2017 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS LE Review
2017 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS LE on www.Totalmotorcycle.com
WITNESS THE PHENOMENON…
Prepare to experience performance in a way that only a Kawasaki can deliver. The ZX-14 is the ultimate blend of extreme excitement and everyday versitility. Feel at home traversing the mountain roads, or feel the ultimate rush hurtling down the dragstrip.
Available in: Firecracker Red/Metallic Graystone
THE DOMINATING NINJA® ZX™-14R, NINJA® ZX™-10R AND NINJA® ZX™-6R MOTORCYCLES RETURN
Born on the race track, the Kawasaki Ninja® line of supersport motorcycles has dominated many road racing divisions, including the FIM Superbike World Championship (WorldSBK) in 2013, 2015 and 2016 with the Ninja® ZX™-10R. The same goes for the FIM Supersport World Championship series with the championship win in 2015 and 2016 with the Ninja® ZX™-6R. Their proven performance on the racetrack has translated to sportbikes that deliver the thrill of racetrack precision to the streets. The Ninja ZX-10R and Ninja ZX-6R remain major forces to be reckoned with.
2017 KAWASAKI NINJA® ZX™-14R ABS
The 2017 Kawasaki Ninja® ZX™-14R ABS returns to its throne as the King of Ninja motorcycles, with the largest engine in the Ninja lineup. The popularity of the Ninja ZX-14R ABS LE supersport bike has never waned since its introduction. Its big displacement and big horsepower has brought big accolades, thanks largely to the muscularity of its 1,441cc inline-four. The bike is happy meandering two-up on a back road, yet is equally at home on the drag strip.
The secret to this motorcycle’s broad appeal comes from embracing technologies like ABS brakes and traction control that add more usability for a wide range of riders and riding styles.
2017 KAWASAKI Ninja ZX-14R ABS LE HIGHLIGHTS:
• NEW Metallic Spark Black/Golden Blazed Green
• The Ninja ZX-14R Special Edition returns with Brembo® brakes with stainless lines and a new Golden Blazed Green/Metallic Spark Black color
• Powerful and flexible 1,441cc, inline-four cylinder engine
• Hugely competent sport touring motorcycle equally at home on the drag strip
• Standard ABS brakes plus KTRC traction-control system with three different modes
Just as the iconic 1984 Ninja 900 motorcycle boasted the most powerful production engine of its day, the 2017 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS LE motorcycle continues that tradition of impressive power, while adding plenty of torque for relaxed cruising. The 1,441cc DOHC inline-four represents the pinnacle of supersport power and performance. The character of the power delivery is as important as the peak numbers, so the surface-milled combustion chambers and polished intake ports help to spread the powerband as wide as possible.
The most important aspect of a high-performance motorcycle is the ease with which a rider can control it, and the 2017 Ninja ZX-14R ABS LE motorcycle has a host of features to keep the rider in charge, many of which are inspired by the competitive arena of Superbike racing.
The rider can choose from two engine power levels by using the two-mode Hi/Low power selector switch. This gives the rider the opportunity to select either full power or reduce it to 75-percent to suit the prevailing conditions.
Furthermore, there is a three-mode Kawasaki Traction Control (KTRC) system, where the first two modes are intended to maximize acceleration and are similar to the S-KTRC system found on the Ninja® ZX™-10R motorcycle. The third mode is tuned for low-traction (wet/slippery) conditions, similar to the Concours®14 ABS sport tourer. The KTRC system can also be turned off completely by the rider using the bar-mounted toggle/push switch, which also operates the Power Modes. KTRC activity can be monitored on the cockpit’s LCD info screen.
Kawasaki engineers designed the monocoque chassis to deliver a light-handling and maneuverable motorcycle. For real sport riding performance, the frame’s aluminum castings and forgings allow unique flex and rigidity characteristics, giving an ideal balance to exploit the world-class power and acceleration capabilities of the Ninja ZX-14R ABS LE motorcycle.
Front and rear suspension tuning helps maintain wheel control, ride comfort and maneuverability. Both the 43mm fully adjustable inverted front forks and multi-adjustable single rear shock offer excellent responses throughout a wide speed range, while the machined ten-spoke wheels reduce unsprung weight to aid acceleration, handling and suspension action.
The Ninja ZX-14R ABS LE will be available in Metallic Spark Black/Golden Blazed Green. Returning for 2017 is the Ninja ZX-14R Special Edition, with special badging and a new Golden Blazed Green/Metallic Spark Black color.
2017 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS LE www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
With three WorldSBK titles under its belt, the Kawasaki Ninja® ZX™-10R ABS is already the most respected literbike in the racing paddock. The Ninja ZX-10R ABS motorcycle combines state-of-the-art mechanical design with the very latest rider electronics suite. The result is the ultimate superbike with the mind-bending performance of a more powerful 998cc four-cylinder engine on the track, as well as legendary Kawasaki reliability both on and off the track.
The 2017 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R features new color and graphics, with a Pearl Blizzard White/Metallic Flat Raw Titanium color scheme for both the standard and ABS models. Returning is the Ninja ZX-10R KRT Edition, which features a Lime Green/Ebony color scheme.
The 2017 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R ABS is the highest performing, most track-focused sportbike available today for homologated racing use. It boasts World Superbike-derived Showa suspension and a user-friendly electronics package that is exclusive to Kawasaki and only available to Ninja ZX-10R ABS riders. The electronics package is developed from Kawasaki’s World Superbike experience and includes Kawasaki Engine Braking Control, Kawasaki Launch Control Mode (KLCM), Kawasaki Intelligent anti-lock Braking System (KIBS), Kawasaki Cornering Management Function (KCMF), Sport Kawasaki TRaction Control (S-TRC) and Kawasaki Quick Shifter (KQS).
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2017 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-10R ABS MOTORCYCLE:
• World Superbike-derived Kawasaki Racing Team (KRT) technology has produced the most track-focused sportbike ever
• Powerful 998cc inline, four-cylinder, 16-valve engine
• Light crankshaft allows quicker revving and increased low-mid-range power
• Pistons, head design, camshaft profiles and air box for better response and power
• Computer-controlled electronic throttle valve delivers precise control
• Lightweight titanium exhaust system
• Close-ratio, cassette-type transmission is ideally suited to racing and gives strong corner exit acceleration
• Chassis with new steering head position, swingarm rigidity and length, longer wheelbase creates balanced handling
• Front cowl provides better aerodynamics, improves high-speed handling, reduces rider buffeting
• Showa Balance Free Fork (BFF) and Balance Free Rear Cushion (BFRC) derived directly from World Superbike racing, first time used on a mass-production motorcycle
• Brembo® M50 monobloc front calipers, 330mm Brembo rotors and master cylinder provide increased braking power, feel and heat dissipation
• Electronics suite utilizes a Bosch five-axis IMU for Kawasaki Engine Braking Control, Kawasaki Launch Control Mode (KLCM), Kawasaki Intelligent anti-lock Braking System (KIBS), Kawasaki Cornering Management Function (KCMF), Sport Kawasaki TRaction Control (S-TRC) and Kawasaki Quick Shifter (KQS)
• Kawasaki Racing Team-inspired KRT Edition color scheme combining Lime Green and Ebony paint
The Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R motorcycle has dominated the World Superbike Championship for many years – finishing second in 2012, first in 2013, second in 2014, first again in 2015 and 2016 while also propelling Kawasaki to the manufacturers title in each of the last two seasons. All this success has a direct impact on Kawasaki’s street products, with the technology being fed back to Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. for integration into the Ninja ZX-10R ABS motorcycle design. This has helped to sharpen the motorcycle’s edge, resulting in better handling, improved lap times and a thrilling riding experience.
Participating in the most competitive arena in the world for production motorcycles, Kawasaki continually pushes its technology forward, not only in terms of engine performance but also handling and the suite of electronic rider aids thanks to the introduction of a ground-breaking Bosch five-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) and Kawasaki proprietary software, creating six axes of measurements. Much of this technology is transferred from the World Superbike pit box to the 2017 Ninja ZX-10R street motorcycle.
The IMU is able to measure longitudinal acceleration and braking, transverse or lateral forces when cornering, vertical acceleration such as when cresting a hill at steady speed, rotational roll rate (or lean angle), and the pitch rate such as during a wheelie or under hard braking. The Kawasaki software adds the sixth axis, yaw rate—such as experienced during a powerslide where the rear wheel is out of line with the front—through the onboard computer of the Ninja ZX-10R.
The IMU input into the ECU works in conjunction with wheel speed, brake pressure, throttle position, engine RPM and throttle opening sensors. This high level of chassis orientation awareness means the ECU can adapt to changes in tires and even road camber. This gives the Kawasaki system an advantage because the S-TRC, KLCM, KIBS and KCMF can respond to conditions in real time, rather than using only pre-set limits.
The S-TRC system features five modes of intervention: Modes one and two are designed for a racer on the track, while mode three is designed for a dry circuit with high-grip tires and mode four is intended for dry canyon roads or commuting, while mode five is programmed to suit.
The Ninja ZX-10R ABS model’s KCMF helps distribute optimum hydraulic pressure to the calipers based on the motorcycle’s lean/pitch angle. The result is reduction of the motorcycle’s tendency to stand up when applying the brakes in a turn on the track. Instead, the Ninja ZX-10R ABS motorcycle is better able to follow the rider’s intended line while slowing down for a difficult turn, rather than having the tendency to run wide.
The KLCM features three different modes that are designed to suit different rider abilities. Mode one offers less intrusion from the system but requires the rider to operate the clutch and throttle with greater sensitivity. Mode three allows the electronics to do more of the work while the rider simply drops the clutch with the throttle wide open. Mode two gives a setting between the first and third. The KLCM assists racers by optimizing acceleration from a stop by controlling engine output to prevent wheelspin and minimize font-end lift when leaving the starting line. Using an indicator on the digital instrument display, the rider selects KLCM with the Power Mode also on “Full.”
Giving the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R ABS motorcycle a distinct advantage on and off the track is the Showa Balance Free Fork (BFF), which was specially created by Showa and derived from World Superbike competition experience.
The main feature of the Showa BFF is that the design of the hydraulic system eliminates the pressure balance fluctuations typically found in conventional forks. With the BFF, the damping valves are located in one place – outside the fork legs in the damping force chamber. This allows the entire surface of the fork pistons to push the hydraulic fluid toward the valves in the damping force chamber, with nitrogen gas in the compression chamber pushing back against the oil, helping to maintain the balanced pressure inside the fork tube.
The rear shock absorber is a Showa Balance Free Rear Cushion (BFRC) unit that is also inspired by World Superbike competition. Just like the forks, the rear shock has a separate damping force chamber that houses the compression and rebound damping adjusters. By separating them, it again allows the entire damping piston to focus on hydraulic fluid movement. There is also external spring preload adjustment. The result is increased traction and superior shock absorption.
As another direct consequence of Kawasaki’s World Superbike involvement, the 2017 Ninja ZX-10R motorcycle has been fitted with a Brembo® front braking system. This not only includes the very high specification M50 aluminum monobloc four-piston front calipers (with 30mm opposed pistons), but also large 330mm Brembo front rotors. The rotors are cross-drilled and have a circumferential groove in the outer edge to aid heat dissipation. Another feature carried over from the Ninja H2™ platform is the Bridgestone Battlax RS10 tires, which remain the same size as before: 120/70 ZR17 front and 190/55 ZR17 rear.
The 2017 Ninja ZX-10R motorcycle and its ABS-equipped version are both available in Pearl Blizzard White/Metallic Flat Raw Titanium.
The Kawasaki Racing Team (KRT) inspired color and graphics package is available on the 2017 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R, and designed to empower everyday riders with Kawasaki’s long legacy of motorcycle road racing at the world championship level. KRT Editions offer an exclusive look inspired by the WorldSBK racing team and features Lime Green/Ebony bodywork. The 2017 Ninja ZX-10R KRT Edition is available with or without ABS.
Colors: Pearl Blizzard White/Metallic Flat Raw Titanium or KRT Edition Lime Green/Ebony
2017 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS LE www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
– Kawasaki’s powerful engine puts it at the top of its class. With the ultra-smooth power delivery, there’s a sharp acceleration feel in the mid- to high-rpm range. And to help convert the massive power into forward momentum with minimal wheel slip is the latest version of Kawasaki’s traction control system, KTRC.
– Long stroke engine contributes to massive torque at all rpm and substantially more power in the mid-high rpm range with noticeably strong acceleration from 4,000 rpm.
– Cylinder head has milled combustion chambers to boost compression for increased performance.
– Forged pistons match the combustion chamber, are strong and light, and the skirt design helps alleviate stress. Piston cooling jet system continuously sprays oil to the underside of the pistons for better cooling and increased performance.
– Intake ports are hand polished for better flow and increased performance.
– Large diameter exhaust ports help increase performance.
– Wide bypass holes between the chrome-composite plated cylinders reduce pumping loss which contributes to increased performance.
Advanced Electronic Riding Aids
– While the Ninja ZX-14R’s engine performance is intended to be experienced unfiltered, the operator may choose to take advantage of some of the advanced electronic riding aids provided as standard equipment to suit riding conditions or preference.
Kawasaki Traction Control System (KTRC)
– 3-mode system combines the best features of Sport-KTRC from the Ninja ZX-10R and KTRC from the Concours® 14 to help provide maximum traction with some degree of slippage for track riding and rider assurance by facilitating smooth riding on slippery surfaces.
– Modes 1 and 2 control ignition timing like S-KTRC, which uses complex analysis to calculate when traction conditions are about to become unfavorable and act before wheel slippage exceeds the range for optimal traction. Mode 3 has higher sensitivity and controls ignition timing, fuel and air for ultra-smooth operation.
– The system distinguishes between smooth, power front wheel lifts and sudden lift, allowing smooth lift if acceptable acceleration is maintained.
– A switch on the left handlebar switch housing gives the rider the option to turn the system off.
– Allows riders to set power characteristics to suit riding conditions and style. Riders can choose between full power operation or low power, which is approximately 75 percent of full with a milder throttle response.
Ram Air Induction(KP)
– Central Ram Air duct produces a straighter path to the airbox for maximum intake efficiency.
– This system takes cooler, high-pressure air from in front of the fairing and guides it through the air cleaner and into the engine for maximum power output.
Digital Fuel Injection (KP)
– Throttle body assembly with remote idle speed control (ISC) valve eliminates need to adjust idle and lowers emissions during deceleration, allowing smaller catalyzers to be used in the exhaust that contributes to better performance.
– 44mm Mikuni throttle bodies are fitted with Dual Throttle Valves(KP) that are controlled by the ECU to provide precise response and make DFI performance smoother.
– Fuel injector nozzles disperse the finely-atomized fuel over a wider area to help boost power..
– 32-bit electronic control unit works with dual throttle valve system to further enhance throttle response and control.
– Economical Riding Indicator (ECO)(KP) appears on instrument display to indicate when the operator is riding in a manner that results in better fuel efficiency.
High-Flow Exhaust System
– Exhaust system features large-diameter tapered header pipes, collector and large muffler volume.
– Internal construction of the mufflers is designed for maximum exhaust flow.
– Heat and surface treatment on all gears for greater durability and wear resistance.
– Final gearing further accentuates the strong acceleration.
– Back-torque limiting (slipper) clutch prevent rear wheel hop and helps protect drivetrain.
Monocoque Aluminum Frame(KP)
– The frame is a hollow aluminum box that arches over the engine from the steering head to the swing arm pivot. It is narrow, strong, rigid, and light.
– Engine is rigidly mounted to increase the monocoque’s torsional rigidity. Plus using the engine as a stressed frame member decreases the frame’s weight by approximately four pounds.
– Engine positioned forward in the frame, wheelbase and front/rear weight balance were carefully designed to achieve both high-speed stability and responsive handling.
– The monocoque section houses the air box and air filter in a space-saving design that actually simplifies air cleaner maintenance. Two screws hold a plate on the left side of the frame that allows air cleaner access.
– Inverted 43mm Cartridge Type Front Fork(KP)
– Firm damping rates offer stiff initial action to resist front-end dive when braking.
– Rubber damper helps resist harsh bottoming.
– Stepless damping adjustment allows riders to tune suspension performance.
Bottom-Link Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension(KP)
– Gusseted swingarm for increased rigidity.
– Firm damping rates match front suspension.
– Linkage rates provide linear suspension action.
– The bottom-link design concentrates the weight lower in the chassis for a lower center of gravity, which makes the bike more flickable.
– Wind Tunnel-Designed Bodywork
– Imposing front cowl has a aggressive appearance and features the ZX-14R’s unique four-headlight design.
– Standard single seat cover and aggressive tail section.
– Fairing not only has a more dynamic appearance but improves radiator airflow that, combined with a heat guard on the exhaust pipe, helps to significantly reduce heat reaching the rider.
– Instruments enhanced with metal rings around speedometer and tachometer, with “Flying K” logo in center.
– Multi-function button on left handlebar switch housing so that the rider can scroll through the meter functions without removing hand from handlebar.
– Ambient temperature gauge for added convenience.
– Fuel range readout.
– Instrument dials have a dot pattern background for a stylish, high-quality appearance.
– LCD screen can be set with either a black or white background.
– Golden blazed green / metallic spark black (JHF)
– Metallic spark black / golden blazed green (HHF)
2017 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS LE – www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $14999 USD
4-stroke, 4-cylinder, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid-cooled
Bore x Stroke
84.0 x 65.0mm
DFI® w/44mm Mikuni throttle bodies (4)
TCBI, battery powered & electronic advance
6-speed return shift
Electronic Rider Aids
Kawasaki Traction Control (KTRC), Power Mode, ABS
Front Suspension / Wheel Travel
43mm inverted cartridge fork with adjustable preload, 18-way compression and 15-way rebound damping adjustment/4.6 in
Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel
Bottom-link Uni-Trak® and gas-charged shock with adjustable preload, stepless rebound and compression damping adjustments, adjustable ride height/4.9 in
Dual floating 310mm petal discs with dual radial-mounted 4-piston calipers and ABS
Single 250mm petal disc with twin-piston caliper and ABS
Metallic Spark Black/Golden Blazed Green
12 Month Limited Warranty
Kawasaki Protection Plus™ (optional)
12, 24, 36 or 48 months
2017 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS LE – www.Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $17999 CAD
Type 4-stroke, In-Line Four
Bore and stroke 84.0 x 65.0 mm
Compression ratio 12.3:1
Valve system DOHC, 16 valves (4 valves per cylinder)
Fuel system DFI with 44 mm Mikuni Throttle Bodies (4)
Lubrication Forced lubrication (wet sump with cooler)
Front: type Dual semi-floating 310 mm petal discs
Front: calipers Dual radial-mount, opposed 4-piston, 4-pad
Rear: type Single 250 mm petal disc
Rear: calipers Opposed, twin-piston
Overall length 2,170 mm (85.4 in.)
Overall width 770 mm (30.3 in.)
Overall height 1,170 mm (46.1 in.)
Wheelbase 1,480 mm (58.3 in.)
Ground clearance 125 mm (4.9 in.)
Seat height 800 mm (31.5 in.)
Curb mass** 265 kg (584.2 lbs.)
Fuel capacity 22 litres (4.8 gal.)
Transmission 6-speed, return, positive neutral finder
Final drive Sealed chain
Primary reduction ratio 1.556 (84/54)
Gear ratio: 1st 2.611(47/18)
Gear ratio: 2nd 1.947 (37/19)
Gear ratio: 3rd 1.545 (34/22)
Gear ratio: 4th 1.333 (32/24)
Gear ratio: 5th 1.154 (30/26)
Gear ratio: 6th 1.036 (29/28)
Final reduction ratio 2.471 (42/17)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual
Type Monocoque, aluminium
Wheel travel: front 117 mm (4.6 in.)
Tire: front 120/70ZR17M/C (58W)
Wheel travel: rear 124 mm (4.9 in.)
Tire: rear 190/50ZR17M/C (73W)
Caster (rake) 23º
Trail 93 mm (3.7 in.)
Steering angle (left/right) 31º / 31º
Suspension, front 43 mm inverted cartridge fork. with adjustable preload, stepless rebound and compression damping adjustments
Suspension, rear Bottom-Link Uni-Trak and gas-charged shock with adjustable preload, stepless rebound and compression damping adjustments
Warranty 12 months warranty
2017 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS LE – www.Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £NA GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Model Not Available
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).