2020 Yamaha XSR700:
Modern classic styling and crossplane concept twin for fun performance all built to be uniquely customized.
Based on the popular MT-07, the XSR700 is a beautiful blend of twin cylinder performance and eye catching “authentic sports” styling. The XSR incorporates most of the MT-07’s key features including ABS equipped brakes. A natural riding position offers solid riding comfort while the short swingarm and lightweight design highlights the more serious sports side of the XSR. Tasty, timeless styling combined with plenty of Yamaha’s latest technologies, the XSR is guaranteed to provide a fun, exciting ride.
Liquid-cooled, 689cc in-line twin cylinder fuel-injected engine with a downdraft intake. The engine has been tuned to provide solid low to mid-range torque with linear throttle response.
You won’t find a lot of plastic parts on the XSR700. The “authentic sports” styling highlights Yamaha’s long racing heritage, but don’t be fooled, there is plenty of cutting edge technology under the aluminum shrouded fuel tank.
Multifunction, digital instrument displays all the info discerning sport riders demand. From a bar style tach to gear position indicator, to instant & average fuel economy, this classic round design liquid crystal instrument adds function and style.
2020 Yamaha XSR700 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- 689 cc, DOHC, 4-valve / cylinder, liquid-cooled, inline-twin powerplant
- Offset, ceramic composite plated cylinder with lightweight forged pistons
- CP2 crankshaft design with high tech “fracture split” connecting rods
- Compact 6 speed transmission with overdrive 6th gear
- Tapered handlebar
- Low 835 mm (32.9″) seat height
- ABS brakes
- Neo-retro “authentic sports” body design
2020 Yamaha XSR700 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Slim, compact, 689cc, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid-cooled, 20 degree inclined, inline twin cylinder engine.
- 4-valve, downdraft style combustion chamber with 11.5:1 compression ratio.
- excellent torque output… especially in the low to mid rpm range
- 4-valve design maximizes flow into & out of combustion chamber
- 31.5 mm intake & 26.5 mm exhaust valves
- stainless steel valves feature an Isonite surface treatment & carburized tips for excellent durability & wear resistance
- Valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 kms.
- Lightweight hollow camshafts.
- cam profiles are designed to accentuate low to mid-range torque & power in the most commonly used rpm range (3,000 to 6,500 rpm).
- excellent “ride-ability”
- 270 degree “CrossPlane Concept” crankshaft with an “uneven” firing order provides a strong feeling of acceleration & great traction.
- design reduces inertia torque while emphasizing linear torque
- design has been optimized to achieve strong torque over a broad rpm range
- CP Concept offers “ride ability that allows the rider to control the machine at will.”
- engine design allows a whole new level of “rider – machine communication”
- Lightweight gear driven “coupling force balancer” reduces engine vibration for excellent comfort.
- High tech, “fracture split” connecting rods feature a “nut less” design.
- lower end “cap” of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; the 2 pieces are “split” apart using a special fracturing process & then machined
- design aids in establishing true big end roundness & greater precision in con rod dimensions for excellent durability despite the high horsepower loads
- design aids in fast engine response & reduces mechanical vibration
- excellent durability
- Direct ceramic composite plated cylinder uses “liner less” bores.
- ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- Offset cylinder design.
- cylinder is “offset” relative to the crank (toward exhaust side)
- reduces frictional losses between the pistons & cylinder wall during the power stroke for improved power output & excellent fuel economy
- One-piece cylinder and upper crankcase assembly.
- superior engine & chassis rigidity (engine is a stressed member)
- reduces weight
- engine is a stressed member for increased chassis rigidity
- “Closed loop” 38 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system.
- system uses throttle position sensor (TPS) & idle speed controller (ISC)
- 12 hole injectors for optimum fuel atomization
- system is “tuned” to provide excellent “ride ability” & “linear” throttle control.
- “closed loop system” uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- fuel injection benefits include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions
- Compact Electronic Control Unit (ECU).
- utilizes a powerful 32-bit processor for fast control of the injection & ignition processes
- compact design reduces weight.
- Air box design features dual intakes.
- reduces intake noise
- viscous paper type air filter is utilized
- Compact, 6-speed transmission.
- Tri-axis design “stacks” input/output shafts centralizing mass
- overall engine size is shorter front to back allowing the engineers the freedom to place the engine in the frame for optimum front to rear weight balance
- transmission ratios are designed to suit the character (torque & power) of the engine
- specially chosen gear ratios means fewer gear changes
- 6th gear is an over drive gear reducing engine rpms at highway speeds for a comfortable ride
- Compact, clutch design with light clutch lever pull.
- Stylish, compact, low mounted, 2 into 1 exhaust system.
- triple expansion muffler design with 3-way honeycomb catalyzer reduces exhaust emissions
- low mounted design centralizes mass for excellent handling & a light weight feeling
- Lightweight, vertical flow flat radiator with ring type cooling fan.
- ring type cooling fan pulls more air than a normal non-ring type fan
- stylish aluminum rad covers & protective mess front grill are standard
- Liquid-cooled oil cooler maintains stable lubricant temperatures for extended engine life.
- Convenient spin-on type oil filter & easy access drain plug for fast, easy oil changes.
- Convenient oil level sight glass.
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- High performance direct ignition coils (ignition coil is built into the spark plug caps).
- reduces weight & complexity
- AC Magneto produces 410 watts of power @ 5,000rpm.
- Air Injection System (AIS… not ram air) injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions.
The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low & mid-range torque with very linear throttle response. This engine has an incredible reliability record and is designed to maximize riding fun in the real world.
- Diamond-type, high tensile steel backbone type frame.
- optimized rigidity balance for light, agile handling & excellent stability
- engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame
- compact wheelbase & light weight chassis design provide a responsive & engaging ride
- Upright, comfortable riding position is a key feature of the XSR700.
- excellent rider comfort
- Key chassis geometry figures include:
- 1405mm (55.3″) wheelbase
- 25 degrees of rake & 90mm of trail
- chassis dimensions & design centralizes mass & lowers centre of gravity for light, agile handling
- Short design, high tensile steel “gull wing” style swingarm.
- 530 mm short design swingarm enhances the connection between rider & machine
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- 41mm conventional style fork.
- 130 mm (5.1″) of wheel travel
- Lightweight, aluminum upper and lower triple clamps.
- Adjustable link-type Monocross rear suspension.
- 130 mm (5.1″) of wheel travel
- horizontally mounted rear shock can be adjusted for spring pre-load
- adjustment allows the rider to tailor pre-load settings to match rider weight or load
- ABS equipped dual 282mm floating wave-style front discs & ultra-rigid 4-piston monoblock calipers.
- excellent stopping power & control with good lever feedback
- ABS equipped 245mm wave-style rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight single piston slide-type Nissin caliper.
- Anti-lock braking system front & rear (ABS).
- controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic braking pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up
- ABS benefits include; excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
- Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke wheels.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension & handling characteristics
- front rim size is MT3.50-17 fitted with a 120/70R17 tubeless tire
- rear rim size is MT5.50-17 fitted with a 180/55R17 tubeless tire
- Conventional, tapered handlebar.
- lightweight & strong
- offers a comfortable, upright riding position for excellent riding comfort
- traditional design allows easy replacement to a different “bend” if desired
- 14-litre fuel tank with replaceable aluminum tank covers.
- slim design with great knee grip
- slim design combines with low seat height for a light, agile feel & increased rider confidence
- reserve portion of the tank is 2.7 litres (low fuel light illuminates)
- steel tank is covered by three easy to replace aluminum panels, significantly reducing costs in the event of damage
- Stylish, textured 1 piece rider & passenger seat. Rider seat height is 835 mm (32.9″).
- offer excellent comfort
- narrow design rider seat makes it easier to touch feet flat on the ground
- Traditional / retro round design, liquid crystal digital meter.
- functions (all digital) include bar-style tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter (counts kilometres since fuel went on reserve), clock, gear indicator, instant & average fuel consumption, ECO indicator & more
- full range of warning & indicator lights
- background illumination is adjustable
- Compact handlebar switch gear.
- starting function is integrated into the engine kill switch
- passing flash button is provided
- Neo-retro style 60/55 watt halogen headlight with retro style aluminum headlight brackets / stays.
- highlights the XSR700’s “neo-retro authentic sports styling”
- Vintage style 19 LED rear tail light.
- Neo-retro “authentic sports” body design.
- front fender with aluminum stays, aluminum side covers & rear fender highlight the XSR’s retro styling roots
- lightweight aluminum footrest mounting brackets & heel guards
- 5-position adjustable front brake lever
- fold out under seat bungee cord fastener straps
- brilliant LED rear tail light with unique running / brake light display
- lockable steering
- durable “O” ring drive chain
- 1 piece chain guard & inner rear fender
- excessive lean angle engine kill switch (if unit is on its side the engine will shut down)
- low-maintenance sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
- Yamaha diagnostic tool connector can significantly reduce diagnostic time in the event of a problem
2020 Yamaha XSR700 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $9499 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $11199 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 689cc liquid-cooled DOHC inline twin cylinder; 8
Bore x Stroke 80.0mm x 68.6mm
Compression Ratio 11.5:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel injection
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition Transmission Constant mesh 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front 41mm telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel Suspension / Rear Single shock, adjustable preload; 5.1-in travel Brakes / Front Dual hydraulic disc, 282mm; ABS
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 245mm; ABS
Tires / Front 120/70ZR17 Pirelli® Phantom Sportcomp
Tires / Rear 180/55ZR17 Pirelli® Phantom Sportcomp
L x W x H 81.7 in x 32.3 in x 44.5 in
Seat Height 32.9 in
Wheelbase 55.3 in Rake (Caster Angle) 25.0° Trail 3.5 in
Maximum Ground 5.5 in
Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
Fuel Economy** 58 mpg
Wet Weight*** 410 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Radical White/Rapid Red
2020 Yamaha XSR700 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valves (4-valves/cylinder), inline twin cylinder|
|Bore and Stroke|
|80 x 68.6 mm|
|6.9 kg-m (50 ft-lbs.) @ 6,500 rpm|
|Mikuni 38 mm dual bore throttle body F.I.|
|Estimated Fuel Consumption±|
|24.5 kpl / 69.2 mpg (Imp.)|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|41 mm fork / 130mm (5.1″) wheel travel|
|Adjustable link Monocross / 130 mm (5.1″) wheel travel|
|Dual 282 mm discs / 4-piston calipers / ABS equipped|
|245 mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped|
|820 mm (32.3″)|
|1,130 mm (44.5″)|
|1,405 mm (55.3″)|
|Rake / Trail|
|25° / 90 mm|
|140 mm (5.5″)|
|835 mm (32.9″)|
|14 litres (3.1 imp. gallons)|
|186 kg (410 lb.)|
2020 Yamaha XSR700 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).