Click on photos to enlarge.
It makes a great desktop image.
– 2003 Honda VTX1300S
Beautiful classic styling. Traditional spoked wheels. 1300cc of muscular VTX power. Introducing the newest member of the VTX family–the 2003 VTX with an all-new 1312cc V-twin engine.
Unique VTX1300S Features
· An all-new 1312cc liquid-cooled 52-degree V-twin engine delivers effortless, rumbling power.
· Offset cylinder design enhances the feeling of the VTX’s powerful engine, while two-axis primary balancers smooth away unpleasant vibrations.
· Deeply valanced front and rear fenders, chrome-hooded headlight, broad fuel tank with tank-mounted instruments, semi-swept handlebar and floorboards with heel-and-toe shifter create a classic retro style that sets the VTX apart from the competition.
· Rider comfort is enhanced with comfortable ergonomics and a firmly padded saddle featuring a low, 686 millimetre seat-height.
· Staggered dual exhausts produce a pleasing, throaty exhaust note.
· Traditional spoke wheels and a fat, 140/80-17 front tire gives the VTX a commanding profile.
· A complete line of bolt-on accessories and appearance items is available.
· VTX engine is a 1312cc liquid-cooled 52-degree V-twin that delivers strong low-end and mid-range torque with ample power for passing and relaxed cruising.
· Dual two-axis primary counter-balancers minimize harsh engine vibration without eliminating the powerful pulses transmitted by the VTX’s traditional V-twin design.
· The engine mounting system uses carefully matched hangers to eliminate unwanted vibration, while preserving the powerful character of the V-twin engine.
· Each three-valve cylinder head features two 31mm intake valves and a large, 40mm exhaust valve to produce optimum flow for the incoming air/fuel charge.
· Simple-to-service screw-and-locknut valve clearance adjusters.
· Single 38mm constant velocity (CV) carburetor offers crisp throttle response at all engine speeds.
· Electronic control unit (ECU) provides 3D ignition maps for each cylinder, creating ideal spark advance settings for superb rideability.
· Coolant-heated carburetor improves rideability and ensures smooth operation in cold conditions.
· Two spark plugs per cylinder for efficient combustion at all engine speeds.
· A unique dry-sump oil system utilizes a closed-crankcase design and places the oil tank inside the gearbox case. The result is a freer-revving engine for improved power, and a lower engine height, allowing optimum rider ergonomics and a low, 686 millimetre seat height.
· Handsome chromed two-into-two exhaust system produces a deep exhaust note.
· Radiator with cooling fan maintains consistent engine temperature for optimum performance and long engine life.
· Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioners.
· Reliable electric-starter system.
· Sturdy clutch utilizes a rubber clutch-center damper to assure smooth and quiet gear shifting.
· Five-speed transmission with carefully selected gear ratios for relaxed cruising and exciting roll-on performance.
· Shaft final-drive system provides smooth, low-maintenance operation.
· New driven flange design in the final-drive gear eliminates final-drive noise and wear and simplifies rear wheel installation.
· Massive tubular steel frame contains the engine’s power and gives the VTX a long, low, classic stance.
· Large, 41mm extended front fork provides 130mm of plush yet responsive travel.
· Dual chromed rear shocks provide 94mm of wheel travel and feature an advanced internal valve system for a comfortable ride.
· Front disc brake features a twin-piston caliper with a large-diameter 336mm stainless steel rotor. Combined with the rear single-piston caliper and 296mm stainless steel rotor, they provide excellent stopping power.
· Traditional spoke wheels, with a fat, 140/80 tire on the 17-inch front wheel, give the VTX a classic profile. A beefy, 170/80-15 rear tire puts the VTX engine’s power to the ground and provides exceptional traction.
· The black resin seat pan/rear fender located under the seat cowl has been designed to position the battery and electrical components forward for optimum mass centralization.
· Specially designed rider and passenger seats for all-day touring comfort. Rider’s seat boasts a low, 686mm seat height for confidence during low-speed maneuvers.
· Handsome tank-mounted chrome housing features a speedometer, odometer/ tripmeter and indicator lights for the turn signals, high beam, neutral indicator, oil pressure and coolant temperature.
· Electric speedometer with easy-to-read classic numerals uses an electronic speed sensor in the transmission, eliminating the front-wheel-mounted speedometer cable contributing to a clean, uncluttered look.
· Extensive chrome finishing of engine parts includes cylinder head covers, valve inspection covers, airbox cover, left crankcase cover, clutch cover and left-rear engine cover.
· Distinctive chrome-hooded headlight housing features a powerful, 55W/60W halogen bulb with a computer-designed multi-reflector for superb lighting in all conditions.
· New laid-back handlebar design provides a comfortable, upright riding position.
· Comfortably padded large-diameter handgrips with polished aluminum handlebar switch housings and triple-clamp assembly.
· Floorboards with heel-and-toe-shifter.
· 18-litre fuel tank for extended cruising and touring range.
· Reliable 364-watt alternator.
· Durable, maintenance-free 14-amp-hour battery.
1312cc liquid-cooled 52-degree V-twin
Bore and Stroke
89.5mm x 104.3mm
SOHC; three valves per cylinder
Single 38mm CV
41mm fork; 130mm travel
Dual shocks with five-position spring preload adjustability; 94mm travel
Single 336mm disc with twin-piston caliper
Single 296mm disc with single-piston caliper
1669mm (65.7 in.)
686mm (27.0 in.)
301 kg (661 pounds)
18 litres (4 Imp. gal.)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national regulation and legislations.