2005 Kawasaski KLR250
Back to 2005 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
– 2005 Kawasaki KLR250
An experienced off-road motorcyclist knows the advantages of a good dual-purpose motorcycle: the lightweight chassis makes it easy to ride, the upright seating position is comfortable and perfect for scanning the horizon, and it’s inexpensive to own and operate. Best of all, a dual-purpose bike gives the rider the ability to simply ride from the garage to explore quiet dirt roads and out-of-the-way places, which is why the Kawasaki KLR250 is so much fun.
The KLR250 is powered by a four-stroke, single-cylinder liquid-cooled engine with dual overhead cams operating four valves for superior performance. Double engine counterbalancers keep the powerplant running smooth from idle to redline, and an automatic cam chain tensioner helps maintain more precise cam timing without maintenance.
The frame for the KLR250 is made of the same high-tech, high-tensile steel used in Kawasaki’s world-class KX motocross machines. A detachable, lightweight aluminum rear subframe simplifies maintenance by providing access to the airbox, carburetor and rear shock.
The KLR250 features an air adjustable front fork and Kawasaki’s UNI-TRAK® rear suspension, providing more than nine inches of travel at both ends to smooth the ride. The latter features adjustable spring preload and rebound damping. Helping to maintain good traction on pavement or dirt roads, the KLR250’s wheels are shod with universal tires, while a single front disc brake and rear drum brake help to ensure smooth, powerful stops.
Features & Benefits
249cc Four-stroke Single Cylinder Engine
– Silent cam chain runs quietly and reliably, while automatic cam chain tensioner maintains more precise cam timing without maintenance
– Oil-level window provided for easy and accurate inspection
– Six-speed transmission
– Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
– Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running and more power
– Automatic fan keeps things cool even in traffic
– Includes a temperature gauge
Four Valve Cylinder Head
– Boosts low-end torque and provides better breathing for more power at high rpm
– Compact combustion chamber for increased compression ratio without detonation on today’s gasolines
– Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
Double Engine Balancers
– Engine runs smoothly from idle to redline for rider comfort and less fatigue
Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR)
– KACR helps to ensure quick, easy starts
Capacitor Discharge Ignition with Electronic Advance
– Precisely controls timing no matter how fast the rpm changes
– Fewer moving parts for long, trouble-free life
Semi-flat Slide CVK Carburetor
– Precisely meters fuel for good fuel economy
– Provides quick throttle response
– Handlebar-mounted choke makes starting and warm-up easier
– Designed to provide a smooth ride on and off the road
– Provide good traction on and off the road
Semi-double Cradle Frame
– Made with same high-tech, round-section high-tensile steel as the world-class KX motocross bikes
Aluminum Skid Plate
– Protects engine against rocks and trail debris when the going gets tough
Detachable Aluminum Rear Subframe
– Helps keep weight to a minimum and simplifies maintenance by providing better access to the rear shock, airbox and carburetor
Bottom-link UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
– Lowers the center of gravity for better handling
– Progressive rate provides a smoother, more controlled ride
– Features adjustable preload shock absorber with four-way rebound damping
Lighting and USFS-Approved Spark Arrestor
– Street-legal lighting with turn signals
– U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
– Ignition switch incorporates steering lock
Rear Fender Tool Pouch
– Extra space for riding accessories
Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single
Bore x stroke: 74.0 x 58.0mm
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK34
Frame: Semi-double-cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake / trail: 28.5° / 4.6 in.
Suspension type, front: 36mm leading-axle fork
Suspension adjustments, front: Air-adjustable hydraulic telescopic fork
Suspension type, rear: UNI-TRAK® single-shock system
Suspension adjustments, rear: Adjustable preload with four-way rebound damping
Wheel travel, front: 9.1 in.
Wheel travel, rear: 9.1 in.
Tire, front: 3.00 x 21
Tire, rear: 4.60 x 17
Brakes, front / rear: Hydraulic disc / Drum
Overall length: 84.3 in.
Overall width: 33.7 in.
Overall height: 47.6 in.
Ground clearance: 10.6 in.
Seat height: 33.7 in.
Dry weight: 258 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 2.9 gal.
Wheelbase: 55.7 in.
Color: Aztec Red