X‑FACTOR FOR X‑COUNTRY.
2019 Yamaha YZ250FX:
It’s light. It’s powerful. It’s engineered to dominate cross-country.
With electric start, an 18‑inch wheel, a wide ratio 6‑speed gear box, the YZ250FX is a powerfully‑built, lightweight machine engineered for cross‑country victory.
The high-flying, high-paced action of motocross is not for everyone. As a result, the slightly less intense world of cross country / hare scramble racing is a popular alternative. The YZ250FX is a cross-country-focused model with the performance potential of the YZ250F. If you are serious about winning, the YZ250FX could be the machine for you.
The YZ250FX uses the reversed-cylinder, rearward-slanted engine from the previous-gen YZ250F with modified fuel injection settings, electric start and a 6-speed transmission.
Featuring a KYB speed-sensitive fork and fully adjustable KYB rear shock, the FX uses the same suspension as its MX cousin with softer settings and slightly more rear wheel travel. Also included is a lightweight aluminum side stand, adjustable handlebar and an 18-inch rear wheel. .
2019 Yamaha YZ250FX Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Innovative Hare Scramble/GNCC® Engine Design
Based on the championship-winning YZ250F™, featuring Yamaha’s revolutionary rearward slanted, liquid-cooled, DOHC 4-stroke power plant with forward-positioned straight downdraft symmetrical intake, and with an added sixth gear and wide ratio transmission, the YZ250FX™ is an “out-of-the-box” Hare Scrambles/GNCC® competition machine.
- High-Spec Engine
The engine is based on the YZ250F, and includes all the same race-winning features: an updated cylinder head, lightweight forged, two-ring, flat-top piston; a shorter, more durable piston pin with diamond like carbon (DLC) coating; a revised piston oil jet, and advanced connecting rod, crankshaft, and counterbalancer designs. Together, the result is improved peak power, power delivery and overall durability.
- 6-Speed Transmission
A wide-ratio 6-speed transmission is used to insure the right gear is available for the wide variety of terrain found in cross-country racing.
- Tuned Chassis
Nearly the same bilateral beam frame that is found on the championship winning YZ250F is used on the YZ250FX. The forged section at the swingarm pivot and engine mounting brackets help develop nimble lightweight feeling in the tight technical terrain while still providing stability in fast sections.
- Advanced Suspension
Industry-leading, fully adjustable KYB® spring-type fork with speed sensitive damping features revised valving for improved suspension feel and balance. The linkage type rear suspension features a KYB rear shock with settings optimized for cross country racing.
- Cross Country Features
With the electric starting system, a 2-gallon fuel tank, rugged plastic skid plate, 18-inch rear wheel and XC racing tires, the YZ250FX is ready to win right out of the box.
2019 Yamaha YZ250FX Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Latest-generation YZ250F-based, rear-slanting engine and bilateral beam chassis
- Forward-mounted fuel injection and wraparound exhaust
- Electric starting
- YZ-based, fully adjustable KYB suspension
- 18-inch rear wheel
- Adjustable handlebar
- GYTR Power Tuner compatible
- “Reversed” liquid-cooled, 250 cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single-cylinder engine with fuel injection. The engine has been tuned for excellent rideability and controllability and delivers a broad, easy-to-use powerband with excellent power characteristics throughout the rev range. 2018 model changes improve power delivery in both low-to-mid and mid-to-top-end performance.
- Rearward-slanted, reversed cylinder design.
- rearward slant moves a significant amount of rotating weight toward the centre of the chassis
rearward-slanted cylinder centralizes mass for excellent handling and a light, agile feel
- “Reversed” engine design (FI system is front-mounted, exhaust exits from rear of cylinder).
- forward-mounted FI provides straight intake path into the cylinder and provides optimum fuel/ air filling and flow for excellent power
- front mounted intake design keeps fuel cooler since engine heat has less effect on incoming fuel (cooler fuel is more dense and increases power)
- design also helps centralize mass for light, agile handling
- Electric start with auto decompression system. Unit can be re-started in any gear.
NOTE: kick starter has been discontinued/removed (available as an accessory).
- there is no main ignition switch on this model
- electric start button (RHS handlebar) activates the entire electrical system
- kill switch (LHS handlebar), if held for a few seconds, shuts down entire electrical system
- removal of kick starter and related gears etc. reduces weight
- Lightweight titanium valves and revised load optimized valve springs.
- titanium valves reduce reciprocating weight and allow for a higher rpm limit before valve float
- titanium valves means a fast-revving engine with smooth power delivery
- 31 mm titanium intake valves and 25 mm titanium exhaust valves
- Automatic cam chain tensioner.
- reduces maintenance
- special cam chain “sliders” reduce internal friction losses
- Lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston.
- light flat-top piston features lateral ribs on both sides of the piston pin area
- single compression ring and specially designed oil control ring increases surface contact area for optimal sealing
- 2-ring design decreases sliding resistance, reduces weight and provides faster throttle response
- Lightweight piston pin features a diamond-like coating (DLC) to reduce friction.
- Piston oil cooler jet nozzle directs oil to the desired portion of the cylinder and underside of piston.
- reduces piston, cylinder and rod temperatures for excellent durability
- “Liner-less” lightweight aluminum cylinder with ceramic composite coating.
- ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the need for a liner and reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between cylinder and piston, reducing friction and increasing power
- Cylinder and crankcase “cutaways” allow air “trapped” under the piston to enter special chambers or cutaways.
- reduces horsepower-robbing “pumping losses”
- crankcase cutaways match cylinder cutaways for maximum efficiency
- Ball-bearing-style crankshaft.
- bronze thrust washers located between crank webs and rod
- heat-treated for strength and durability
- balance ratio of the crank has been optimized for minimal vibration and good torque feeling
- Nickel-chromium-molybdenum connecting rod.
- excellent strength and durability
- Lightweight, gear-driven counter balancer shaft.
- reduces vibration for improved rider comfort and less rider fatigue
- 6-speed transmission utilizes a 2-bar, floating shift guide system and a 14 mm shift shaft.
- Heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch features a quick access magnesium outer cover.
- low-friction bushing on actuation arm reduces lever pull effort
- clutch is designed for the rigours of cross-country
- outer cover provides fast and easy clutch access
- 44mm Keihin throttle body fuel injection system.
- 10-hole injector
- maximizes fuel atomization for optimal combustion and excellent power delivery
- FI benefits include automatic adjustments to insure the optimum fuel – air ratio regardless of outside air temperature and altitude
- other benefits include excellent starting and excellent throttle response
- cold start knob also doubles as an idle adjuster
- Handlebar-mounted engine trouble and low fuel warning lights.
- Optional, compact, hand held “GYTR Power Tuner” allows tailoring of both fuel injection duration and ignition mapping.
- 9 different setting points can be accessed for both fuel duration and ignition maps
- maps can be stored and shared with other Power Tuners if desired
- easy-access GYTR Power Tuner connector port
- Forward-mounted air box features a washable, dual-stage, foam air filter.
- airbox cover features flush mounted quick release fasteners
- no tools required to access air filter
- washable foam filter reduces tune up costs
- Wet sump lubrication system.
- reduces weight (no remote oil tank or oil lines)
- eases maintenance (easier and faster oil changes)
- oil volume is optimized to reduce oil related drag and weight
- Easy access “cartridge-type” oil filter.
- Compact, lightweight, single-core, YZ250F-based dual radiators.
- outstanding cooling efficiency
- pre-wired for accessory cooling fan—fits on right side rad only
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- High-capacity AC magneto eliminates need for a battery.
- Wrap-around exhaust system to match head, cam and intake.
- exhaust exits from the rear of the engine and circles cylinder body
- wrap-around design ensures the optimum tuned header length
- maximizes exhaust “pulse effect” for excellent power delivery
- centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre of the chassis
- Lightweight, aluminum, re-packable muffler (aka silencer).
- sound output is 94 dB meeting AMA regulations
- Works-style, race-spec “barrel adjuster” for on-the-fly clutch lever free play adjustments.
- Heavy-duty plastic engine skid plate
- Excessive lean angle sensor
- Will shut down the engine if the bike lays on its side
- helps prevent costly engine damage
- Compact bilateral beam aluminum frame.
- frame design centralizes mass for exceptional handling and agility
- frame offers an optimum balance between strength, rigidity and tuned flex, plus excellent shock absorbing qualities
- frame design offers excellent rider-machine communication (a.k.a. feedback)
- Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction and control
- large 25 mm rear axle
- Lightweight detachable rear sub frame.
- constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends
- allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components
- YZ250F-based, 48 mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba “SSS” cartridge fork offers 310 mm (12.2″) of wheel travel.
- fork seal design features a scraper for better cleaning performance in muddy conditions
- valving and settings are optimized for cross-country racing
- front fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping
- optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts.
- Fork features a twin-chamber, “Speed Sensitive System” design
- damper unit is in a separate structure (completely separated air and oil chambers)
- helps prevent aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and degrading its damping abilities
- since the inner damper is pressurized; it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil
- Fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV).
- TCV enhances damping from mid to full stroke and improves bottoming characteristics
- TCV offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke
- TCV is located on the upside of the spring and its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term “Speed Sensitive System fork”.
- Large “wrap-around” plastic fork protectors provide excellent lower fork tube protection.
- “self-supporting” design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
- YZ250F-based, Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable Kayaba piggyback shock with 318 mm (12.5″) of wheel travel.
- valving and settings are optimized for cross-country racing
- shock features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping
- shock adjustments include: threaded spring preload, 20-way low-speed compression damping, 2 turns of high speed compression damping and 30-way rebound damping
- Adjustable handlebar holders offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30mm.
- suits wide variety of rider sizes
- handlebar holders are rubber mounted for reduced vibration and improved rider comfort
- Large 270mm floating front “wave-style” disc and compact Nissin twin-piston caliper.
- wave disc design reduces weight and improves cooling
- high-friction brake pads
- excellent braking performance
- “Shorty-style” adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes.
- 245 mm rear disc brake uses a “wave-style” disc and single piston Nissin caliper and Nissin master cylinder.
- Rear caliper and lower portion of the disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors.
- Lightweight, plastic resin 7.5 litre fuel tank is located under the seat.
- reduces centre of gravity and centralizes mass for exceptional handling performance
- tank can be flipped on its back without disconnecting fuel line (easy servicing under the tank)
- compact in-tank electric fuel pump
- Handlebar-mounted engine trouble and low fuel warning lights
- Compact bodywork.
- minimizes weight and enhances the lightweight feel and look of the YZ250FX
- flat design, “minimal” bodywork allows for fast, easy rider movements and a natural riding position
- minimal design aids in keeping the body looking good (less plastic to scratch or damage)
- graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds and will not peel off or get damaged by pressure washing
- Flat seat design.
- provides easy rider movements
- features a “cap cover” to access the fuel cap
- non-slip seat cover material resists clogging with dirt or mud
- Rugged, 21″ (1.60 x 21) front and 18″ (1.85 x 18) D.I.D. rear rims.
- excellent durability
- reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance and handling
- 18″ rear wheel improves puncture resistance (Vs. 19″ designs)
- Dunlop AT81 tires
- Convenient oil level sight glass
- Lightweight, extra wide foot pegs
- Folding shift lever tip helps prevent damage
- Lightweight chain guide / support helps reduce chance of chain derailment and helps protect rear sprocket
- Heavy duty rubber swingarm protector (chain)
- Heavy duty sealed “O” ring drive chain
- Clutch cable features integrated silicone grease and Teflon liner for smooth cable operation
- Easy access GYTR Power Tuner and Yamaha Diagnostic tool connectors
- Sealed, no spill, gel type, low maintenance battery (note: any motorcycle battery must be regularly charged during winter storage)
2019 Yamaha YZ250FX – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $7999 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $9199 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Australia MSRP Price: See Dealer for Pricing in AU
Engine Type 250cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 titanium valves
Bore x Stroke 77.0mm x 53.6mm
Compression Ratio 13.5:1
Fuel Delivery Keihin® fuel injection, 44mm
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission Wide-ratio constant-mesh 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive O-ring chain
Suspension / Front KYB® spring-type fork with speed sensitive
damping; fully adjustable, 12.2-in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® single shock; fully adjustable, 12.5-in travel
Brakes / Front Hydraulic disc, 270mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 245mm
Tires / Front 90/90-21 Dunlop® AT81F
Tires / Rear 110/100-18 Dunlop® AT81
L x W x H 85.2 in x 32.5 in x 50.4 in
Seat Height 38.0 in
Wheelbase 57.7 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 26.3°
Trail 4.5 in
Ground Clearance 12.8 in
Fuel Capacity 2.0 gal
Wet Weight 249 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2019 Yamaha YZ250FX – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single|
|Bore and Stroke|
|77 x 53.6 mm|
|44 mm Keihin throttle body F.I.|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|Wide ratio 6-speed transmission|
primary ratio 3.353 (57/17)
secondary ratio 3.923 (51/13)
1st gear – 2.385 (31/13)
2nd gear – 1.813 (29/16)
3rd gear – 1.444 (26/18)
4th gear – 1.143 (24/21)
5th gear – 0.957 (22/23)
6th gear – 0.815 (22/27)
|“O” ring chain|
|Adj. 48 mm, inverted fork / 310 mm (12.2″) wheel travel|
|Fully adj. Monocross / 318 mm (12.5″) wheel travel|
|270 mm, floating disc / twin piston caliper|
|245 mm disc / single piston caliper|
|2,165 mm (85.2″)|
|825 mm (32.5″)|
|1,280 mm (50.4″)|
|1,465 mm (57.7″)|
|325 mm (12.8″)|
|965 mm (38″)|
|7.5 litres (1.7 imp. gallons)|
|113 kg (249 lb)|
|Yamaha Racing Blue|
2019 Yamaha YZ250FX – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
2019 Yamaha YZ250FX – Totalmotorcycle.com Australian Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).