2005 Kawasaski ZZR600
Back to 2005 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
– 2005 Kawasaki ZZR600
NEW ZZR(r)600 PROVIDES STYLE, COMFORT AND NINJA(r) PERFORMANCE
The Kawasaki ZZR600 motorcycle is dramatically changed for 2005, and will strongly appeal to sportbike riders of all skill levels and especially first-time buyers. Based on a previous generation NINJA(r) ZX-6R sportbike, the new ZZR600 features a confidence-inspiring aluminum chassis, high-performance engine, 4-into-2- into-1 exhaust system, powerful six-piston brakes, sleek body work and dual headlights. As such, it offers an unbeatable combination of style and performance, yet it’s comfortable for daily commuting and weekend getaways.
The 599cc, liquid-cooled, inline, four-cylinder engine features dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder. Kawasaki’s Twin Ram Air Induction system – which features a leading-edge air scoop at the front of the bike’s fairing – forces cool air into the ZZR600’s airbox and then onto its four 36mm carburetors. The carburetors also feature the Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC), which monitors the throttle position and adjusts ignition timing for the engine’s four spark-plug mounted ignition coils, maximizing the ZZR’s performance at every rpm.
The ZZR600’s engine is matched to a close-ratio six-speed transmission, providing the rider with the best gear for any riding situation, whether it be freeway droning or sporty backroad work.
A lightweight aluminum perimeter frame provides the backbone of the ZZR600’s chassis, while suspension duties are handled by a fully adjustable 46mm cartridge-type front fork and fully adjustable UNI-TRAK(r) rear suspension.
Stopping power is provided by six-piston calipers gripping dual 300mm semifloating front disc brakes, matched by a 220mm rear disc brake.
The ZZR600 is shod with high-performance radial tires mounted on 17-inch aluminum wheels. The 120/65ZR17 front and 180/55ZR17 rear tires provide maximum traction and help provide a smooth ride over bumpy surface streets and freeway expansion joints. The simple, sleek lines of the ZZR600’s aerodynamic body work are distinctly Kawasaki in appearance and pleasing to the eye. Available in (name of color) Blue for 2005, it strikes an elegant-but-athletic balance with the extruded aluminum frame, angled front fairing, purposeful air scoop and three-spoke wheels.
The ZZR600’s ergonomics make long-distance rides a pleasure: The stepped seat is flat to enhance operator and passenger comfort, and the bars are an easy reach. Plus, the wide mirrors provide the operator with an exceptional view.
The instrument cluster for the ZZR600 is entirely electronic and includes a speedometer, tachometer, coolant temperature gauge, odometer, trip meter and – one of the most desirable of features – a digital clock.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories for the ZZR600 are available through Kawasaki dealers or they can be purchased on the Internet at www.buykawasaki.com. Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and sells at wholesale Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft, utility vehicles, power products and general purpose engines. These product lines are sold through a network of more than 1,500 independent retailers. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 2,400 people in the United States, with approximately 400 of them located at the Irvine, California headquarters.
Kawasaki’s tagline, “Let the good times roll(tm)”, is recognized worldwide and the brand is aggressively carrying its heritage of power, performance, leading-edge design and exhilaration into the 21st century. Information about Kawasaki’s complete line of recreational products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at www.kawasaki.com.
Features and Benefits
599cc Four-Cylinder DOHC Engine
– To decrease engine weight and improve heat transfer, the cylinders have linerless, electroplated aluminum bores
– The combustion chamber uses a pentroof/semi-hemi design with a higher compression ratio for more low end torque and more power throughout the rev range
– The alternator, sump, cylinder head, clutch, and cam chain covers are magnesium to cut weight
– The automatic fan is on the left side of the curved aluminum radiator to save space
– Includes an LCD temperature gauge
– A liquid-cooled oil cooler helps keep the oil cool
Twin Ram Air Induction
– Large ducts for more air pressure, which increases high speed power
– The extended opening increases pressure in the system for excellent volumetric efficiency
Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC)
– A throttle position sensor (TPS) tells the ignition unit how hard the engine is working so it can set the best ignition timing
Transistor Controlled Breakerless Ignition with Digital Advance
– A 16-bit central processing unit responds more quickly to engine needs
– Never needs adjustment
– The rotor has 12 projections to update the processor often
Spark Plug-Mounted Ignition Coils
– Four small ignition coils are in the spark plug caps to reduce overall weight, take up less room, and provide strong, consistent spark
– To meet emissions limits and make even more power at the same time, both California and 49-state models have a pre-catalyzer in the pipe leading to the muffler
– California models also have a catalyzer in the muffler
Fully Adjustable 46mm Cartridge Front Fork
– Large 46mm fork tubes are extra rigid to improve handling performance on the street
– Bottom-Link UNI-TRAK(r) Rear Suspension
– Extruded aluminum swingarm is lightweight and rigid
Linkage ratios offer smooth and linear suspension response
Upper shock mount is threaded for ride height adjustment
Dual Semi-Floating Front Disc Brakes
– The six-piston opposed front brake calipers have differential size pistons and aggressive pad material for excellent feel and bite
– 300mm discus are 5mm thick to stand up to extreme use
220mm Rear Disc Brake
– Small overall diameter saves weight
– Lightweight, single-piston caliper produces quick, sure stops
Lightweight Aluminum Perimeter Frame
– Short wheelbase and steep head angle produce quick, responsive handling
– Rigid design assures good handling and durability
– The speedometer includes a coolant temperature gauge, odometer, trip meter, and a clock
– The tachometer incorporates a coolant warning light
Comfortable Riding Position
– The most comfortable Supersport 600 period
– The handlebars are an easy reach, a nice flat seat gives comfort for long rides and wide mirrors reveal more than your shoulders
– The fairing and windscreen offer an easy ride with great protection from the elements
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories
Including tank bra, locks, alarm, bike cover
Engine: Four-stroke DOHC inline four, 16 valves
Bore x stroke: 66.0 x 43.8mm
Compression ratio: 12.8:1
Carburetion: (4) Mikuni BDSR 36R
Transmission: Six speed
Frame: Aluminum perimeter design
Rake / trail: 23.5 degrees /
Front suspension: 46mm Cartridge Front Fork, fully adjustable
Rear suspension: UNI-TRAK(r) rear linkage, 20-way compression and rebound damping, ride height adjustment
Front wheel travel: 4.7 in.
Rear wheel travel: 5.3 in.
Front tire: 120/65ZR17
Rear tire: 180/55ZR17
Front brakes: 300mm dual hydraulic disc with six-piston calipers
Rear brakes: 220mm hydraulic disc
Overall length: TBD
Overall width: TBD
Overall heigh: t TBD
Seat height: 32.3 in.
Ground clearance: TBD
Dry weight: 377 lbs.
Wheelbase: 55.1 in.
Fuel capacity: 4.8 gal.