Team Suzuki Press Office – May 6.
Joan Mir: 6th – 1:37.233
Alex Rins: 8th – 1:37.275
• Team SUZUKI ECSTAR pleased with progress in one-day test.
• Alex Rins continues his strong form and tries new parts.
• Joan Mir happy to have more bike time in his debut season.
• Sylvain Guintoli back on track to give useful feedback.
Just one day after Alex Rins took a stunning second position at Jerez circuit, the team were back on track for an official test. A busy programme saw the riders focusing on electronics and set-up as well as trying a new specification swingarm and a new swingarm attachment (Rins only).
The main focus of Alex Rins was to test new setup configurations and some improvements in electronics, as well as a new spec of the swingarm. He also debuted Team SUZUKI ECSTAR’s new swingarm attachment for a run early in the test day. However, it was damaged when Alex ran wide and into the gravel trap, so the team decided to switch back to the original testing plan. The Spaniard put in 69 laps and found useful data from the day. He feels positive ahead of the Le Mans GP.
Meanwhile Joan Mir was glad to spend some more time onboard his GSX-RR. The rookie worked on his riding style and approach to corner entry as well as adjusting his set-up. He reported positive feelings and worked very hard, completing a whopping 85 laps despite a small crash.
Suzuki’s test rider, Sylvain Guintoli, provided his usual valuable feedback and worked towards the development of the GSX-RR including electronics settings.
Davide Brivio – Team Manager
“It’s always useful to do a test, especially after the first few races, because you already know what some of the key areas are where you want to improve. Today we went through a few different things, including a new swingarm and new swingarm device, but also a lot of work on electronics and other areas. It’s a good chance to go through things which are hard to work on during the race weekend. We feel positive about the coming races.”
“Today we’ve done a full day of work, testing a lot of things and completing a lot of laps. We found a lot of positive things, and I liked the settings that we tried. Now we head to Le Mans with a really strong package and I’m happy with what we’ve done. I ran off when trying the new swingarm device, so I didn’t get to try it much. Instead we went back to our original plan of testing a new swingarm and focusing on electronics.”
“I’m really happy with today, especially as I did so many laps. I found I was able to increase my pace and build on the lap times I set during the weekend. I feel that my settings for Le Mans will be good as we tried a lot of different things here. I had a crash today, but it was without consequences and I’m happy to have been back on my bike and always learning.”
JEREZ TEST – Classification:
1. QUARTARARO, Fabio Petronas Yamaha SRT 1:36.379
2. CRUTCHLOW, Cal LCR Honda CASTROL 1:36.797 0.418 / 0.418
3. MORBIDELLI, Franco Petronas Yamaha SRT 1:37.093 0.714 / 0.296
4. ESPARGARO, Pol Red Bull KTM Factory Racing 1:37.114 0.735 / 0.021
5. VIÑALES, Maverick Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP 1:37.226 0.847 / 0.112
6. MIR, Joan Team SUZUKI ECSTAR 1:37.233 0.854 / 0.007
7. MARQUEZ, Marc Repsol Honda Team 1:37.260 0.881 / 0.027
8. RINS, Alex Team SUZUKI ECSTAR 1:37.275 0.896 / 0.015
9. LORENZO, Jorge Repsol Honda Team 1:37.466 1.087 / 0.191
10. NAKAGAMI, Takaaki LCR Honda IDEMITSU 1:37.468 1.089 / 0.002
11. DOVIZIOSO, Andrea Mission Winnow Ducati 1:37.601 1.222 / 0.133
12. BAGNAIA, Francesco Pramac Racing 1:37.698 1.319 / 0.097
13. MILLER, Jack Pramac Racing 1:37.701 1.322 / 0.003
14. PETRUCCI, Danilo Mission Winnow Ducati 1:37.720 1.341 / 0.019
15. ESPARGARO, Aleix Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 1:37.758 1.379 / 0.038
16. ZARCO, Johann Red Bull KTM Factory Racing 1:37.895 1.516 / 0.137
17. ROSSI, Valentino Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP 1:38.056 1.677 / 0.161
18. RABAT, Tito Reale Avintia Racing 1:38.061 1.682 / 0.005
19. ABRAHAM, Karel Reale Avintia Racing 1:38.075 1.696 / 0.014
20. SMITH, Bradley Aprilia Factory Racing 1:38.077 1.698 / 0.002
21. OLIVEIRA, Miguel Red Bull KTM Tech 3 1:38.649 2.270 / 0.572
22. SYAHRIN, Hafizh Red Bull KTM Tech 3 1:39.053 2.674 / 0.404
23. GUINTOLI, Sylvain Team SUZUKI ECSTAR 1:39.637 3.258 / 0.584
NC IANNONE, Andrea Aprilia Racing Team Gresini
NC BRADL, Stefan Team HRC