2021 Kawasaki Z400 ABS : NAVIGATE THE URBAN LANDSCAPE.
Introducing the new 2021 Kawasaki Z400 ABS…
The Z400 ABS motorcycle has all the Z character with light-handling trellis chassis, open riding position and aggressive Sugomi-inspired styling combined with Ninja® sportbike power in the 400cc-sized engine that provides plenty of sporty, responsive power for navigating the urban landscape.
A fiercely authentic supernaked, the Kawasaki Z400 ABS exudes fresh street style and is immediately recognizable in a crowd with its compact chassis and aggressive styling. Comfortable, balanced and capable, the Z400 ABS offers a visceral riding experience that’s sure to turn heads. The 2021 Z400 ABS features a parallel-twin 399cc engine, Assist & Slipper Clutch, aggressive streetfighter styling, lightweight chassis, upright riding position, and a low seat height. For 2021, the Z400 ABS is available in Pearl Nightshade Teal / Metallic Flat Spark Black and Candy Cardinal Red / Metallic Flat Spark Black with an MSRP of $4,999.
2021 Kawasaki Z400 ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features
• POWERFUL ENGINE WITH SMOOTH, PREDICTABLE RESPONSE
• ASSIST AND SLIPPER CLUTCH HAS LIGHT PULL AND WIDE ENGAGEMENT RANGE FOR EASY USE
• TRELLIS FRAME PROVIDES LIGHT, PREDICTABLE HANDLING AND CONTRIBUTES TO SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT SAVINGS
• LARGE FRONT BRAKE FOR SUPERB STOPPING POWER
• SLIM SEAT DESIGN HELPS IMPROVE REACH TO GROUND
2021 Kawasaki Z400 ABS Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits
Parallel Twin Engine
The engine, derived directly from its Ninja® 400 counterpart, has a rider-friendly character, smooth response and abundant low-end torque to please a variety riders
- Downdraft intake tract provides a short, direct path for intake air to enter the cylinder, improving cylinder-filling efficiency and contributing to power, especially at high rpm. The downdraft intake also helps eliminate space under the seat so that it can be designed with an easier reach to the ground.
- Large airbox contributes to intake efficiency for more power. The airbox design helps the rider more clearly hear the engine’s intake note during acceleration.
- Unequal height of the intake funnels help smooth throttle response by tuning out torque valleys.
- The 32mm throttle valves are oval shaped so that their closed position is at an angle, which contributes to quick throttle response as the valves open quickly from initial valve rotation.
- Fine-atomizing injectors positioned close to the throttle valves allows them to spray fuel directly onto the valves, which contributes to combustion efficiency and linear throttle response.
- 7mm intake and 23.5mm exhaust valves contribute to performance at all engine speeds.
- Forged camshafts, usually found only on larger-displacement machines, contribute to weight reduction.
- Oil jets cool the underside of the pistons, enabling a light piston design.
- Aluminum die-cast cylinder has an open deck design for excellent heat dissipation and reduced engine weight. Cylinders are sleeveless with plated bores.
- The cylinder is tilted forward 20 degrees to help reduce overall engine height.
- Lightweight flywheel lets the engine rev quickly for sharp response and direct power feeling.
- Machined balancer shaft helps offset engine vibration for a more comfortable ride.
- Oil pan design allows the exhaust system to trace a straighter line, which contributes to weight savings.
- Large-diameter header pipes contribute to performance throughout the rev range.
- Cooling system layout minimizes weight and external coolant pipes.
- Radiator fan cover directs hot air out to the sides and away from the rider for increased comfort when the fan is activated, such as when riding in heavy traffic. It also helps keep the tank, frame and other parts that the rider contacts cooler, further increasing comfort.
- The assist and slipper clutch(KP) is compact, and it’s operating plates help reduce lever pull for an extremely light feel at the lever. A wide engagement range helps make it easy to control.
- Using the rotational forces of the clutch hub and pressure plate, the clutch is forced together during acceleration (assist function) so that fewer and lighter clutch springs can be used for a lighter feel at the lever. During high back torque, such as when too low of gear is selected during downshifting, the slipper function allows some clutch slippage to help prevent rear wheel hop and stalling due to engine lock-up.
- Close gear ratios facilitate smooth shifting.
Positive Neutral Finder(KP)
- Just lift the shift pedal from first gear at a stop to select neutral easily.
- A Kawasaki exclusive.
Lightweight Trellis Frame
- Trellis frame is similar in design to that of the Ninja H2™. Kawasaki’s advanced dynamic rigidity analysis was used to ensure optimum rigidity with minimal weight, so the frame significantly contributes to the bikes low overall curb mass.
- A short wheelbase and long swingarm complemented by a steep steering angle that provides light, nimble handling.
- Square-tube swingarm construction provides rigidity without unnecessary gusseting, which contributes to weight savings.
- Uni-Trak®(KP) rear suspension linkage ratios and shock settings enhance the ride feel.
- 41mm fork provides rigidity and smooth suspension action so the front wheel has a better planted feel.
- Large 310mm semi-floating petal front disc is gripped by a balanced actuation dual-piston caliper.
- Rigid front brake master cylinder helps eliminate idle stroke for a more positive feel.
- Rear dual-piston caliper with large pistons clamps a 220mm rear petal disc.
- Nissin’s latest compact ABS control unit assists braking under certain conditions.
- Stylish star-pattern 5-spoke wheels are similar to those of the Z650 motorcycle, contribute weight savings, and their optimized lateral rigidity benefits handling by adding to cornering performance.
- Radial tires offer light weight, excellent grip and contribute to both agile handling and riding comfort.
- Relaxed riding position accommodates a wide range of rider sizes and riding situations.
- The seat cushioning is thick, uses low-rebound urethane for added comfort, and is relatively narrow, so that it is easier for riders’ feet to reach the ground.
- Sporty aluminium footpegs provide direct feel when riding.
- Features a relatively upright riding position, wide and straight handlebar and a sporty but forward foopeg position that allows the rider to easily control the bike while offering plenty of comfort.
High Grade Instrumentation
- LCD screen has a negative display for a sporty, modern appearance.
- Gear position indicator helps with shifting precision and confidence.
- Other display functions include odometer, dual trip meters, remaining fuel range, current and average fuel consumption, coolant temperature, clock and Economical Riding Indicator.
- The Economical Riding Indicator illuminates to indicate favorable fuel consumption to help riders maximize fuel mileage.
- Authentic lightweight supernaked built for the street..
- Exudes fresh street style and is immediately recognizable in a crowd with its compact chassis and aggressive styling.
2021 Kawasaki Z400 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $4999 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $6199 CDN
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £ GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)
Engine Type 4-Stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, 4 Valve Cylinder Head, Parallel Twin
Displacement 399 cc
Bore & Stroke 70.0 x 51.8 mm
Maximum Torque 28.0 lb-ft @ 8,000 rpm
Compression Ratio 11.5:1
Fuel System DFI® w/ 32 mm Throttle Bodies (2)
Ignition TCBI with Digital Advance
Transmission 6-Speed with Positive Neutral Finder
Final Drive Sealed Chain
Rake/Trail 24.5° / 3.7 in.
Front Wheel Travel 4.7 in.
Rear Wheel Travel 5.1 in.
Front Tire Size 110/70-17
Rear Tire Size 150/60-17
Wheelbase 53.9 in.
Front Suspension 41mm Hydraulic Telescopic Fork
Rear Suspension Bottom Link Uni-Trak® with Adjustable Preload
Front Brake Type Single 310mm Petal Disc with 2-Piston Balanced Actuation Caliper
Rear Brake Type Single 220mm Petal Disc with 2-Piston Caliper
Fuel Tank Capacity 3.7 gal.
Seat Height 30.9 in.
Curb Weight= 363.8 lb.
Warranty 12 months
Kawasaki Protection Plus™ 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
(Specifications subject to change without notice.)
= Includes all necessary materials and fluids to operate correctly, full tank of fuel (more than 90% of capacity) and tool kit (if supplied).
When equipped, 50-state models with evaporative emissions equipment adds approximately 2.2 pounds.
(KP) = See Kaw-Pedia section for more details.* = Changes from previous model year.
2021 Kawasaki Z400 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
|Engine||399cc, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC 8-valve parallel twin|
|Bore x Stroke||70.0 x 51.8 mm|
|Fuel System||Fuel injection: ø32 mm x 2|
|Lubrication||Forced lubrication, wet sump|
|Clutch||Wet multi-disc, manual|
|Frame||Trellis, high-tensile steel|
|Front Suspension / Wheel Travel||ø41 mm telescopic fork / 120 mm (4.7 in)|
|Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel||Bottom-link Uni Trak, gas-charged shock with adjustable spring preload / 130 mm (5.1 in)|
|Rake / Trail||24.5° / 92 mm|
|Steering Angle (L/R)||35° / 35°|
|Front Tire||110/70R17M/C 54H|
|Rear Tire||150/60R17M/C 66H|
|Front Brake||Single semi-floating ø310 mm petal disc with balanced actuation dual-piston caliper|
|Rear Brake||ø220 mm petal disc with dual-piston caliper|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||1,990 x 800 x 1,055 mm (78.3 x 31.5 x 41.5 in)|
|Wheelbase||1,370 mm (53.9 in)|
|Road Clearance||145 mm (5.7 in)|
|Seat Height||785 mm (30.9 in)|
|Curb Mass**||165 kg (364 lb)|
|Fuel Capacity||14 litres|
|Instrumentation||Multi-function LCD screen with analogue-style tachometer, digital speedometer, gear position indicator, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, remaining range, current and average fuel consumption, coolant temperature, clock and Economical Riding Indicator|
|Kawasaki Protection Plus||12 / 24 / 36 / 48 months|
2021 Kawasaki Z400 ABS – Totalmotorcycle.com European Specifications/Technical Details
Manufacturer Specifications and appearance are subject to change without prior notice on Total Motorcycle (TMW).