2008 Kawasaki Z1000
Back to 2008 Kawasaki Motorcycle Index Page
Click photos to enlarge for detail.
They make great desktop images.
– 2008 Kawasaki Z1000
2008 Kawasaki Z1000
KAWASAKI’S Z1000 IS A FUN AND HONEST PERFORMER WITH WILD NAKED STYLING
Blending just the right amount of brawn and finesse
Kawasaki upped the ante in the naked bike arena with the entrance of the Z1000. Beyond its muscular torque delivery and radical styling, the Z1000 dishes out a visceral riding experience. This purpose-built Kawasaki is equally at home in the garages of both practical motorcyclists — simply seeking a smile-producing weekend ride and owners desiring a bike that doesn’t fit the norm.
This Kawasaki version of nakedness has been tuned to satisfy the most demanding musclebike riders. The Z1000 features serious low-rpm grunt courtesy of focused engine tuning and gear ratios ideally match to serious street riding. Not only does the Z1000’s 953cc four-cylinder torque curve provide low-end get-up-and-go, but the pull continues through the mid-range, giving the rider extra thrust for conquering road challenges and providing the great exhilaration expected from a liter bike.
Matching the delivery of power from the spirited engine is a highly communicative chassis that permits the Z1000 to offer formidable maneuverability. Kawasaki achieved this remarkable feat by making a sub-frame for the engine –now a stressed member of the frame –and further tailoring the chassis flex with a combination of rigid and rubber engine mounts. The overall result is a confidence-inspiring ride and high levels of feedback with a superb level of control, since the rider is better able to understand what the bike is doing.
A 41 mm inverted front fork compliments the Z1000’s potent chassis and delivers exceptional steering performance. Its smooth action in the top half of the stroke is harmonized by firmer damping in the bottom half. This gives the plush initial feeling of a long-stroke suspension, and allows a firm, planted feel in corners –a combination which makes the bike both easier to ride as well as adept at carving through the rider’s favorite canyon. The bottom-link Uni-Trak rear suspension has a nitrogen gas charged shock with piggyback reservoir with settings that balance the front fork and help to offer exceptional road holding. Together the front and rear settings make the bike’s pitching motions more predictable and easier to interpret. The superior ride quality is particularly noticeable when commuting or riding around town.
As the Z1000 is essentially a supersport with a view of its brawny engine, its Ninja-like brake components are no surprise. Radial-mount brake calipers and a radial-pump front brake master cylinder offer precise brake control and superb feel at the lever. The enhanced brake performance allows riders to concentrate more on their riding, secure in the knowledge that the Z1000’s excellent brakes are up to the task.
First-rate mass centralization and ergonomics are major factors in the enhanced rider and machine synergy. The close handlebars of the Z1000 and slim saddle combine to create a compact riding position. This lets the rider take full advantage of the motorcycle’s great stability and sharp, nimble, handling characteristics, while making short work of their favorite ribbon of asphalt.
While providing maneuverable, functional transportation in a daily environment, the Z1000 provides the ability to unleash the fun-seeker in every rider – an unavoidable side-effect when a responsive engine and maneuverable chassis are coupled together. When it comes right down to it, isn’t that what motorcycling is all about?
– Outstanding low and mid-range torque
– Street-oriented performance
– Comfortable and sporty riding position
– Uniquely aggressively styling
953cc Four-Cylinder, DOHC Engine
– Compact, narrow and lightweight design
– Cam profiles optimized for low-mid rpm power
– Heavy flywheel mass gives a more satisfying mid-range power feeling
– High-performance ECU maintains optimum tuning parameters
– Ultra-fine injectors and 36mm throttle bodies with oval sub-throttles deliver an ultra-smooth response across the rev-range
– Dual mufflers in a 4-2-1-2 arrangement contributes to a healthy mid-range performance, while dual-outlet muffler caps help foster the Z1000’s aggressive quad-pipe look
– Exhaust valve on the right-side muffler (just upstream of the silencer) helps “tune” back-pressure waves for enhanced response in the low-mid range
– Iridium plugs deliver a hotter spark for high combustion efficiency
– Transmission gearing complements the low-mid range torque performance
– Ball bearing shift lever and shift drum contribute to a smooth shifting with superb feel at the lever
– Clutch springs with a low spring rate equal a light clutch feel
– Lightweight radiator keeps the engine cool without adding excessive pounds
– Semi-rigid mounted engine utilized as a stressed member to provide optimal chassis flex during high performance riding
– Engine mounts located behind the cylinder, closer to the engine’s center of gravity, transmit less engine vibration to the rider for a much improved ride quality
– Pressed aluminum swingarm, swingarm bracket and engine mounts combined for a less rigid frame, allowing better chassis feedback and less engine vibration
– 41 mm inverted front fork delivers brilliant steering performance
– Fork damping rates go from smooth action at the top of the stroke to firm damping at the bottom for a comfortable feeling that makes the bike easier to ride and more adept at high performance maneuvers
– Tuned to complement the front fork, the bottom-link Uni-Trak rear suspension features a nitrogen gas charged shock with piggy back reservoir
– Radial-mount brake calipers and radial-pump front brake master cylinder offer precise brake control and superb feel at the lever – Triple petal brake discs offer better cooling and warp resistance and less unsprung weight
– A 250 mm rear disc offers abundant rear brake control
– Instrumentation gives at-a-glance information to the rider
– Analog-style tachometer provides quick and clear rpm data
– LCD features a digital speedometer, odometer, tripmeter, water temp, fuel gauge and clock
SPECIFICATIONS USA – 2008 Kawasaki Z1000:
Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
Bore x stroke: 77.2 x 50.9mm
Maximum torque: 72.8 lb/ft @ 8,200 rpm
Compression ratio: 11.2:1
Fuel injection: DFIÃ‚® with four 36mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles, ultra-fine atomizing fuel injectors
Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
Transmission: Six speed
Final drive: X-ring chain
Rake / trail: 24.5 deg. / 4.0 in.
Frame type: Backbone, high-tensile steel tubes and cast aluminum engine sub-frame
Front tire: 120/70 ZR17
Rear tire: 190/50 ZR17
Wheelbase: 56.9 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm inverted cartridge fork with stepless rebound damping and adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Bottom-Link Uni-TrakÃ‚® with gas-charged shock, stepless rebound damping and adjustable spring preload / 5.9 in.
Front brakes: Dual 300mm petal rotors with radial-mount four-piston calipers
Rear brake: Single 250mm petal rotor with single-piston caliper
Length Overall: 82.3 in.
Width Overall: 30.7 in.
Height Overall: 41.9 in.
Seat height: 32.3 in.
Fuel capacity: 4.9 gal.
Color: Pearl Crystal White
Warranty: 12 Months
SPECIFICATIONS Canada – 2008 Kawasaki Z1000:
Specifications and features are subject to change