2020 Yamaha MT-07:
A light weight and torque inspired twin cylinder at a great value inviting you to experience the thrills of the dark side.
The MT-07 offers big time fun, affordability and riding enjoyment. This versatile naked roadster offers deep engine torque from its 689 cc parallel twin and a comfortable upright riding position combined with a lightweight, easy-to-handle sport chassis. The perfect machine for both new and experienced riders alike who are looking for outstanding value in a mid-class sport bike.
The MT-07 was restyled in 2018 to more closely resemble its bigger MT siblings. The Ice Fluo (pictured), Tech Black and Yamaha Racing Blue colour options are the perfect complement to the MT-07’s minimal, naked design.
The ultra-reliable, liquid-cooled, 689 cc inline twin has been designed to provide deep torque in the most frequently used rpm range (3,000 to 6,500 rpm). A single balancer shaft keeps things silky smooth, while the 6-speed transmission with overdrive 6th gear reduces engine rpm at highway speeds.
2020 Yamaha MT-07 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
Compact,Torque- Rich Engine
The MT-07 features a 689cc liquid-cooled twin-cylinder engine that is light, slim, and thrilling to ride. This 270-degree crossplane crankshaft concept engine provides a unique power character, combining outstanding low- to mid-range torque with strong high- rpm pulling power.
MT Family Styling
The MT-07 features a refined style to match the rest of the MT family, including an angular headlight, aggressive intake scoops, a sleek fuel tank cover, and a layered tail design featuring a bright LED taillight.
Narrow Frame Design
A strong, lightweight steel frame provides an optimized rigidity balance for nimble, agile handling. The engine is a stressed member of the compact chassis, resulting in a total wet weight of only 403 lb.
Sporty, Responsive Chassis
Suspension tuning and overall chassis dimensions are all set to work with the qualities of the compact twin-cylinder engine to achieve a sporty, light and neutral handling character.
The compact full-LCD instrument panel includes a digital bar-type tachometer display with gear position indicator, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter, clock, instant and average fuel consumption and a range of warning and indicator lights.
2020 Yamaha MT-07 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Slim, compact, 689 cc, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid-cooled, 20-degree inclined, inline twin-cylinder engine.
The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low & mid-range torque with very linear throttle response. This engine produces approximately 75 hp & 50 ft-lbs. of torque and is designed to maximize riding fun in the real world.
- 4-valve, downdraft-style combustion chamber with 11.5:1 compression ratio.
- excellent torque output in the low-to-mid rpm range
- 4-valve design maximizes flow into & out of combustion chamber
- 31.5 mm intake & 26.5 mm exhaust valves
- stainless steel valves feature an Isonite surface treatment & carburized tips for excellent durability & wear resistance
- 42,000 km-valve adjustment intervals.
- Lightweight hollow camshafts.
- cam profiles & timing accentuate the low-to-mid-range torque & power in the most commonly used rpm range (3,000 to 6,500 rpm).
- excellent rideability with linear throttle response
- CP3 “CrossPlane Concept” 270-degree crankshaft with an uneven firing order.
- design reduces inertia torque while emphasizing linear torque
- design has been optimized to achieve strong torque over a broad rpm range
- Lightweight, gear-driven “coupling force balancer” reduces engine vibration for excellent comfort.
- Fracture split connecting rods feature a “nutless” design.
- lower end “cap” of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; the 2 pieces are “split” apart using a special fracturing process & then precision machined
- design aids in establishing true big end roundness & greater precision in con rod dimensions for excellent durability despite the horsepower loads
- Lightweight, forged, aluminum short skirt pistons.
- lightweight design aids in fast engine response
- reduces mechanical vibration for excellent durability
- Direct ceramic composite plated cylinder uses “liner less” bores.
- ceramic coating is sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- Offset cylinder design.
- cylinder is “offset” relative to the crank (toward exhaust side)
- reduces frictional losses between the pistons & cylinder wall during the power stroke for improved power output & excellent fuel economy
- One-piece cylinder & upper crankcase assembly.
- superior engine & chassis rigidity (engine is a stressed member increasing chassis rigidity)
- design reduces weight
- “Closed-loop” 38 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system.
- system uses throttle position sensor (TPS) & idle speed controller (ISC)
- 12-hole injectors for optimum fuel atomization
- system is “tuned” to provide excellent rideability & linear throttle control.
- closed-loop system” uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- Compact Electronic Control Unit (ECU).
- utilizes a powerful 32-bit processor for fast control of the injection & ignition processes
- Airbox design features dual intakes.
- design reduces intake noise
- viscous paper type air filter is utilized
- Compact, 6-speed transmission.
- Tri-axis design “stacks” input/output shafts to centralize mass
- overall engine size is shorter front to back allowing the engineers the freedom to place the engine in the frame for optimum front to rear weight balance
- transmission ratios are designed to suit the character (torque & power) of the engine
- specially chosen gear ratios means fewer gear changes
- 6th gear is an over drive gear reducing engine rpms at highway speeds for a comfortable ride
- Compact, clutch design with light clutch lever pull.
- Lightweight, vertical flow flat radiator with ring type cooling fan.
- ring type cooling fan pulls more air than a conventional non-ring type design
- left & right rad covers add a stylish highlight
- Liquid-cooled oil cooler.
- maintains consistent lubricant temperatures for extended engine life
- Convenient spin-on type oil filter & easy access drain plug.
- for fast, easy oil changes
- Convenient oil level sight glass.
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- High performance direct ignition coils (ignition coils are built into the spark plug caps).
- reduces weight & complexity
- AC Magneto produces 410 watts of power @ 5,000rpm.
- Stylish, compact, low mounted, 2 into 1 exhaust system.
- triple expansion muffler design with 3-way honeycomb catalyzer reduces exhaust emissions
- low mounted design centralizes mass for excellent handling & a light weight feeling
- Air Injection System (AIS… not ram air) injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions.
- Diamond-type, high tensile steel frame.
- optimized rigidity balance for light, agile handling & excellent stability
- engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame
- Upright, comfortable riding position is a key feature of the MT-07.
- excellent all day rider comfort
- Key chassis geometry figures include:
- 1400 mm (55.1″) wheelbase
- 24.5 degrees of rake & 90 mm of trail
- front/rear weight distribution is 49.2% front & 50.8% rear
- lean angle is 49 degrees, highlighting the sporty nature of the MT-07
- chassis dimensions & design centralizes mass & lowers centre of gravity for light, agile handling
- Lightweight, high tensile steel “gull wing” type short design swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- Revised, 41 mm conventional fork offers 130 mm (5.1″) of wheel travel.
- new spring rate & damping force settings for improved suspension performance & comfort
- oil level & amount have been optimized
- Lightweight, aluminum upper & lower triple clamps.
- Adjustable link-type Monocross rear suspension with 130 mm (5.1″) of wheel travel.
- new, horizontally mounted rear shock now includes both rebound & spring preload adjustability
- adjustments allow the rider to tailor settings to match rider weight, load & riding conditions
- ABS equipped dual 282 mm floating wave-style front discs & ultra-rigid 4-piston monoblock calipers.
- excellent stopping power & control with good lever feedback
- ABS equipped 245 mm wave-style rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight single piston slide-type Nissin caliper.
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS).
- controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic braking pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up
- ABS benefits include excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
- Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke wheels.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension & handling characteristics
- front rim size is MT3.50-17 & rear rim size is MT5.50-17
- Conventional handlebar design.
- combines with the upright riding position to provide excellent all day riding comfort
- conventional design means the handlebar can be easily changed to a different “bend” if desired
- 14-litre fuel tank with new, more stylish replaceable covers.
- slim design with great knee grip
- slim design combines with low seat height for a light, agile feel & increased rider confidence
- reserve portion of the tank is 2.7 litres (low fuel light illuminates)
- steel tank covered by easy-to-replace plastic panels, significantly reducing costs in the event of damage
- Larger, more stylish, separate rider & passenger seats. Rider seat height is 805 mm (31.7″).
- excellent comfort & support
- rear seat can be removed & replaced by optional Genuine Yamaha Accessory rear seat cowl
- Compact, LCD multi-function digital meter.
- functions (all digital) include: bar-style tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter (counts kilometers since fuel went on reserve), clock, gear indicator, instant & average fuel consumption, intake air temperature & coolant temperature
- full range of warning & indicator lights
- background illumination is adjustable
- Compact handlebar switch gear.
- starting function is integrated into the engine kill switch
- passing high beam flash button is provided
- One piece, multi-reflector 60/55 watt halogen headlight.
- Design with lower winglet enhances the naked roadster styling
- LED taillight with 24 bulbs for excellent visibility.
- 5-position adjustable front brake lever
- fold out under seat bungee cord fastener straps
- lockable steering
- durable “O” ring drive chain
- 1 piece chain guard & inner rear fender
- excessive lean angle engine cut-out switch (if unit is on its side the engine will shut down)
- low-maintenance sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
- Yamaha diagnostic tool connector can significantly reduce diagnostic time in the event of a problem
2020 Yamaha MT-07 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $8499 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $7599 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 689cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 8 valves
Bore x Stroke 80.0mm x 68.6mm
Compression Ratio 11.5:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel injection
Transmission 6-speed; wet multiplate clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front 41mm telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock, adjustable preload and rebound
damping; 5.1-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual 282mm hydraulic disc; ABS
Brakes / Rear 245mm hydraulic disc; ABS
Tires / Front 120/70ZR17
Tires / Rear 180/55ZR17
L x W x H 82.1 in x 29.3 in x 42.9 in
Seat Height 31.7 in
Wheelbase 55.1 in Rake (Caster Angle) 24.8° Trail 3.5 in
Maximum Ground 5.5 in
Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
Fuel Economy** 58 mpg
Wet Weight*** 403 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Ice Fluo; Matte Raven Black; Team Yamaha Blue
2020 Yamaha MT-07 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valves (4-valves/cylinder), inline twin cylinder|
|Bore and Stroke|
|80 x 68.6 mm|
|6.9 kg-m (50 ft-lbs.) @ 6,500 rpm|
|Mikuni 38 mm dual bore throttle body F.I.|
|Estimated Fuel Consumption±|
|24.5 kpl / 69.2 mpg (Imp.)|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|41mm fork / 130mm (5.1″) wheel travel|
|Adjustable link Monocross / 130mm (5.1″) wheel travel|
|Dual 282mm discs / 4-piston calipers / ABS equipped|
|245mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped|
|Rake / Trail|
|24.5° / 90mm|
|140 mm (5.5″)|
|14 litres (3.1 imp. gallons)|
|183 kg (403 lb.)|
|Yamaha Racing Blue|
2020 Yamaha MT-07 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).