RESPECT R WORLD.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R6:
Unchallenged supersport dominance with iconic design and a proven AMA Championship winning track record
The YZF-R6 is a legend on the street – and its outstanding record in the WorldSSP Championship shows that it’s also a proven winner on the race track. One ride on this MotoGP-bred racer and you enter the exciting world of Yamaha. R-World!
Since its debut in 1999, the R6 has been the bike of choice for serious 600 class riders and racers. The R6 features a host of great features including ABS brakes with large 320 mm front rotors, 43 mm fully adjustable inverted forks and an R1 inspired body design that is sure to turn heads. The R6 is full of innovation and technology you won’t find on the competitor’s machinery.
Respect R World
Featuring aerodynamic bodywork and an aggressive look that bears all the characteristics of Yamaha’s thoroughbred R-series DNA, the YZF-R6 is the ultimate 600 supersport.
The high-specification 43mm inverted front forks give you enhanced suspension feel and feedback – while its low fuel tank and handlebar position provide excellent rider ergonomics for superb riding comfort and precise control. Answer the call, and enter R-World.
At a glance
◾Ergonomic riding position for optimum control
◾Quick Shift System for clutchless upshifts
◾YZF-R1 type 43mm front forks
◾YCC-T, YCC-I, ABS and D-Mode
◾Slimline CF die cast magnesium rear subframe
◾Aerodynamically efficient front cowl and screen
◾Aggressive face with dual LED position lights
◾6-position switchable TCS
◾Dual 320mm front discs with radial calipers
◾Lightweight 17-litre aluminium fuel tank
With its advanced race-bred technology and aerodynamic body, the YZF-R6 takes 600 supersport design to the extreme. Featuring hidden headlights and predatory LED position lights as well as a central M1-style air intake, the aggressive face underlines the bike’s pure R-series DNA.
Ultra-compact, lightweight, short stroke, 599 cc, DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled, in-line four-cylinder engine with lightweight titanium valves produces incredible horsepower. Redline is set at an amazing 16,000 rpm.
The YZF-R6 features a highly aerodynamic front fairing and windscreen that provides an 8% improvement in aerodynamic efficiency over the previous version. This contributes to a higher top speed during track riding.
The front end features a YZF-R1 based, easy-adjust KYB 43 mm inverted fork and large 320 mm discs with radial mount 4-piston calipers (ABS equipped.)
Aerodynamic style with next generation control.
With its advanced race-bred technology and aerodynamic body, the YZF-R6 takes 600 supersport design to the extreme. Featuring hidden headlights and predatory LED position lights as well as a central M1- style air intake, the aggressive face underlines the bike’s pure R-series DNA.
Its beautifully styled aluminium fuel tank and magnesium subframe contribute towards mass centralization and give a proactive riding position – while the YZF-R1 type front forks combined with a compact rear shock and 320mm dual front discs deliver razor sharp handling and immense braking power.
And to give you the ability to push even harder, the YZFR6 comes with advanced electronics like the 6-mode Traction Control System, as well as a Quick Shifter.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R6 Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- Ultra-compact, 599cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), liquid-cooled, in-line four-cylinder engine
- 16,000 rpm redline
- Yamaha chip controlled throttle (YCC-T) & variable intake stacks (YCC-I)
- 6 – setting traction control system (plus off)
- D-Mode system (3-modes)
- Lightweight Delta Box frame & C.F. die cast magnesium sub-frame
- R1 based KYB 43 mm fully adjustable inverted fork with easy access adjusters (R6 specific settings)
- Fully adjustable KYB piggyback rear shock
- ABS equipped brakes with 320 mm dual front discs with 4-piston calipers
- 17 litre R1 style aluminum fuel tank
- YZF-M1 MotoGP inspired aerodynamic fairing with LED headlights & position lights
- R1 style folding mirrors with integrated LED turn signals
- R1 inspired “flow thru tail” section
- Accessory “quick shifter” ready
- Accessory Communication Control Unit ready (CCU)
Yamaha Introduces 2020 YZF-R3 and YZF-R6 Supersport Motorcycles
Riders can Experience the Exhilaration of R World with Complete Model Lineup
MARIETTA, Ga. – September 4, 2019 – Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA, today introduced 2020 model-year YZF-R3 and YZF-R6 Supersport motorcycles, offering riders more opportunities to experience the exhilaration of R World on the street and track. Today’s introductions, along with the previously announced Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition YZF-R3, and evolutionary YZF-R1 and YZF-R1M models, complete the company’s Supersport lineup for 2020.
Welcome to R World
Yamaha has a rich heritage of building the most sought after Supersport motorcycles designed to deliver the pinnacle of performance on and off the track. From the rider-friendly YZF-R3 to the competition-focused YZF-R1M, the Yamaha R-series model lineup provides options for riders of all skill levels to experience the pure exhilaration of R World.
2020 YZF-R3 – R World is Calling
The YZF-R3 (R3) is the ultimate entry-level Supersport bike with Yamaha’s iconic aggressive design and outstanding performance, making it the perfect choice for first-time riders or experienced sportbike pilots who prefer a lightweight, nimble machine.
Powered by a reliable 321cc engine, the R3 delivers excellent performance for navigating cross-town traffic, carving twisty roads, or participating in a track day. Featuring the latest combustion technology, lightweight forged aluminum pistons, and all-aluminum DiASil cylinders with an offset design, the smooth-running and quick-revving R3 engine produces easy-to-manage power.
A lightweight steel frame cradles the engine’s crankcase within the chassis, resulting in approximately 50/50 front-rear weight distribution for the perfect balance of rigidity and weight. An asymmetric swingarm efficiently delivers engine power to the rear wheel, while a preload-adjustable KYB rear shock mounted in a Monocross suspension design contributes to a mass centralization of weight. To help achieve the right balance of comfort and sport riding performance for both street and track, the R3 features a KYB 37mm inverted front fork to provide the rider with outstanding handling during cornering and braking. ABS is also available, adding to confidence-boosting stopping performance.
The 2020 YZF-R3 will be available in Team Yamaha Blue for an MSRP of $4,999. Models equipped with ABS will be available in Team Yamaha Blue, Matte Black, and Matte Silver for an MSRP of $5,299. Both ABS and non-ABS models will begin arriving at authorized Yamaha dealerships in November.
2020 YZF-R6 – Respect. Earned.
The YZF-R6 (R6) continues to be one of the most popular race-ready Supersport motorcycles ever built, succeeding as the number one choice for today’s racers who are looking to progress quickly through the competition ranks.
The 2020 R6 features Yamaha’s Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I) for a broad, tractable powerband. A class-leading four-cylinder 599cc engine provides excellent performance, utilizing 16 titanium valves, a high 13.1:1 compression ratio, and lightweight forged pistons to allow for smooth, high-revving power. Linerless, direct-plated ceramic-composite cylinder bores provide excellent heat dissipation and reduced friction, while magnesium engine covers minimize engine weight.
The R6’s Deltabox aluminum frame incorporates years of GP development in terms of geometry, engine positioning, and rigidity, resulting in lightning-fast handling agility with confidence-inspiring mid-corner stability on the road or the track. A magnesium subframe removes weight from the rear of the motorcycle for increased mass centralization, while the flat and narrow seat makes it easier to reach the ground and gives riders more room to maneuver during aggressive racetrack riding.
Thanks to traction control that provides six levels of intervention or can be turned off completely, D-Mode for adjustable throttle response, YZF-R1 derived suspension, ABS brakes, top-notch aerodynamics, and an aluminum fuel tank, the 2020 R6 is poised to continue dominating the track while remaining ever-popular with street riders around the world.
The 2020 YZF-R6 will be available in Team Yamaha Blue, Raven, and Vivid Orange/Matte Raven Black for an MSRP of $12,199, and begin arriving at authorized Yamaha dealers in October.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R6 Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
- Ultra-compact, lightweight, short stroke, 599cc, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid-cooled, in-line four-cylinder engine with lightweight titanium valves produces championship winning horsepower. Redline is set at an amazing 16,000 rpm.
- engine meets or exceeds the new Euro EU-4 emissions & noise standards
- Compact “pent roof” cylinder head design features ultra-lightweight titanium valves.
- 27 mm intake valves & 23 mm exhaust valves… all are lightweight titanium
- 75 degree total valve angle provides a compact combustion chamber
- single intake valve springs reduce weight & friction for optimum high rpm performance
- lightweight aluminum valve retainers
- Valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 kms.
- High flow intake & exhaust ports mean excellent power delivery at all rpms.
- Lightweight magnesium cylinder head cover & crankcase case covers.
- Direct ceramic composite plated “liner less” stand alone cylinder (cylinder is not part of the upper crankcase).
- ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- ceramic coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- Lightweight, short skirt, forged pistons.
- excellent durability & reduced mechanical vibration
- lightweight design aids in fast engine response
- friction reducing, thin design top rings
- lightweight tapered piston pins reduce weight
- Lightweight crankshaft.
- inertial crank mass has been optimized for fast throttle response & acceleration
- crank journal bearings feature oil holes for increased oil supply for excellent durability
- High lift / high performance, hollow camshafts.
- designed to maximize power output across the rev range
- side driven design helps reduce engine width
- Crankcases feature a “tri-axis” layout for the crank, main & drive axles.
- creates a more compact & shorter engine front to back
- compact engine allows for optimum engine placement in the frame for desired weight distribution & great handling
- Closed loop, 41 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system with twin injectors.
- twin injector (primary & secondary) system is used on our MotoGP M1 race bike & YZF-R1
- primary injectors are located in the throttle bodies, secondary injectors located in the air box very near the computer controlled intake funnels
- both primary & secondary injectors utilize 12 spray holes to maximize the atomization process
- secondary injectors, located inside the air box, begin to function at mid rpms (6,000 to 7,000rpm) thru to redline
- special short intake tracts enhance higher rpm power
- “closed loop system” uses an oxygen sensor to “sniff” spent exhaust gases & automatically adjusts the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- fuel injection benefits include instant throttle response, choke-free starting, steady idle during warm up & reduced emissions
- Yamaha Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T) system.
- YCC-T electronically controls throttle valves for outstanding throttle response & controllability
- system features throttle position sensor (TPS) & D.C. motor driven throttle valves
- YCC-T system provides precise control of intake air volume for a smoother torque curve
- ECU that controls YCC-T is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1000th of a second
- Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I) system.
- intake funnels / stacks move between 2 -preset positions depending on engine rpm
- transition rpm is approximately 13,500 rpms; funnel movement takes less than 0.3 of a second
- electronic servo motor controls the funnels / stacks.
- YCC-I provides the best of both worlds; solid low rpm torque & power combined with an amazing high rpm rush
- Yamaha “D-Mode” variable throttle control system … 3 modes available.
- enables rider to adjust the performance characteristics of the engine based on riding preferences or conditions
- standard mode offers throttle response well suited to a variety of riding conditions, emphasizing linear throttle control
- A-mode enhances throttle response allowing riders to enjoy even sportier engine performance
- B -mode offers softer, slower throttle response well suited for wet or slippery riding conditions
- Traction control system … 6 modes available plus off.
- works in conjunction with the YCC-T system & utilizes same wheel sensors as ABS system
- when system senses rear wheel spin it intervenes in the following order:
1) retards ignition timing,
2) modifies / limits fuel injection duration
3) closes the throttle butterflies via YCC-T to reduce power until wheel spin matches the chosen setting
- 6 modes plus off: minimal to maximum intervention as per rider choice. Maximum intervention is well suited for slippery conditions.
- TCS button is handlebar mounted; status indicator / warning light in meter assembly
- 6 litre air box utilizes a high flow viscous paper type air filter.
- Ram air induction system.
- features centrally located intake duct delivering cool, “force-fed” air which pressures the air box & increases power output at higher speeds
- straight shot induction from centrally located fairing duct to air box without bends or turns
- Close ratio 6-speed transmission delivers seamless power delivery & maximum acceleration.
- gear widths, splines & engagement dogs have been optimized to handle the R6’s power
- gears use flat contact-type engagement dogs for smooth, positive shifting & great durability.
- pre-wired for accessory quick shifter
- Slipper or back limiter clutch assembly.
- reduces the effects of engine braking & improves rear wheel control by eliminating rear wheel hop or chatter when down shifting under hard braking
- Accessory quick shifter ready.
- allows for faster upshifts by eliminating the need to close the throttle or pull in the clutch
- works with standard shift pattern
- reduces wear & tear on the clutch & transmission
- easy plug-and-play installation (part number: BN6-E81A0-V0-00)
- Wet sump oil lubrication system with liquid-cooled oil cooler.
- oil quantity has been optimized to reduce internal frictional loses caused by “oil drag”
- liquid-cooled oil cooler ensures consistent engine temperatures for maximum performance & extended service life
- High capacity cooling system.
- curved radiator provides more surface cooling area than a flat rad for excellent cooling efficiency
- ring-type fan provides increased airflow (and cooling) versus a standard cooling fan
- Maintenance-free Transistor Controlled Ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- Direct ignition coils, iridium dual electrode spark plugs & high-output magneto.
- ignition coils are integrated into plug caps, significantly reducing weight & complexity
- “Mid ship” 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust system.
- maximizes engine performance & centralizes mass for light, agile handling
- header pipe diameter & length have been optimized for optimum flow
- System features three, 3-way honeycomb catalyzers to reduce exhaust emissions. The oxygen sensor provides feedback to the ECU so it can adjust for the optimum fuel/air mixture. The “mid ship” titanium muffler is located low in the chassis to central mass & lower the center of gravity for incredible handling.
- Yamaha’s EXUP system (Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve).
- part of the mid ship exhaust system
- utilizes a titanium body & butterfly valves that reduce the “blow back” phenomenon caused by “valve overlap”
- design reduces weight & maximizes cornering clearance
- EXUP system helps eliminates “flat spots” in the power band & reduces emissions
- High powered 32 bit electronic control unit actually contains three ECUs to control the FI system, YCC-T & YCC-I systems & ignition mapping.
- Air injection system (AIS … not ram air) injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions.
- Compact, lightweight aluminum Deltabox frame offers an optimized rigidity balance for incredibly light & agile handling.
- MotoGP inspired innovation that Yamaha calls a “straight frame concept”, meaning top spars of the frame lie as close to possible to the frame’s torsional axis (the line connecting the head pipe to the swingarm pivot point).
- ram air duct passes through the frame at the head pipe for a straight ram air effect
- mix of mold castings & pressed aluminum plates make up the frame
- engine is a fully stressed chassis member allowing for a super-light main frame design
- Slim design detachable CF die cast magnesium rear sub frame.
- sub-frame is 20 mm narrower at seat – tank junction
- Narrow sub-frame works in conjunction with seat for quick, easy rider movements
- detachable design allows easier rear shock access & can be replaced in the event of damage
- Lightweight, aluminum “gull wing” type swingarm.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
- mix of castings & pressed plates for optimum rigidity
- swingarm pivot position has been optimized to reduce the “squat” tendencies caused by drive chain reaction to hard throttle openings
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
- Key chassis geometry figures:
- 1380 mm wheelbase, 24 degree caster angle, 97mm of trail and a 52.5% front & 47.5% rear weight distribution
- 57 degree maximum lean angle
- Fully adjustable, R1 based, 43mm inverted front fork with 120 mm (4.7″) of wheel travel.
- incredible suspension performance with excellent “feedback”
- inverted design benefits include; reduced “unsprung” weight, reduced fork flex since the larger diameter tubes are gripped in the triple clamps & optimized rigidity
- adjustments include: spring preload, high speed compression damping, low speed compression damping & rebound damping. Settings are specific to the R6.
- all adjusters are located on top of the fork caps for fast, easy access
- adjustments allow the rider to tune suspension to match riding style & road or track conditions
- 25 mm front axle
- Revised, fully adjustable Monocross link rear suspension utilizes a KYB piggyback shock with 120mm (4.7″) of wheel travel.
- adjustments include: spring preload, high & low speed compression damping and rebound damping adjustability
- piggyback desgn allows room for adjusters & helps to keep the shock cooler for consistent damping performance
- ABS-equipped, radial-mount, monoblock 4-piston calipers squeeze large 320mm dual front discs.
- radial mount design helps to reduce caliper distortion for improved braking performance
- aluminum disc carriers reduce weight
- Nissin master cylinder provides excellent front brake lever feel & feedback
- ABS equipped, lightweight 220mm rear disc brake is squeezed by a single-piston caliper.
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS).
- controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic pressure to the point just before the wheel(s) lock-up
- ABS benefits include; excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
- Lightweight, 5-spoke cast aluminum 17″ wheels.
- reduce unsprung weight by making hub & spokes a single structural unit
- special casting technique makes the rim section substantially lighter & stronger
- front rim size is MT3.50 x 17, rear rim is MT5.50 x17
- 17-litre aluminum fuel tank.
- over 1 kg weight savings Vs last year’s steel tank
- provides excellent rider mobility (narrower seat-fuel tank junction)
- reserve portion of the tank is 3.4 liters (low fuel light illuminates)
- internal electric fuel pump
- Ultra-sleek, YZF-M1 MotoGP inspired front fairing.
- 8 % improvement in aerodynamic efficiency Vs. ’16 model
- centrally located ram air duct
- most aerodynamic production motorcycle ever produced by Yamaha
- windshield is 50 mm (2″) higher than last generation…
- LED main headlights & LED position lighting.
- LEDs use less power allowing for a smaller ACM (smaller ACM means less power losses)
- LED lights offer excellent visibility
- LED lights offer extended service life
- Separate rider & passenger seats.
- rider seat enhances the narrower sub-frame for fast, easy rider movements
- Compact race inspired multi-function analogue & digital instrumentation cluster.
- readouts include; analog tach, digital speedometer, dual trip meters, gear position indicator, low fuel warning light, fuel trip meter (counts kilometers since low fuel light illuminated), clock, stop watch, D-mode & traction control indicators, coolant temp, outside air temp, instant& average fuel consumption & a self -diagnostic mode
- programmable shift light & stop watch/lap timer
- adjustable back lighting
- LED taillight for excellent visibility.
- Immobilizer ignition system to reduce the possibility of “ride away” theft.
- system must recognize the “coded ignition key” in order for the unit to start
- if immobilizer ignition does not recognize the key, the ignition system & starter will not function, even if the ignition is forced into the on position
- Accessory ready Communication Control Unit (CCU):
- CCU is Yamaha’s data acquisition unit… a great tool for track day & race enthusiasts
- works with IOS & Android platforms
- parameters recorded include: traction-control activation, front & rear ABS activation, lean angle, engine speed, wheel speeds, throttle position, gear position, front & rear brake pressures, coolant temperature and lap times
- information also notes position on the race track
- possible to overlay multiple laps & share data with other R6 riders
- lightweight 525 O-ring chain
- steering lock
- under seat bungee cord attachment straps & helmet holder cable
- new, smaller, low maintenance sealed gel-type battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
Note: The YZF-R6 offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R6 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $12,199 – Team Yamaha Blue
Canada MSRP Price: $14,599 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £See dealer for pricing in GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 599cc liquid-cooled DOHC inline 4-cylinder; 16
Bore x Stroke 67.0mm x 42.5mm
Compression Ratio 13.1:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 6-speed; multiplate slipper clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front 43mm KYB® inverted fork, 3-way adjustable;
Suspension / Rear KYB® piggyback shock, 4-way adjustable; 4.7-in
Brakes / Front Dual 320mm hydraulic disc; ABS
Brakes / Rear 220mm hydraulic disc; ABS
Tires / Front 120/70ZR17
Tires / Rear 180/55ZR17
L x W x H 80.3 in x 27.4 in x 45.3 in
Seat Height 33.5 in
Wheelbase 54.1 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 24.0°
Trail 3.8 in
Fuel Capacity 4.6 gal
Fuel Economy** 42 mpg
Wet Weight*** 419 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Color Team Yamaha Blue; Vivid Orange/Matte Raven
*** Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as
applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is
useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
2020 Yamaha YZF-R6 – Totalmotorcycle.com Canada Specifications/Technical Details
|Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valves (4-valves/cyl) (titanium), in-line four|
|Bore and Stroke|
|67 x 42.5 mm|
|6.6 kg-m (47.7 ft-lb) @ 11,500 rpm|
|YCC-T, YCC-I, Traction Control, D-Modes|
|41 mm Mikuni throttle body F.I. with twin injectors (primary & secondary)|
|Estimated Fuel Consumption±|
|17.9 kpl / 50 mpg (Imp.)|
|Ignition / Starting|
|TCI / Electric|
|Fully adjustable 43mm inverted fork / 120mm (4.7″) wheel travel|
|Fully adjustable link Monocross / 120mm (4.7″) wheel travel|
|Dual 320mm discs / radial mount 4-piston calipers / ABS equipped|
|220mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped|
|2,040 mm (80.3″)|
|695 mm (27.4″)|
|1,150 mm (45.3″)|
|1,375 mm (54.1″)|
|Rake / Trail|
|24° / 97mm (3.8″)|
|130 mm (5.1″)|
|850 mm (33.5″)|
|17 litres (3.7 imp.gallons)|
|190 kg (419 lbs.)|
|Yamaha Racing Blue
2020 Yamaha YZF-R6 – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Bore x stroke 67.0 mm x 42.5 mm
Compression ratio 13.1 : 1
Maximum power 87.1kW (118.4PS) @ 14,500 rpm
Maximum Torque 61.7Nm (6.3kg-m) @ 10,500 rpm
Lubrication system Wet sump
Clutch Type Wet;Multiple Disc
Ignition system TCI
Starter system Electric
Transmission system Constant Mesh;6-speed
Final transmission Chain
Fuel consumption 6.6l/100km
CO2 emission 154 g/km
Frame Aluminium Deltabox
Front travel 120 mm
Caster Angle 24º
Front suspension system Telescopic forks, Ø43 mm
Rear suspension system Swingarm;(link suspension)
Rear Travel 120 mm
Front brake Hydraulic dual disc, Ø320 mm
Rear brake Hydraulic single disc, Ø220 mm
Front tyre 120/70 ZR17M/C (58W) Tubeless
Rear tyre 180/55 ZR17M/C (73W) Tubeless
Overall length 2,040 mm
Overall width 695 mm
Overall height 1,150 mm
Seat height 850 mm
Wheel base 1,375 mm
Minimum ground clearance 130 mm
Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank) 190 kg
Fuel tank capacity 17litres
Oil tank capacity 3.4litres
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).