2021 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS : REDEFINE YOUR RIDE.
Introducing the new 2021 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS…
With Kawasaki Ninja sportbike-inspired performance, the Concours 14 ABS provides the ultimate sport-touring platform that is equally adept at carving canyons, devouring highways and negotiating city streets.
The Kawasaki Concours14 ABS motorcycle gets the soul of a Ninja ZX™-14R sportbike and adds superior performance, advanced technology and premium features for the ultimate sport touring experience. And to top it off, the Concours14 ABS comes with the confidence of a 36-month limited warranty. The 2021 Concours14 ABS features a 1352cc in-line four-cylinder engine with Variable Valve Timing (VVT), Kawasaki Advanced Coactive Braking Technology (K-ACT) ABS system, electrically adjusted windshield, standard hard saddlebags, and a rigid monocoque frame. The 2021 Kawasaki Concours14 ABS motorcycle is available in a Metallic Spark Black paint scheme with an MSRP of $15,799.
2021 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
• NINJA INSPIRED CHASSIS AND ENGINE
• KAWASAKI TRACTION CONTROL (KTRC)
• KAWASAKI ADVANCED CO-ACTIVE-BRAKING TECHNOLOGY (K-ACT)
• HEATED GRIPS
2021 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
An example of the innovative Kawasaki technology that facilitates rider control, KTRC provides rider reassurance by facilitating smooth riding on slippery surfaces. Wheel speed is monitored using front and rear wheel speed sensors. When rear wheel spin (i.e. when rear wheel speed is faster than front wheel speed) is detected, engine output is controlled to allow the rear wheel to regain grip. The system uses 3-way control, governing ignition timing, fuel delivery and airflow (via the sub-throttles) to ensure smooth operation. KTRC assists riders in negotiating both short slippery patches (such as train tracks or manhole covers) and extended stretches of bad road (e.g. dirt, gravel, cobblestone, grass).
- 3-way control provides smoother operation over 2-way control systems found on competing models.
- A switch on the left switch housing gives the rider the option to turn the system off. KTRC is always on when the engine is started.
Kawasaki Advanced Coactive-Braking Technology
- K-ACT (Kawasaki Advanced Coactive-braking Technology) ABS is a linked brake system that ensures ideal brake force distribution for confident, highly effective braking.
- K-ACT ABS settings for the linked effect when the rear brake is applied helps eliminate the linked feel on the front brake for more natural feeling during low-speed maneuvers.
- Electronic system controls brake force distribution between the front and rear brakes to enhance overall braking performance, no matter how hard the front and/or rear brakes are applied.
- K-ACT has two selectable modes. Mode 1 reduces the linked braking effect at initial brake pedal stroke for more natural braking sensation when riding twisting roads. Mode 2 provides a more pronounced linked effect from the beginning of the pedal stroke which makes it more suitable for touring, two-up and highway use.
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) is incorporated into K-ACT to help prevent the wheels from locking during hard, straight-up braking for enhanced control.
- For maximum controllability in tight corners or when making U-turns, K-ACT does not engage when braking is initiated at speeds below 12 mph. The ABS disengages at speeds below 4 mph.
- Fuel Economy Assistance Mode is a selectable mode that switches the ECU to a leaner fuel map, prioritizing fuel economy.
- The Economical Riding Indicator(KP) is a mark that appears on the LCD screen to indicate favorable fuel consumption.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analyses used to design large openings in the fairing that allow hot air to escape quickly. Fairing sides help direct hot air out and away from the rider’s legs.
- Exhaust pipe guard near the right footpeg helps shield the rider from heat when stopped.
- Grip heaters make for a much more comfortable ride when the weather is cold.
- Stepless adjustment knob allows the heat level to be fine-tuned.
- Electromagnetic lock prevents entry when the ignition is in the off position and locks automatically when vehicle speed reaches 24 mph.
- Integrated hooks at the front of the fuel tank facilitate securing a tank bag.
1,352cc Four-Cylinder, DOHC Engine With Variable Valve Timing (VVT) (KP)
- VVT helps boost low-end and mid-range torque for effortless acceleration from any engine speed while reducing emissions.
- Special cam profiles complement the VVT system.
- Carefully planned engine design keeps it compact and narrow.
- Chrome composite plated(KP) aluminum cylinder bores are lightweight, durable, and quickly carry heat away from the combustion chamber and piston for supreme durability at high power outputs.
Gear-Driven Dual Engine Balancers(KP)
- Already in perfect primary balance, dual secondary balancers virtually eliminate unwanted vibrations for extremely smooth engine operation and rider comfort.
Ram Air Induction(KP)
- This system takes cooler, high-pressure air from in front of the fairing and guides it through the air cleaner and into the engine for maximum power output.
Digital Fuel Injection (KP)
- 40mm throttle bodies used for more linear low and mid-range throttle response and increased rideability. Since smaller diameter bodies increase intake velocity, throttle response is very good at all engine speeds.
- The throttle bodies are fitted with dual throttle valves(KP) that are controlled by the ECU to provide precise response and make DFI performance smoother.
- 32-bit electronic control unit works with dual throttle valve system to further enhance throttle response and control.
- A digital computer feeds the engine exactly the amount of fuel it needs for cleaner emissions and maximum fuel economy.
- Short first gear ratio takes advantage of the massive torque to make starting from a standstill easy, and aids control in first-gear, low speed situations.
- Sixth gear is an overdrive that reduces rpm at cruising speeds for a more comfortable ride and better fuel mileage.
- Mated to a back-torque limiting “slipper” clutch(KP) that helps minimize rear wheel hop when downshifting at high rpm for smoother corner entries.
Tetra-Lever Shaft Drive(KP)
- Designed to offset the lifting and squatting tendencies of shaft drives when the throttle is open and closed, a special four-shaft design significantly reduces driveline lash and ensures smooth acceleration from the powerful engine.
- Smooth, direct power delivery provides the same natural ride quality as a chain.
Monocoque Aluminum Frame(KP)
- A more advanced version of the Ninja® ZX™-14R frame delivers high stability and is highly responsive for sport-touring riding.
- The steering head, upper plate and swingarm bracket were made stiffer, increasing torsional rigidity by 20 percent to reduce the influence of increased weight on the machine’s handling characteristics from added touring amenities.
- The frame is a hollow aluminum box that arches over the engine from the steering head to the swing arm pivot. It is narrow, strong, rigid, and very light.
- Engine is rigidly mounted to increase the monocoque’s torsional rigidity. Plus using the engine as a stressed frame member decreases the frame’s weight by approximately four pounds.
- The steering head and swing arm pivot areas are cast aluminum for superior strength and rigidity.
- Low-friction steering stem bearing seal contributes to light and smooth steering.
Inverted 43mm Cartridge Type Front Fork(KP)
- Damping rates offer stiff initial action to resist front-end dive when braking.
- Stepless rebound damping adjustment is easy to turn and improves suspension performance.
Bottom-Link Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension(KP)
- To ensure long-distance comfort and sporty handling performance, the suspension components were specially calibrated for the Concours 14 ABS and provide excellent bump absorption while being minimally affected with a passenger and/or luggage aboard.
- Remote hydraulic preload adjuster is easily accessible and doesn’t require any tools so that preload can be quickly altered for various loading situations.
- Linkage rates provide progressive suspension action.
- The bottom-link design concentrates the weight lower in the chassis for a lower center of gravity, which makes the bike more flickable.
- One-piece cast aluminum swingarm is light and rigid.
- Dual-sided Tetra-Lever design has more torsional rigidity than single-sided swingarms, and placing the swingarm pivot inside the frame, as on a chain-drive machine, adds to the rigidity of the structure for more precise handling.
Radial Mounted Petal Front Disc Brakes
- Radial mounted 4-piston front brake calipers.
- The radial design utilizes integrated mounting points at both the top and bottom of the caliper, with the mounting bolts inserted through the rear of the caliper instead of the side/front. This makes the caliper more rigid, which improves brake feel.
- A separate brake pad is used for each piston. Individual pads provide increased cooling efficiency and can absorb more heat without deforming so that they maintain consistent brake feel.
- Petal design brake discs provide better cooling and warp resistance.
- Radial-pump front brake master cylinder improves brake performance and lever feel.
- Adjustable windscreen vent reduces the negative pressure effect in the rider cockpit to smooth airflow and reduce helmet buffeting at higher speeds. The vent has two open positions and can be fully closed to suit weather conditions.
- Windshield works in conjunction with air passages under the screen so that air flows more smoothly around the rider and helmet for a more comfortable ride.
- Windshield automatically retracts when the ignition is turned off. A memory function returns the screen to one of four preset positions, selectable through the multi-function meter, when the ignition is turned on. Stepless adjustment is also still available so the rider can fine-tune windshield height.
- More than a windscreen that simply blocks the wind, the Concours 14 ABS windshield and front cowl aerodynamically curves the wind around the rider and passenger for reduced buffeting.
- Conveniently adjusted by an easy-to-reach switch on the left handlebar.
Standard Spacious Storage Hard Luggage
- Slim, integrated hard luggage design mounts the removable cases closer to the machine’s centerline for excellent centralization of mass.
- Lightweight rear carrier comes as standard equipment and is designed to be compatible with an accessory top case (maximum carrying capacity: 22 lbs).
- KIPASS (Kawasaki’s Intelligent Proximity Activation Start System) is a master key system that allows remote activation of the bike’s main switch and steering lock. (This system uses the encryption algorithm “MISTY” developed by MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC CORPORATION.)
- Provides keyless ignition when the KI-PASS fob is within approximately six feet of the ignition switch. Simply push and turn the ignition switch without inserting a key.
- The first smart key system in its class.
- Located in the front fairing for powering optional accessories.
Monitoring System (TPMS) (KP)
- The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) warns riders of tire pressure irregularities while underway.
- The sensors constantly monitor air pressure and those readings can be displayed on the multi-function LCD meter. If air pressure drops below a certain level, a low pressure warning is displayed to alert the rider.
- Front and rear tire pressure sensors (TPS) come as standard equipment.
Comfortable Riding Position
- The seat is narrow at front with a flat seat area so that riders can more easily reach to the ground with their feet. The rear area is long and flat so the passenger can easily adjust position without the tendency to slide forward. Double stitched seams enhance the appearance and a slip-resistant cover is comfortable.
- Accessory Touring Seat ramps up the comfort level with 10mm low-rebound urethane layer for increased cushioning and improved long-distance comfort, an even longer and flatter passenger area, and an exclusive cover material that resists heat gain in the sun.
- A more relaxed and upright riding position is achieved with handlebars that are nearly four inches higher and further back than the ZX-14R.
- The seat is more than one-half inch higher than the ZX-14R while the footpegs are lower and mounted further forward.
- The seat is also relatively firm with foam for excellent comfort on long-distance rides.
- Passenger footpegs are rubber padded for increased comfort.
- Mode selection button on the front side of the left switch housing, eases display mode selection.
- Multi-function LCD digital display includes an odometer, two trip meters, gear position indicator, clock, and ambient temperature.
- A CAN (Controller Area Network) interface between the meter uses fewer wires while allowing a greater volume of information, such as estimated fuel mileage, to be exchanged.
2021 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $15799 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $18799 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ See Dealer GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 4-Stroke, 4-Cylinder, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, 4 Valve Cylinder Head
Displacement 1352 cc
Bore & Stroke 84.0 x 61.0 mm
Maximum Torque 101 lb-ft @ 6,200 rpm
Compression Ratio 10.7:1
Fuel Injection DFI® with Mikuni 40mm Throttle Bodies (4)
Ignition TCBI with Digital Advance
Transmission 6-Speed with Positive Neutral Finder
Final Drive Shaft
Rake/Trail 26.0° / 4.4 in.
Front Wheel Travel 4.4 in.
Rear Wheel Travel 5.4 in.
Front Tire Size 120/70-17
Rear Tire Size 190/50-17
Wheelbase 59.8 in.
Front Suspension 43mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with Adjustable
Preload and Rebound Damping
Rear Suspension Tetra-Lever Swingarm and Uni-Trak with
Adjustable Preload, Stepless Rebound Damping
Front Brake Type Dual Floating 310mm Petal Discs with 4-Piston Calipers
Rear Brake Type Single 250mm Petal Disc
Fuel Tank Capacity 5.8 gal.
Seat Height 32.1 in.
Curb Weight= w/o Saddlebags 673 lb.
w/ Saddlebags 690 lb.
Warranty 36 months
Kawasaki Protection Plus™ 12, 24, or 36 months
(Specifications subject to change without notice.)
= Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied).
When equipped, 50-state models with evaporative emissions equipment adds approximately 2.2 pounds.
(KP) = See Kaw-Pedia section for more details.* = Changes from previous model year.
2021 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
|Engine||1,352cc, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC 16-valve in-line four|
|Bore x Stroke||84.0 x 61.0 mm|
|Fuel System||Fuel injection: ø40 mm x 4|
|Lubrication||Forced lubrication, wet sump|
|Clutch||Wet multi-disc, manual|
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel||ø43 mm inverted fork with rebound damping and spring preload adjustability / 113 mm (4.4 in)|
|Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel||Bottom-Link Uni Trak + Tetra-Lever, gas-charged shock with rebound damping and spring preload adjustability / 136 mm (5.4 in)|
|Rake / Trail||26° / 112 mm|
|Steering Angle (L/R)||31° / 31°|
|Front Tire||120/70ZR17M/C (58W)|
|Rear Tire||190/50ZR17M/C (73W)|
|Front Brakes||Dual semi-floating ø310 mm petal discs with radial-mount, opposed 4-piston, 4-pad calipers|
|Rear Brake||ø270 mm petal disc with opposed 2-piston caliper|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||2,230 x 790* x 1,465/1,345 mm (high/low) (87.8 x 31.1* x 57.7/53.0 in (high/low)) (*Width without saddlebags)|
|Wheelbase||1,520 mm (59.8 in)|
|Road Clearance||125 mm (4.9 in)|
|Seat Height||815 mm (32.1 in)|
|Curb Mass**||305 kg (672 lb) without saddlebags|
|Fuel Capacity||22 litres|
|Instrumentation||Analogue-style speedometer and tachometer + multi-function LCD screen with fuel gauge, odometer, dual trip meters, clock, current and average fuel consumption, remaining range, outside air temperature, coolant temperature, tire pressure, battery voltage, K-ACT mode indicator, Economical Riding Indicator, Fuel Economy Assistance Mode icon, and indicator lamps|
|Kawasaki Protection Plus||12 / 24 / 36 / 48 months|
2021 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).