2008 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
Back to 2008 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
Credible performance in an efficient and affordable package
Kawasaki’s Ninja® 500R strikes a perfect balance between function, form and budget that is rarely achieved in the sport bike world. This practical sportbike is ready to rip, but friendly enough for beginners to feel confident in its manners.
At the heart of this excellent platform is the Ninja 500R’s 498cc liquid-cooled, inline twin-cylinder four-stroke engine. Its dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder, make for a robust motor that is both beginner-friendly and rousing to expert riders. No slouch, this half-liter engine has enough gusto to let novices expand their skills and keep even the most seasoned riders quite happy exploring the upper end of its rev range.
Letting the high-performance engine live to its full potential is a lightweight and compact design. One of the major selling points for the Ninja 500R, its great-handling is aided by Kawasaki’s UNI-TRAK® rear suspension system, with a progressive linkage similar to the larger-displacement Ninja models. With the motor and chassis combo, the bike begs to be taken out on twisty back roads.
And the Ninja 500R also shares the same sporty styling of its bigger siblings, with an aerodynamic half-fairing that provides wind protection for the rider and is stylishly complemented by a lower fairing.
Twin-cylinder 498cc Engine
– Compact parallel-twin design
– Superior engineering produces sport bike power with broad usable torque
– Good mass centralization for superior handling
– Provides consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
– Allows closer engine tolerances for more horsepower
– Includes temperature gauge
Auxiliary Cooling Fan
– Maintains optimum temperature for best performance, fuel economy and reliability
Four Valves per Cylinder
– Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
– Better breathing for more power at high rpm and strong low-end torque
– Compact combustion chamber for increased compression ratio without detonation on today’s gasolines
34mm CVK Semi-flat Slide Carburetors
– Precise fuel metering provides uniform power delivery at all engine speeds
– Quick throttle response
– Microprocessor-controlled timing never needs adjustment
– Ultra-responsive to engine needs
– Translates into a gear for all speeds, excellent acceleration and relaxed highway cruising
Positive Neutral Finder
– A Kawasaki exclusive
– Just lift the shift pedal from first at a stop to find neutral easily, every time
Standard Half Fairing
– Offers rider wind protection for more comfort
– Incorporates large, easy-to-read instruments with two resettable trip meters
– Stylish lower fairing completes the Ninja® image
Double-cradle Steel Box-section Frame
– High-tensile steel perimeter frame
– Lightweight, with superior rigidity for more precise handling and better control
37mm Front Fork
– Large-diameter fork tubes with thin walls for light weight and exceptional rigidity
Dual-Piston Caliper Front Disc Brake
– Disc is drilled for better cooling and reduced unsprung weight
– Dual-piston caliper increases braking effectiveness
Bottom-link UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
– Lowers the center of gravity for better handling
– Progressive rate provides a smoother, more controlled ride
– Lightweight aluminum components provide quick suspension response
Rear Disc Brake
– Powerful and controllable
– Single-piston caliper
– Wide, modern 17-inch rims fit low-profile, high-performance tires
Sidestand and Centerstand
– Permits easy parking, cleaning or servicing
– Affordable retail price
SPECIFICATIONS USA – 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 500R:
Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, parallel twin
Bore x stroke: 74.0 x 58.0mm
Compression ratio: 10.8:1
Carburetion: Keihin CVK34 x 2
Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
Final drive: Chain
Frame: High-tensile steel, perimeter design
Rake / trail: 27 degrees / 3.6 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 37mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 5.1 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAKÃ‚® system with single shock / 3.9 in.
Front tire: 110/70×17 tubeless
Rear tire: 130/70×17 tubeless
Front brake / rear brake: Hydraulic disc / Disc
Overall length: 82.5 in.
Overall width: 27.6 in.
Overall height: 45.7 in.
Ground clearance: 4.7 in.
Seat height: 30.5 in.
Dry weight: 388 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 4.8 gal.
Wheelbase: 56.5 in.
Color: Metallic Diablo Black
SPECIFICATIONS Canada – 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 500R:
Specifications and features are subject to change