2005 Kawasaski Vulcan 500 LTD
Back to 2005 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
– 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD
498cc parallel-twin, based on the same engine that powers the NINJA® 500R sportbike. Liquid cooling helps this cruiser maintain consistent operating temperatures for longer engine life and sustained power. The engine has also been tuned to deliver power as suited to boulevard cruising as it is to more spirited riding. The six-speed transmission, complete with Kawasaki’s exclusive Positive Neutral Finder, allows riders to use the engine to its full potential.
Equally user-friendly is the chassis, the backbone of which is a long, low steel frame that contributes to the 500 LTD’s classic cruiser looks. Providing support for a saddle that’s just 28 inches from the ground, it puts just about any size rider at ease.
As for style, the Vulcan 500 LTD’s nod to the custom crowd includes a stepped seat, bobbed rear fender, tank-mounted speedometer and chrome-plated wire-spoke wheels. Admire it as is, or select enhancements from Kawasaki’s Fire & Steel™ accessory line.
Features & Benefits
Twin-cylinder 498cc Engine
– Compact parallel-twin design based on the NINJA® 500 sportbike engine
– Special cam profiles and ample flywheel weight boost low-end torque
– Keeps operating temperatures consistent, resulting in longer engine life
– Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running
– Radiator hides between the frame downtubes
Four Valves per Cylinder
– Better breathing for more power at high rpm
– Compact combustion chamber for less detonation on today’s gasolines
– Boosts low-end torque
– Microprocessor-controlled timing ultra-responsive to engine needs
– Waterproof wiring connectors help prevent corrosion
Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner
– Maintains precise timing without maintenance
– Cam chain runs quietly, reliably
– Assures greater reliability
– Engine vibration is reduced for a super-smooth ride
– High second and third gears allow more relaxed cruising
– Allows engine’s full potential to be utilized
Positive Neutral Finder
– Just lift the shift pedal from first at a stop to easily find neutral
– A Kawasaki exclusive
32mm CVK Semi-flat Slide Carburetors
– Quick throttle response
– Precise fuel metering provides uniform power delivery at all engine speeds
– Convenient location makes starting and warm-up easier
– Designed to boost low and mid-range power
– Tuned pipes enhance low-speed pulling power
Single Disc Front Brake
– Single piston pin-slide caliper produces quick, sure stops
– Disc is drilled for better cooling and reduces unsprung weight
Tank-mounted Speedometer with Turn Signal Indicators and Caution Lamps
– Gives needed information at a glance
– Compact design complements the bike’s clean look
– Laid-back riding comfort for two
Chrome-plated Wire Spoke Wheels
– Narrow 100/90-19 front tire with a beefy 140/90-15 rear tire complement the LTD’s traditional cruiser styling
– Efficient power to rear wheel
– O-rings keep lube in, dirt out for longer chain life
Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, 8-valve parallel twin
Bore x stroke: 74.0 x 58.0mm
Compression ratio: 10.2:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK32 x 2
Ignition: Digital TCBI
Final drive: Chain
Frame: Double cradle, steel
Rake / trail: 33° / 5.9 in.
Suspension type, front: 41mm hydraulic fork
Suspension type, rear: Dual hydraulic shocks
Suspension adjustments, rear: 5-way adjustable spring preload
Wheel travel, front: 5.9 in
Wheel travel, rear: 3.9 in.
Tire, front: 100/90 x 19
Tire, rear: 140/90 x 15
Brakes, front / rear: Hydraulic disc / Mechanical drum
Overall length: 91.3 in.
Overall width: 32.7 in.
Overall height: 44.3 in
Ground clearance: 4.7 in.
Seat height: 28.1 in.
Dry weight: 439 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 4.0 gal.
Wheelbase: 62.8 in.
Color: Metallic Sonic Blue