Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2014 Yamaha Fazer 8 Review
2014 Yamaha Fazer 8 on Totalmotorcycle.com
Conquer the road…
The Fazer 8 is designed for riders who appreciate an optimum blend of power, weight, and size and of course comfort too. It fills the gap between the 600cc and 1000cc classes perfectly. Its 779cc engine offers a plenty of mid-range torque while the lightweight chassis and adjustable suspension provide outstanding cornering performance. The Fazer 8 is a mid class sport bike that excels in delivering fun and comfort each and every time you swing a leg over the seat.
2014 Yamaha Fazer 8 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
779cc, DOHC, 16 valve (4-valves/cyl), liquid-cooled, 40 degree inclined, inline-four cylinder engine. The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low to mid range torque with strong yet linear throttle response. Redline is set at 11,500 rpm and features a “soft” rev limiter to protect the engine.
/// Riding Style
The riding position is one of the most important features of the Fazer 8. Based on the FZ1 layout, it offers a balance between a sporty riding position and excellent rider comfort.
2014 Yamaha Fazer 8 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
•779cc, DOHC, 16 valve (4-valves/cyl), liquid-cooled, 40 degree inclined, inline-four cylinder engine. The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low to mid range torque with strong yet linear throttle response. Redline is set at 11,500 rpm and features a “soft” rev limiter to protect the engine.
•Compact “Pent roof” combustion chamber design features 4-valves per cylinder and a 12:1 compression ratio for excellent torque feeling. Four valves per cylinder enhances the low to midrange torque.
•Intake valves are 26mm in diameter while the exhaust valves are 22mm.
• Crankshaft inertial mass has been optimized to achieve strong torque over a broad rpm range as well as fast throttle response.
•”Fracture split” connecting rods are carburized for extra strength and use a nut less design. The lower end “cap” of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; this design is known as “fracture splitting”. This design aids in establishing true big end roundness and greater precision in con rod dimensions for excellent durability despite the high horsepower loads.
• Inline-four cylinder crankshaft is based on the FZ1 design.
•Ceramic composite cylinder “bores” are a “liner less” design with the ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block. This coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder and piston which reduces friction and increases power. Other important benefits include; excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced weight since there are no heavy liners.
• Short skirt, lightweight forged pistons. Lightweight design aids in fast engine response and reduced engine weight. During the forging process, the aluminum is heated to the point where it can be shaped under pressure in a die but not to the point that it melts. By not melting the aluminum, the material stays stronger and hence can be lighter with excellent durability.
•Lightweight, hollow intake and exhaust camshafts provide incredible horsepower and fast engine response. Cam profiles and the cam timing are designed to enhance low to midrange power and torque.
•Automatic hydraulic cam chain tensioner reduces both maintenance and mechanical engine noise.
•Mikuni “sub throttle valve” fuel injection system is based on the FZ1 design, featuring 35mm throttle bodies fitted with T.P.S. (Throttle Position Sensor). This style of fuel injection uses sub throttle valves in addition to the main valves to further control the intake airflow. The sub valves optimize the intake volumetric efficiency at all rpms and are powered by a stepping motor that is controlled by the ECU. The key benefit is excellent “ride ability” and throttle response.
• This is a closed loop fuel injection system, with an oxygen sensor that monitors the amount of oxygen in the spent exhaust gases and adjusts the fuel -air mixture via the ECU and FI system for maximum performance with minimum emissions. The benefits of fuel injection include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy, and reduced emissions. The oxygen sensor is located before the muffler, so the use of slip-on mufflers will not affect this system.
•The injectors are sequential high dynamic range type featuring 4 holes and a dual directional spray pattern for excellent power and a linear throttle response across the entire rev range.
• The fuel injection’s lightweight Electronic Control Unit (ECU) utilizes a powerful 32-bit processor for fast control of the injection process. The compact design also reduces weight.
• Specially designed 7.8 litre air box features different intake funnel lengths for the inner (150mm) and outer (125mm) cylinders. The benefit is a wide torque curve. A high flow paper type air filter is utilized.
•R1 inspired “stacked” 3-axis gearbox / clutch design stacks input/output shafts to centralize mass and keeps overall engine size shorter front to back. As a result, the stacked design gives the engineers the freedom to place the engine in the “sweet spot” of the frame for optimum front to rear weight balance and thereby maximizing handling performance.
•Smooth shifting wide ratio 6-speed transmission features optimized gear ratios for maximum performance in the “real world”.
•Compact, heavy duty, multi-plate clutch ensures consistent, positive engagement. The clutch has been designed to provide a light lever pull for excellent rider comfort … especially during stop and go city use.
•4 into 2 into 1 exhaust system features 35mm diameter, stainless steel header pipes. The header pipe length has been optimized for maximum power and torque. The stylish muffler is fitted with a 3-way honeycomb catalyzer to reduce harmful CO and HC exhaust emissions.
•High-efficiency “curved” design radiator features compact dual ring-type fans for maximum cooling efficiency. This rad and fan design allows more airflow than conventional flat design rads to maintain optimum engine temperatures for consistent power output.
• Large liquid-cooled oil cooler maintains stable lubricant temperatures for extended engine life.
• Convenient easy access spin-on type oil filter.
• Maintenance-free transistor-controlled digital ignition (TCI) ensures fast starts and great performance at all rpms.
•Air Induction System (AIS … not ram air) reduces harmful HC and CO emissions for a cleaner environment.
•Gravity cast, lightweight aluminum twin spar frame provides an optimized rigidity balance for incredible sports performance combined with great stability. The engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter main frame design without sacrificing stability or handling. The frame is the same spec and shape as the FZ1.
• The riding position is one of the most important features of the Fazer 8. Based on the FZ1 layout, it offers a balance between a sporty riding position and excellent rider comfort.
• Key chassis geometry figures include: 1460mm (57.5″) wheelbase, 51% front and 49 % rear weight balance, 25 degrees of rake and 109 mm of trail. The 47 degree lean angle highlights the Fazer 8’s sporty side.
•Detachable steel rear sub frame allows easy access to rear suspension components and reduces costs in the event of a “loop-out”.
•C.F. (Controlled Filling) die cast aluminum truss-type rear swingarm offers great rear wheel control and traction for razor-sharp cornering and superb stability at speed. The 3-axis stacked engine design allows enough room for the engineers to use a long design (690mm) swingarm, which minimizes the effect of the chain tension on the bike’s handling.
• Fully adjustable 43mm Kayaba inverted cartridge style fork offers 130mm (5.1″) of wheel travel. The benefits of the inverted design include, reduced “unsprung” weight and reduced fork flex since the larger diameter tubes are gripped in the triple clamps. A reduction in unsprung weight allows improved control of the suspension function. Adjustments include spring pre-load, 13-way compression and 11-way rebound damping. The adjustable design allows the rider to tailor suspension settings to match rider weight, road /track conditions and riding style to maximize handling and suspension performance.
•Lightweight aluminum upper and lower triple clamps.
• Adjustable link-type Monocross rear suspension allows the rider to tailor suspension settings to match rider weight, riding style and road conditions to maximize handling and suspension performance. Adjustments include spring preload and 20-way rebound damping. Rear wheel travel is 130mm or 5.1″
•Dual 310mm floating front discs are squeezed by ultra rigid 4-piston, monoblock calipers which provide outstanding stopping power and feel. The master cylinder utilizes a 16mm piston for less lever effort.
•267mm rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight single piston slide-type Nissin caliper with sintered metal brake pads.
• Lightweight cast-aluminum 5-spoke wheels reduce unsprung weight for great handling characteristics. The front wheel is an MT3.50-17 and is fitted with a 120/70-ZR17 radial tire. The rear wheel is a MT5.50-17 fitted with a 180/55-ZR17 radial tire.
• Eye catching, half fairing offers surprisingly good wind and weather protection. The windshield features a special vent that allows some airflow behind the screen to help prevent the “vacuum effect” and to help reduce buffeting.
•Dual “cat eye” halogen 60/55 watt headlights.
•Conventional handlebar design features an upright positioning for maximum everyday riding comfort.
•17-liter fuel tank offers a slim design with great knee grip. The reserve portion of the tank is 3.4 litres.
•Separate rider and passenger seats offers exceptional solo or two-up comfort. Seat width is narrower than the FZ1, making it easier to touch the ground. Seat height is 815mm (32.1″)
•One-piece race inspired instrument features analog tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve tripmeter (counts kilometres since the fuel went on reserve), clock, coolant temperature and a self diagnosis mode.
• Integrated passenger grab rails
•Adjustable, 5-position front brake lever
•Small storage compartment under the passenger seat
•Excessive lean angle engine cut-out switch … if unit is on its side the engine will shut down
•Extended idle cut-off … if engine idles for more than 20 minutes it will automatically shut down
• Durable “O”-ring-sealed drive chain
• Convenient oil level sight glass means easy oil level inspection.
• Lightweight, sealed low-maintenance battery
The “Fazer” offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
2014 Yamaha Fazer 8 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $NA USD
See 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 and FZ1
2014 Yamaha Fazer 8 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $10,999 CDN
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve, inline-four
BORE AND STROKE
68 x 53.6mm
8.4 kg-m (60.8 ft-lbs.) @ 8,000 rpm
Mikuni 35mm throttle body F.I
ESTIMATED FUEL CONSUMPTION±
16kpl / 45.5mpg (Imp)
IGNITION / STARTING
TCI / Electric
Fully adjustable 43mm inverted fork
Adjustable link Monocross
Dual 310 – 4 piston calipers
267mm disc – single piston caliper
/// CRITICAL DATA
RAKE / TRAIL
25° / 109mm
17 litres (3.7 Imp. gal.)
216kg (476 lbs)
Dark Metallic Gray
2014 Yamaha Fazer 8 – Totalmotorcycle.com UK/Europe Specifications/Technical Details
UK/European MSRP Price: £NA.
Details to follow shortly.
2014 Yamaha Fazer 8 – Totalmotorcycle.com Australian Specifications/Technical Details
AU MSRP Price: See dealer for pricing AUD
Details to follow shortly.
Specifications, features and prices to change by manufacturer without notice. All information correct as of posted date.