2008 Kawasaki KLX140
Back to 2008 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Kawasaki KLX140
2008 Kawasaki KLX140
INTRODUCING THE 2008 KAWASAKI KLX™140
Big Performance Delivered by a Fun-Sized Dirtbike
New riders, parents and pit racing zealots come in many size and experience levels, so why relegate them to simple one-sized machines? That’s exactly the question Kawasaki’s engineers pondered before creating the new KLX™140 and 140L dirtbikes. To help satisfy a wide variety of riders in the small displacement off-road arena, this new model is offered in two wheel sizes, the more elementary 17” front / 14” rear wheeled KLX140 and the larger 19” front / 16” rear wheeled KLX140L. Both are designed to be friendly for beginners and novices, while also offering a roomy layout and enough performance to suit more-advanced riders.
An orange LED inside the on/off switch illuminates to indicate when electrical power is “ON” and the fun begins as soon as the rider’s thumb meets the KLX140’s electric start button. The high-revving, yet quiet, engine is wrapped in a high-tensile steel perimeter frame that uses the same upper tubes as the KLX250S and is covered by KX™-like shrouds, while a two-tone seat cover and sharp, aggressive body work complete the modern KX-inspired design theme. The 140’s controls also share KX genes, from the same grips as the top-level MX racers to the narrow footpeg/frame relationship combined with large footpegs that make it easier for the rider to move around with a minimum of effort.
This model’s KX influence is more than skin deep; its development team not only included young test riders, but also pro SX/MX racers and Kawasaki’s motocross engineers to give the KLX140 the same pedigree as the World Champion KX models. The effects of this talented group are evident in the KLX 140’s ergonomically friendly layout, responsive engine power, five-speed transmission and dirt-worthy suspension.
Both variants have a 33mm fork with spring rate and damping settings specific to each version. The KLX140 rear shock features 5-way preload adjustability, while the larger KLX140L’s aluminum shock includes a piggyback reservoir, fully adjustable preload, 4-way compression and 22-way rebound damping to suit high speed operation by heavier riders. To provide more options for growing riders; the standard KLX140 is also capable of accommodating the more-advanced shock from the KLX140L.
Abundant power from the air-cooled SOHC 144cc engine flows through a five-speed, close-ratio transmission that contributes to the KLX’s accelerative performance. Its manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master full control over shifting. To promote an easy learning curve, the clutch features a spring damper that provides a progressive, two-stage engagement and facilitates half-clutch use while riding at extremely slow or idling speeds. Additional benefits of this system are a more direct clutch feel and increased durability.
RK EXCEL aluminum rims and high-grade die-cast hubs are another sign this isn’t your little sister’s play bike. A large 220mm front disc and 27mm twin-piston caliper at the front and a 186mm rear rotor grace the KLX140L with serious stopping power. Both use petal shaped discs, which help clean the brakes and reduce unsprung weight for better performance.
An ideal blend of small stature and big potential that simply equals fun for most rider sizes from kid to adult, the new KLX140 and KLX140L promise to rewrite the playbike rules.
Reliable & easy to use engine
– New 144 cc air-cooled single-cylinder engine offers a lightweight power plant that is both simple to operate and to maintain
– Bore and stroke of 58.0 x 54.4mm
– Engine revs easily and allows riders to use the full range of the engine up to the rev limiter at 10,500 rpm
– Exhaust pipe is curved to achieve optimum length for good power character yet remain unobtrusive
– Quiet-running muffler comes equipped with a USFS approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX140/140L can access designated public off-road riding areas
– Oil-moistened air-filter is washable, reusable, highly effective in dusty situations and easily serviced
– Starting is via a (keyless) electric starter button just in front of the upper triple clamp
– Starter button features an orange LED light activated when the button is depressed, indicating that the power is “ON”
– Digital CDI ignition helps ensure quick, reliable starting
– Based on the oval piston-valve Keihin PB20, the carburetor features several Kawasaki-original modifications to provide stable fuel delivery under rough off-road conditions
– Partitions in the float chamber keep the fuel from sloshing excessively and an umbrella around the main jet traps fuel when jumping
– Dual air vents help provide a stable fuel supply and eliminate hesitation, even when the bike is at extreme lean angles
– Needle valve is suspended on a spring which acts like a shock absorber
– Float is rubber instead of plastic
– Close gear ratios help the acceleration performance of the KLX
– Like the KX models, the shift lever features a ball bearing to ease shifting and has a folding tip for less damage in a crash
Progressive manual clutch
– Manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
– A spring damper in the clutch gives it a 2-stage engagement that permits half-clutch use when riding at extremely low rpm or idling speeds and helps provide direct clutch feel and better durability
Box-section perimeter frame
– Ready for the off-road abuse, the highly rigid, KX-inspired high-tensile steel perimeter frame also uses the same upper tubes as the KLX250S
– Aluminum swingarm offers both light weight and strength and a hairline finish like on the KX machines
– KX-style chain adjusters allow precise adjustment of the chain
– 33mm telescopic front fork has spring rates and damping settings specific to each model
– KLX140 rear shock features 5-way preload adjustability
– Intended for a higher average speed, the KLX140L features a rear shock with piggyback reservoir with fully adjustable preload, 4-way compression damping and 22-way rebound damping
– Higher-grade KLX140L rear shock body and reservoir are aluminum and can also be mounted on a standard KLX140
– Strong, high-grade die-cast hubs that offer the same durability as those found on the KX
– Durable, lightweight RK EXCEL aluminum rims.
– KLX140 and KLX140L offer two sizes to choose from, 17/14-inches front/rear and 19/16-inches front/rear, respectively
Petal disc brakes front & rear
– Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX450F/250F) for strong and easy-to-control braking.
– Front brake master cylinder is same model as used on the KLX250S
– Rear wheel is slowed by a 186mm petal disc gripped by a 27mm single-piston caliper.
– Rear brake master cylinder features a large-volume, unitized reservoir that contributes to stable braking and helps ensure sufficient fluid pressure is maintained – even when the brake pad wears down
– In addition to helping reduce unsprung weight, the wave shapes of the petal discs help clean the brake pads for more efficient braking performance
– Footpeg/frame relationship is modeled after the KX for maximum leg grip
– Combination of the flat surface of the frame’s box-section, long footpegs mounted close to the bikes’ centerline and no kick-start lever add up to good grip and a high level of machine control available to the rider
– Handlebar is rubber-mounted for reduced vibration transferred to the rider’s hands
– It is easy to install an aftermarket handlebar thanks to the two-piece upper triple clamp and handle clamp
– Raised pattern on half of the surface of the grips just like the top-class MX racers
– Two-tone seat cover with a slip-resistant top surface for good grip when seated and smooth sides for excellent rider mobility
Sharp, aggressive styling
– Box-section perimeter frames, high-grade suspension and KX-style wheels, the KLX140 and KLX140L have the performance to back up their sharp, aggressive design and new advanced styling similar to that found on the KX racers
– Two-piece shrouds with ventilation holes inspired by the top-of-the-line KX race machines
– Fuel tank cover presents a flush transition from tank to shroud, and contributes to the high level fit and finish
– Eye-catching box muffler design protrudes as little as possible from behind the side cover, and features a plastic muffler end-cap that offers a surface cooler to the touch than steel
SPECIFICATIONS USA – 2008 Kawasaki KLX140:
Engine: Four-stroke, SOHC, two-valve single
Bore x stroke: 58.0 x 54.4mm
Carburetion: Keihin PB20
Compression ratio: 9.5:1
Transmission: Five-speed with wet multi-disc manual clutch
Final drive: Chain
Frame: High-Tensile steel, box-section perimeter
Rake / trail: TBD degrees / TBD in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 33mm telescopic fork / 7.1 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: (KLX140) UNI-TRAKÃ‚® linkage system and single shock with 5-way preload adjustability, (KLX140L) UNI-TRAKÃ‚® linkage system and single shock with piggyback reservoir, fully adjustable preload and 22-way rebound damping / 7.1 in.
Front tire: 70/100-17 (KLX140), 70/100-19 (KLX140L)
Rear tire: 90/100-14 (KLX140), 90/100-16 (KLX140L)
Front brake: Single 220mm petal disc with a dual-piston caliper
Rear brake: Single 186mm petal disc with single-piston caliper
Overall length: TBD
Overall width: TBD
Overall height: TBD
Ground clearance: TBD
Seat height: TBD
Dry weight: TBD
Fuel capacity: 1.4 gal.
Color: Lime Green
MSRP KLX140 / 140L: $2,699 / $2,999
SPECIFICATIONS Canada – 2008 Kawasaki KLX140:
Type 4-stroke, Single
Displacement 144 cc
Bore and Stroke 58.0 x 54.4 mm
Compression Ratio 9.5:1
Valve System SOHC, 2 valves, screw type adjusters
Carburetion Keihin PB20
Ignition Digital DC-CD
Lubrication Forced lubrication, wet sump
Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual, cable operation
Transmission 5-speed, return
Primary drive Gear
Final drive Chain
Primary reduction rati 2.880 (72/25)
Gear ratios: 1st 2.666 (40/15)
2nd 1.894 (36/19)
3rd 1.473 (28/19)
4th 1.181 (26/22)
5th 1.000 (24/24)
Final reduction ratio 3.571 (50/14)
Type Perimeter, box section, high-tensile steel
Wheel Travel: Front 180 mm
Wheel Travel: Rear 180 mm
Tires: Front 70/100-17
Tires: Rear 90/100-14
Caster (Rake) 27°
Trail 85 mm
Front 33 mm conventional fork
Rear Uni-Trak with 5-way adjustable spring preload
Rear: Type 186 mm petal disc
Front: Type 220 mm petal disc
Overall Width 790 mm
Overall Height 1049 mm
Wheelbase 1260 mm
Seat Height 780 mm
Dry Weight 88 kg
Fuel Capacity 5.8 L
Overall Length 1821 mm
Ground Clearance 235 mm
Good Times Protection Plan 24 or 36 months (Kawasaki GTPP coverage begins after standard limited warranty expires)
Warranty 6 months
Colour Lime Green
Specifications and features are subject to change