2021 Honda Monkey ABS: MONKEY GOES BANANAS!
Introducing the 2021 Honda Monkey ABS…
Celebrating its 60th anniversary this model year, the legendary Monkey oozes history and tradition, having originally been produced in 1961 for Tama Tech, a Honda-owned amusement park in Japan. But while this miniMOTO bike’s looks and spirit are faithful to the Monkey’s earliest concept of making mobility fun, its modern iteration touts convenient features that help it perform well and run reliably, which explains why it’s a hit with both nostalgic customers seeking a trip down memory lane, and a new generation of enthusiasts.
When the first Honda Monkey swung onto the scene in the 1960s, it was an instant hit. But times change – and this Monkey has evolved. Looking for a better everyday way to get around town? The 2021 Honda Monkey just might be your machine. Need something practical to scoot around on once you’ve parked a bigger vehicle? This little primate is made for the job. Or maybe you’re just looking for the best time you can have on 125cc’s of pure fun. Yep. That’s the Monkey, without a doubt. Available in eye-catching Pearl Nebula Red or cool Pearl Glittering Blue. There’s an ABS version too. We guarantee you’ll go bananas over it.
2021 Honda Monkey ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
Anti-lock brakes (ABS)
- 125cc air-cooled single-cylinder engine
- Fuel injection
- Four-speed transmission
- High-rise handlebar
- Disc brakes
- Low 30.6-inch seat height
- Electric starter
- Classic Monkey styling, including curved surfaces and a trapezoid silhouette highlighting the compact length, harken back to the loveable design of the original Monkey models, putting enthusiastic smiles on the faces of riders and bystanders alike.
- Glossy 1.47-gallon fuel tank, finished in the same paint color as the frame, swingarm, and shocks, crowns the machine, and proudly wears a historic 3-D Old Wing design Honda logo.
- Chrome steel high-mount front and rear fenders—plus the evocatively stamped exhaust shield, circular mirrors, and high-rise handlebar—all pay homage to the original.
- Modern technology is fully present within the reincarnation of the classic look: a digital full-LCD circular meter features speedometer, odometer with two trip meters, and six-segment fuel-level indicator.
- The “wave” pattern key wears the Old Wing motif.
- LED lighting adds modern touch, durability, and energy efficiency to a classic design.
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- The Monkey’s steel backbone frame has been tuned for a suitable balance between rigidity and supple feel—perfect for the wide variety of conditions the machine is sure to be ridden in.
- Oval in cross-section, the swingarm echoes the circular design theme that runs through the bike.
- Wheelbase is 1,155 mm (45.3 in.), while rake and trail are set at 25°/82 mm for confidence-inspiring handling.
- Wet weight is a mere 234 pounds, with a seat height of 30.6 inches.
- High-density urethane seat with 70 mm cushion contributes to comfortable ride and iconic looks.
- The inverted fork is matched by dual shocks for a compliant-yet-sporty ride.
- A single 220 mm front disc and a 190 mm rear provide secure stopping performance and can be managed by the available IMU-based ABS.
- Fat, 12-inch block-pattern tires make for a smooth ride and are sized 120/80-12 65J front and 130/80-12 69J rear.
- Head pipe, main frame, and engine hanger plate offer optimal strength for stable handling.
ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN
- True to its origins, the Monkey’s horizontal SOHC 125cc single-cylinder engine is simple, robust, and tuned to deliver useful around-town performance.
- Air-cooled, with bore and stroke of 52.4 x 57.9 mm and compression ratio of 9.3:1, fed by PGM-FI, it produces strong, enjoyable power all the way through the rev range.
- Dedicated air cleaner, intake tract and muffler are designed to offer smooth power, with strong power and torque performance between 4,500 and 6,000 rpm for good performance in around-town riding situations.
Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a HondaCare Protection Plan
2021 Honda Monkey ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
125cc FUEL-INJECTED ENGINE
Nobody can match Honda’s reputation for engines, and even though the Monkey may be compact, this single-overhead-cam design is a giant in terms of performance and reliability.
EASY TO PARK
Because of the Monkey’s miniature stature, it’s easy to park in the city, and to store when you’re not riding. There’s always room for a Monkey!
Got a small fuel budget? The Monkey will make it look gigantic. With a 1.5-gallon tank and incredible fuel efficiency, every fill-up will take you farther than you ever thought possible.
HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKES
The Monkey features 220mm front and 190mm rear single disc brakes for excellent stopping power.
Sure, the Monkey is cute, but its four-speed transmission gives you all the durability, control and efficiency of a conventional motorcycle.
Forget about big, bulky taillights—the Monkey’s LED lamp is bright and clear.
The Monkey ABS model gives you an Anti-Lock-Braking System designed to help with controlled stops in less-than-ideal conditions. Whether it’s on wet pavement that’s slipperier than a banana peel, or compromised road surfaces, the Monkey ABS helps you ride with confidence.
INVERTED FORK SUSPENSION
Here’s a huge improvement over the original Monkey bike: Like a top-of-the-line sportbike, the 2021 Monkey features an inverted hydraulic fork front suspension for control and road feel.
TWIN REAR SHOCKS
The Monkey 125 has twin rear shocks. Combined with the fat tires and cushy seat, they smooth out the roughest pavement in the urban jungle.
Tough and strong, these cast wheels and wide tires are just what the urban rider needs.
The Monkey’s high-aspect-ratio tires do more than just look cool. They’re extraordinarily practical too, giving you tons of grip and absorbing bumps or rough road surfaces.
Sure, the Monkey may be small, but we sized it to fit adult riders. Case in point—check out the high-rise handlebar, so you can sit up and check out the world as you ride.
LOW SEAT HEIGHT
Whether you’re flat-footing it into a parking space or just stopped for a long light, the Monkey’s super-low 30.6-inch seat makes it easy to maneuver and ride.
MULTI-FUNCTION DIGITAL INSTRUMENTS
Retro meets modern in the Monkey’s instrument cluster. The round housing is totally 1960s, while the display features speedometer, odometer, A&B trip meters, fuel gauge, and indicator for low/high beam. It even greets you when you first start the bike!
ROUND CHROMED LED HEADLIGHT
The Monkey’s round headlight looks retro, but its performance is totally up to date and provides superior illumination and visibility.
2021 Honda Monkey ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $4199 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ NA CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
|Type||124.9cc air-cooled 80º single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Valve Train||SOHC; two-valve|
|Bore x Stroke||52.4mm x 57.9mm|
|Induction||PGM-FI w/ 24mm bore, automatic enrichment|
|Transmission||Manual; four speeds|
|Final Drive||Chain final drive; 15T/34T|
|Front||31mm hydraulic telescopic inverted fork; 4.3 in. travel|
|Rear||Twin shocks; 4.1 in. travel|
|Front||Hydraulic; single 220mm disc w/ two-piston caliper; ABS||Hydraulic; single 220mm disc w/ two-piston caliper|
|Rear||Hydraulic; single 190mm disc w/ single-piston caliper|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||25º|
|Trail||82mm (3.2 in.)|
|Ground Clearance||6.3 in.|
|Seat Height||30.6 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||1.5 gal. w/ .5 gal. Reserve|
|Colors||Pearl Nebula Red, Pearl Glittering Blue||Pearl Nebula Red|
|Curb Weight*||236 lbs.||232 lbs.|
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride
Meets current EPA standards
Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment
2021 Honda Monkey ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
2021 Honda Monkey ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).