2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic
Back to 2008 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic
KAWASAKI’S VULCAN® 2000 CLASSIC: TRADITIONAL CRUISER PANACHE PLUS MODERN MUSCLE
Earth shaking torque and classic good looks
If the awesome size, power and performance of the Kawasaki Vulcan® 2000 is appealing, but a more traditional “cruiser” look is your style, the Vulcan 2000 Classic is the motorcycle you seek. A traditional-style headlight, “buckhorn” handlebar bend, a plush passenger seat for increased comfort and other special details adorn the same brawny chassis and engine found on the Vulcan 2000.
Complimenting its time-honored good looks, the Vulcan 2000 Classic’s 2,053cc V-Twin features a 103 x 123.2mm bore and stroke, forged pistons, alloy-steel connecting rods, a huge 220mm flywheel, dual cams located within the one-piece crankcase and right-side pushrods actuating four valves per cylinder. The push rod design reduces the 125 cubic inch engine’s height, directly contributing to the Vulcan 2000’s low center of gravity and relatively low seat height. Plus, hydraulic valve lash adjusters automatically maintain zero valve clearance for smoother, quieter operation.
Matte black finished Vulcan 2000’s cylinders provide a dramatic contrast to the polished cooling fins – which manage the temperatures for the bottom three-quarters of the engine. The top quarter of the V-twin engine is liquid cooled. Additionally, the engine and transmission have built-in oil and water pumps, and the transmission serves as the oil tank.
An electronic engine control unit (ECU) manages the fuel injection system with dual 46mm throttle bodies and sub throttle valves, combined with an iridium spark plug ignition system to provide sharp throttle response at any rpm. The sub-throttle valves and fine atomizing injectors help the Vulcan 2000’s fuel injection provide a smooth, linear power band with increased power and optimum fuel economy. Cruiser enthusiasts will appreciate that classic V-twin rumble from the Vulcan 2000’s dual polished mufflers, thanks to its single-pin crankshaft, while dual counter balancers and rubber engine mounts keep the vibrations at bay.
The engine is utilized as a member of the Vulcan’s steel, double-cradle frame, which has a large-diameter, box-section single-tube backbone. A simple but elegant rear steel tube swingarm suspension with a direct-action single shock provides 3.9 inches of travel, and includes spring preload and rebound adjustment. Up front, a large 49mm fork provides precise steering feedback and 5.9 inches of travel.
The Vulcan 2000 Classic rolls on bright, cast aluminum 16-inch wheels with a 150/80 front radial tire and a wide, 200/60 rear radial tire. Dual 300mm front disc brakes with four-piston calipers and a single rear disc brake with two-piston caliper bring this big cruiser to smooth, powerful stops.
– 2,053cc four-stroke engine produces massive torque across the entire rpm range
– Strong and light forged pistons and alloy connecting rods
– Huge 220mm flywheel smoothes power delivery
– Push-rod valve actuation contributes to lower engine height, low center of gravity and relatively low seat height
– Hydraulic valve adjusters reduce maintenance
– Engine Control Unit (ECU) manages electronic fuel injection and digital ignition system optimizes throttle response
– Fuel injection system features sub throttle valves for smooth throttle response
– Fine atomizing injectors in the fuel injection system deliver ultra-fine fuel/air mixture for greater combustion efficiency, increased power and optimum fuel economy
– Center spark plugs enhance combustion for smooth, consistent power and reduced emissions
– Liquid and air cooling maintain consistent operating temperatures
– Engine and transmission feature built-in oil and water pumps, reducing weight and the number of parts
– Single-pin crank contributes to a classic V-twin sound
Transmission / Final Drive
– A gear position sensor in the five-speed transmission sends signals to the ECU, further enhancing fuel injection and ignition performance
– Uses a smooth, quiet, reliable and low maintenance belt final drive
Frame and Suspension
– Steel double-cradle frame features large-diameter, box-section single-tube backbone for strength
– Utilizing engine as a stressed member of the frame minimizes chassis weight
– Steel tube swingarm is simple and elegant
– Direct-action single shock features spring preload and rebound damping adjustment with 3.9 inches of travel for a smooth ride
– Large 49mm forks provide precise steering feedback and 5.9 inches of travel
Wheels and Tires
– 16-inch cast aluminum wheels add to the Vulcan 2000 Classic’s high-quality look
– Fat 200/60R series rear tire enhances the muscular appeal of the Vulcan
– Radial tires enhance handling and give a firm, “planted” feel
– Dual 300mm front disc brakes with four-piston calipers and single rear disc brakes provide smooth, powerful stops
– Classic-style headlight
– “Buckhorn” style handlebar bend for increased rider comfort
– Thick passenger seat for great comfort
– Etched insignia on right side airbox cover
– Distinctive speedometer face
– Ignition key located on top of fuel tank
SPECIFICATIONS USA – 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic:
Engine: Four-stroke, 52-degree V-twin, dual cams, eight valves
Bore x Stroke: 103mm x 123.2mm
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
Maximum Torque: 141 lb-ft @ 3,000 rpm
Cooling: Liquid, plus cooling fins
Induction: Digital fuel injection, dual 46mm Keihin throttle bodies
Ignition: TCBI with Digital Advance
Frame: Steel, double-cradle with box-section single-tube backbone
Rake / Trail: 32 degrees / 7.2 in.
Suspension, Front / Wheel Travel: 49mm telescopic fork / 5.9 in.
Suspension, Rear / Wheel Travel: Triangulated steel pipe swingarm with direct-action single shock, fully-adjustable spring preload, eight-way rebound damping / 3.9 in.
Front Tire: 150/80-16
Rear Tire: 200/60-16
Brakes, Front Dual 300mm discs with four-piston calipers
Brakes, Rear: 320mm disc with dual-piston caliper
Overall Length: 99.8 in.
Overall Width: 40.4 in.
Overall Height: 45.5 in.
Ground Clearance: 5.3 in.
Seat Height: 26.8 in.
Dry Weight: 750 lbs.
Fuel Capacity: 5.5 gal.
Wheelbase: 68.3 in.
Colors: Metallic Diablo Black
Warranty: 12 Months
SPECIFICATIONS Canada – 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic:
Specifications and features are subject to change