Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2012 Zero X
2012 Zero X Review
Where would you go with an exceptionally lightweight, highly maneuverable and powerful dirt bike? One capable of riding legally on-road as well? Now … what if it didn’t make a sound and only cost pennies to operate?
The all-new Zero X now features the same championship winning powertrain as the Zero MX and, combined with its ability to ride on the street, it opens up previously unthinkable trail riding possibilities. With instant torque from a standstill, no shifting, a low seat height and very light weight, the Zero X is a high performance electric motorcycle that pushes technical trail riding to ambitious new levels. Direct drive gearing and weight-optimized components combine to form a stealthy machine that aggressively races up hills, flies over jumps and cuts through streams.
A revolutionary, life of motorcycle Z-Force™ lithium ion power pack and highly efficient motor are optimized to produce instant acceleration at the twist of your wrist. To extend ride times, the aircraft grade aluminum Zero X frame is designed to accommodate quick power pack swaps.
2012 Zero X Key Features
What’s new for 2012
The 2012 Zero X provides 75% more range, leverages Zero Motorcycles’ revolutionary new Z-Force™ battery technology and is more powerful than ever before. Now featuring the same high output motor as the Zero MX, the Zero X is capable of rapid acceleration to 56 mph on both dirt and pavement. Its impressive performance and fully street legal running gear make the Zero X into Zero’s “do anything” electric dirt bike. In addition to its higher performance, the Zero X now has a more contemporary appearance with new bodywork and stylish graphics.
The Zero X is now exclusively available in a street legal configuration. Ready to ride on anything from trails and tracks to city streets, the Zero X features lights, a sidestand, mirrors, street legal tires and higher gearing that allow riders to sustain greater top speeds. In addition to riding longer distances on a charge, owners will be pleased to know that the Zero X’s Z-Force™ power pack now lasts the life of the motorcycle with the ability to travel upwards of 103,000 miles while still retaining 80% capacity.
2012 Zero X Features and Benefits
Game Changing Z-Force™ Technology: 75% More Range / 100,000+ Mi on a Power Pack
The 2012 Zero X leverages a completely new battery cell chemistry and configuration. Not only does the Zero X now have 38 miles range, the power pack is designed to last the life of the motorcycle. The result of cutting edge research and development, each cell in the power pack is individually controlled and monitored at all times to ensure maximum health. The stand-alone charger minimizes charge time and can work in parallel with Zero’s quick charge accessories to cut charge times by 50%.
Enhanced power pack features include: •75% more range over 2011
– Now capable of going 38 miles according to the EPA UDDS
– Cells last 3,000 full charge-discharge cycles before hitting 80% capacity, yielding as much as 103,000 miles on the original power pack
– State of the art new power pack configuration and cell chemistry ?68% higher energy density power pack that yields significant range and performance advantages
– Elegant new low resistance and highly robust cell interconnect technology
– New battery management system with enhanced 24/7 cell monitoring and a 92% reduction in power consumption
– New, higher voltage power system that allows the motor to run cooler and with more RPMs than ever before
– Quick-charge option available to cut recharge time by 50%
– Power pack can be fully removed from the motorcycle and transported to charge anywhere
– Power pack can be used interchangeably with the Zero XU and Zero MX
– Full aluminum anodized exterior casing
– Highly durable and impact load resistant
– Superior internal packaging
– External programming and recall capabilities via diagnostics port
Motor: High Torque and Acceleration
Fueled by a Z-Force™ lithium ion power pack and now featuring the same performance motor as the Zero MX, the Zero X delivers incredible torque from zero RPM. This is made possible by the powertrain’s ability to efficiently dump an incredibly high amount of power as soon as you twist the throttle.
– 33% more overall power with a top speed of 56mph
– Increased torque and broader power band for much stronger acceleration
– Sustains higher power output for longer durations
– New motor integrated Z-Force Air Induction System: ?Allows for increased motor performance during aggressive riding
– Enables more energy output for longer durations
– Powerful, low weight and compact motor
– Performance settings for more and less aggressive riding (Level I and II)
Frame and Body: New Bodywork and Light Aircraft Grade Aluminum
At the core of the Zero X lies the ultimate dirt bike frame that Zero has engineered from the ground up and hand crafted using aircraft grade aluminum. The resulting combination of lower weight and higher strength means more responsiveness. In the turns and off the line this translates into greater acceleration. To make the frame even more durable each one is shot-peened and anodized. For 2012 the Zero X has a bold new look that includes new front fairings, rear number plates and graphics.
– Rigid, robust and lightweight frame
– Completely new front fairings and rear number plates
– Hydroformed top tube for increased strength and reduced weight
– Large cylindrical swingarm cross tube for increased stiffness and suspension response
– Entire frame is shot-peened and anodized for resistance to corrosion and abrasion
– Organic frame gusseting for increased strength and smoother body lines
– Bodywork is highlighted with new graphics
Suspension and Handling: Smooth Control
The Zero X uses a refined suspension system to absorb aggressive terrain on the trail. Taking advantage of the motorcycle’s low weight, the inverted front fork is robust, light and responsive. Riders can quickly dial it in using the externally adjustable compression and rebound damping. On the rear, a rigid double diamond swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a specially developed rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping. On the rear, a rigid double diamond swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a specially developed rear shock with adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping.
– Carefully tuned, balanced and improved suspension system: ?Specially tuned for the trail and track
– Robust triple-clamps for improved bearing pre-loading and durability
– Steel stanchions for increased strength, rigidity and control
– Front adjustments: Compression and rebound damping
– Rear adjustments: Spring preload, compression and rebound damping
– Refined contact points: ?Aggressive saw tooth profile footpegs to maintain foot position and control
– Standardized clevis for greater aftermarket options
– Handlebars with adjustable risers
– Ergonomic riding position for better control
– More comfortable seat to accommodate longer rides
Brakes: Robust Stopping Power
Because you’ll be going faster through the turns and riding harder with instant torque at any RPM, the Zero X features robust stopping power and a precise brake feel.
– Powerful and high performance braking system
– Precise, easy to modulate and requires little effort
– Increased fade resistance
– Steel braided lines for improved lever feel and precise brake modulation
– Greater commonality using standard-size mount patterns
Wheels and tires: Street Legal Traction for the Trail
The Zero X comes with street legal tires and wheels that are designed for trail usage. For 2012 the wheels are stouter, more durable and more robust than ever before.
– Standard sizes with commonality for greater aftermarket tire options
– Aggressive street legal trail tires (front and rear)
Gearing and Chain: Durability and New Aftermarket Options
To accommodate the Zero X’s increased traction and ability to accelerate in the dirt Zero uses a hardened steel 420 chain along with durable direct drive gearing. The result is a stronger and longer lasting drivetrain that puts the power from the throttle directly into the dirt.
– Hardened steel 420 Chain
– Front and rear accompanying 420 sprockets
– Optimized to be light, stiff, strong and durable
– Standard-size mount pattern for greater aftermarket options
Dash: Quick Look and Easy Access
A quick look tells you everything you need to know when reading the Zero X’s simple and durable instrument panel. The 2012 Zero X comes exclusively in a street legal configuration and the dash now lights up to feature speed, state of charge and status lights.
– Easy access to gauges and switches – ‘quick look’ clustered instrumentation
– “Armed” light for increased awareness and safety
– Keyed ignition switch and steering lock that offers improved security and peace of mind
– Exceptionally accurate state of charge indicator
– Ride time clock
Street Legal: Adding More Freedom and Versatility
– Fully street legal as ordered and ready to register
– Fully street legal and internationally homologated light system
– Modular lighting system harness
– Side stand
– Geared for slightly less torque and higher top speeds
– Side view mirrors
2012 Zero X – Specifications and Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $ 9,495 USD
Europe MSRP Price: â‚¬9,495 Euro
Trail 60-120 minutes
City (EPA UDDS) 38 miles (61 km)
Type High efficiency, Forced air cooled, axial flux permanent magnet, brushed motor
Controller High efficiency, 400 amp, programmable brushed DC controller
Top speed 56 mph (90 km/h)
Type Z-Force™ patented Li-Ion intelligent portable power pack
Maximum capacity 3.0 kWh
Nominal capacity 2.6 kWh
Estimated pack life to 80% (city) 103,000 miles (165,000 km)
Estimated pack life to 80% (trail) 4000 hours
Charger type 1kW, standalone
Charge time (standard) 3.1 hours (100% charged) / 2.7 hours (95% charged)
Quick 2x charger time (accessory) 2.0 hours (100% charged) / 1.3 hours (95% charged)
Input Standard 110V or 220V
Transmission Clutchless one speed
Final drive 61T / 13T, 420 chain
Chassis / Suspension / Brakes
Front suspension 38mm inverted forks with adjustable compression and rebound damping
Rear suspension Direct-link shock with adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping
Front suspension travel 9.44 inches (240 mm)
Rear suspension travel 8.71 inches (221 mm)
Front brakes 2 piston hydraulic, 220×4 mm disc
Rear brakes 1 piston hydraulic, 220×4 mm disc
Front tire 70/100-19
Rear tire 80/100-16
Front wheel 1.85×19
Rear wheel 2.15×16
Wheel base 55.5 inches (1410 mm)
Seat height (standard) 34.3 inches (870 mm)
Low seat height (accessory) 32.3 inches (819 mm)
Rake 26.4 degrees
Trail 3.5 inches (89 mm)
Frame 14.5 pounds (6.6 kg)
Curb weight 213 pounds (97 kg)
GVWR 463 pounds (210 kg)
Carrying capacity 250 pounds (113 kg)
Typical cost to charge $0.32
Equivalent fuel economy (city) 487 MPGe (0.48 liters/100km)
Specifications are subject to change without notice. Imagery may not reflect most current product specifications. Zero Motorcycles reserves the right to make improvements and/or design changes without any obligation to previously sold, assembled or fabricated equipment.
2012 Zero X – Press Release
ZERO MOTORCYCLES DELIVERS 2012 MODEL LINE WITH OVER 100 MILES RANGE,
MORE POWER AND NEW “LIFE OF MOTORCYCLE” POWER PACK
– Game-Changing New Motorcycles to Begin Shipping in February 2012 –
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (November 8, 2011) – Zero Motorcycles today announced its 2012 model line that includes a revolutionary new powertrain, models capable of exceeding 100 miles range, a power pack designed to last the life of the motorcycle and top speeds of up to 88 mph. Stealthy looking and contemporary, every model has been transformed to be faster, go further and, in the spirit of all two wheeled enthusiasts, to be more fun than ever before. Innovating at an exceptional pace, Zero Motorcycles plans to begin delivery of its complete 2012 model line in February 2012. This will mark the first time in transportation history that a mass production electric motorcycle capable of exceeding 100 miles range will be available for consumers to own.
Zero’s new Z-Forcetm power pack uses a completely new battery cell chemistry and configuration that is up to 95% more energy dense and is rated to 3,000 complete charge cycles before hitting 80% capacity. This means that a Zero S could travel as much as 308,000 miles on its original power pack. All Zero’s on and off-road motorcycles leverage the new technology meaning that the power pack is designed to exceed the longevity expected of any conventional motorcycle. The result is a complete electric motorcycle line that offers owners exhilarating rides while saving on gas and virtually all routine powertrain maintenance.
“The 2012 model line is truly game changing. It marks the first time in history that riders can actually own an electric motorcycle that is capable of exceeding 100 miles of range on a single charge,” said Scot Harden, VP of Global Marketing of Zero Motorcycles. “Every model in the lineup goes faster, further and is more fun than ever before. These are not concepts. In less than three months, riders can see and purchase 2012 models at authorized Zero Motorcycles dealers.”
The Zero S, a street fighter, and Zero DS, a dual sport, are both available in a 6 or 9 kWh configuration. As measured by the EPA UDDS, the Zero S is capable of respectively achieving 76 or 114 miles. Both motorcycles offer a higher top speed, with the Zero DS hitting 80 mph and the Zero S topping out at 88 mph. Perhaps more importantly, both motorcycles offer a broad torque band and stealthy acceleration from 0 rpm that makes them incredibly fun to ride. In addition, all the street models, including the Zero XU, feature new brushless motors and regenerative braking that allow riders to recoup energy during deceleration. The Zero XU, a motorcycle designed for inner city riding, now uses the same maintenance-free belt drive system as the Zero S and Zero DS. Brushless air-cooled motors, life of motorcycle power packs and belt drive systems make Zero’s lineup of street models just about the world’s easiest to own form of transportation.
If you are interested in opening up new off-road riding possibilities with a nearly silent dirt bike, Zero has two models that are better looking and faster than ever before to meet your needs. For 2012, Zero streamlined its off-road model line. The Zero X, designed for trail riding, is now exclusively available with lights and is street-legal. With 33% more overall power and 75% greater range, it now uses the same championship winning powertrain as the Zero MX. Built for motocross riding and now exclusively available for off-road only, the Zero MX also received more power and offers riders the ability to accelerate harder and hit higher top speeds. Both off-road models have a bold new design that speaks to their more aggressive and longer lasting powertrain.
Each Zero Motorcycles model is 100% electric and, as a result, is sometimes applicable to receive government rebates or credits. Zero sells its motorcycles through dealerships and, in states or countries without dealerships, sells motorcycles through its website. Each motorcycle comes with a two year limited warranty and will begin shipping in February. Zero and its dealers will accept pre-orders from customers who would like to secure a new 2012 electric motorcycle. The complete pricing for each model is below.
MSRP: (ZF6) $11,495* | â‚¬11,495**
MSRP: (ZF9) $13,995* | â‚¬13,995**
MSRP: (ZF6) $11,495* | â‚¬11,495**
MSRP: (ZF9) $13,995* | â‚¬13,995**
MSRP: $7,695* | â‚¬7,695**
MSRP: $9,945* | â‚¬9,945**
MSRP: $9,495* | â‚¬9,495**
*Does not include local shipping, applicable taxes, PDI, or road registration fees.
**Includes Product, Shipping, and VAT. Does not include PDI or road registration fees.
About Zero Motorcycles
Zero Motorcycles is committed to transforming the motorcycling experience by bringing to market highly innovative electric motorcycles that offer exceptional value and performance. Zero is powered by innovation, driven by passion, guided by integrity, and measured by results. Through extensive research, insight and experience, Zero combines the art and science of motorcycle development to create and manufacture products that excite consumers and inspire brand loyalty. Zero is determined to be the pre-eminent global electric motorcycle company.