2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
Back to 2008 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
KAWASAKI’S NINJA® ZX™-6R EQUALS TWO-WHEELED EXCITEMENT
The natural choice for your inner racer
A true race winner, the Ninja® ZX™-6R sportbike captured a 1-2 finish in the 2007 Daytona 200 and placed 1-2 in the 2007 AMA Supersport championship, thanks to a merger of 600-class power and Grand Prix handling. The result is an exciting racetrack weapon capable of cornering speeds previously unknown to the middleweight class while retaining the wide spread of power that is pure Ninja.
To deliver the performance required in the demanding racetrack environ, the Ninja ZX-6R’s ultra-high-rpm 599cc four-cylinder engine cranks out a fat powerband with a linear torque curve and hard-hitting acceleration across the entire rev range. Its impressive healthy mid-range torque and over-rev capability are pure race bike, allowing riders to stay on the gas where lower-revving machines are forced back off and shift.
The Ninja ZX-6R’s engine was specially designed for minimal internal friction, so it is more responsive and allows the rider to easily modify cornering lines with minor throttle adjustments. Utilizing stronger, stiffer and more compact engine components than its predecessors resulted in a slim and compact engine and chassis. Its racing heritage also includes a close-ratio cassette transmission that makes it easy to keep the ZX-6R screaming at its horsepower peak and a slipper clutch for quick downshifts that don’t upset the rest of the chassis.
A compact, lightweight chassis design permits the Ninja ZX-6R to make a fast entry –enhanced by the slipper clutch and powerful radial-mounted front brake calipers –and maintain more cornering speed throughout the turn.
The frame and swingarm were developed with an ideal balance of rigidity, so the bike responds instantly and precisely to the rider’s every command. Mass centralization, engine mount locations and a variety of other factors were optimized to help its instant turn-in characteristics. Once in the turn, the Ninja ZX-6R holds a line with precision and tracks through the apex as if it were on rails. Completing this track-biased package are fully-adjustable front and rear suspension units.
All these features mean very accurate chassis feedback, with the ZX-6R communicating every move directly to the rider. The machine responds more precisely and predictably to control inputs and shifts in body weight. The result is a motorcycle that becomes one with the rider.
The entire package of frame, suspension, engine and bodywork enhances the ZX-6R’s fun-to-ride factor while supplying the high-performance power of a 600cc Supersport racer and the nimble handling of a small-displacement GP machine. The results are faster cornering speeds, quicker lap times and even more worried looks on the competition’s faces. So let the opposition compromise performance for rider-friendliness; the Ninja ZX-6R is a pure expression of Kawasaki’s racing philosophy and is designed to take home trophies.
– Incredible power-to-weight ratio
– Race-oriented performance
– Track-tuned handling
– Aggressive aerodynamic styling
High-Revving 599cc Four-Cylinder, DOHC Engine
– Compact, narrow and lightweight design
– Tri-axis crankshaft and transmission shaft layout optimizes the engine’s center of gravity, reduces pitch changes during heavy braking and gives the rider more-accurate feedback from the chassis
– Light and strong forged pistons
– Narrow engine design gives excellent ground clearance
Four-Valve Cylinder Head
– Low cylinder head height with compact valve train
– Intake ports and coolant passages developed using flow analysis for efficient cylinder filling, more power, and maximum cooling efficiency
– Forged sintered aluminum spring retainers are half the weight of steel retainers and allow higher rpm
Ram Air Induction
– Central ram air duct offers a straighter path to the airbox for maximum intake efficiency and provides the mounting surface for the instrument panel, eliminating brackets and weight
– Flow analysis used to design efficient ducts to the airbox that also prevent water from reaching the air filter
– Compact airbox and air cleaner are highly efficient and contribute to the minimal riding position
Digital Fuel Injection
– 38mm throttle bore helps produce more torque in the mid-range, while short throttle body length delivers good over-rev characteristics
– Ultra-fine atomizing injectors aid combustion efficiency, for better power output and lower fuel consumption
TCBI Ignition with Digital Advance
– High-speed 32-bit ECU processor provides precise engine management
– Spark plug-mounted ignition coils are compact and help reduce weight
Pre-chamber Equipped Under-seat Muffler
– Exhaust header design contributes to improved exhaust efficiency
– Exhaust pre-chamber located below the engine contributes to better mass centralization
– Under-seat silencer is small and light to help mass centralization and allow for a more aerodynamic tailsection
– Cassette-type transmission with a racing-style gear stack allows easier trackside ratio changes
– Close ratio transmission increases circuit performance
Racing-Style Slipper Clutch
– Racing-type slipper clutch reduces chassis disturbance when making rapid downshifts
– Optional springs, spring retainers and shims are available to fine-tune the clutch for specific track conditions
Gear Position Sensor
– Gear position sensor gives instant information to the rider, this is especially useful for improving consistency when testing settings on the racetrack
– System is compatible with the semi-automatic shifters (legal in AMA Supersport racing), which temporarily cut ignition to facilitate clutchless shifts at full-throttle
Lightweight Twin-Spar Aluminum Perimeter Frame
– Twin-spar perimeter-type frame is a mix of pressed and cast aluminum components welded together. This combination minimizes frame weight while still providing high strength and stability for responsive handling
– Chassis’s optimum center of gravity makes for easy roll response – particularly important negotiating a series of s-turns or returning to vertical after exiting a corner
Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension
– Uni-Trak® rear suspension system features pillow ball upper mount for a more direct feel and improved feedback
– Compact frame and engine allow a longer swingarm, which makes it easier to control rear wheel powerslides
– Rear shock is fully adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping. Ride height can be adjusted by adding/removing optional 1mm shims at the upper shock mount
– Equipped with a top-out spring which improves the rear wheel’s ability to follow the road surface when the rear end is light under hard braking
– Small piggyback shock reservoir is designed to save weight
41mm Inverted Cartridge Front Fork
– Fully-adjustable 41mm inverted cartridge fork provides exceptional rigidity
– Equipped with top-out springs so the front wheel better follows the road surface when the front end is light during hard acceleration
– Bottom mounted main fork spring completely submerged in oil, minimizing cavitation and delivering stable suspension performance even under demanding racetrack conditions
– Stiff settings are suitable for track use
Radial Mounted Front Disc Brakes
– Radial mounted four-piston, four-pad front brake calipers improve brake feel over a wider range of operation
– A separate brake pad is used for each piston. Individual pads provide increased cooling efficiency and can absorb more heat without deforming or losing brake feel at the lever than a large single pad, so they maintain consistent brake feel lap after lap
– Petal design brake discs offer excellent cooling and warp resistance
– Design is the most aerodynamically efficient of any Ninja sportbike available
– Three-piece front fender with light and compact projector beam headlights and integrated front and rear turn signals add up to high aero efficiency
– Small but highly efficient ram air duct
– Exhaust system’s under-engine resonator allows the use of a smaller under-seat muffler, which allows a cleaner tail section further minimizing drag
– Different color panels create a sporty, aggressive image
– Ultra-compact chassis permits a ideal man-machine interface
– Slim fuel tank design makes it easier to grip the tank and seat when hanging off in a turn
Advanced Electronic Instrumentation
– Multifunction odometer, tripmeter, clock and lap timer/stopwatch
SPECIFICATIONS USA – 2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R:
Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
Bore x stroke: 67.0 x 42.5mm
Maximum torque: 40 lb ft @ 11,500 rpm
Compression ratio: 13.3:1
Fuel injection: DFIÃ‚® with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles, two injectors per throttle body
Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
Transmission: Six speed
Final drive: X-ring chain
Rake / trail: 25 deg / 4.3 in.
Frame type: Aluminum perimeter
Front tire: 120/70 ZR17
Rear tire: 180/55 ZR17
Wheelbase: 55.3 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 41 mm inverted cartridge fork with top-out springs, stepless rebound damping, stepless compression damping, fully-adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Bottom-Link Uni-TrakÃ‚® with gas-charged shock, top-out spring and pillow ball upper mount, dual-range (high/low-speed) stepless compression damping, 25-way adjustable rebound damping, fully-adjustable spring preload / 5.2 in.
Front brakes: Dual 300mm petal rotors with four-piston, four-pad calipers
Rear brake: Single 210mm petal rotor with single-piston caliper
Fuel capacity: 4.5 gal.
Seat height: 32.3 in.
Dry weight: 368.2 lbs.
Color choices: Lime Green
Candy Plasma Blue
Special Edition: Ebony
MSRP standard / special edition: $9,099 / $9,399
Warranty: 12 Months
SPECIFICATIONS Canada – 2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R:
Specifications and features are subject to change