Click photo to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
– 2001 Honda GL1800A Gold Wing
The all-new 21st-century Gold Wing shatters traditional touring standards with world-class power, athletic handling and supreme comfort.
EXCLUSIVE 2001 GOLD WING FEATURES
· Powerful new fuel-injected 1832cc six-cylinder engine produces smooth, effortless power-118 bhp and 125 lb./ft. of torque-while meeting the California Air Resources Board (CARB) 2008 emissions standards.
· Beautiful multi-box-section aluminum dual-spar frame assembly is 11.5 kilograms lighter than the previous steel design. Engineered with a Pro Arm® single-side cast aluminum swingarm, the 2001 Gold Wing sets new class standards for handling.
· Honda’s proven Linked Braking System® (LBS®) provides superb braking power in a wide range of operating conditions.
· Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) for even better control during hard braking.
· All-new anti-dive system minimizes front fork dive when braking.
· New, computer-controlled adjustable hydraulic rear suspension preload.
· Redesigned slow-speed electric reverse system.
· All-new, lightweight electronic cruise control system.
· Remote control operates trunk and locks/unlocks trunk and saddlebags.
· State-of-the-art audio system with optional CD player.
· A complete line of bolt-on accessories and appearance items.
· The exhaustively tested 1832cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine is nearly 1.1 kilograms lighter than the previous design.
· Low, forward engine placement and solid engine mounting produce excellent road handling characteristics and impressive low-speed maneuverability.
· Parallel two-valve cylinder head design utilizes direct, shim-under-bucket valve actuation and requires no 1000 kilometres service; the first valve clearance inspection is at 50,000 kilometres.
· Silent-type camshaft chains with automatic adjusters provide reliable, maintenance-free operation.
· 6.9-litre airbox supplies a large volume of cool clean air to the engine.
· Two 40mm-diameter throttle bodies deliver air to six, specially-designed Keihin® 50-psi high-pressure fuel injectors. Fuel is delivered through four nozzle tips in each injector, producing an atomized fuel mixture that is highly combustible, for optimum efficiency and power.
· Electronic CPU provides two digital 3-D fuel injection maps for each cylinder and one digital 3-D ignition map for each cylinder, creating ideal fuel mixture and spark advance settings for superb rideability. Unique knock-control sensor monitors ignition advance to improve performance throughout the entire rpm range.
· CPU-controlled, closed-loop emission control system utilizes two oxygen sensors to constantly deliver a precise, air/fuel mixture while two exhaust catalyzers reduce emissions of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides further.
· Rotary Air Control Valve™ (RACV) provides auto-choke function and maintains precise idle control under widely varying engine loads and operating temperatures.
· High-pressure-formed, sintered iron Nickalloy™ crankshaft bearing caps provide quiet engine operation throughout the engine’s operating temperature range.
· Compact water pump is mounted behind the engine and is driven directly by the crankshaft, reducing complexity and weight while contributing to quicker engine warm-up.
· Engine cooling system features a series-flow coolant flow pattern that improves cold-start rideability and provides rapid engine warm-up.
· Two side-mounted radiators improve cooling efficiency and use low-air-pressure areas created by side cowls to draw cooling air through the radiators and around the rider at highway speeds. Below 25 km/h, thermostat-controlled fans pull cooling air across the radiators into the fairing, keeping hot air away from the rider.
· Sturdy eight plate clutch with maintenance-free, hydraulically-assisted clutch.
· Efficient, stainless steel six-into-two exhaust system produces a pleasing, powerful sound.
· Powerful, 1100-watt alternator uses a dual-damper system to minimize alternator noise.
· Precise-shifting five-speed transmission includes overdrive fifth.
· The innovative aluminum frame is specifically engineered for optimum rigidity with tuned flex. This combination of rigidity and flexibility produces excellent handling, superb riding comfort and wonderful road feel.
· Inherently smooth, flat six-cylinder Gold Wing engine also serves as a tuned stressed frame member. The solid engine mounting system utilizes specially designed hangers and carefully matched mounting bolts to provide both excellent road feel and minimal engine vibration.
· The Gold Wing’s rigid, Pro Arm single-side cast aluminum swingarm provides simplified servicing of the rear wheel and tire while assuring optimum handling.
· Dual full floating 296mm front discs with Linked Braking System (LBS) three-piston calipers and a single ventilated 316mm rear disc with one LBS three-piston caliper provide excellent braking power.
· Honda’s LBS features a second master cylinder and a three-stage proportional control valve (PCV) to couple the three-piston calipers of the dual-front and single rear brake discs. Using the front brake lever activates the outer two pistons of the front right-side caliper and the center piston of the front left-side caliper and, acting through the secondary master cylinder and an inline proportioning valve, the outer two pistons of the rear caliper. The rear brake pedal operates the center piston of the rear brake caliper, the center piston of the front right-side brake caliper and the outer two pistons of the front left-side caliper. A delay valve sensitive to the rider’s pedal pressure smoothes front brake engagement. The Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) features an electric-motor-driven modulator that provides rapid and precise braking-pressure adjustments, resulting in smooth ABS operation. The system incorporates an integrated electronic control unit (ECU), self-diagnostics with an interactive ECU test function, and automatic protection against system failure.
· Massive 45mm front fork houses a cartridge damper in the right leg with 140mm of travel for a smooth yet superb ride in all road conditions.
· All-new anti-dive system minimizes front fork dive when braking. The system utilizes brake fluid pressure generated in the secondary LBS master cylinder mounted on the left fork leg and is activated by input from either the front brake lever or the rear brake pedal. This first-ever application of anti-dive and LBS produces enhanced stability when maneuvering at both low speeds and highway speeds.
· Pro-Link-mounted rear shock provides 104mm of plush travel for relaxed touring or sport riding.
· New, computer-controlled adjustable hydraulic rear suspension preload is easily set by the rider with push-button controls and features a two-position memory.
· Unique, driveshaft-damping system utilizes a double-pipe structure, with a rubber-bonded coating applied to the inner pipe to absorb road shock and engine torque. The long-life design reduces weight in the Pro Arm assembly and simplifies rear wheel maintenance.
· A smaller, lighter final gearcase assembly in the Pro Arm is achieved through the redesign of the pinion gear and ring gear assemblies. This new design eliminates wheel alignment splines and assures accurate alignment of the rear wheel after servicing.
· Cast aluminum 18- x 3.5-inch front wheel and 16- x 5.0-inch rear wheel are lightweight and strong.
· Radial touring tires are specifically engineered for the Gold Wing, providing a combination of excellent traction, cornering grip and tire life.
· The parallel two-valve cylinder head design, together with side-mounted radiators, allows the engine to be moved forward 2 inches for optimum ergonomics, with excellent rider foot room and an enlarged passenger cockpit.
· Placing the rider closer to steering axis also improves steering feel and helps assure even better handling.
· All-new, slow-speed electric reverse system is engaged with the simple push of two thumb controls on the right handlebar.
· All-new, lightweight electronic cruise control system utilizes a 16-bit CPU-controlled, motor-actuated throttle mechanism that is 2.5 times more sensitive to speed variation and responds 40 percent more rapidly than the previous system.
· The Gold Wing’s aerodynamic bodywork is functional as well as beautiful, providing excellent rider wind protection while reducing the drag coefficient a remarkable 10 percent compared to the previous design.
· A simple yet ingenious, ratcheting-windshield adjustment system provides six settings over nearly 4 inches of travel. Operated manually, the mechanism eliminates the weight and complexity of electric motors.
· The Gold Wing trunk provides 61 litres of storage capacity with an additional 5 litres of storage available if the optional CD-changer is not installed. Two full-face helmets fit easily in the trunk. The saddlebags provide 40-plus litres of storage each, resulting in a total of 147 litres of storage space.
· The saddlebag lids feature hydraulic dampers for smooth operation.
· Specially designed luggage features a remote control key-lock, permitting pop-open rear trunk operation, a remote lock/unlock feature for the trunk and the saddlebags, and a horn-actuated bike locator. If remote locking is attempted while a lid is open, the emergency lights flash to alert the rider.
· Storage pockets located in the fairing and rear trunk feature oil-damped doors for smooth operation.
· Soft-touch elastomer provides a luxurious feel to the front console, front and rear pocket covers and the passenger armrests.
· Wind-tunnel-tested flow-through fairing ventilation system.
· Ergonomically designed saddle with a low, 29.1-inch seat height has a plush passenger seat with 2 more inches of room than the previous model. Integral backrest and side support provide all-day riding comfort.
· Panasonic™ state-of-the-art audio system features two enclosed 25-watt stereo speakers for full-spectrum music reproduction with superb bass. Features include 12 FM and six AM preset stations, weatherband radio, station auto-select, headset-ready intercom, auxiliary adapter, ambient audio enhancement, auto volume control, and audio mute. Intuitively designed, console-mounted controls provide all set-up functions while ergonomically designed controls mounted on the left handlebar make rider-activated audio selection a simple process. A hooded, high-resolution LCD display is easy to read in all riding conditions. Options include trunk-mounted six-disc CD changer, 25-watt rear speakers, and a 40-channel CB radio.
· Completely redesigned instrument cluster includes white-on-black analog displays for speedometer, tachometer, coolant temperature and fuel level, and features adjustable backlighting and high-luminescence red pointers. A LCD clock is located in the speedometer face. A high-resolution 110 x 254 dpi LCD, housed in a separate module, is legible in all lighting conditions and displays the odometer, A/B tripmeter, ambient temperature, audio modes, CB, rear suspension setting, and trunk-open indicator. Indicator/warning lights are provided for reverse, neutral, overdrive, oil pressure, fuel injection, high beam, sidestand, cruise on, cruise set, and low fuel.
· New motorized headlight aiming system is operated by a dial switch located on the left fairing panel and provides 2.5 degrees of adjustment from level.
· Large 26.4 litre fuel tank houses the EFI fuel pump and provides excellent long-distance cruising range.
· Illusion Red paint with ChromaFlair® brand light interference pigment alters hue as lighting conditions change.
· Headlight system features two 55W H7 low-beam and two 55W H7 high-beam bulbs with computer-designed multi-reflectors. In high-beam operation, all four bulbs produce a distinctive front lighting signature.
· Cylinder head covers feature Honda 1800 emblem.
· Engine and saddlebag guards help protect the Gold Wing’s bodywork in case of a tipover.
· Silver powder-coated finish helps ensure the Gold Wing’s aluminum frame will remain beautiful for years to come.
· Maintenance-free features include: automatic choke, RACV automatic idle, programmed fuel injection, automatic cam chain adjusters, sealed battery, electronic cruise control, and manually adjusted hydraulic rear suspension preload.
· Handsome two-piece aluminum handlebars are lightweight and strong.
· Adjustable brake and clutch levers.
· Self-canceling turn signals.
· Handlebar switches and controls use new internationally approved graphic symbols.
· Extensive tool kit.
· Dual electric spiral horns trumpet a distinctive note.
· New 20-amp YTX maintenance-free battery.
· Dual helmet locks.
· Fold-down antennas for easy storage.
· Padded passenger handrails.
· Easy-to-use centerstand.
· Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
· Transferable three-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty.
· Assembled in Marysville, Ohio.
· Audio accessories include: six-CD changer, CB radio kit, CB antenna, rear speaker set, audio headsets (available for open and full-face helmets), passenger audio controller.
· Air management accessories include: windshield (available in tall and short sizes), windshield side air deflectors (available in standard and tall sizes), fairing side air deflectors, rear spoiler (four colors) with brake light, lower trunk spoiler (four colors), lower saddlebag spoiler (four colors).
· Functional touring accessories include: heated grips with thermostat, running light kit, accessory socket kit.
· Touring convenience accessories include: removable saddlebag/trunk liner set (available in standard and deluxe type), trunk net, saddlebag/trunk mat set (available in standard and deluxe type), seat weather cover, full cycle cover, front nose mask, trunk vanity mirror with light, trunk inner light.
· Chrome appearance accessories include: front lower cowl, rear undercowl, front fender ornament, front fender extension, front disc cover, passenger floorboard under cover, side fairing accent, windshield garnish, trunk rack (two types), front fender guard rail, saddlebag guard rail, trunk guard rail, saddlebag scuff pads, saddlebag moulding kit, trunk moulding kit, sidestand, exhaust finisher (turndown style).
· Carbon-fiber appearance accessories include: front fender ornament, instrument accent, saddlebag moulding kit, trunk moulding kit.
· Special badging and accent accessories include: front fender emblem, gold emblem set, special cylinder head emblems (three designs), instrument accent (available in wood, carbon and aluminum appearances).
(Accessory availability and specifications subject to change without notice.)
HONDA FIRST–Represents the first use of a significant technology on a mass-production motorcycle.
The ChromaFlair® trademark is a federally registered trademark owned by FLEX Products, Inc., and is used by permission.
1832cc Liquid-cooled, horizontally opposed, 6-cylinder
Bore and Stroke
74mm X 71mm
9.8 : 1
Hy-Vo chain driven, SOHC, shim-under-bucket 2 valve
PGM-FI with auto choke, auto idle, and dual throttle bodies
Wide-ratio, 5-speed + electric reverse
45mm fork with anti-dive, 140mm travel
Pro-link, single-sided-swingarm, with electro/hydraulic, 2 memory spring preload adjustment, 104mm travel
130/70R – 18
180/60R – 16
Dual 296mm floating discs with LBS. triple piston calipers and ABS
Single 316mm disc with LBS. triple piston caliper and ABS
362 kg (799.0 lb.)
25 litres (5.5 Imp. gal.)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national regulation and legislations.