2008 Honda Helix
Back to 2008 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Honda Helix
2008 Honda Helix
The big-wheel CRF150RB is the world’s first high-performance four-stroke mini racer. They feature Unicam engines, race-ready suspension and track-designed chassis for ground-breaking performance.
When you’re serious about winning, the CRF150RB provides you with a seriously high-tech way to get to the checkered flag first. Its 149 cc liquid-cooled Unicam engine produces the same sort of broad powerband and meaty low-end as the bigger CRFs, and because power comes on less abruptly than with a comparable two-stroke, there’s less shifting required. Even the four-stroke engine braking helps when diving into corners!
Not all Mini racers are created alike, so for taller riders we offer the CRF150R Expert. Same great MX package as the standard CRF150R — potent Unicam® four-valve engine, fully adjustable Showa® suspension — but with bigger wheels, a touch higher seat, and longer swingarm to accommodate those young pilots who might have slightly longer inseams. Either way, big or small, the CRF150R’s goal remains the same: dominate the Mini class.
Features & Benefits
– High-Performance Unicam® cylinder head design (see Technology Section)
– Lightweight, compact, internal auto decompression and handlebar-mounted hot-start system provide easy starting, hot or cold.
– Compact, lightweight engine assembly weighs only 43.6 pounds.
– Crankshaft is made of high-strength, low-carbon steel with carburized main journals for maximum durability at sustained high-rpm operation.
– Forged 11.7:1-compression slipper piston and rings are lighter than a conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
– Double-carburized connecting rod utilizes a big-end needle bearing for maximum high-rpm performance and durability.
– Nikasil cylinder lining is lightweight and provides cooler operation for extended engine life.
– Press-fitted aluminum spark plug pipe fits between the two exhaust rocker arms, further contributing to compact cylinder-head design.
– 32mm Keihin FCR carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in very light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.
– Carburetor features a throttle position sensor (TPS) that helps maintain a linear throttle response throughout the range.
– Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates potential clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil, reduces the amount of circulating oil and permits the use of a smaller oil pump.
– Exhaust system uses a lightweight stainless exhaust header and repackable aluminum muffler.
– Vertically split crankcases feature a built-in oil pump, reducing weight compared to a conventional design.
– Dual radiators feature a refined core area for improved heat dissipation compared to conventional dual-radiator design.
– Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump. A six-disc clutch provides the surface area necessary to handle the engine’s impressive torque while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.
– Durable close-ratio five-speed transmission.
– Front and rear suspension settings unique to the CRF®150RB deliver ideal bump-absorption characteristics.
– Handlebar bend optimizes rider position and comfort.
– Lightweight, high-tensile steel frame with large-diameter frame tubing and cross-member provides excellent turning performance and straight-line tracking.
– Box-section aluminum swingarm is lightweight and rigid.
– Removable subframe is strong and durable.
– 37mm leading-axle inverted Showa cartridge front fork features friction-reducing design to improve compression and rebound control.
– The fork offers adjustable compression and rebound settings.
– Wide-section aluminum top and bottom triple-clamps position fork tubes far apart for good turning and control.
– Tapered-roller steering-head bearings for durability.
– Pro-Link® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section)
– Strong, lightweight wheels are durable and minimize unsprung weight.
– Lightweight front and rear disc brakes with high-performance pads offer powerful, precise braking.
– Stout 15mm front and 17mm rear axles incorporate a surface-treatment for added strength and durability.
– Large-capacity airbox and reusable two-stage foam air filter.
– Lightweight plastic body components (radiator shroud, sidecovers, rear fender, seat base, fuel tank, front fender and front number plate) offer a slim, aggressive style.
– Seat-cushion foam follows the shape of the fuel tank, providing a smooth transition to increase rider mobility and comfort.
– Non-slip seat cover for increased rider control.
– High-quality Dunlop tires.
– HRC works-type rear-brake system integrates the rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the separate rear master-cylinder reservoir and hose.
– Adjustable front-brake lever and master-cylinder assembly are the same as CR®125R/CR250R components.
– Stainless-steel clutch cable for long life and improved feel and action.
– Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
– Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USA-certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider’s Club of America® (HRCA®). Visit www.hrca.honda.com for details.
Engine Type: 149cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke: 66mm x 43.7mm
Compression ratio: 11.7:1
Valve Train: Unicam, four-valve; 26mm intake, steel; 22.5mm exhaust, steel
Induction: Keihin 32mm flat slide with throttle position sensor (TPS)
Ignition: Solid-state CD with electronic advance
Transmission: Close-ratio five-speed
Final Drive: #420 chain; 15T/56T
Front: 37mm fully adjustable leading-axle inverted Showa cartridge fork; 10.8 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link fully adjustable Showa single shock; 11.5 inches travel
Front: Single 220mm disc
Rear: Single 190mm disc
Wheelbase: 50.6 inches
Rake (Caster angle): 27°48′
Trail: 96mm (3.85 inches)
Seat Height: 34.1 inches
Ground Clearance: 13.2 inches
Fuel Capacity: 1.14 gallons
Curb Weight*: 187 pounds
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel–ready to ride.
Consult owner’s manual for optional racing parts.
MSRP: $5,899 CDN
Engine Type Liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Displacement 149 cc
Bore & Stroke 66 mm x 43.7 mm
Compression Ratio 11.7:1
Valve Train Unicam, four-valve
Fuel Delivery Keihin 32 mm flat-slide carb with TPS
Transmission Close-ratio five-speed
Final Drive #420 chain, 15T/56T
Front Suspension 37 mm fully adjustable inverted Showa cartridge fork; 274 mm (10.8 inches) travel
Rear Suspension Pro-Link fully adjustable Showa single shock; 292 mm (11.5 inches) travel
Tires 70/100 – 19 front; 90/100 – 16 rear
Brakes Front 220 mm disc; rear 190 mm disc
Ground Clearance 335 mm
Seat Height 866 mm
Wheelbase 1,285 mm
Dry Weight 85 kg including required fluids and full tank of gas – ready to ride
Fuel Capacity 4.3 litres
Colour Extreme Red