2020 Yamaha WR250F:
The off‑road enhanced trail bike of choice, rooted in legendary YZ250F performance, reliability and design.
The WR250F has been completely revised for 2020 to maintain its status as the machine of choice for top enduro racers and super-fast trail riders. More similar than ever to the industry-leading YZ250F motocrosser and the YZ250FX cross-country racer, the latest WR250F is even better at what it has always been best at – carving through single-track like a hot knife through butter.
Compared to the former WR250F engine, the 2020 design is more powerful at higher rpm and delivers stronger power right through the rev range, making it a serious podium contender out of the box.
The goal for the new WR250F was to provide superior handling and increased steering precision while retaining high speed stability. Using the YZ250F motocrosser’s bilateral beam frame and KYB suspension as the foundation, the WR250F features enduro-specific settings and components for optimized performance in its natural habitat.
This new generation off-road competition machine gives you motocross performance with enduro versatility. Its new high performance engine is developed straight from Yamaha’s ultra-competitive YZ250F unit, and has been refined to give you greater levels of low to mid-range torque with a harder-hitting top end.
For superfast re-starts there’s a compact new electric starter – and the tougher clutch and 6-speed wide-ratio transmission can take on the most arduous terrain. And with onboard WiFi, the intelligent new WR250F can be easily fine-tuned using the Power Tuner app on a smartphone.
When it comes to handling performance the new WR250F is in another league. The new YZ250F-derived lightweight aluminium beam frame gets a revised rigidity balance for razor sharp handling and confident stability – and the industry-leading suspension is further improved for an outstanding ride at all speeds.
At a glance
◾Larger 7.9-litre fuel tank
◾Bigger skid plate
◾Slimline new-look bodywork
◾Lighter and tougher clutch
◾2-mode engine map switch
◾New smartphone engine tuning
◾New sharper-handling aluminium frame
◾Mass-centralised starter motor
◾Wide-ratio 6-speed transmission
Full Features & Techspecs
The new WR250F is ready to shake up the world of enduro and change the way that you look at the 250cc 4-stroke class. Benefitting from the very latest motocross technology and enhanced with a range of enduro-specific features, it’s one of the most exciting bikes of the decade.
2020 Yamaha WR250F Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
NEW FOR 2020
- New engine based on YZ250F, with enduro -specific settings for stronger and longer-lasting pulling power at high rpm
- Free-flow air filter for linear response, reduced resistance and increased reliability
- New stator for reliability at high rpm
- Lighter, tougher clutch with easier lever pull
- Bilateral beam frame based on latest-generation YZ250F motocrosser
- Optimized suspension settings
- Lower, flatter seat with slimmer ergonomics and stiffer seat foam
- Larger skid plate for increased lower engine protection
- Larger 7.9-litre fuel tank
- New forged aluminum sidestand
- Sleek new headlight cowl
- Stronger front axle brackets for improved front-end grip feel
- Lightweight front-wheel speed sensor eliminates the need to remove sensor to remove the wheel
- 35-watt headlight & LED tail light
- Latest-generation YZ250F based rearward-slanting engine
- Forward-mounted fuel injection and mass-centralizing wraparound exhaust
- Electric starting
- 6-speed transmission
- Bilateral beam aluminum frame
- YZ-based, fully adjustable KYB suspension
- 270 mm front & 245 mm rear disc brakes
- 18-inch rear wheel
All-New 2020 WR250F Headlines Yamaha’s September Introduction
Flagship WR450F Model Returns as part of 2020 Dirt Motorcycle Lineup
CYPRESS, Calif. – September 4, 2019 – Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA, today introduced the remainder of the company’s 2020 Dirt Motorcycle models, headlined by an all-new WR250F Enduro machine. Along with the return of the larger-displacement WR450F, this introduction completes the 2020 Yamaha Dirt Motorcycle lineup.
Welcome to the victorYZone
Yamaha Off-Road competition bikes offer the very latest technology and performance features designed to make enthusiasts the best riders possible, win races and help them become one with their machine.
All-New 2020 WR250F
The 2020 Yamaha WR250F is closer than ever to the latest-generation, championship-winning YZ250F and arrives completely revised for precise performance in enduro competition. A combination of linear and tractable power throughout its rev range, pinpoint handling, and clockwork reliability has ingrained the WR250F as a favorite among fast trail riders and racers alike.
High Performance YZ250F-Based Engine
The new WR250F engine is based on the class-leading, fuel-injected YZ250F design, and features a rearward-inclined cylinder and reverse cylinder head. Its airbox is situated in front of the rider with the fuel tank located at the center of the bike – a unique configuration that contributes to the bike’s mass centralization and plays a pivotal role in achieving light and agile handling.
The 2020 WR250F features a new high compression forged aluminum piston, revised valve angle and exhaust cam timing with revised balance factor – all based on the current YZ250F, but with enduro-specific settings to provide enhanced off-road trail performance. That performance is further bolstered by the fitment of a dual electrode spark plug and revised exhaust for 2020.
Compared to the previous WR250F engine, the 2020 design is more powerful at higher rpm, and delivers stronger power through the rev range, making it a serious contender for top honors.
Free-Flowing Air Filter Contributes to Linear Engine Response
A new air filter element features improved airflow with increased reliability and, combined with a revised length of the intake funnel, contributes to an excellent feeling of traction and linear engine power characteristics during acceleration and deceleration. Rubber seals on the center positioning pin increase dust-filtering capability, and a model-specific sound-damping resonator design is also adopted.
Tougher Clutch with Lighter Pull
The 2020 WR250F is equipped with a 6-speed transmission that is designed to handle a wide variety of terrain, from technical rock climbs to full throttle blasting along forest trails. A new lighter and tougher clutch is now mated to the gearbox to match the extreme demands of enduro riding. Featuring new heat resistant friction plates, this durable clutch has a super light lever pull and is built to perform consistently and effectively for long periods in the toughest terrain.
Mass Centralized Starter System
A lightweight starter motor has been repositioned from the front of the engine to just behind the cylinder, contributing to mass centralization. The new system and redesigned one-way clutch reduce drag and horsepower loss – a 60% reduction in load compared to the outgoing model. The kick starter has also been eliminated to save weight.
Sharp Handling YZ250F Bilateral Beam Frame and Optimized Ergonomics
The 2020 WR250F now uses the same bilateral beam frame as the sharp-handling YZ250F. To achieve a rigidity balance with the amount of flex needed for enduro riding, the front engine mount brackets have been altered. Like the changes made to the 2020 YZ250FX, the upper-side engine mounts are the same used on the YZ250F, while two plate-type mounts are used for the front-side of the engine. The result contributes to the machine’s excellent feeling of contact with the ground and offers feedback about the riding surface while still providing a light feel.
Surrounding this fully redesigned chassis, the 2020 WR250F features a new lighter, compact body from front to back, including a larger, 2.2-gallon, mass-centralized fuel tank. The radiator shrouds incorporate a new air duct with a concave shape that not only improves styling but is also narrower for better knee grip and overall rider movement. To further aid rider movement and comfort, the seat height has been reduced and the aluminum tapered handlebars are four-way adjustable.
Industry Leading KYB® Coil Spring Suspension with new Settings
The all-new WR250F runs the same industry-leading, fully adjustable KYB®, SSS coil spring-type forks with speed sensitive damping as the YZ250F, but with model-specific enduro settings to provide optimal comfort and compliance. This suspension is acknowledged to be the best available on a production dirt bike, and responds particularly well during the transition between the compression and rebound strokes.
The outer tubes are the same as the YZ250F and contribute to a secure feeling of ground contact. The diameter of the cartridge cylinder and piston have been increased compared to the outgoing model (24 mm to 25 mm) as has the flow rate of the fork oil. The mid-speed valve (MSV) that provides damping in the mid-speed range has been changed from a coil spring type to a leaf spring type. This mechanism responds to even the slightest amounts of oil flow and delivers excellent damping feel at low speeds.
The rear shock absorber is also based on the YZ250F and features enduro model-specific settings. It features a coil spring with a higher fatigue strength than the current model’s and with an 11.5mm wire diameter achieves a weight reduction of approximately 350 grams. The capacity of the shock reservoir has been increased by 30cc to run cooler and achieve a more stable damping force.
More Protective Skid Plate
The 2020 WR250F features a more protective plastic resin engine guard to help prevent damage to the frame, engine, water pump and hoses when running through ruts or from impacts by kicked up rocks. Also, reducing the size of the open space at the front limits the amount of mud and rocks entering thus reducing additional running weight.
Larger Capacity Fuel Tank
A newly-designed 2.2-gallon plastic resin fuel tank is featured to reduce the frequency of refueling during long-distance rides. The current YZ250F’s tank was used as the developmental base, and the lower portion has been extended downward, toward the center of the bike to improve mass centralization, and to increase the tank’s capacity by 0.5 gallons. A compact fuel pump is another new feature. These changes have made it possible to achieve a slim, compact body design that is identical to the YZ250F without any additional bulk or interference with the riding position.
Flatter, Lower Seat
A redesigned seat with stiffer seat foam is fitted to aid rider maneuverability and to make getting on and off the bike easier. A slimmer design through the shroud/knee contact area helps further improve rider ergonomics.
New Forged Aluminum Side-Stand
A lighter and less obtrusive forged aluminum side-stand is positioned to ensure plenty of ground clearance when riding through ruts. The new stand sits higher and the amount it protrudes from the chassis is reduced which helps prevent snagging. The weight of the stand has also been reduced by about 100g. This is the same as the 2020 model YZ250FX stand design.
Sleek New Headlight Cowl
The WR250F’s new headlight cowl sits lower and closer to the rider. It contributes to centralization of machine mass, reducing steering effort and helps to create a light, agile impression for the machine.
Lightweight Speed Sensor with High-Precision Display
A new lightweight front wheel speed sensor connects to a highly precise, fully featured enduro meter display and, without a speedo drive, makes front wheel changes easier. The system features a pulse wheel and sensor system known for excellent reliability and provides detailed speed information essential for enduro riding and racing.
18-Inch Rear Wheel
The WR250F uses an 18-inch rear wheel for improved comfort and better pinch-flat resistance in rocky and root-filled conditions. Dunlop MX3X tires provide excellent performance and durability, making this new bike ready to race right off the showroom floor.
Main Features Carried Over from Existing WR250F
- Rearward-slanted cylinder design featuring optimized weight distribution
- Wet sump lubrication
- 18-inch rear wheel
- Sealed O-Ring chain
- Lightweight switch free starting system
- Radiator cooling fan
- Lead battery resistant to effects of changes in ambient air temperature
- Headlight, LED tail light
- Speedometer, fuel level warning lamp, engine warning lamp
The 2020 WR250F will be available from Yamaha dealers in October in Team Yamaha Blue for $8,599 MSRP.
2020 Yamaha WR250F Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Latest-gen “reversed” liquid-cooled, 250 cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single-cylinder engine with fuel injection. The engine has been tuned specifically for XC/woods racing with a broad, easy-to-use powerband and excellent power characteristics throughout the rev range.
- Rearward-slanted, reversed cylinder design.
- rearward slant moves a significant amount of rotating weight toward the centre of the chassis
- rearward-slanted cylinder centralizes mass for excellent handling and a light, agile feel
- “Reversed” engine design (FI system is front-mounted, exhaust exits from rear of cylinder).
- forward-mounted FI provides straight intake path into the cylinder and provides optimum fuel/ air filling and flow for excellent power
- front-mounted intake design keeps fuel cooler since engine heat has less effect on incoming fuel (cooler fuel is more dense and increases power)
- design also helps centralize mass for light, agile handling
- Electric start with auto decompression system (no kick starter). Unit can be re-started in any gear.
- there is no main ignition switch on this model
- electric start button (RHS handlebar) activates the entire electrical system
- kill switch (LHS handlebar), if held for a few seconds, shuts down entire electrical system
- Lightweight titanium valves and optimized valve springs.
- titanium valves reduce reciprocating weight and allow for a higher rpm limit before valve float
- titanium valves means a fast-revving engine with smooth power delivery
- 31 mm titanium intake valves and 25 mm titanium exhaust valves
- Automatic cam chain tensioner.
- reduces maintenance
- special cam chain “sliders” reduce internal friction losses
- Lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston.
- light flat-top piston features lateral ribs on both sides of the piston pin area
- single compression ring and specially designed oil control ring increases surface contact area for optimal sealing
- 2-ring design decreases sliding resistance, reduces weight and provides faster throttle response
- Lightweight piston pin features a diamond-like coating (DLC) to reduce friction.
- Piston oil cooler jet nozzle directs oil to the desired portion of the cylinder and underside of piston.
- reduces piston, cylinder and rod temperatures for excellent durability
- “Liner-less” lightweight aluminum cylinder with ceramic composite coating.
- ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the need for a liner and reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between cylinder and piston, reducing friction and increasing power
- Cylinder and crankcase “cutaways” allow air “trapped” under the piston to enter special chambers or cutaways.
- reduces horsepower-robbing “pumping losses”
- crankcase cutaways match cylinder cutaways for maximum efficiency
- Ball-bearing-style crankshaft.
- bronze thrust washers located between crank webs and rod
- heat-treated for strength and durability
- balance ratio of the crank is optimized for minimal vibration and good torque feeling
- Nickel-chromium-molybdenum connecting rod.
- excellent strength and durability
- Lightweight, gear-driven counter balancer shaft.
- reduces vibration for improved rider comfort and less rider fatigue
- 6-speed transmission utilizes a 2-bar, floating shift guide system and a 14 mm shift shaft.
- Heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch features a quick access magnesium outer cover.
- low-friction bushing on actuation arm reduces lever pull effort
- clutch is designed for the rigours of cross-country
- outer cover provides fast and easy clutch access
- 44mm Keihin throttle body fuel injection system.
- 10-hole injector
- maximizes fuel atomization for optimal combustion and excellent power delivery
- FI benefits include automatic adjustments to insure the optimum fuel – air ratio regardless of outside air temperature and altitude
- other benefits include excellent starting and excellent throttle response
- cold start knob also doubles as an idle adjuster
- Handlebar-mounted engine trouble and low fuel warning lights.
- Exclusive Power Tuner app.
- Groundbreaking technology brings the power of the GYTR Power Tuner to your iOS or Android device
- onboard wifi allows adjustment of air/fuel mixture and ignition timing maps based on track conditions
- onboard wifi allows adjustment of air/fuel mixture and ignition timing maps based on track conditions
- record race log information and monitor a range of data such as maintenance and system diagnosis, engine run time and more
- CCU is adopted to accommodate new Power Tuner
- Forward-mounted air box features a washable, dual-stage, foam air filter.
- airbox cover features flush mounted quick release fasteners
- no tools required to access air filter
- washable foam filter reduces tune up costs
- Wet sump lubrication system.
- reduces weight (no remote oil tank or oil lines)
- eases maintenance (easier and faster oil changes)
- oil volume is optimized to reduce oil related drag and weight
- Easy access “cartridge-type” oil filter.
- Compact, lightweight, single-core, YZ250F-based dual radiators.
- outstanding cooling efficiency
- pre-wired for accessory cooling fan – fits on right side rad only
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- High-capacity AC magneto eliminates need for a battery.
- Wrap-around exhaust system to match head, cam and intake.
- exhaust exits from the rear of the engine and circles cylinder body
- wrap-around design ensures the optimum tuned header length
- maximizes exhaust “pulse effect” for excellent power delivery
- centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre of the chassis
- Lightweight, aluminum, re-packable muffler (aka silencer).
- sound output is 94 dB meeting AMA regulations
- Works-style, race-spec “barrel adjuster” for on-the-fly clutch lever free play adjustments.
- Heavy-duty plastic engine skid plate
- Excessive lean angle sensor
- Will shut down the engine if the bike lays on its side
- helps prevent costly engine damage
- Compact bilateral beam aluminum frame.
- frame design centralizes mass for exceptional handling and agility
- frame offers an optimum balance between strength, rigidity and tuned flex, plus excellent shock absorbing qualities
- frame design offers excellent rider-machine communication (a.k.a. feedback)
- Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction and control
- large 25 mm rear axle
- Lightweight detachable rear sub frame.
- constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends
- allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components
- YZ250F-based, 48 mm, adjustable, inverted, Kayaba “SSS” cartridge fork offers 310 mm (12.2″) of wheel travel.
- fork seal design features a scraper for better cleaning performance in muddy conditions
- valving and settings are optimized for cross-country racing
- front fork adjustments include: 20-way compression damping and 20-way rebound damping
- optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts.
- Fork features a twin-chamber, “Speed Sensitive System” design
- damper unit is in a separate structure (completely separated air and oil chambers)
- helps prevent aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly and degrading its damping abilities
- since the inner damper is pressurized; it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil
- Fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV).
- TCV enhances damping from mid to full stroke and improves bottoming characteristics
- TCV offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke
- TCV is located on the upside of the spring and its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term “Speed Sensitive System fork”.
- Large wrap-around plastic fork protectors provide excellent lower fork tube protection.
- self-supporting design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
- YZ250F-based, Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable Kayaba piggyback shock with 317 mm (12.5″) of wheel travel.
- valving and settings are optimized for cross-country racing
- shock features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping
- shock adjustments include: threaded spring preload, 20-way low-speed compression damping, 2 turns of high speed compression damping and 30-way rebound damping
- Adjustable handlebar holders offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30 mm.
- suits wide variety of rider sizes
- handlebar holders are rubber mounted for reduced vibration and improved rider comfort
- Large 270 mm floating front “wave-style” disc and compact Nissin twin-piston caliper.
- wave disc design reduces weight and improves cooling
- high-friction brake pads
- excellent braking performance
- “Shorty-style” adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes.
- 245 mm rear disc brake uses a “wave-style” disc and single piston Nissin caliper and Nissin master cylinder.
- Rear caliper and lower portion of the disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors.
- Lightweight, plastic resin 7.9-litre fuel tank is located under the seat.
- reduces centre of gravity and centralizes mass for exceptional handling performance
- tank can be flipped on its back without disconnecting fuel line (easy servicing under the tank)
- compact in-tank electric fuel pump
- Handlebar-mounted engine trouble and low fuel warning lights
- Compact bodywork.
- minimizes weight and enhances the lightweight feel and look of the WR250F
- flat design, “minimal” bodywork allows for fast, easy rider movements and a natural riding position
- minimal design aids in keeping the body looking good (less plastic to scratch or damage)
- graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds and will not peel off or get damaged by pressure washing
- Flat seat design.
- provides easy rider movements
- features a “cap cover” to access the fuel cap
- non-slip seat cover material resists clogging with dirt or mud
- Rugged 21″ (1.60 x 21) front and 18″ (2.15 x 18) rear rims.
- excellent durability
- reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance and handling
- 18″ rear wheel improves puncture resistance (Vs. 19″ designs)
- Stylish, slim design 35 watt headlight.
- headlight beam is adjustable up & down
Brilliant LED rear taillight.
- Rugged, plastic engine skid plate
- Convenient oil level sight glass
- Lightweight, extra wide foot pegs
- Folding shift lever tip
- Lightweight chain guide / support helps reduce chance of chain derailment & helps protect rear sprocket
- Heavy-duty rubber swingarm protector (chain)
- Heavy-duty sealed “O” ring drive chain
- Easy access Yamaha Diagnostic tool connectors
- Sealed, no-spill, gel type, low maintenance battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
2020 Yamaha WR250F – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $8,599 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $9,999 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 250cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 valves
Bore x Stroke 77.0mm × 53.6mm
Compression Ratio 13.8:1
Fuel Delivery Mikuni® fuel injection, 44mm
Transmission Wide-ratio 6-speed; wet multiplate clutch
Final Drive O-ring chain
Suspension / Front KYB® Speed-Sensitive System inverted fork;
fully adjustable, 12.2-in travel
Suspension / Rear KYB® single shock; fully adjustable, 12.5-in
Brakes / Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 270mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm
Tires / Front 80/100-21
Tires / Rear 110/100-18
L x W x H 85.6 in x 32.5 in x 50.0 in
Seat Height 37.6 in
Wheelbase 58.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 27.2°
Trail 4.6 in
Fuel Capacity 2.2 gal
Wet Weight 254 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue
2020 Yamaha WR250F – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single|
|Bore and Stroke|
|77 x 53.6 mm|
|44 mm Keihin throttle body F.I.|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|Constant mesh, 6-speed|
|Fully adjustable 48 mm inverted fork / 310 mm (12.2″) wheel travel|
|Fully adjustable Monocross / 317 mm (12.5″) wheel travel|
|270 mm, floating wave disc / twin piston caliper|
|245 mm wave disc / single piston caliper|
|2,175 mm (85.6″)|
|825 mm (32.5″)|
|1,270 mm (50″)|
|1,480 mm (58.3″)|
|320 mm (12.6″)|
|955 mm (37.6″)|
|7.9 litres (1.7 Imp. gallons)|
|115 kg (254 lb)|
|Yamaha Racing Blue|
2020 Yamaha WR250F – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Engine type 4-stroke;liquid-cooled;DOHC;4-valves
Bore x stroke 77.0 mm x 53.6 mm
Compression ratio 13.8 : 1
Lubrication system Wet sump
Clutch Type Wet;Multiple Disc
Ignition system TCI
Starter system Electric
Transmission system Constant Mesh;6-speed
Final transmission Chain
Carburettor Electronic Fuel Injection
Front travel 310 mm
Caster Angle 27.3º
Front suspension system KYB® sprint-type fork
Rear suspension system Monoshock
Rear Travel 318 mm
Front brake Single Disc, Ø270 mm
Rear brake Single Disc, Ø245 mm
Front tyre 90/90-21 54M
Rear tyre 130/90-18 69M
Overall length 2,175 mm
Overall width 825 mm
Overall height 1,285 mm
Seat height 970 mm
Wheel base 1,475 mm
Minimum ground clearance 335 mm
Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank) 115 kg
Fuel tank capacity 7.9litres
Oil tank capacity 1.1litres
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).