TORQUE AND AGILITY PERFECTLY PAIRED.
2018 Yamaha MT-07 Review on Total Motorcycle:
The MT‑07 is where sport, performance, and attitude fuse as one.
Ultimate thrills and fun are forecasted with the MT-07 offering a light weight and power packed package at a great value — now standard with ABS.
Inspired by the Dark Side of Japan, the MT-07 has taken Europe by storm – and is now one of Yamaha’s best-selling bikes of all time. And it’s easy to see why so many riders have chosen to ride this exciting Hyper Naked.
Its compact 689 cc, inline, 2-cylinder ‘crossplane philosophy’ engine is engineered to give you strong, linear torque for thrilling acceleration with outstanding economy.
The bold new body and sharper air intakes reinforce the strong MT family look – and the new seat gives an improved riding position. With refined front and rear suspension, the MT-07’s compact tubular chassis goes exactly where you point it…and takes you straight to the Dark Side of Japan.
The MT-07 is a motorcycle that offers big time fun, affordability and riding enjoyment. This versatile naked roadster offers deep engine torque from its 689 cc parallel twin and a comfortable upright riding position combined with a lightweight, easy-to-handle sport chassis. For 2018 the engineers have upgraded the suspension and redesigned the headlight, taillight and bodywork. The revised MT-07 is the perfect machine for both new and experienced riders alike who are looking for outstanding value in a mid-class sport bike.
For 2018, the MT-07 has been restyled to more closely resemble its bigger MT siblings. Revised aesthetic items include the headlight, front fender, air scoops, taillight, tail section and new colour options.
The ultra-reliable, liquid-cooled, 689cc, inline twin has been designed to provide deep torque in the most frequently used rpm range (3,000 to 6,500 rpm). A single balancer shaft keeps things silky smooth, while the 6-speed transmission with overdrive 6th gear reduces engine rpms at highway speeds.
ABS equipped dual 282 mm discs with 4 piston calipers up front and a 245 mm rear disc with single piston caliper provides piece of mind while braking under pressure or in wet conditions.
2018 Yamaha MT-07 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Compact,Torque-Rich Engine
The MT-07 features a compact 689cc liquid-cooled, inline twin cylinder, DOHC engine that is light, slim, and thrilling to ride. This 270-degree, crossplane crankshaft concept engine provides a unique power character, combining outstanding low- to mid-range torque with strong high-rpm pulling power.
- New MT Family Styling
The MT-07 features a refined new style to match the rest of the MT family, including an angular new headlight, more aggressive intake scoops, a sleeker fuel tank cover, and a new layered tail design featuring a more compact LED taillight.
- Compact Frame Design
A lightweight, high-strength steel frame provides an optimized rigidity balance for nimble, agile handling. The engine is a stressed member of the chassis, with a light, compact main frame design and a total wet weight of only 403 lb.
- Sporty, Responsive Chassis
Updated suspension tuning and overall chassis dimensions are all set to work with the qualities of the compact twin-cylinder engine to achieve a sporty, light and neutral handling character.
- Advanced Instruments
The compact full-LCD instrument panel includes a digital bar-type tachometer display with gear position indicator, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter, clock, instant and average fuel consumption and a range of warning and indicator lights.
New for 2018:
- Updated Adjustable Suspension
For 2018, the MT-07 features heavily revised front and rear suspension settings for a more refined suspension feel. The rear shock also now features adjustable rebound damping in addition to spring preload to fine-tune for rider preferences and road conditions.
- Sleek MT Family Styling
The 2018 MT-07 presents a sleeker, more aggressive style to match the rest of the Hypernaked family, with a more refined sense of quality from every angle.
- New Seat Design
The new seat is longer, with 30 percent more area for additional rider comfort, and blends in with the revised bodywork for a cleaner style.
- New front fork settings
- New rear shock with rebound damping & spring pre-load adjustability
- New radiator side covers
- New passenger & rider seats
- New 60/55 watt headlight & new LED taillight
- New body work (front fender, tank covers, air scoops & tail section covers)
2018 Yamaha MT-07 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Slim, compact, 689cc, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid-cooled, 20 degree inclined, inline twin cylinder engine.
The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low & mid-range torque with very linear throttle response. This engine is not about big specification numbers; it produces approximately 75 hp. & 50 ft. lbs. of torque and is designed to maximize riding fun in the “real world”. • 4-valve, downdraft style combustion chamber with 11.5:1 compression ratio.
- excellent torque output … especially in the low to mid rpm range
- 4-valve design maximizes flow into & out of combustion chamber
- 31.5 mm intake & 26.5 mm exhaust valves
- stainless steel valves feature an Isonite surface treatment & carburized tips for excellent durability & wear resistance
- 42,000 kms. valve adjustment intervals.
- Lightweight hollow camshafts.
- cam profiles & timing accentuate the low to mid-range torque & power in the most commonly used rpm range (3,000 to 6,500 rpm).
- excellent “ride-ability” with linear throttle response
- “CrossPlane Concept” 270 degree crankshaft with an “uneven” firing order.
- design reduces inertia torque while emphasizing linear torque
- design has been optimized to achieve strong torque over a broad rpm range
- CP Concept offers “ride ability that allows the rider to control the machine at will.”
- engine design allows a whole new level of “rider — machine communication”
- Lightweight gear driven “coupling force balancer” reduces engine vibration for excellent comfort.
- “Fracture split” connecting rods feature a “nut less” design.
- lower end “cap” of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; the 2 pieces are “split” apart using a special fracturing process & then precision machined
- design aids in establishing true big end roundness & greater precision in con rod dimensions for excellent durability despite the horsepower loads
- Lightweight, forged, aluminum short skirt pistons.
- lightweight design aids in fast engine response
- reduces mechanical vibration for excellent durability
- Direct ceramic composite plated cylinder uses “liner less” bores.
- ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- Offset cylinder design.
- cylinder is “offset” relative to the crank (toward exhaust side)
- reduces frictional losses between the pistons & cylinder wall during the power stroke for improved power output & excellent fuel economy
- One-piece cylinder & upper crankcase assembly.
- superior engine & chassis rigidity (engine is a stressed member increasing chassis rigidity)
- design reduces weight
- “Closed loop” 38 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system.
- system uses throttle position sensor (TPS) & idle speed controller (ISC)
- 12 hole injectors for optimum fuel atomization
- system is “tuned” to provide excellent “ride ability” & “linear” throttle control.
- “closed loop system” uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- fuel injection benefits include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions
- Compact Electronic Control Unit (ECU).
- utilizes a powerful 32-bit processor for fast control of the injection & ignition processes
- Air box design features dual intakes.
- design reduces intake noise
- viscous paper type air filter is utilized
- Compact, 6-speed transmission.
- Tri-axis design “stacks” input/output shafts to centralize mass
- overall engine size is shorter front to back allowing the engineers the freedom to place the engine in the frame for optimum front to rear weight balance
- transmission ratios are designed to suit the character (torque & power) of the engine
- specially chosen gear ratios means fewer gear changes
- 6th gear is an over drive gear reducing engine rpms at highway speeds for a comfortable ride
- Compact, clutch design with light clutch lever pull.
- Lightweight, vertical flow flat radiator with ring type cooling fan.
- ring type cooling fan pulls more air than a conventional non-ring type design
- left & right rad covers add a stylish highlight
- Liquid-cooled oil cooler.
- maintains consistent lubricant temperatures for extended engine life
- Convenient spin-on type oil filter & easy access drain plug.
- for fast, easy oil changes
- Convenient oil level sight glass.
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- High performance direct ignition coils (ignition coils are built into the spark plug caps).
- reduces weight & complexity
- AC Magneto produces 410 watts of power @ 5,000rpm.
- Stylish, compact, low mounted, 2 into 1 exhaust system.
- triple expansion muffler design with 3-way honeycomb catalyzer reduces exhaust emissions
- low mounted design centralizes mass for excellent handling & a light weight feeling
- Air Injection System (AIS… not ram air) injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions.
- Diamond-type, high tensile steel frame.
- optimized rigidity balance for light, agile handling & excellent stability
- engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame
- Upright, comfortable riding position is a key feature of the MT-07.
- excellent all day rider comfort
- Key chassis geometry figures include:
- 1400mm (55.1″) wheelbase
- 24.5 degrees of rake & 90mm of trail
- front — rear weight distribution is 49.2% front & 50.8% rear
- lean angle is 49 degrees, highlighting the sporty nature of the MT-07
- chassis dimensions & design centralizes mass & lowers centre of gravity for light, agile handling
- Lightweight, high tensile steel “gull wing” type short design swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- Revised, 41mm conventional fork offers 130mm (5.1″) of wheel travel.
- new spring rate & damping force settings for improved suspension performance & comfort
- oil level & amount have been optimized
- Lightweight, aluminum upper & lower triple clamps.
- Revised, adjustable link-type Monocross rear suspension with 130 mm (5.1″) of wheel travel.
- new, horizontally mounted rear shock now includes both rebound & spring pre-load adjustability
- adjustments allows the rider to tailor settings to match rider weight, load & riding conditions
- ABS equipped dual 282mm floating wave-style front discs & ultra-rigid 4-piston monoblock calipers.
- excellent stopping power & control with good lever feedback
- ABS equipped 245mm wave-style rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight single piston slide-type Nissin caliper.
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS).
- controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic braking pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up
- ABS benefits include; excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
- Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke wheels.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension & handling characteristics
- front rim size is MT3.50-17 & rear rim size is MT5.50-17
- Conventional / traditional handlebar design.
- combines with the upright riding position to provide excellent all day riding comfort
- conventional design means the handlebar can be easily changed to a different “bend” if desired
- 14-litre fuel tank with new, more stylish replaceable covers.
- slim design with great knee grip
- slim design combines with low seat height for a light, agile feel & increased rider confidence
- reserve portion of the tank is 2.7 litres (low fuel light illuminates)
- steel tank covered by all new, easy to replace plastic panels, significantly reducing costs in the event of damage
- New, larger more stylish, separate rider & passenger seats. Rider seat height is 805 mm (31.7″).
- excellent comfort & support
- rear seat can be removed & replaced by optional Genuine Yamaha Accessory rear seat cowl
- Compact, liquid crystal multi-function digital meter.
- functions (all digital) include: bar-style tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter (counts kilometers since fuel went on reserve), clock, gear indicator, instant & average fuel consumption, intake air temperature & coolant temperature
- full range of warning & indicator lights
- background illumination is adjustable
- Compact handlebar switch gear.
- starting function is integrated into the engine kill switch
- passing high beam flash button is provided
- Newly designed, one piece, multi-reflector 60/55 watt halogen headlight.
- new design with lower winglet enhances the naked roadster styling
- Newly designed LED taillight.
- new design features 24 LED for excellent visibility
- New, more stylish body work.
- new, single piece front fender design
- new, 3 piece fuel tank shrouds
- new, air scoop design
- new, tail section bodywork
- new, side rad shrouds
- 5-position adjustable front brake lever
- fold out under seat bungee cord fastener straps
- lockable steering
- durable “O” ring drive chain
- 1 piece chain guard & inner rear fender
- excessive lean angle engine cut-out switch (if unit is on its side the engine will shut down)
- low-maintenance sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
- Yamaha diagnostic tool connector can significantly reduce diagnostic time in the event of a problem
2018 Yamaha MT-07 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $7,599 USD
Engine Type 689cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 8 valves
Bore x Stroke 80.0mm x 68.6mm
Compression Ratio 11.5:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel injection
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 6-speed; multiplate clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front 41mm telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock, adjustable preload and rebound
damping; 5.1-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual 282mm hydraulic disc; ABS
Brakes / Rear 245mm hydraulic disc; ABS
Tires / Front 120/70ZR17
Tires / Rear 180/55ZR17
L x W x H 82.1 in x 29,3 in x 42.9 in
Seat Height 31.7 in
Wheelbase 55.1 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 24.8°
Trail 3.5 in
Maximum Ground Clearance 5.5 in
Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
Fuel Economy 58 mpg
Wet Weight 403 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue; Matte Gray; Intensity White
2018 Yamaha MT-07 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $8,299 CDN
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valves (4-valves/cylinder), inline twin cylinder
Bore and Stroke
80 x 68.6 mm
6.9 kg-m (50 ft-lbs.) @ 6,500 rpm
Mikuni 38 mm dual bore throttle body F.I.
Estimated Fuel Consumption±
24.5 kpl / 69.2 mpg (Imp.)
Ignition / Starting
TCI / Electric
41mm fork / 130mm (5.1″) wheel travel
Adjustable link Monocross / 130mm (5.1″) wheel travel
Dual 282mm discs / 4-piston calipers / ABS equipped
245mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped
Rake / Trail
24.5° / 90mm
140 mm (5.5″)
14 litres (3.1 imp. gallons)
183 kg (403 lb.)
Matte Metallic Gray
Bluish Pearl White
2018 Yamaha MT-07 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ See Dealer for Pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine type 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valves
Displacement 689 cm³
Bore x stroke 80.0 mm x 68.6 mm
Compression ratio 11.5 : 1
Maximum power 55.0 kW (74.8PS) @ 9,000 rpm
Limited power version 35.0 kW
Maximum torque 68.0 Nm (6.9 kg-m) @ 6,500 rpm
Lubrication system Wet sump
Clutch type Wet, Multiple Disc
Fuel system Fuel Injection
Ignition system TCI
Starter system Electric
Transmission system Constant Mesh, 6-speed
Final transmission Chain
Fuel consumption 4.3 l/100km
CO2 emission 100 g/km
Front suspension system Telescopic forks
Front travel 130 mm
Caster angle 24º 50
Trail 90 mm
Rear suspension system Swingarm, (Link type suspension)
Rear travel 130 mm
Front brake Hydraulic dual disc, Ø 282 mm
Rear brake Hydraulic single disc, Ø 245 mm
Front tyre 120/70 ZR 17M/C(58W) (Tubeless)
Rear tyre 180/55 ZR 17M/C(73W) (Tubeless)
Overall length 2,085 mm
Overall width 745 mm
Overall height 1,090 mm
Seat height 805 mm
Wheel base 1,400 mm
Minimum ground clearance 140 mm
Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank) 182 kg
Fuel tank capacity 14 L
Oil tank capacity 3.0 L
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).