Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2016 Yamaha WR450F Review
2016 Yamaha WR450F on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
Extremely precise and nimble cornering and strong 450cc class power makes the all-new WR450F the best bike to race or just trail ride…
OFF-ROAD TRAIL MASTERY
The all-new WR450F will prove to be a great enduro race bike as well as an aggressive trail bike for riders looking for modern technology and performance.
The all new WR450F utilizes many of the same features as our championship winning YZ450F. Yamaha’s engineers draw on the highest level of competition for inspiration & innovations. From engine design to suspension to exterior styling, the racing performance & presence of our YZ models can be found in our entire competition model lineup.
The all new WR450F utilizes our latest championship winning YZ450F rearward slanted, reverse fuel injected engine design. Tuning has been revised to suit enduro style use. The new WR450F produces serious power for those riders who are serious about winning. And with our optional GYTR Power Tuner, the machine can be quickly “tuned” to suit current riding conditions. Click here for YZ Power Tuner suggested settings.
Compact “Bilateral Beam” aluminum frame centralizes mass for exceptional handling & manoeuverability, especially in tight technical situations. By centralizing mass, our engineers have produced a machine that feels and handles more like a 250. Add in the industry’s best & most “tune-able” suspension system and you have an unbeatable combination.
2016 Yamaha WR450F www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
All new model replacing 2012 – 2015 generation WR450F with Yamaha’s latest off road technology
• “Reversed” rearward slanted engine design with 4-valve cylinder head (titanium valves)
• Forward mounted fuel injection & rear exiting “wrap around” exhaust
• Electric starting
• 5-speed, wide ratio transmission
• Radiator fan
• Bilateral Beam aluminum frame with YZ based, adjustable suspension
• 18 inch rear wheel
• 35 watt headlight & LED tail light
• GYTR Power Tuner compatible (Competition Only Kit ECU is required)
2016 Yamaha WR450F www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
•YZ450F based, “reversed” liquid-cooled, 450cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), 4-stroke, single with fuel injection & electric starting. The engine has been tuned for excellent “ride-ability & controllability” delivering a broad, easy to use power band with excellent power characteristics.
• Rearward slanted, reversed cylinder design.
– rearward slant moves a significant amount of rotating weight toward the centre of the chassis
– rearward slanted design centralizes mass for excellent handling & a light feel
• “Reversed” engine design (FI system is front mounted, exhaust exits from rear of cylinder).
– FI throttle body & air box are front mounted, providing a straight intake path
– straight intake path into the cylinder, provides optimum fuel/ air flow for excellent power
– front mounted intake keeps fuel cooler since engine heat has less effect on incoming fuel (cooler fuel is more dense & increases power)
– design centralizes mass for light, agile handling
• Electric start with manual kick starter & auto decompression system. Unit can be re-started in any gear.
• There is no main ignition switch on this model.
– electric start button (RHS handlebar) activates the entire electrical system
– kill switch (LHS handlebar) if held for a few seconds shuts down entire electrical system
– design reduces weight
• Compact 4-valve cylinder head features a 12.5:1 compression ratio.
– titanium 37 mm intake valves & titanium 30.5 mm exhaust valves
– 4-valve design offers optimum flow for excellent power & torque
– compact combustion chamber design
• Lightweight titanium valves use load-reduced oval valve springs.
– titanium reduces reciprocating weight & allows for a higher rpm limit (40% lighter than steel valves)
– reduced friction (load reduced valve springs)
– faster-revving & smoother power delivery
• Automatic cam chain tensioner.
– reduces maintenance & mechanical engine noise
– special cam chain “sliders” reduce internal frictional losses.
• Lightweight hollow intake & exhaust camshafts.
– provide a broad power band well suited to enduro racing or serious recreational type riding
• Lightweight, ceramic composite coated aluminum cylinder.
– reduced weight- no sleeve or heavy liner- plating is sprayed directly on the aluminum block
– ceramic coating insures faster, more uniform heat dissipation
– coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
• Cylinder “cutaways” allow air “trapped” under the piston to enter a side chamber (or cutaway) to reduce horsepower-robbing “pumping losses.”
• The crankcase also utilizes cutaways to reduce “pumping losses”. The crankcase cutaways match the cutaways in the cylinder for maximum efficiency.
• Lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston.
– lightweight design means faster throttle response
– reduced mechanical vibration for excellent durability
– special coating on piston skirt reduces friction
• Piston oil cooler jet nozzle directs oil to the desired portion of the cylinder, rod & underside of piston.
– reduces piston, cylinder & rod temperatures for excellent durability
• The crankcase features a tri-axis layout for the crank, main & drive axles.
– tri-axis design means lighter, more compact crankcases
– centralizes mass for excellent handling
• YZ450F inspired crankshaft & connecting rod features a carburizing process for excellent durability.
• Lightweight gear driven counter balancer shaft.
– reduces vibration for improved rider comfort & reduces rider fatigue
• 5-speed, wide ratio transmission utilizes a 2-bar, floating shift guide system & a 14 mm shift shaft.
– smooth, positive shifts
– good durability in the event of a crash (14 mm shift shaft)
– optimized ratios for good performance in difficult sections & solid top end speed for fast sections
– see spec page for gear ratios
• Heavy duty, multi-plate, clutch with quick access magnesium outer cover.
– clutch is designed for the rigours of enduro riding
– clutch action is light to reduce hand fatigue during extended races / rides
– quick access outer cover provides fast & easy clutch access
• 44mm Keihin throttle body fuel injection system.
– 10-hole injector with a 16 degree spray pattern
– maximizes fuel atomization for more complete combustion & excellent power delivery
– FI settings are specific to enduro racing / riding
– FI benefits include automatic adjustments to insure the optimum fuel – air ratio regardless of outside air temperature & altitude
– other benefits include excellent starting & excellent throttle response
– cold start knob also doubles as an idle adjuster
• The injector spray pattern, spray direction and the distance to the intake valves have been optimized. Forward mounted straight intake tract helps to maximize the benefits of the FI system & overall power output.
• Optional, compact, hand held “GYTR Power Tuner” allows tailoring of both fuel injection duration & ignition mapping.
– 9- different setting points can be accessed for both fuel duration & ignition maps
– maps can be stored & shared with other Power Tuners if desired
– easy access GYTR Power Tuner connector port
– NOTE: Competition Only Kit ECU is required for Power Tuner use on the WR450F
• Forward mounted air box features a washable, dual-stage, foam air filter.
– No tools required to access air filter
• Wet sump lubrication system.
– reduces weight (no remote oil tank or oil lines)
– eases maintenance (easier & faster oil changes)
• Easy access “cartridge-type” oil filter.
• Lightweight, single core, dual rads with electric cooling fan.
– standard cooling fan maintains consistent engine temperatures during slow speed, technical riding
– radiator fin pitch is optimized for good air flow even at slow speeds
• Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
– produces a strong spark for fast starts
– provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
• High capacity AC magneto to power the FI system.
• Lightweight, wrap-around exhaust system based on YZ450F design.
– exits from the rear of the engine & circles cylinder body
– design ensures the optimum tuned header length
– maximizes exhaust “pulse effect” for excellent power delivery
– centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre of the chassis
• Lightweight aluminum / stainless steel muffler (aka silencer).
– multi-expansion design
– spark arrestor equipped
/// CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
• YZ450F based, compact, lightweight “Bilateral Beam” aluminum frame.
– centralizes mass for exceptional handling & manoeuverability
– frame offers an optimum rigidity balance between strength, rigidity & tuned flex, plus excellent shock absorbing qualities
– frame features mounting tabs for accessory under engine skid plate (quick installation)
– frame design offers excellent “rider – machine communication” (a.k.a. feedback)
• Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm.
– lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for optimum suspension performance
– excellent rear wheel traction & control
• Lightweight detachable rear sub frame.
– constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends
– allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components
• YZ450F based, 48mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba “SSS” cartridge fork with 300mm (11.8″) of wheel travel.
– valving & settings are designed for enduro type riding
– front fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping & 20-way rebound damping
– 25 mm front axle
– optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts
• Fork features a twin-chamber, “Speed Sensitive System” design meaning the damper unit is in a separate structure (completely separated air & oil chambers) which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and degrading its damping abilities. Since the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil.
• Fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV).
– TCV enhances damping from mid to full stroke & improves bottoming characteristics
– TCV offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke
– TCV is located on the upside of the spring & its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term “Speed Sensitive System fork”.
• Large “wrap-around” plastic fork protectors provide excellent lower fork tube protection.
– “self-supporting” design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
• YZ450F based, Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable Kayaba piggyback shock with 318 mm (12.5″) of wheel travel.
– features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping
– shock is in-line with the center axis of the frame for excellent control
– shock valving & settings are tailored for enduro riding
– shock adjustments include: threaded spring preload, 20 -way low-speed compression damping, 2 turns of high speed compression damping & 30-way rebound damping
• 270mm floating front “wave-style” disc & compact twin piston Nissin caliper.
– wave disc design reduces weight & improves cooling (wave design offer more surface area for better cooling)
• “Shorty style” adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes.
• 245mm rear disc brake features a “wave-style” disc & single piston Nissin caliper & master cylinder.
• Rear caliper & lower portion of the wave style disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors.
• Lightweight, plastic resin 7.5 litre fuel tank with compact in-tank electric fuel pump is located under seat.
– reduces centre of gravity & centralizes mass for exceptional handling & a lightweight feeling
– tank can be flipped on its back without disconnecting fuel line (easy servicing under the tank)
– 2.0 litre reserve portion ( low fuel light illuminates)
• Adjustable handlebar holders offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30mm.
– suits wide variety of rider sizes
– handlebar holders are rubber mounted for reduced vibration & improved rider comfort
• Compact body work.
– reduces weight & enhances the lightweight feel & look of the WR450F
– flat design, “minimal” bodywork allows for fast, easy rider movements & a natural riding position
– rad shrouds are slightly different than YZ450F to enhance airflow at slower speeds
– minimal design aids in keeping the body looking good (less plastic to scratch or damage)
– graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds & will not peel off or get damaged by pressure washing
• Flat seat design.
– provides easy rider movements
– features a “cap cover” to access the fuel cap
– non-slip seat cover material resists clogging with dirt or mud
• Rugged Excel rims.
– excellent durability
– reduces unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance & handling
– 18″ rear wheel improves puncture resistance (Vs. 19″ designs)
– Front rim size is 1.60 x 21″, rear is 2.15 x 18″
– Dunlop MX51 tires
• Lightweight digital meter assembly.
– functions include: speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters & clock in the basic mode
– “race mode” features pace management functions including; timer & distance compensating trip meter
– warning lights for engine trouble (FI system) & low fuel
• Stylish, slim design 35 watt headlight.
– headlight beam is adjustable up & down
• Brilliant LED rear taillight.
• Lightweight aluminum side stand
• Heavy duty plastic engine skid plate
• Convenient oil level sight glass
• Lightweight, extra wide foot pegs
• Folding shift lever tip
• Heavy duty rubber swingarm protector
• Lightweight chain guide / support reduces chance of chain derailment & helps protect rear sprocket
• Heavy duty sealed “O” ring drive chain
• Easy access GYTR Power Tuner & Yamaha Diagnostic tool connectors
• Sealed, no spill, gel type, low maintenance battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
2016 Yamaha WR450F – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $8,990 – Team Yamaha Blue/White – Available from November 2015
Engine Type 449cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 titanium valves
Bore x Stroke 97.0mm x 60.8mm
Compression Ratio 12.5:1
Fuel Delivery Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI) Keihin® 44mm
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission Wide-ratio constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet
Final Drive O-ring chain
Suspension / Front KYB® spring-type fork with speed sensitive
damping; fully adjustable, 12.2-in wheel travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® single shock; full adjustable; 12.5-in
Brakes / Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 270mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm
Tires / Front Dunlop® MX51 80/100-21
Tires / Rear Dunlop® MX51 120/90-18
L x W x H 85.2 in x 32.5 in x 50.4 in
Seat Height 38.0 in
Wheelbase 57.7 in
Rake (Caster Angle) n/a
Ground Clearance 12.8 in
Fuel Capacity 2.0 gal
Fuel Economy n/a
Wet Weight 271 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue/White
** Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha.
Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle,
accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as
applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is
useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2016 Yamaha WR450F – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $9999 CDN
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single
BORE AND STROKE
97 x 60.8mm
Keihin 44mm throttle body F.I.
IGNITION / STARTING
TCI / Electric & Kick
Wide ratio 5-speed transmission
Primary 60/23 = 2.609
Secondary 50/13 = 3.846
1st gear = 29/12 = 2.417
2nd gear = 26/15 = 1.733
3rd gear = 21/16 = 1.313
4th gear = 21/20 = 1.050
5th gear = 21/25 = 0.840
“O” ring chain
Adj. 48mm inverted fork / 300mm (11.8″) travel
Fully Adj. Link Monocross / 318mm (12.5″) travel
270mm floating disc – twin piston caliper
245mm disc – single piston caliper
/// CRITICAL DATA
7.5 litres (1.7 Imp. gal.)
123 kg (271lbs)
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
2016 Yamaha WR450F – www.Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: See Dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Model Not Available in Europe
*Starting at MSRP is the manufactured suggested price and excludes delivery, setup, tax, title, license, and additional fees and expenses. Bikes may be shown with optional accessories. Final sale price determined by an authorized dealer. Specifications and MSRP are subject to change.
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).