THE ULTIMATE BLEND.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS Review on Total Motorcycle:
Prepare to experience performance in a way that only a Kawasaki can deliver. The ZX-14R is the ultimate blend of extreme excitement and everyday versitility. Feel at home traversing the mountain roads, or feel the ultimate rush hurtling down the dragstrip.
The Ninja® ZX™-14R ABS SE motorcycle’s ultra-powerful 1,441cc inline four-cylinder engine puts it at the top of its class. Advanced electronics, an innovative monocoque frame and stunning bodywork makes the Ninja ZX-14R ABS SE a sensation you have to see–and feel–to believe.
As the flagship of Kawasaki’s Ninja motorcycle line-up, the Ninja® ZX™-14R ABS utilizes big horsepower in a polished and refined manner for exceptionally smooth power delivery. With additional technologies like ABS brakes and traction control, the Ninja ZX-14R is sure to please a wide range of experienced riders and riding styles.
THE WORLD DOMINANT NINJA® ZX™-14R, NINJA® ZX™-10R AND NINJA® ZX™-6R MOTORCYCLES RETURN
Kawasaki’s Ninja® line of supersport motorcycles has demonstrated domination at the pinnacle of road racing in many divisions, including the FIM Superbike World Championship (WorldSBK) in 2013, 2014, and 2016 with the Ninja® ZX™-10R. Pure performance also translated into the 2015 and 2016 FIM Supersport World Championship series with the Ninja® ZX™-6R. The proven performance on the racetrack remains undeniable and has allowed Kawasaki engineers to deliver the thrill of racetrack precision to the streets with its sportbikes.
For 2018, the Kawasaki Ninja® ZX™-14R ABS SE will continue to reign as “King” of the Ninja® motorcycles with its powerful 1,441cc DOHC inline-four engine. The most important aspect of a high-performance motorcycle is the ease with which a rider can control it. That is where the Ninja ZX-14R shines. It is equipped with two power levels and a three-mode Kawasaki Traction Control (KTRC) system that can easily be turned on or off with switches.
The Ninja ZX-14R motorcycle is also available with ABS. The ABS-equipped version is capable of riding two-up on a back road or putting its power to the ground on a track. It will be available in Emerald Blazed Green/Metallic Carbon Gray and Pearl Storm Gray/Ebony/Candytone Orange color schemes.
The Ninja ZX-10R’s three WorldSBK titles and mind-bending performance makes it one of the most respected liter bikes in the racing paddock. The 998cc four-cylinder engine in the Ninja ZX-10R motorcycle is combined with a state-of-the-art electronics package that is user-friendly and has been developed from insight gained through Kawasaki’s World Superbike experience. The electronics include Kawasaki Engine Brake Control, Kawasaki Launch Control Mode (KLCM), Kawasaki Intelligent anti-lock Braking System (KIBS), Kawasaki Cornering Management Function (KCMF), Sport Kawasaki TRaction Control (S-TRC) and Kawasaki Quick Shifter (KQS).
The 2018 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R motorcycle and its ABS equipped version are both available in Metallic Matte Fusion Silver/Metallic Flat Spark Black. The Kawasaki Racing Team (KRT) inspired color and graphics package is also available on both versions in Lime Green/Ebony/Metallic Graphite Gray.
Just like its big brothers in the supersport lineup, the Ninja ZX-6R features aggressive design elements and a racy appearance that gives riders added confidence out on the streets. The 636cc four-cylinder engine provides the riding experience demanded by the most discerning sportbike riders. The ergonomics have been designed at an angle to promote a comfortable riding position while commuting on city streets or taking on the wide-open racetrack.
The 2018 Ninja ZX-6R motorcycle is available in a Metallic Matte Fusion Silver/Metallic Flat Spark Black paint scheme with or without ABS. The Kawasaki Racing Team (KRT) inspired color and graphics package is available for both versions in Lime Green/Ebony/Metallic Graphite Gray.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
BREMBO BRAKE SYSTEM (SPECIAL EDITION MODEL ONLY)
• DISTINCTIVE, AGGRESSIVE STYLING
• POWERFUL KAWASAKI ENGINE
• MONOCOQUE ALUMINUM FRAME
• ADJUSTABLE POWER MODE
• KAWASAKI TRACTION CONTROL (KTRC) EQUIPPED
2018 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
Brembo Brakes with ABS
• Similar system to that used on the Ninja H2™.
• Radial mounted 4-piston front brake calipers.
• Front brakes feature Brembo M50 cast monoblock calipers with four opposed 30mm pistons that clamp on 310mm Brembo discs for superb
braking force. The outer edges of the discs have grooves down the center of the outer edges to help dissipate heat.
• Brembo radial pump master cylinder and reservoir are calibrated for crankshaft to require very little lever movement to achieve strong front brake force.
• Rear brake features caliper with two 32mm pistons that clamps a 250mm disc.
• Stainless steel braided brake lines contribute to direct feel.
• Smoke-colored brake and clutch master cylinder reservoirs, black anodized reservoir brackets and other added accents enhance cockpit appearance.
SPECIAL EDITION MODEL
Kawasaki’s powerful engine puts it at the top of its class. With the ultra-smooth power delivery, there’s a sharp acceleration feel in the mid- to high-rpm range. And to help convert the massive power into forward momentum with minimal wheel slip is the latest version of Kawasaki’s traction control system, KTRC.
• Long stroke engine contributes to massive torque at all rpm and substantially more power in the midhigh rpm range with noticeably strong acceleration from 4,000 rpm.
• Cylinder head has milled combustion chambers to boost compression for increased performance.
• Forged pistons match the combustion chamber, are strong and light, and the skirt design helps alleviate stress. Piston cooling jet system continuously sprays oil to the underside of the pistons for better cooling and increased performance.
• Intake ports are hand polished for better flow and increased performance.
• Large diameter exhaust ports help increase performance.
• Wide bypass holes between the chrome-composite plated cylinders reduce pumping loss which contributes to increased performance.
Advanced Electronic Riding Aids
While the Ninja ZX-14R’s engine performance is intended to be experienced unfiltered, the operator may choose to take advantage of some of the advanced electronic riding aids provided as standard equipment to suit riding conditions or preference.
Kawasaki Traction Control System (KTRC)
• 3-mode system combines the best features of Sport-KTRC from the Ninja ZX-10R and KTRC from the Concours® 14 to help provide maximum
traction with some degree of slippage for track riding and rider assurance by facilitating smooth riding on slippery surfaces.
• Modes 1 and 2 control ignition timing like S-KTRC, which uses complex analysis to calculate when traction conditions are about to become unfavorable and act before wheel slippage exceeds the range for optimal traction. Mode 3 has higher sensitivity and controls ignition timing, fuel and air for ultra-smooth operation.
• The system distinguishes between smooth, power front wheel lifts and sudden lift, allowing smooth lift if acceptable acceleration is maintained.
• A switch on the left handlebar switch housing gives the rider the option to turn the system off.
• Allows riders to set power characteristics to suit riding conditions and style. Riders can choose between full power operation or low power, which is approximately 75 percent of full with a milder throttle response.
Ram Air Induction(KP)
• Central Ram Air duct produces a straighter path to the airbox for maximum intake efficiency.
• This system takes cooler, high-pressure air from in front of the fairing and guides it through the air cleaner and into the engine for maximum power output.
Digital Fuel Injection (KP)
• Throttle body assembly with remote idle speed control (ISC) valve eliminates need to adjust idle and lowers emissions during deceleration, allowing smaller catalyzers to be used in the exhaust that contributes to better performance.
• 44mm Mikuni throttle bodies are fitted with Dual Throttle Valves(KP) that are controlled by the ECU to provide precise response and make DFI performance smoother.
• Fuel injector nozzles disperse the finely-atomized fuel over a wider area to help boost power..
• 32-bit electronic control unit works with dual throttle valve system to further enhance throttle response and control.
• Economical Riding Indicator (ECO)(KP) appears on instrument display to indicate when the operator is riding in a manner that results in better fuel efficiency.
High-Flow Exhaust System
• Exhaust system features large-diameter tapered header pipes, collector and large muffler volume.
• Internal construction of the mufflers is designed for maximum exhaust flow.
• Heat and surface treatment on all gears for greater durability and wear resistance.
• Final gearing further accentuates the strong acceleration.
• Back-torque limiting (slipper) clutch prevent rear wheel hop and helps protect drivetrain. Monocoque Aluminum Frame(KP)
• The frame is a hollow aluminum box that arches over the engine from the steering head to the swing arm pivot. It is narrow, strong, rigid, and
• Engine is rigidly mounted to increase the monocoque’s torsional rigidity. Plus using the engine as a stressed frame member decreases the frame’s weight by approximately four pounds.
• Engine positioned forward in the frame, wheelbase and front/rear weight balance were carefully designed to achieve both high-speed
stability and responsive handling.
• The monocoque section houses the air box and air filter in a space-saving design that actually
simplifies air cleaner maintenance. Two screws hold a plate on the left side of the frame that allows air cleaner access.
Inverted 43mm Cartridge Type Front Fork(KP)
• Firm damping rates offer stiff initial action to resist front-end dive when braking.
• Rubber damper helps resist harsh bottoming.
• Stepless damping adjustment allows riders to tune suspension performance. Bottom-Link Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension(KP)
• Gusseted swingarm for increased rigidity.
• Firm damping rates match front suspension.
• Linkage rates provide linear suspension action.
• The bottom-link design concentrates the weight lower in the chassis for a lower center of gravity, which makes the bike more flickable.
Wind Tunnel-Designed Bodywork
• Imposing front cowl has a aggressive appearance and features the ZX-14R’s unique four-headlight design.
• Standard single seat cover and aggressive tail section.
• Fairing not only has a more dynamic appearance but improves radiator airflow that, combined with a heat guard on the exhaust pipe, helps to significantly reduce heat reaching the rider.
• Instruments enhanced with metal rings around speedometer and tachometer, with “Flying K” logo in center.
• Multi-function button on left handlebar switch housing so that the rider can scroll through the meter functions without removing hand from handlebar.
• Ambient temperature gauge for added convenience.
• Fuel range readout.
• Instrument dials have a dot pattern background for a stylish, high-quality appearance.
• LCD screen can be set with either a black or white background.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $15,499 USD
See 2018 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS SE as it is the same model.
2018 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $17,999 CDN
Type 4-stroke, In-Line Four
Bore and stroke 84.0 x 65.0 mm
Compression ratio 12.3:1
Valve system DOHC, 16 valves (4 valves per cylinder)
Fuel system DFI with 44 mm Mikuni Throttle Bodies (4)
Lubrication Forced lubrication (wet sump with cooler)
Front: type Dual semi-floating 310 mm petal discs
Front: calipers Dual radial-mount, opposed 4-piston, 4-pad
Rear: type Single 250 mm petal disc
Rear: calipers Opposed, twin-piston
Overall length 2,170 mm (85.4 in.)
Overall width 770 mm (30.3 in.)
Overall height 1,170 mm (46.1 in.)
Wheelbase 1,480 mm (58.3 in.)
Ground clearance 125 mm (4.9 in.)
Seat height 800 mm (31.5 in.)
Curb mass** 265 kg (584.2 lbs.)
Fuel capacity 22 litres (4.8 gal.)
Transmission 6-speed, return, positive neutral finder
Final drive Sealed chain
Primary reduction ratio 1.556 (84/54)
Gear ratio: 1st 2.611(47/18)
Gear ratio: 2nd 1.947 (37/19)
Gear ratio: 3rd 1.545 (34/22)
Gear ratio: 4th 1.333 (32/24)
Gear ratio: 5th 1.154 (30/26)
Gear ratio: 6th 1.036 (29/28)
Final reduction ratio 2.471 (42/17)
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual
Type Monocoque, aluminium
Wheel travel: front 117 mm (4.6 in.)
Tire: front 120/70ZR17M/C (58W)
Wheel travel: rear 124 mm (4.9 in.)
Tire: rear 190/50ZR17M/C (73W)
Caster (rake) 23º
Trail 93 mm (3.7 in.)
Steering angle (left/right) 31º / 31º
Suspension, front 43 mm inverted cartridge fork. with adjustable preload, stepless rebound and compression damping adjustments
Suspension, rear Bottom-Link Uni-Trak and gas-charged shock with adjustable preload, stepless rebound and compression damping adjustments
Warranty 12 months warranty
2018 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).