Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2016 Yamaha SMAX Review
2016 Yamaha SMAX on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
The best way to start your sport scooter adventure. 155cc engine, auto transmission, light, sporty handling and under-seat storage…
The Smax sport scooter features a 155cc engine, auto transmission and sporty handling.
The SMAX scooter is a surprising little performer. It is both fun and easy to ride and can carry a passenger too. Its sporty design begins to hint at its full capabilities. Whether zipping around town or hitting the open road, the 155cc single cylinder SMAX can easily keep up with traffic. And it is virtually vibration free with lots of wind and weather protection too. If you are looking for fun, affordable transportation the fully automatic SMAX is waiting to impress you too.
155cc, 4-valve, fuel injected single with a catalyzer equipped exhaust system provides very peppy performance. Even as the 9,500 rpm redline approaches on the centrally located tachometer, the engine remains quiet and virtually vibration free. It is a great “all round” commuter bike that can be ridden at 100 km /hr. comfortably.
/// The Extras
Hidden under the comfortable 2 person seat is a large 32 litre storage area capable of holding an open face or half helmet plus a rain suit and a laptop computer. Front & rear disc brakes provide solid stopping power while the bright halogen headlight surrounded by LED position lights and brilliant LED tail light add extra visibility in traffic.
2016 Yamaha SMAX www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
Handy front mounted storage pocket for small items like cell phone or wallet
• Front mounted fold out hook perfect for carrying grocery bags or similar items
• Extra-long rear fender extension reduces road splash
• Easy-to-use centre & side stands
• Easy access oil level dip stick
• Side reflectors enhance visibility
• Low maintenance, sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
2016 Yamaha SMAX www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
•155cc, liquid-cooled, SOHC, 4-valve, fuel injected, 4-stroke, single produces solid, predictable power and good fuel economy.
•Fuel consumption rating of approximately 34.3 kilometers per litre or 96.9 miles per gallon (imp.). Your actual consumption may vary.
•Fast, dependable electric starting.
– maintains consistent engine temperatures even in stop & go traffic
– liquid-cooling allows for a higher state of tune & performance
– reduces mechanical engine noise
•Four valve cylinder head.
– utilizes two intake valves & two exhaust valves
– provides maximum breathing efficiency & excellent power output
•Roller rocker arm valve actuation.
– specially designed roller rocker arms reduce friction for increased power
– reduce mechanical engine noise for a quiet, enjoyable ride
•Both the intake & exhaust valves feature a special “carbon cutter” valve stem design.
– automatically removes carbon build up from the valve stems
– maintains maximum engine efficiency & power, even during extended slow speed use
– (carbon build up on valve stems can lead to sticky valves & poor performance)
•Lightweight, aluminum cylinder features ceramic composite plating on the cylinder bore.
– insures uniform heat dissipation
– reduces internal friction & weight
•Lightweight crankshaft with carburized connecting rod & lightweight forged aluminum piston.
– optimizes engine performance & provides fast throttle response
– excellent durability (carburization is a heat treating process that increases the strength of steel)
– reduces mechanical vibration
•Gear driven engine balancer shaft.
– reduces engine vibration to a minimum even at higher rpms
– excellent rider comfort
•Wet sump-type oil delivery system & special centrifugal oil filtering system.
– automatically removes any particles found in the oil
– never requires cleaning or maintenance
•30 mm, “closed loop” throttle body fuel injection system.
– 6 hole injector for good fuel atomization
– excellent throttle response
– “closed loop system” uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
– fuel injection benefits include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions
•Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
– produces a strong spark for fast starts
– provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
•Easy access, paper-type air filter.
– easy servicing & reduced intake noise
•Fully automatic, CVT transmission (constantly variable transmission).
– simple “twist-the-throttle-and-go operation”
– no hand clutch or gear shifting
– wide range reduction ratio is used for peppy performance.
•Stylish muffler with catalytic converter.
– reduces harmful exhaust emissions
– muffler produces quiet exhaust note & features heat shields to protect rider & passenger
•Rugged “underbone-style” steel frame.
– makes getting on & off the SMAX easy
– electrostatic paint process helps prevent corrosion.
•High tech triangulated lightweight aluminum swingarm.
•Trailing axle, 33mm front fork with 79 mm (3.1″) of wheel travel.
– good bump-absorbing performance
•Horizontally mounted single shock Monocross rear suspension with 93 mm (3.7″) of wheel travel.
– helps lower the centre of gravity & centralize mass for light & agile handling
•267mm wave-style front disc brake with twin piston caliper provides strong stopping power.
•245mm rear disc brake features a single piston caliper.
•Both front & rear brakes are hand-operated like on a bicycle… making riding simple & fun.
•Rugged, yet lightweight, die cast aluminum, 13 inch, 5-spoke “mag style” wheels.
– fitted with wide, aggressive tubeless tires
•Roomy, dual texture, two-person seat.
– ensures excellent rider & passenger comfort
– cool “touch to open” passenger foot pegs
•Ultra convenient, locking, 32 litre under seat storage compartment.
– can hold most open face and all ½ helmets
– or everyday commuter items like rain suit, laptop, briefcase, etc.
•Dual helmet holder “pins” under the front of the locking seat.
– can store & secure 2 helmets (helmets remain on the outside of the seat but can’t be removed)
•7.5 litre fuel tank with integrated electric fuel pump.
– excellent riding range means fewer fill-ups
– easy access, front fairing mounted, locking gas cap
•Multi-function main key switch operates ignition, fork lock & under seat storage lock.
– special anti-theft “shutter” blocks key hole access to prevent tampering
•Full-size floorboards & wide front apron.
– excellent wind & weather protection
•Comprehensive, sporty instrument panel.
– includes analog tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer & trip meter
– also features a clock, fuel gauge, oil change reminder & a range of warning lights
•Scratch resistant windshield reduces buffing & the “vacuum effect” at higher speeds.
– windshield & front leg cowls combine to provide good wind & weather protection
•Stylish, single 60/55-watt, multi-reflector, halogen headlight.
– maximizes visibility & illumination
– headlight can be adjusted right & left and up & down
•Eye catching LED position lights.
– located below the main headlight & makes the SMAX more visible in traffic
•Brilliant LED rear tail light
2016 Yamaha SMAX – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $$3,690 – Gun Metal Gray – Available from January 2016
$3,690 – Candy Red – Available from January 2016
Engine Type 155cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke, SOHC single
cylinder; 4 valves
Bore x Stroke 58.0mm x 58.7mm
Compression Ratio 11.0:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel Injection
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission Automatic CVT
Final Drive V-Belt
Suspension / Front Telescopic fork; 3.1-in travel
Suspension / Rear Mid-ship, horizontal-positioned rear shock; 3.7-in
Brakes / Front Hydraulic disc, 267mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 245mm
Tires / Front 120/70-13
Tires / Rear 130/70-13
L x W x H 79.9 in x 28.1 in x 51.0 in
Seat Height 31.3 in
Wheelbase 55.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 26.0°
Trail 3.2 in
Ground Clearance n/a
Fuel Capacity 2.0 gal
Fuel Economy 81 mpg
Wet Weight 328 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Gun Metal Gray; Candy Red
** Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha.
Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle,
accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as
applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is
useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2016 Yamaha SMAX – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: Starting from $3999 CDN
4-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, 4-valve, single
BORE AND STROKE
58 x 58.7 mm
11 : 1
1.4 kg-m (10 ft-lb) @ 6,000 rpm
30 mm Throttle body fuel injection
ESTIMATED FUEL CONSUMPTION±
34.3kpl / 96.9mpg (Imp.)
IGNITION / STARTING
TCI / Electric Start
Fully automatic CVT
V-belt / Spur gear
33 mm trailing axle fork
Single shock Monocross
267 mm disc / twin piston
245 mm disc / single piston
/// CRITICAL DATA
2,030 mm (78”)
715 mm (28.1”)
1,295 mm (51”)
1,405 mm (55.3”)
90 mm (3.5″)
795 mm (31.3”)
7.4 litres (1.6 Imp. gallons)
149 kg (328.5 lb)
160 kg (352 lb)
Dark Metallic Gray
Deep Metallic Red
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
2016 Yamaha SMAX – www.Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: See Dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Model Not Available
*Starting at MSRP is the manufactured suggested price and excludes delivery, setup, tax, title, license, and additional fees and expenses. Bikes may be shown with optional accessories. Final sale price determined by an authorized dealer. Specifications and MSRP are subject to change.
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).