2006 Honda 919 (Hornet CB900F)
Back to 2006 Honda Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
– 2006 Honda 919 (Hornet CB900F)
2006 Honda 919 (Hornet CB900F)
Ever wonder what Honda’s factory race mechanics ride when they take a break from wrenching? Well, you’re looking at it: the 919, packing the ultimate one-two prize-fighting punch of CBR900RR-derived muscle squeezed into a rigid, lightweight chassis. And topped off with arguably the most important feature of all: attitude.
The 919 is performance motorcycling with its sleeves rolled up, a pared-down, lightweight package ready for any kind of riding you like.
Features & Benefits
New for 2006
– Exciting new Candy Red color.
– Muscular 919cc open-class engine–inspired by the legendary CBR®900RR–pounds out impressive torque and surprising top-end horsepower.
– A feathery, 428-pound dry weight makes the 919 the lightest bike in its class.
– The comfortable, upright seating position is ideal for commuting, sport riding and long trips.
– Honda’s latest programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) and electronic digital ignition maximize power output and offer immediate throttle response.
– Stylish, dual center-up exhausts exit below the rear cowl.
– Massive square-tube mono-backbone frame and a large aluminum swingarm combine to provide an ideal balance of rigidity and flexibility for superb road feel.
– 43mm adjustable cartridge front fork, single-shock rear suspension and lightweight cast aluminum three-spoke wheels contribute to exceptional handling.
– Compact 919cc DOHC liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder engine is tuned for low-end and mid-range power for spirited acceleration.
– One-piece upper crankcase/cylinder assembly, right-side cam-drive design and a narrow, 32 degree included valve angle help make the 919 engine the lightest, most compact powerplant in its class.
– Sixteen-valve cylinder head with a 10.8:1 compression ratio promotes efficient combustion and high horsepower production.
– Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system is compact, ensures high-rpm durability and allows 16,000-mile valve maintenance intervals.
– High-pressure programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) delivers fuel at 50 psi to four injectors, each mounted in a 36mm throttle body. Fuel is delivered through four laser-drilled nozzle holes in each injector, producing a highly atomized air/fuel charge for maximum combustion efficiency and power.
– Advanced programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) features a sophisticated throttle sensor and advanced fuel-injection mapping to produce smooth and linear throttle response, responding precisely to fine throttle adjustments.
– 16-bit electronic control unit (ECU) provides two digital 3-D fuel injection maps for each cylinder and one digital 3-D ignition map for cylinder pairs, creating ideal fuel mixture and spark advance settings for superb rideability.
– Liquid-cooled oil cooler and a lightweight aluminum radiator keep engine temperatures in check for consistent performance and long engine life.
– Spring-loaded scissors-type gear on the drive side of the crankshaft and a rubber-mounted, floating clutch-cover help reduce noise.
– Weight-saving features include a compact, lightweight one-piece alternator.
– Unique four-into-two-into-one-into-two exhaust design features expanding-diameter tubing leading into the two center-up mufflers, contributing to strong mid-range torque and an exhilarating exhaust note. Stainless steel exhaust header and main pipe are attractive and corrosion-resistant. Polished stainless steel muffler-covers shield passenger’s legs from muffler heat.
– High-capacity, 380-watt AC generator.
– Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioner.
– Smooth-shifting six-speed transmission with gear ratios carefully matched to the engine’s powerband.
– Durable #530 O-ring-sealed drive chain.
– Massive square-tube mono-backbone steel frame utilizes the engine as a stressed frame member. Together with the reinforced steering head, the chassis provides an optimal balance of rigidity and tuned flex for superb handling.
– A single box-section downtube reaches down to a unique front engine-mount that incorporates a cross-member to link the frame to the engine’s solid front mounts.
– Lightweight aluminum swingarm features a large one-piece cast pivot block and extruded triple-box-section spars.
– 43mm cartridge front fork with adjustable preload with compression damping and 4.3 inches of travel offers unparalleled rigidity for precise action and excellent handling on a variety of road surfaces.
– Lightweight aluminum upper triple-clamp adds rigidity for even better steering control.
– Single-shock rear suspension features a high-quality damper with seven-position-adjustable spring preload, 5.0 inches of plush wheel travel and a remote fluid-reservoir for added suspension control in all riding conditions.
– Braking system features two huge, 296mm front discs with four-piston calipers and a 240mm rear disc with a single-piston caliper for exceptional stopping power.
– Aluminum-alloy super-light, hollow three-spoke wheels with 3.5 x 17-inch front and 5.5 x 17-inch rear dimensions.
– Wide, durable vinyl-covered seat with thick foam padding provides plush comfort for commuting and two-up day trips.
– A stylish hugger-type rear fender closely follows the curve of the rear tire.
– Valve, ignition, and clutch covers are black.
– Gold colored front and rear brake calipers.
– Instrumentation includes a clock, digital odometer with two tripmeters, black face analog speedometer, tachometer, water temperature with white numerals, indicator lights for neutral, FI (fuel injection), oil pressure, low fuel and high beam.
– 5-gallon fuel tank is hinged for servicing ease.
– Aviation-style fuel cap.
– Engine-mounted manual fuel enricher provides smooth idling speed for cold engine starts.
– A bank-angle sensor shuts off fuel supply to the PGM-FI system if the motorcycle tips over, but is unaffected by bumps and vibration during normal operation.
– A large multi-reflector headlight with a twin-filament H4 low/high beam provides superb roadway illumination.
– Maintenance-free battery is lightweight with sufficient starting capacity for all riding seasons.
– Rugged plastic chip-guards on top of the fork sliders protect the front suspension from flying debris.
– Aluminum passenger grabrail.
– Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
– Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
– Transferable one-year unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
– Ownership includes one-year complimentary membership for an individual in the Honda Rider’s Club of America™ (HRCA®). Benefits include: discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance, one year of Honda Red Rider™ magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site (www.hrca.honda.com) and access online to Honda Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA. For dealers only, please call (310) 783-3958.
– Sport Shield.
– Center Stand (Not available for CA models).
Engine Type: 919cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder
Bore and Stroke: 71mm x 58mm
Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Carburetion: PGM-FI with manual enricher circuit
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping
Final Drive: #530 O-ring-sealed chain
Front: 43mm cartridge fork with adjustable preload and compression damping; 4.3 inches travel
Rear: Single shock with seven-position spring preload adjustability; 5.0 inches travel
Front: Dual full-floating 296mm discs with four-piston calipers
Rear: Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper
Front: 120/70ZR-17 radial
Rear: 180/55ZR-17 radial
Wheelbase: 57.5 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 25.0°
Trail: 98mm (3.9 inches)
Seat Height: 31.3 inches
Dry Weight: 428 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 5.0 gallons
Color: Candy Red
Meets current CARB and EPA standards.
California version differs slightly due to emissions equipment.