Click photos to enlarge. Our big, clean bike pics make great desktop wallpaper.
2016 Yamaha YZ250F Review
2016 Yamaha YZ250F on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
The new YZ250F won right out of the gate. Multi-time moto magazine shootout winner, National MX Champion and now West Region SX Champion…
THE MOTOCROSS & SUPERCROSS CHAMPION
A winner right out of the gate – multi-time magazine shootout winner, National MX Champion and West Region SX Champion. The YZ250F is even better for 2016.
The fuel injected 2016 YZ250F offers excellent power and amazing cornering performance thanks to exhaustive mass centralization efforts and a compact chassis design. For ’16 we have made a number of detail improvements to the piston, piston pin, crank, clutch and transmission. On the chassis side we have installed a larger 270mm front disc brake, and revised the suspension settings. The YZ250F has the response and depth of power that the competition can’t match!
AMA Supercross championship winning, “reversed”, liquid-cooled, 250cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single with fuel injection delivers a broad, easy to use power band. Tuned for excellent “ride-ability and controllability”, the engineers have focused on improving the mid to high rpm engine power for strong, exciting corner exiting acceleration.
2016 Yamaha YZ250F www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
New, lighter weight, flat top piston & piston pin
• New piston oil cooler jet nozzle
• Revised crank & rod
• Revised clutch assembly
• Revised transmission & shift cam stopper lever
• Revised ECU
• Revised front fork oil quantity
• Revised rear suspension settings
• New, larger 270mm front disc brake with twin piston caliper
2016 Yamaha YZ250F www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
• The design goals for the fuel injected YZ250F are a balance of easy cornering, lightweight and compact feeling thanks to excellent mass centralization. The fuel injected engine features a wide, controllable power band that sets the standard in the 250 class.
• Revised, “reversed” liquid-cooled, 250cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), 4-stroke, single with fuel injection. The engine has been tuned for excellent “ride-ability and controllability” and delivers a broad, easy to use power band with excellent power characteristics.
• Unique engine design features a rearward slanting cylinder that is “reversed” compared to traditional designs. The FI throttle body and air box are front mounted and provide a straight intake path for maximum power output, while the exhaust exits from the rear of the cylinder. The front positioned intake means engine heat will have less “heating effect” on the incoming fuel charge (cooler fuel helps increase power). The benefits of the rearward slanted engine include the straight shot intake, mass centralization which improves both handling and suspension performance and a light weight feeling.
• Compact 4-valve cylinder head features a 13.5:1 compression ratio. The titanium intake valves are 31mm in diameter while the titanium exhaust valves are 25mm, with a 23.75 degree valve angle for a compact combustion chamber design. The 4-valve design offers optimum flow, a higher rpm limit and improved power.
• Lightweight titanium valves (intake & exhaust) and load-reduced oval valve springs reduce reciprocating mass for less friction, faster-revving and smoother-hitting power delivery across the rev range.
• Automatic cam chain tensioner reduces maintenance while special cam chain “sliders” reduce internal frictional losses.
• High performance, light weight, hollow intake and exhaust camshafts enhance this unique engine design and offer broad power especially in the mid to high rpm range.
• The lightweight aluminum cylinder features a ceramic composite coating applied directly to the aluminum block, eliminating the need for a liner or sleeve. The ceramic coating insures faster, more uniform heat dissipation, reduced friction and a longer service life.
• Special cylinder design features cutaways that allow the air “trapped” under the piston to enter a side chamber (or cutaway) to reduce horsepower-robbing “pumping losses.”
• The crankcase also utilizes cutaways to reduce “pumping losses”. The crankcase cutaways match the cutaways in the cylinder for maximum efficiency.
•Revised crankshaft features a new heat treating process and new molybdenum coated thrust washers on either side of the rod to reduce friction. The balance ratio of the crank has been revised to reduce vibration and improve torque feeling.
• New, lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston features a single compression ring and a special designed oil control ring. The new, flat top piston features lateral ribs on both sides of the piston pin area. Benefits include a 7% reduction in piston weight for faster engine response. The 2-ring design decreases sliding resistance, reduces weight and improves horsepower.
•Revised lighter weight piston pin features a diamond like coating (DLC) to reduce friction.
•Piston oil cooler utilizes a revised nozzle that directs oil to the desired portion of the cylinder and underside of the new piston for great durability. The revised nozzle reduces piston temperatures by up to 10 C.
• Revised, gear driven balancer shaft utilizes a new balance ratio for reduced vibration and improved torque feeling. Less vibration means less rider fatigue during a long moto.
• The crankcase features a tri-axis layout for the crank, main and drive axles. This tri-axis design keeps the crankcase more compact while also centralizing mass for excellent handling.
•Revised, 5-speed transmission features new engagement dog shape on selected gears for improved shifting. The transmission ratios are designed to match engine output to reduce “driving force” losses.
• The YZ250F features a 2-bar shift guide system with a 14mm shift shaft for excellent durability. Revisions to the shift stopper lever include changes to the roller shape, spring load and support design for smoother, more accurate shifting.
• Revised, multi-plate wet clutch features a new surface finishing process that increases the flatness of the clutch boss contact area for improved engagement feeling.
• Quick-access, lightweight magnesium outer clutch cover for fast, easy clutch maintenance.
• 44mm Keihin throttle body fuel injection system is a battery-less design. The 10-hole injector and 16 degree spray pattern maximizes fuel atomization for more complete combustion and excellent power delivery. The benefits of fuel injection include constant ongoing adjustments to insure the optimum fuel – air ratio regardless of outside air temperature and altitude. Other benefits include improved starting and improved throttle response. There is a cold start knob which also doubles as an idle adjuster too.
• The injector spray pattern, spray direction and the distance to the intake valves have been optimized, while the specially designed straight intake tract helps to maximize the benefits of the FI system and overall power output.
• Optional, compact, hand held “YZ Power Tuner” allows tailoring of both fuel injection duration and ignition mapping. Nine (9) different setting points can be accessed for both the FI map and the ignition map. Maps can be stored and shared with other Power Tuners if desired.
• Forward mounted air box features a flat style, washable, dual-stage, foam air filter which is easily accessible without removing the tank or seat. Quick release, no tools required, fasteners on the air box cover for faster servicing.
• Wet sump lubrication system reduces weight, allows for more compact engine cases and eases maintenance.
• Oil volume in the engine has been optimized to reduce weight and oil drag related power losses.
• Maintenance-free transistor-controlled digital ignition (TCI) ensures fast starts and great performance at all rpms.
• High capacity ACM (alternating current magneto) is used to eliminate the need for a battery.
• Automatic decompression system ensures easy starts in any gear.
• Wrap-around exhaust system exits from the rear of the engine and circles around the cylinder body before turning to the rear of the bike. This design ensures the optimum tuned header length, maximizes the exhaust “pulse effect” and centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre of the bike.
• Revised muffler bracket reduces weight. The re-packable lightweight aluminum / stainless steel muffler (aka silencer) meets the current 94dB AMA and CMRC sound regulations.
• Compact, lightweight, single core, dual radiators provide outstanding cooling efficiency.
•New ECU settings for both ignition timing and the FI system settings.
• Special “G” sensor system will shut down the fuel injection system if the bike lies on its side for more than 10 seconds, to help prevent costly engine damage. There is no special procedure to re-start the bike… just kick it and go.
• Works-style race-spec “barrel adjuster” for on-the-fly clutch lever free play adjustments.
• Easy access element style oil filter.
• Compact, lightweight “Bilateral Beam” aluminum frame centralizes mass for exceptional handling. The frame provides outstanding strength, an optimum rigidity balance and shock absorbing qualities that contribute to exceptional cornering. This frame is compact and offers excellent “rider – machine communication” (a.k.a. feedback) . The engineers have optimized the balance between strength, rigidity and flex. The key goal of the chassis is faster and easier cornering … one of the main keys to winning races.
• Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm is produced using “hydro forming”, a special method that uses high pressure liquid to form shapes.
• Lightweight detachable rear sub frame is constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends. The detachable design allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components.
• Adjustable handlebar clamps offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30mm, to suit a wide variety of riders. The handle bar clamps are rubber mounted for improved rider comfort.
• 48mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba cartridge fork offers 310mm (12.2″) of wheel travel. Inner tubes feature a special surface treatment for smooth performance. Fork oil amount has been revised for ’16. Front fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping. Optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts.
• The fork features a twin-chamber, “Speed Sensitive System” design meaning the damper unit is in a separate structure which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and reducing its damping abilities. Since the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil.
• The 48mm inverted KYB fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV) . The TCV enhances the damping force from mid to full stroke and improves bottoming characteristics. The benefit of TCV is more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke. The TCV is located on the upside of the spring and its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position… hence the term “Speed Sensitive System fork”.
• Large “wrap-around” plastic fork protectors provide excellent lower fork tube protection. The “self-supporting” design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
• Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable, Kayaba piggyback shock which provides 315mm (12.4″) of wheel travel and features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping. Shock settings for spring rate, rebound damping, low speed compression damping and high compression damping have been revised. The shock is in-line with the center axis of the bike for excellent control. Shock adjustments include: spring preload, 30-way rebound damping, 20-way low-speed compression damping and 2 turns of high speed compression damping.
• New, larger 270 mm floating front “wave-style” disc improves cooling and adds style too. The disc is squeezed by a new, compact Nissin twin piston caliper fitted with lightweight aluminum pistons and new high friction pad material for excellent stopping power.
• “Shorty style” adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes.
• 245mm rear disc brake features a “wave-style” disc. The disc is squeezed by a single piston compact Nissin caliper.
• The rear caliper and the lower portion of the wave style disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors.
• Lightweight, plastic resin 7.5 litre fuel tank is located under the seat, once again reducing the centre of gravity and centralizing mass. The fuel tank is able to flip backwards 180 degrees (flip onto its back) without disconnecting the fuel line for easier servicing under the tank. Compact, lightweight in-tank electric fuel pump.
• Compact body work reduces weight and enhances the lightweight feel and look of the YZ250F. This “minimal design” bodywork is a flat design, allowing for fast, easy rider movements and provides a natural and roomy riding position. Minimal design aids in keeping the body looking good throughout the life of the machine.
• Graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds. They will not peel off or get damaged by pressure washing.
• The seat design is flat for easy rider movements and features a “cap cover” to access the fuel cap. There is no fuel cap visible with this design. The fuel filler “cap cover” snaps into place, via grommets. The pebble finish seat cover material resists clogging with dirt or mud to ensure long lasting good looks.
• Rugged, 21″ front and 19″ rear black Excel rims provide exceptional durability and help reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance and handling.
• 22mm front axle increases overall front end rigidity.
• Large 25mm rear axle and a hub design which features a second bearing on the sprocket side for increased rigidity and durability.
• Clutch cable features integrated silicone grease in the cable and a Teflon liner for smooth cable operation.
• Convenient oil level sight glass window
• Lightweight, extra wide foot pegs provide excellent grip and ground clearance.
• Folding shift lever tip
• Lightweight chain guide / support helps reduce chance of chain derailment and also helps protect the rear sprocket.
• Heavy duty DID 520 drive chain
• Easy access Power Tuner and Yamaha Diagnostic tool connectors
• E10 friendly fuel system components
2016 Yamaha YZ250F – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $7,590 – Team Yamaha Blue/White – Available from July 2015
$7,690 – 60th Anniversary Yellow – Available from July 2015
Engine Type 250cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 titanium
Bore x Stroke 77.0mm Ã— 53.6mm
Compression Ratio 13.5:1
Fuel Delivery Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI), Keihin® 44mm
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission Constant mesh 5-speed, multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front KYB® Speed-Sensitive System inverted fork;
fully adjustable, 12.2 in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® monoshock; fully adjustable, 12.4 in
Brakes / Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 270mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm
Tires / Front 80/100-21 Bridgestone® M403A
Tires / Rear 100/90-19 Bridgestone® M404
L x W x H 85.2 in x 32.5 in x 50.4 in
Seat Height 38.0 in
Wheelbase 58.1 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 27.1°
Trail 4.6 in
Ground Clearance 12.8 in
Fuel Capacity 2.0 gal
Wet Weight*** 231 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue/White; 60th Anniversary
** Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha.
Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle,
accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as
applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is
useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2016 Yamaha YZ250F – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $8499 CDN
4-stroke, Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single
BORE AND STROKE
77 x 53.6 mm
44 mm Keihin throttle body F.I.
IGNITION / STARTING
TCI / Kick
1st gear 2.143 (30/14)
2nd gear 1.750 (28/16)
3rd gear 1.444 (26/18)
4th gear 1.222 (22/18)
5th gear 1.042 (25/24)
Adj. 48mm, inverted fork / 310mm (12.2″) travel
Fully adj. Monocross / 315mm (12.4″) travel
270mm, floating disc / twin piston caliper
245mm disc / single piston caliper
/// CRITICAL DATA
7.5 litres (1.7 imp. gallons)
105 kg (231 lb)
60th Anniversary Yellow & Black
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
2016 Yamaha YZ250F – www.Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: See Dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Model Not Available in Europe
*Starting at MSRP is the manufactured suggested price and excludes delivery, setup, tax, title, license, and additional fees and expenses. Bikes may be shown with optional accessories. Final sale price determined by an authorized dealer. Specifications and MSRP are subject to change.
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).