
- engine design allows a whole new level of rider/machine communication
- Valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 kms.
- Lightweight “coupling force balancer” reduces engine vibration.
- Fracture-split connecting rods feature a nutless design.
- lower end “cap” of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; the 2 pieces are “split” apart using a special fracturing process and then machinedusing a special fracturing process and then machined
- design aids in establishing true big end roundness and greater precision in con rod dimensions for excellent durability despite the high horsepower loads
- Lightweight, forged, aluminum short skirt pistons.
- design aids in fast engine response
- reduces mechanical vibration
- excellent durability
- Direct ceramic composite-plated cylinder uses liner-less bores.
- ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner and reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder and piston, reducing friction and increasing power
- Offset cylinder design
- cylinder is “offset” relative to the crank (toward exhaust side)
- reduces frictional losses between the pistons and cylinder wall during the power stroke for improved power output
- One-piece cylinder and upper crankcase assembly
- superior engine and chassis rigidity (engine is a stressed member)
- reduces weight
- Lightweight hollow camshafts.
- cam profiles are designed for excellent torque in the low-and mid-rpm range
- Crankcases feature a “Tri-Axis” layout for the crank, main and drive axles.
- creates a more compact and shorter engine front to back
- shorter engine allows for optimum engine placement in the “sweet spot” of frame for desired weight distribution and great handling
- Closed-loop 41 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system.
- system uses throttle position sensor (TPS) and acceleration position sensor (APS)
- injectors feature 12 holes and 20-degree spray pattern
- injectors spray fuel directly at the intake valve
- “closed-loop” system uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust and automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- fuel injection benefits include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy and reduced emissions
- Yamaha Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T).
- YCC-T electronically controls throttle valves for outstanding throttle response and controllability
- YCC-T system provides precise control of intake air volume for a smoother torque curve
- ECU that controls YCC-T is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1/1000th of a second
- Yamaha D-Mode (3 modes available)
- enables the rider to adjust the performance characteristics of the engine based on riding preferences or riding conditions
- standard mode emphasizes very linear throttle and torque feel of the engine
- A mode allows the rider to enjoy even sportier engine performance in the low-to-mid rpms
- B mode softens throttle response for riding situations that require softer power characteristics, such as slippery or wet conditions
- D-mode button is conveniently located on the right handle bar switch gear
- Traction control system with (2 modes plus off).
- mode 1 provides mid-level intervention (allows some wheel spin)
- mode 2 provides maximum intervention (no wheel spin)
- works in conjunction with the YCC-T system (utilizing same wheel sensors as ABS system)
- system senses when the rear wheel begins to spin and modifies the YCC-T function, ignition timing and fuel injection volume to reduce power and eliminate wheel spin
- status indicator / warning light in meter assembly
- Cruise control
- Operates in 4th through 6th gears and between 50 km/h and 160 km/h
- Electronic control unit (ECU) utilizes a powerful 32-bit processor for fast control of the injection, engine management and ignition processes.
- Air box features dual resonator chambers and unequal internal intake funnel lengths for all 3 cylinders.
- benefit is a wide torque curve and exciting intake sound that accentuates the exhaust note
- viscous paper-type air filter is used
- Compact 6-speed transmission.
- gear ratios are optimized to accentuate the torque and throttle response of the engine
- Compact, slipper(back-limiter) clutch with assist.
- slipper clutch reduces the negative effects of engine braking on handling and suspension
- reduces rear wheel hop/ chatter when decelerating for improved riding performance and smoother corner entries
- assist function reduces clutch lever effort by up to 20%
- Quick Shift System (QSS)
- Quickshifter allows for smooth, clutchless upshifts
- System operates at 20 km/h and above at 2,300 rpm or higher, and only when accelerating
- Stylish, compact, low mounted, 3-into-1 exhaust system
- stainless steel header pipes with special “Nano-film” coating
- triple-expansion-type muffler is a triple expansion type with a 3-way honeycomb catalyzer to reduce emissions
- low mounted design centralizes mass for excellent handling and light weight feeling
- Flat-design radiator provides maximum cooling efficiency.
- protector plate on lower edge of rad prevents small stones from hitting the rad and cooling fan
- Liquid-cooled oil cooler maintains stable lubricant temperatures for extended engine life.
- Convenient spin-on type oil filter and easy access drain plug for fast oil changes.
- Convenient oil level sight glass.
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- Air Injection System (AIS-not ram air) injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions.
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- CF (controlled filling) die-cast, twin-spar, diamond-type, aluminum frame.
- provides an optimized rigidity balance for incredible sports performance and excellent stability
- engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame
- light, agile handling qualities
- The riding position is one of the most important features of the Tracer 900 GT chassis.
- upright seating position offers a balance between sports handling and excellent rider comfort
- Key chassis geometry figures include:
- 1,500 mm (59.1 in) wheelbase, 25 degrees of rake and 103 mm of trail
- front to rear weight distribution is 51 / 49%
- lean angle is 51 degrees, highlighting the sporty nature of the Tracer 900
- chassis dimensions and shape are designed to enhance the qualities of the 3 cylinder engine, to centralize mass and lower the centre of gravity
- Detachable, round tube steel rear sub frame.
- designed to withstand the extra load and forces applied during casual touring
- sub frame provides mounting points for Genuine Yamaha accessory hard saddlebags
- allows easier access to rear suspension components
- reduces costs in the event of damage
- Externally-mounted, CF(controlled filling) die-cast aluminum, truss-type rear swingarm.
- Swingarm (compared to FJ-09) is 60 mm longer to deliver improved cornering and traction (drive) characteristics
- external design means the swing arm mounts on the outside of the frame spars rahter than the inside
- external design keeps unit narrower in the seat – fuel tank junction which influences seat height and makes it easier to touch the ground
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction and control
- Fully adjustable, 41 mm inverted cartridge-style fork offers 137mm (5.4 in.) of wheel travel.
- compression damping, spring preload and rebound damping are all adjustable
- adjustments include; 6 steps of spring preload (15mm range) and 11-way rebound damping
- inverted design benefits include, reduced “unsprung” weight and reduced fork flex since the larger diameter tubes are gripped in the triple clamps
- adjustable design allows the rider to tailor suspension settings to match rider weight, road conditions and load to maximize handling and suspension performance
- Lightweight, aluminum upper and lower triple clamps.
- Adjustable KYB link Monocross rear suspension with 130 mm (5.1 in.) of wheel travel.
- rear shock adjustable for rebound damping and spring preload
- Spring preload can be adjusted via remote adjuster
- ABS-equipped, dual 298 mm floating front discs squeezed by radial-mount, mono-block, 4-piston Advic calipers.
- radial-mount design helps to reduce caliper distortion for improved braking performance
- master cylinder uses a 16 mm piston
- excellent stopping power and control with good lever feedback
- ABS helps prevent wheel lockup during hard braking or slippery conditions
- ABS-equipped, 245 mm rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight single-piston, slide-type Nissin caliper.
- ABS (anti-lock braking system)
- features a linear controlled 3- position system that helps to prevent wheel lock up
- controlling ECU and hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic pressure to the point just before the wheel(s) lock-up
- ABS benefits include; excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
- design reduces weight and centralizes mass
- 22-litre hard saddlebags.
- Standard, colour-matched side cases are light and quickly detachable
- Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke wheels.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension and handling characteristics
- Heated hand grips
- Heat level adjustable via left-side switchgear
- Heat level displayed on instrument screen
- Adjustable, tapered aluminum handlebar.
- handlebar can be adjusted 10 mm by turning the eccentric handlebar holders
- lightweight design with excellent strength
- design results in a comfortable, upright riding position for all-day riding comfort
- handlebar holders feature special threads for accessory installations (GPS. etc.)
- Stylish, hand guards.
- compact yet tough and rigid
- offer good wind protection
- offer some unit protection in the event the bike tips over
- 18-litre steel fuel tank.
- slim design with great knee grip
- steel allows use of magnetic-style tank bags
- reserve portion of the tank is 2.6 litres (low fuel light illuminates)
- internal electric fuel pump
- Separate rider and passenger seats.
- both seats redesigned in 2018 model year for better long-distance riding comfort
- design offers a high-quality look
- rider seat offers two height positions — 845 mm (33.3 in.) in low, (33.9 in.) in high
- Passenger grab rails offer comfort and robustness for extra peace of mind.
- Thin Film Transistor (TFT) LCD instrument display
- full-colour display screen ensures good visibility in varying conditions
- Design enhances the up-spec vibe of GT model
- Design sourced from R1
- all functions are controlled by buttons on the left switchgear
- full range of warning and indicator lights
- Handy 12-volt DC outlet located beside meter assembly.
- Front fairing offers a more high-quality appearance with good wind protection.
- Hand-operated adjustable windshield features 37 mm (1.5 in.) of adjustment.
- Eye catching LED headlights and LED position lights.
- offer excellent illumination and visibility
- easy-access headlight adjusters for changing load conditions
- Centre stand (note: centre stand will not retro fit to the FZ-09).
- Standard stand for convenient maintenance
- Brilliant LED rear tail light with unique running / brake light display.
- Lightweight forged aluminum footrests, shifter and rear brake pedal
- Excessive lean angle engine cut-out switch (if unit is on its side the engine will shut down)
- Lockable steering
- Durable O-ring drive chain
- Low-maintenance sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
- Yamaha diagnostic tool connector
NOTE: The Tracer 900 GT offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900GT – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $12999 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $14599 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 847cc liquid-cooled, DOHC, inline 3-cylinder; 12
Bore x Stroke 78.0mm x 59.1mm
Compression Ratio 11.5:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel injection with YCC-T
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition Transmission 6-speed; multiplate assist and slipper clutch Final Drive O-ring chain
Suspension / Front 41mm inverted fork, fully adjustable; 5.4-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock, adjustable preload (w/remote
adjuster) and rebound damping; 5.6-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual 298mm hydraulic disc; ABS
Brakes / Rear 245mm hydraulic disc; ABS
Tires / Front 120/70ZR17
Tires / Rear 180/55ZR17
L x W x H 85.0 in x 33.5 in x 54.1 in – 56.3 in
Seat Height 33.5 in or 34.1 in
Wheelbase 59.1 in Rake (Caster Angle) 24.0° Trail 3.9 in
Maximum Ground 5.3 in
Fuel Capacity 4.8 gal
Fuel Economy TBD
Wet Weight 474 lb* (*does not include side cases)
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Matte Raven Black/Reddish Copper
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900GT – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 12-valves (4 valves/cyl.), inline three-cylinder|
|Bore and Stroke|
|78 x 59.1 mm|
|8.9 kg-m (64.3 ft-lbs.) @ 8,500 rpm|
|YCC-T, D-Mode (3 settings), traction control /cruise control|
|Mikuni 41 mm throttle body F.I.|
|Estimated Fuel Consumption±|
|18.6 kpl / 52.5 mpg (Imp.)|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|Fully adjustable 41 mm KYB inverted fork / 137 mm (5.4 in.) wheel travel|
|Adjustable link KYB / 142 mm (5.6 in.) wheel travel|
|Dual 298 mm discs / radial mount 4-piston calipers / ABS equipped|
|245 mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped|
|2,160 mm (85″)|
|850 mm (33.4″)|
|1,375 to 1,430 mm (54.1 to 56.3 in.)|
|1,500 mm (59.1 in.)|
|Rake / Trail|
|24° / 100 mm|
|135 mm (5.3 in.)|
|850 or 865 mm (33.4 or 35 in.)|
|18 litres (4 imp. gallons)|
|227 kg (500 lb.) including cases and brackets|
Matte Phantom Blue
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900GT – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).