2021 Kawasaki KX250 XC : THE NEW CROSS-COUNTRY RACER.
Introducing the 2021 Kawasaki KX250 XC.
The championship-proven technology of KX™ race machines has now been tuned for off-road competition. Purposefully designed to take on tough off-road conditions, the all-new KX™250XC motorcycle delivers the edge to ride ahead. No matter how technical the terrain, lead with confidence on the KX250XC.
With a rich history in off-road racing, Kawasaki adds the new KX™250XC to its off-road line-up. The new cross-country racer retains all of the championship-winning performance and factory-style features of the KX250 motocross racer but adds XC-specific engine tuning and suspension settings, 21/18-inch wheels fitted with enduro-type tires, and convenient standard features like a side stand and skid plate.
The championship-proven technology of KX™ race machines has now been purposely tuned for off-road competition. Kawasaki is proud to announce all-new race ready off-road KX™ XC models with the all-new 2021 KX™250XC and KX™450XC models.
As a brand that has a rich history in off-road racing with more than 25 championships in WORCS, National Hare & Hound, GNCC, and Endurocross over the past 20 years, there’s no denying the all-new KX XC models are powered by technology that hails from a legacy of champions.
The KX250XC and KX450XC share many winning traits with their motocross counterparts including the engine, frame, chassis, and styling, paired with unique cross-country tuning and settings such as suspension settings, gearing, off-road 21”/18” wheel combination, Dunlop Geomax AT81 tires, brake components, skid plate, and kickstand. The softer suspension settings and shorter gearing ratio help to create the optimal handling off-road race package for the KX XC lineup.
Developed to dominate off-road racecourses in both the woods and the desert, the KX XC lineup offers riders an arsenal of factory-style features along with the dominant engine and chassis performance right off the showroom floor.
Highlights of the 2021 KX XC Lineup
- ALL-NEW Off-road optimized engine and suspension settings
- ALL-NEW 21” front wheel and 18” rear wheel
- ALL-NEW Dunlop GEOMAX AT81 tires
- ALL-NEW Brake components
- ALL-NEW Skid plate
- ALL-NEW Kickstand
2021 Kawasaki KX250 XC Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
- POWERFUL, HIGH-REVVING 249cc ENGINE
- RACE-READY XC SUSPENSION
- F21″/R18″ WHEELS AND OFF-ROAD TIRES
- SKID PLATE & SIDE STAND
- Electric start
- Coned disc-spring hydraulic clutch
- Launch Control Mode
- Easy engine tuning
- Finger-follower valve actuation
- Industry-leading slim aluminum perimeter frame
- Powerful brakes
- Slim, ergonomic bodywork
- ERGO-FIT® adjustable ergonomics
- Renthal® Fatbar® handlebar
- Uni-Trak® linkage system
2021 Kawasaki KX250 XC Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
KX250XC EXCLUSIVE FEATURES
The piston features the same bridged-box bottom design used on our factory racers. A short skirt, reinforced external ribs and bridged-box bottom, featuring fully flush internal bracing, results in a lighter, stronger piston.
• Connecting rod design decreases the piston’s lateral force on the cylinder walls to reduce mechanical loss and contribute to performance.
• Low-friction plain bearings at the connecting rod big end reduce mechanical loss and help boost power.
• Cylinder offset is 3mm forward to reduce friction and enable more efficient power generation.
• Upright engine orientation helps straighten the intake path. The downdraft-style intake routing fills the cylinder more efficiently, contributing to power production.
• Plateau honing of the cylinder bore provides a smooth surface to help reduce mechanical loss.
• Molybdenum coating on the piston’s outer surface helps reduce mechanical loss and resists wear. Striation helps retain oil to minimize sliding friction.
• Aluminum cylinder with chrome composite plating(KP) provides rapid heat transfer, superb wear resistance and optimum lubrication retention for increased performance and durability.
• Semi-dry sump(KP) lubrication system for quicker engine response. The majority of oil is stored in the transmission to keep excess oil away from the crankshaft and prevent power-robbing stirring loss. With only a shallow chamber to collect oil at the bottom of the crankcase, where a scavenge pump moves it to the transmission, the crank is located as low as possible to help lower the center of gravity.
• Twin oil pumps ensure proper lubrication and oil scavenging for optimum performance.
• Radiators are turned inward 10˚ which narrows to the KX™250XC’s already slim profile.
Race-tuned 4-Valve Cylinder Head(KP)
• Finger-follower valve train designed by Kawasaki’s multi-time World Superbike Championship winning engineers allows aggressive cam profiles and high rev limit for superb high-rpm performance.
• Finger-follower valve actuation reduces valve train mass (intake is 3.5 percent lighter, exhaust is 4.3 percent lighter) compared to tappet-style
actuation, as well as reducing friction at the cam lobe. DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) coating on the followers help prevent wear.
• Aggressive camshaft lobes have a chromium nitride coating for durability.
• Straight intake ports contribute to intake efficiency to help boost performance throughout the powerband.
• Special valve seat material helps prevent wear on the titanium valves.
• Located on the exhaust camshaft, the Automatic Compression Release (KACR)(KP) allows for easy starting.
KAWASAKI DFI® SYSTEM WITH DUAL INJECTORS
• Big 44mm throttle body diameter flows abundant air and contributes to top-end performance.
• Downstream injector located on the bottom of the intake duct for quick throttle response, while the position and angle the upstream injector matches the airbox design to contribute to top-end performance.
• Tapered intake funnel contributes to top-end performance.
• Intake duct angle optimized for a straight approach for intake air, which improves cylinder-filling efficiency and contributes to performance.
• A Kawasaki innovation introduced in 2012, dual, fine atomizing fuel injectors help deliver both instant throttle response and strong power throughout the rev range. One injector is located downstream of the throttle valve and the second, upstream injector is located close to the airbox.
• The downstream injector provides smooth, instant response while the upstream injector provides the power boost. As rpm and throttle position increase, primary operation switches from the downstream injector to the upstream injector. In lower gears (first and second) the switch is gradual, while in higher gears it is instantaneous.
• 44mm throttle body is compact to shave weight and provides easy starting, sharp throttle response, stable fuel delivery over jumps and whoops, and automatically compensates for changing atmospheric conditions.
• To ensure a stable fuel supply during hard riding the fuel pump features a unitized plastic fuel filter cover.
Coned Disc-spring Hydraulic Clutch
* Kawasaki’s hydraulic clutch offers more direct feel and lighter lever action. Less play as the clutch heats up during heavy use results in a more consistent feel.
* The clutch uses a single coned disc spring instead of five coiled springs for lighter clutch actuation when the lever is pulled and a wider clutch
engagement range that helps the rider control the clutch. The coned disc spring rate decreases as the clutch lever is pulled in so that lever action is
very light to help reduce rider fatigue during long off-road events.
* The friction plates also have offset segments to promote clean separation of the discs to help reduce drag when the clutch is disengaged.
• Provides the convenience of quick and easy push-button engine starting.
• Powered by a lightweight, compact lithium-ion battery that helps keep weight gain to a minimum.
• Automatic centrifugal compression release system on the exhaust cam lifts one exhaust valve to facilitate starting. The system’s simple construction is light weight and highly reliable
• NOTE: Only use Lithium-ion specific battery charger to help prevent fatal battery damage.
Easy DFI Tuning
• Riders can change DFI settings by simply replacing a coupler located on the right side of the steering stem. Riders can choose between Standard, Hard, or Soft terrain settings to suit riding conditions.
• Further tuning options are available for more advanced users who wish to use the optional Kawasaki KX FI Calibration Kit (hand held).
Easy-to-Use KX FI Calibration Kit (Optional)
• Accessory KX FI Calibration Kit features a hand-held Controller that enables users to adjust engine characteristics trackside simply by
plugging the controller into the engine’s ECU.
• The kit’s user interface is easy to understand and easy to use.
• Seven different maps come loaded on the Controller to adjust the ECU to suit track conditions. Additional maps can be created and stored on the hand held controller, or on a PC with data transfer between the Controller and PC performed via SD card.
• When connected to the ECU, the Controller can be used to display the status of a running engine.
• Can be used on all KX models equipped with DFI.
Launch Control Mode
• Similar to the system used on the Monster Energy® Kawasaki factory racers, allows riders to activate a separate engine map designed to assist them get holeshots in live-engine starts by pressing a button.
• The Launch Control Mode map retards ignition timing, allowing the tire to gain grip in low traction situations to help riders maximize traction and increase the chance of getting a good start.
• Launch Control Mode has the greatest effect within the first few seconds of releasing the clutch off the start – the most crucial time to get ahead of rivals for better positioning going into the first corner.
• Activated when the engine is running by pressing and holding the launch control button, located at the left handlebar, for two seconds or more while in neutral, first or second gear. When activated, the indicator lamp next to the button flashes quickly to let the rider know the system is engaged.
• The system automatically disengages when the transmission is shifted into third gear, switching back to the normal engine map.
• The Launch Control Mode indicator light also serves as a warning light if the DFI system malfunctions.
Lightweight Aluminum Perimeter Frame(KP)
• KX450 motocross racer-based frame contributes to the KX250XC’s light weight, light handling, and slim ergonomics.
• Engine is used as a stressed member, contributing to the frame’s rigidity balance.
• The frame is slim at the main spars for easy rider movement.
• Down-tube combines a forged front portion with cast aluminum rear piece for superb front-end feel.
• Composed of a combination of forged, extruded and cast parts, the aluminum frame is designed with a balance of torsional and longitudinal rigidity for quick handling and stability.
• Design emphasis on providing maximum traction under acceleration. Specific chassis dimensions and design (reinforcing ribs, swingarm pivot, output shaft, linkage mounts and rear axle) placed to prevent chassis squat and improve traction.
Kayaba Coil-Spring Fork
• High-performance 48mm inverted coil spring fork has smooth action throughout the fork stroke.
• The large-diameter inner tubes allow large 25mm damping pistons to be used so a firm damping force can be achieved with a lower internal
pressure. This allows firmer damping performance and increased riding comfort.
• Kashima Coat creates a hard, low-friction surface on the inside of the fork outer tubes to help prevent wear abrasion and keep the sliding surfaces smooth for a long time. The lubricating material in the coating contributes to smoother suspension action, especially at the initial part of the stroke, and a better ride feel.
New Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension
• Kayaba shock complements the KYB fork.
• New Uni-Trak® rear suspension mounts underneath the swingarm, allowing additional rear suspension travel yet maintaining a low seat height. The additional travel offers improved suspension action over a wide range of track conditions.
• Dual compression adjustability allows high speed and low-speed damping to be tuned separately.
• The inside of the shock reservoir has friction reducing Kashima Coat for improved suspension action.
• Shock bottoming bumper cushion designed to help dampen bottoming action for increased feeling of control for the rider.
NEW Big Brakes
• 270mm Braking brand petal front brake disc provides superb stopping power.
• Front master cylinder from the KX450 motocross racer combined with XC-specific front brake pads deliver strong stopping power and a high level of brake control.
• 240mm rear disc matches the large front disc, offering a balance of stopping power and controllability. The rear disc size enhances rider feedback and feel, beneficial in longer off-road races where endurance is tested.
• Upper triple clamp provides two mounting positions for the reversible handlebar clamps so that the handlebars can be set in one of four positions with a 35mm range of adjustment.
• Equipped with 1-1/8 inch Renthal aluminum Fatbar handlebar that helps reduce vibration and shocks transmitted to the rider as well as optimizing the riding position.
• The footpeg brackets can be mounted in two positions, allowing the rider to change footpegs height by 5mm.
• Bodywork features long, smooth surfaces and a flat tank-seat line designed to facilitate rider movement and control.
• Slim shrouds are positioned close to the frame. Designed to be slim where they come in contact with the rider’s legs, the single-piece shrouds enhance the rider’s ability to grip with the legs.
• Green plastic number plates and air box emulate the factory racers look.
• Gold finish on the oil filler, flywheel nut cap and timing inspection cap plus green highlights on the suspension adjusters contribute to factory looks.
• Black wheels, triple clamps, and cylinder head covers complement Kawasaki’s racing lime green color.
• Lightweight magnesium clutch, generator and cylinder head covers.
• Optional parts available through Kawasaki dealers include lighter/heavier flywheels, front and rear sprockets, solid brake discs, handlebar holder for 7/8” handlebar, and stiffer or softer fork and shock springs.
The nature of off-road racing differs from that of motocross/supercross. Therefore the KX250XC has the following changes from the KX250 motocross model.
* While all of the power of the KX250’s engine is retained, fuel injection/ignition mapping was optimized to provide the ideal amount of useable power for cross country racing situations. Riders can further tailor the power delivery to their specific needs using the Kawasaki Genuine Parts &
Accessories KX FI Calibration Kit.
* One-tooth larger rear sprocket than the KX250 provides shorter gearing more suitable to navigating off-road courses with loose rock sections, slick uphills, root-infested trails, and other obstacles requiring lower gearing.
* High-performance 48mm inverted coil-spring fork and New Uni Trak rear suspension come directly from the KX250 motocross racer. But since cross country courses don’t have the big jumps of a motocross track, spring rates and damping settings are optimized for cross country racing to offer increased feedback, especially when riding on aggressive trails.
* XC-specific front brake pads optimize off-road brake performance.
* Off-road specific 18-inch rear wheel allows tire to have a larger sidewall for a smoother ride over rocks and roots, plus better resistance to pinch flats when riding in such terrain. Premium-quality Dunlop AT81 tires are designed specifically for the demands of off-road racing.
* Standard side stand provides convenient parking out on the trail.
* Skid plate and enhanced engine guards help protect the engine from trail debris.
2021 Kawasaki KX250 XC – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $8,399 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $9799 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 4-Stroke, Liquid Cooled, DOHC, 4-Valve, Single
Bore & Stroke 78.0 x 52.2 mm
Compression Ratio 14.1:1
Fuel System DFI® w/Keihin 44mm Throttle Body & Dual Injectors
Ignition Digital DC CDI
Rake/Trail 27.8°/4.8 in.
Front Wheel Travel 12.4 in.
Rear Wheel Travel 12.4 in.
Front Tire Size 80/100-21
Rear Tire Size 110/100-18
Front Suspension 48mm Inverted, Coilspring Fork with Adjustable Compression and
Rear Suspension Uni-Trak® w/ Adjustable Preload, Adjustable Dual-range (Low/High Speed)
Compression Damping, Adjustable Rebound Damping
Wheelbase 58.3 in.
Front Brake Type Semi-Floating 270mm Disc
Rear Brake Type 240mm Disc
Fuel Tank Capacity 1.64 gal.
Ground Clearance 13.0 in.
Seat Height 37.2 in.
Weight Without Fuel 230.2 lb.
Curb Weight= 240.2 lb.
Specifications subject to change without notice.
Ask about Kawasaki’s Team Green™ amateur rider support program.
(KP) = See Kaw-Pedia section for more details.
* = Changes from previous model year.
= = Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied).
2021 Kawasaki KX250 XC – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
|Engine||249cc, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC 4-valve single|
|Bore x Stroke||78.0 x 52.2 mm|
|Fuel System||Fuel injection: ø44 mm x 1, with dual injectors|
|Lubrication||Forced lubrication, semi-dry sump|
|Clutch||Wet multi-disc, manual|
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel||ø48 mm inverted fork with adjustable compression and rebound damping / 314 mm (12.4 in)|
|Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel||New Uni Trak with adjustable dual-range (high/low-speed) compression damping, adjustable rebound damping and adjustable preload / 316 mm (12.4 in)|
|Rake||27.8° / 123 mm|
|Steering Angle (L/R)||42° / 42°|
|Front Tire||80/100-21 51M|
|Rear Tire||110/100-18 64M|
|Front Brake||Single semi-floating ø270 mm petal disc with dual-piston caliper|
|Rear Brake||ø240 mm petal disc with single-piston caliper|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||2,170 x 820 x 1,260 mm (85.4 x 32.3 x 49.6 in)|
|Wheelbase||1,480 mm (58.3 in)|
|Road Clearance||330 mm (13.0 in)|
|Seat Height||945 mm (37.2 in)|
|Curb Mass**||109.0 kg (240 lb)|
|Mass Without Fuel||104.4 kg (230 lb)|
|Fuel Capacity||6.2 litres|
**Curb weight includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90 percent capacity) and tool kit (if supplied).
KAWASAKI CARES: Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and proper apparel. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Read Owner’s Manual and all on-product warnings. Professional rider shown on a closed course. 2019 Canadian Kawasaki Motors, Inc.
Specifications subject to change.
2021 Kawasaki KX250 XC – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).