2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM : THE ULTIMATE LIGHTWEIGHT SUPERMOTO.
Introducing the new 2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM…
The new KLX300SM is the ultimate lightweight supermoto bike for tracing a tight line in corners with its agile handling, while its oversize front brake rotor and wide street tires enhance the performance.
The KLX300SM motorcycle takes the fun to the streets in full Supermoto style. A fast-accelerating engine, paired with light, agile handling, evokes the playfulness within. Suspension, wheels, and brakes are optimised for Supermoto, and KX-inspired bodywork means business. The KLX300SM is quick to steal the scene with equal parts performance and attitude.
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
• EQUIPPED WITH KAWASAKI’S DIGITAL FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM
• LIQUID-COOLED, COMPACT 4-STROKE ENGINE
• FULL DIGITAL INSTRUMENTATION
• INCREASED DISPLACEMENT PRODUCES MORE POWER AND TORQUE IN THE SAME SIZE PACKAGE AS
THE OTHER 250CC CLASS MACHINES
• ULTIMATE LIGHTWEIGHT SUPERMOTO
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
Compact Liquid-Cooled Engine
- 6mm larger bore compared to former KLX250 model increases displacement, up to 17% more than typical 250cc models for more power while maintaining the light weight and nimble feel of the 250.
- Flat top piston with pentroof combustion chamber delivers 11.1:1 compression ratio.
- Lightweight piston, piston pin and connecting rod allow power-producing revs without excessive vibration.
- A gear-driven engine balancer ensures smooth power delivery throughout the powerband, delivering greater rider comfort on long rides.
- High-capacity Denso radiators similar to the KX™ line provide high cooling efficiency. Their slim profile and tightly packed cores make the radiators smaller and lighter, while the special fin design provides excellent heat dispersion.
- Radiator fan cover located behind the radiator directs hot air down and away from the rider, significantly increasing comfort when negotiating heavy traffic. Redirecting the air also helps keep the tank and other parts that contact the rider cooler, further increasing rider comfort.
- Catalyzer and secondary air system help reduce exhaust emissions so that the KLX®300 SM meets strict emissions regulations and can be sold in all 50 states.
- The incredibly hard coating in the aluminum cylinder bore means superior heat transfer with less weight.
- It holds lubrication well, resists abrasion and seizure, and allows tight piston-to-cylinder clearances for more horsepower.
4-Valve DOHC Cylinder Head(KP)
- Camshaft profiles from the KLX300R contribute to top-end performance and quick throttle response.
- 4-valve cylinder head provides maximum valve area for optimum flow.
- Boosts low-end torque.
- Cam profiles complement intake port design and contribute to the smooth, quick-revving engine character.
- A cam lobe for each valve with shim-under tappets has less reciprocating weight for efficiency at high rpm.
Kawasaki DFI®(KP) System
- 34 mm throttle body is equipped with a sub-throttle that contributes to mid-high rpm performance.
- Ultra-fine atomizing 10-hole injector helps boost performance and provide very smooth throttle response.
- DFI provides easy starting, smooth idling, increased performance and better fuel mileage.
- Electric starter and the Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR)(KP), which automatically lifts an exhaust valve at cranking rpm, makes starting the KLX300 SM easy.
Digital Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI)(KP)
- Optimized ignition timing contributes to a strong yet easy to use power delivery at low and mid-range rpm that transitions smoothly to the powerful top-end.
- Digital ECU precisely controls timing, no matter how fast the RPM changes.
- Easy starts and reliability under extreme conditions.
High Tensile Steel Perimeter Frame(KP)
- The frame is built up of box-section and tubular high-tensile steel.
- The steering head angle and short wheelbase contribute to quick handling.
- The incredible frame rigidity contributes to excellent straight line ability.
- Rear frame rigidity has been optimized to accommodate an accessory rear carrier.
43mm Inverted Cartridge Fork(KP)
- 16-way compression damping adjustment.
- Cartridge maintains more consistent damping force by minimizing aeration of the fork oil.
Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension(KP)
- Lightweight, highly-rigid aluminum D-section swingarm helps reduce unsprung weight.
- Rear suspension linkage and damping settings provide a firm ride and a more planted feel in corners.
- The nitrogen-filled, aluminum body, remote reservoir rear shock has 16-way compression and rebound damping adjustment and threaded spring pre-load.
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
- Petal brake discs help reduce weight and the wave pattern helps to clean the brake pads for better brake performance.
- Twin piston front caliper grasps a big 300mm disc for incredible stopping power.
- Single piston rear caliper and a 240mm disc to give strong, reliable performance.
Wheels and Tires
- KLX300SM has 17-inch wheels fitted with street tires.
- The ergonomics put the rider in a relaxed, upright position, for easy maneuverability and control.
- The KLX300SM has a slightly narrower handlebar than that of the KLX300, which contributes to its unique styling.
- Footpegs are positioned close to the bike’s centerline for a slim riding position suitable to both on- and off-road riding.
- Thickly padded seat contributes to comfort on longer rides.
- Seat height and design were carefully considered to help riders reach the ground for added confidence when stopped.
- Narrow fuel tank contributes to the comfortable riding position and has a lockable, hinged one-touch cap.
- The KLX300SM features stylized mirror shapes that contribute to a more aggressive look.
- All-digital instrument panel features bar-graph tachometer, digital speedometer, clock dual trip meters and warning lamps.
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $ 5999 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ 6799 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: from £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 4-Stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, 4-Valve Single
Displacement 292 cc
Bore & Stroke 78.0 x 61.2 mm
Compression Ratio 11.1:1
Fuel System DFI® with 34mm throttle body
Ignition Digital DC-CDI
Rake/Trail 25.0°/2.8 in.
Front Wheel Travel 9.1 in.
Rear Wheel Travel 8.1 in.
Front Tire Size 110/70-17
Rear Tire Size 130/70-17
Front Suspension 43mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with 16-Way Compression Damping Adjustment
Rear Suspension Uni-Trak with Adjustable Preload, 16-Way
Compression and Rebound Damping Adjustment
Wheelbase 56.5 in.
Front Brake Type 300mm Petal Disc
Rear Brake Type 240mm Petal Disc
Fuel Tank Capacity 2.0 gal.
Ground Clearance 8.5 in.
Seat Height 33.9 in.
Curb Weight= 304.03 lb.
Warranty 12 months
Kawasaki Protection Plus 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Engine 292cc, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC 4-valve single
Bore x Stroke 78.0 x 61.2 mm
Compression Ratio 11.1:1
Fuel System Fuel injection: ø34 mm x 1
Ignition Digital CDI
Lubrication Forced lubrication, wet sump
Transmission 6-speed, return
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual
Final Drive Chain
Frame Perimeter, high-tensile steel
Front Suspension / Wheel Travel ø43 mm inverted fork with adjustable compression damping / 230 mm (9.1 in)
Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel Uni Trak, gas-charged shock with piggyback reservoir, adjustable compression and rebound damping, and adjustable preload / 205 mm (8.1 in)
Rake / Trail 25.0° / 70 mm
Steering Angle (L/R) 41° / 41°
Front Tire 110/70-17M/C 54S
Rear Tire 130/70-17M/C 62S
Front Brake Single semi-floating ø300 mm petal disc with dual-piston caliper
Rear Brake ø240 mm petal disc with single-piston caliper
Dimensions (L x W x H) 2,145 x 790 x 1,145 mm (84.4 x 31.1 x 45.1 in)
Wheelbase 1,435 mm (56.5 in)
Road Clearance 215 mm (8.5 in)
Seat Height 860 mm (33.9 in)
Curb Mass** 138 kg (304 lb)
Fuel Capacity 7.7 litres
Instrumentation LCD screen with digital speedometer, bar-type tachometer, clock, dual trip meters, and a range of warning/indicator lamps
Warranty 12 months
Kawasaki Protection Plus 12 / 24 / 36 / 48 months
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).