Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2015 Kawasaki KLR650 Review
2015 Kawasaki KLR650 on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
The Dual-Sport King
While most motorcycles are single-purpose machines, preferring to run on either dirt or asphalt, the dual-purpose category is far more versatile, able to take riders almost anywhere they wish to go on- and off-road. The 2015 Kawasaki KLR™650 is a tough adventure bike that will put the fun into your off-road adventures. It will do it in comfort, year-round and without breaking the bank.
KEY FEATURES OF THE 2015 KAWASAKI KLR650:
• Ultimate on- and off-road adventure motorcycle is a popular best-seller
• 651cc single-cylinder engine
• 41mm telescopic fork
• Adjustable Uni-Trak® rear suspension
• Multi-contoured seat with dimpled cover
• Wind protection and 6.1-gallon fuel tank for long-range adventure touring
• Composite rear cargo rack
With high-rate suspension springs and firm rebound damping, the dependable KLR provides excellent riding composure when ridden aggressively on twisty back roads. It also offers significant bottoming resistance when ridden over rough terrain. Its seat is narrow at the front for an easy reach to the ground, and wider towards the rear to enhance rider maneuverability and boost long-range comfort. Attractive graphics and abundant color offerings help set the 2015 model apart in its class.
KLR’s single-cylinder 651cc four-stroke engine provides ample torque and horsepower to propel this globetrotting explorer down almost any road or trail.
The engine produces a healthy amount of low-end grunt, and its linear throttle response maximizes traction, even in tough terrain. All this versatility gives the rider the ability to explore everything from the desert to rush-hour traffic, all handled with the same high level of proficiency.
KLR650’s suspension matches the engine’s abilities every step of the way. It includes a 41mm front fork that features firm spring and rebound damping rates to create confidence-inspiring handling.
The KLR650 suspension provides 7.9” of front wheel travel, and 7.3” of rear suspension travel with its Uni-Trak® linkage system. There is also five-way preload and four-way rebound damping adjustment to help tailor the ride to suit conditions and changing loads.
All together, the adjustable suspension with its long wheel travel makes the KLR650 a fun and functional commuter during the week, a competent back road hauler on the weekends, and a more than willing partner for extended off-road adventures.
Braking duties are handled by a dual-piston front caliper gripping a 280mm petal-style rotor, while a 240mm petal-style rotor is squeezed by a single-piston caliper in the rear.
Thanks to its stiff suspension settings, the KLR has a neutral position under heavy braking. The suspension and brake package boosts the motorcycle’s on-road performance and increases its off-road versatility.
ERGONOMICS & EFFICIENCY
The KLR650 seat has a narrow front section and a rounded profile that makes it easy for riders to reach the ground while also enhancing off-road maneuverability. Towards the rear of the seat it has a slightly tapered profile, which produces a wide, stable platform for supreme rider comfort for both the rider and passenger.
A sturdy composite rear luggage rack is ideal for long-distance touring. It can be fitted with an optional Kawasaki Genuine Accessories Tail Bag to make the KLR650 a competent touring companion.
Coupling its sporty seat and large 6.1-gallon fuel capacity means you will be able to enjoy long rides on the KLR650 and be confident on the highway or trail.
Wind protection is handled by the frame-mounted bodywork, which includes a tall windscreen and large shrouds to protect the occupants from the elements.
The alternator has enough capacity for the motorcycle’s onboard systems as well as add-on electronic gadgets that no adventure rider will want to be without.
The KLR650’s competent on-road performance continues once the pavement stops. An engine guard keeps loose rocks and gravel at bay, while its US Forest Service-approved spark arrestor grants the KLR650 access to any roads open to licensed vehicles. Add the optional Kawasaki Tank Bag, Tail Bag and Saddlebags, and you have a recipe for long-distance exploration, beckoning KLR650 owners to enjoy on- and off-road adventures.
2015 Kawasaki KLR650 www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
– Ultimate on- and off-road adventure motorcycle is a popular best-seller
– 651cc single-cylinder engine produces smooth, user-friendly power
– Front and rear suspension rates provide a stable, comfortable platform
– Multi-contour seat and dimpled seat cover enhance both maneuverability and comfort
– Comfortable wind protection and 6.1-gallon fuel tank allow long-range adventure touring
– Composite rear cargo rack provides mounting position for accessory luggage
– 41mm telescopic fork provides great on and off-road performance
– Adjustable Uni-Trak® rear suspension offers plenty of travel and a smooth, controlled ride
– Twin-piston front brake caliper and single-piston rear provide excellent stopping power
The KLR650 is a touring-hungry dual-purpose bike like no other. Whether crossing the city or crossing the continent, on paved roads or on dirt, the KLR650 is a do-it-all bike that loves to travel long distances.
NEW UPDATED FEATURES:
Redesigned seat is slimmer at the front (between the rider’s thighs) and about 30 mm wider at the rear (at the rider’s derriÃ¨re), delivering increased ride comfort on longer rides and better accommodating a wider range of riders.
The seat’s new styling also contributes to improved appearance of the bike in this area.
Changes to the 41 mm telescopic fork include stiffer springs, increased oil height and revised damping settings (for stronger rebound damping) to better suit on-road riding situations as well as heavier loads, which contribute to increased ride comfort and improved handling.
At the rear, changes to the Uni-Trak and single-shock rear suspension (stiffer spring and stronger rebound damping) to better accommodate on-road riding and heavier loads also contribute to the increased ride comfort and improved handling.
2015 Kawasaki KLR650 www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
651cc Four-stroke Single
– Cam timing and tuning contribute to a broad, user-friendly power band
– Smooth bends on the exhaust system create exhaust efficiency at all RPM
– Lightweight, silent cam chain contributes to a quieter engine
– Double engine balancer helps the engine run smoothly from idle to redline
Four-valve Cylinder Head
– Compact combustion chamber allows increased compression ratio with less detonation, while providing maximum valve area for optimum flow
– Boosts low-end torque with ample power at all RPM
– Secondary air system helps reduce exhaust emissions
– Thin, lightweight Denso radiator is fitted with a lightweight cooling fan for maximum cooling efficiency, even at low speeds
– It maintains consistent engine temperatures for a long engine life and sustained power during hard use
– Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running
– Includes a temperature gauge
Fully Transistorized Ignition
– Fully transistorized ignition unit precisely controls timing no matter how fast the RPM changes
– Long, trouble-free lifespan
– Easy and convenient starting
– Convenient location makes starting and warm-up easier
– The engine’s broad torque curve delivers smooth power through a five-speed transmission for
off-road sprinting and relaxed highway cruising
– O-ring drive chain for reduced maintenance and long chain service life
– 41mm front fork with 7.9” of travel
– Uni-Trak® linkage on the rear suspension offers 7.3” of travel
– Five-way shock spring preload and four-way rebound damping adjusters help tailor the ride to suit conditions and changing loads
– D-section swingarm offers good torsional flex characteristics and contributes to the bike’s excellent handling
– High-mounted front fender for off-road capability is designed with an aerodynamic shape to suit adventure/touring situations
– 4mm spokes provide wheel stiffness, further enhancing the handling and improving steering response
– Lightweight and durable alloy wheels are finished in black for extra style
– Semi-double cradle frame made of round-section, high-tensile steel
– Detachable rear subframe simplifies maintenance by providing access to the rear shock, airbox and carburetor
– Large rear cargo rack included as standard equipment
– Engine guard protects engine from rocks and trail debris when the going gets tough
Front and Rear Brake Discs
– Lightweight 280mm front petal-style disc reduces unsprung weight, improves cooling and helps clean the pads for more efficient braking
– 240mm rear petal-style disc offers same benefits as front with reduced unsprung weight, improved cooling and better pads cleaning for more efficient braking
– Dual-bulb headlamp offers good night illumination and integrated styling
– Tail light, parking light and the high-mounted turn signals improve the KLR650’s visibility at night or in poor visibility
Large 6.1-gallon Fuel Tank
– Generous capacity permits long-range adventure touring or more days commuting between fill-ups
Additional Comfort and Touring Features
– Multi-contoured seat is narrower and tapered at the front for a shorter reach to the ground as well as enhanced rider maneuverability. The seat’s rear section is wider and less tapered to enhance comfort
– Bodywork includes a large fairing for wind protection
– Alternator output provides ample power for the headlight as well as accessories such as grip heaters, etc
– Easy-to-read instrument panel is mounted to the frame and includes a large-face speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip meter and water temperature gauge
– Optional extended warranty available
– Tank Bag made from ballistic nylon for gear storage up front
– Top Case for gear storage on the rear, with expandable height
– Saddlebags use rubberized vinyl finish for durability and water-resistance
– Trans Tank Bag made from water-resistant nylon, with custom-fit stretch bra mount with flip hinge for easy fueling
– Trans Handlebar Bag can be fitted with Tank Bag for extra storage
– Tall Windshield for better protection from the elements
– Gel Seat for extra comfort on long journeys
– Cover for storage of the KLR650 that is water-resistant and breathable
2015 Kawasaki KLR650 – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $6,599 USD
Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single
Bore x stroke: 100 x 83mm
Compression ratio: 9.8:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK40
Ignition: Electric CDI
Transmission: Five-speed with positive neutral finder
Final drive: O-ring chain
Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake / trail: 28 degrees / 4.4″
Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm telescopic fork / 7.9″
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-Trak® single-shock system with 5-way preload and stepless rebound damping / 7.3″
Front tire: 90/90×21
Rear tire: 130/80×17
Front brake: Single 280mm petal-type disc, two-piston caliper
Rear brake: Single 240mm disc, single-piston caliper
Overall length: 90.4″
Overall width: 37.8″
Overall height: 53.1″
Ground clearance: 8.3″
Seat height: 35″
Curb weight**: 432 lb
Fuel capacity: 6.1 gallons
Color choices: Candy Lime Green/Ebony
Metallic Flat Raw Graystone/Ebony
Pearl Stardust White/Ebony
Warranty: 12 months
Kawasaki Protection Plans (optional): 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
2015 Kawasaki KLR650 – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $6,999 CDN
Type 4-stroke, Single
Bore and stroke 100.0 x 83.0 mm
Compression ratio 9.8:1
Valve system DOHC, 4 valves
Fuel system Keihin CVK40 carburetor
Ignition Digital CDI
Lubrication Forced lubrication (wet sump)
Front: type Single 280 mm petal disc
Rear: calipers 2-piston caliper
Rear: type Single 240 mm disc
Front: calipers 2-piston caliper
Overall length 2,295 mm (90.4 in.)
Overall width 960 mm (37.8 in.)
Overall height 1,350 mm (53.1 in.)
Wheelbase 1,480 mm (58.3 in.)
Seat height 890 mm (35.0 in.)
Curb mass** 196 kg (432.1 lbs.)
Fuel capacity 22 litres (4.8 gal.)
Ground clearance 210 mm (8.3 in.)
Transmission 5-speed, constant mesh, return shift
Final drive Sealed Chain
Primary reduction ratio 2.272 (75/33)
Gear ratio: 1st 2.267 (34/15)
Gear ratio: 2nd 1.444 (26/18)
Gear ratio: 3rd 1.136 (25/22)
Gear ratio: 4th 0.955 (21/22)
Gear ratio: 5th 0.792 (19/24)
Final reduction ratio 2.867 (43/15)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, cable operation
Type Tubular semi-double cradle, high tensile steel
Wheel travel: front 200 mm (7.9 in.)
Wheel travel: rear 185 mm (7.3 in.)
Tire: front 90/90-21
Tire: rear 130/80-17
Caster (rake) 28.0°
Trail 112 mm (4.4 in.)
Maximum Power‡ 44 PS @ 6,500 rpm
Maximum Torque‡ 50 N·m @ 5,500 rpm
Suspension, front 41 mm telescopic fork
Suspension, rear Uni-Trak single-shock system with 5-way preload and stepless rebound damping adjustment
* The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price does not include freight, pre-delivery inspection or applicable taxes. The final price is at the discretion of the dealer. Prices and Specifications are subject to change without prior notice. The amount indicated as “Your price” may include an optional instant Mega Cash credit that is deducted from the manufacturer’s suggested retail price before taxes. This promotion is time limited and certain conditions will apply. See your dealer for complete details. Offer not available on financed purchases and cannot be combined with any other special offers. The final price is at the discretion of the dealer. Prices and Specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
** Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied)
‡ Power / Torque figures measured at the crankshaft.
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market.